Menus are changing!

Menu changes happen for lots of reasons, but it's a fair bet that the core of each of those reasons is money. Some may call it "cheapening out", some may call it "cutting costs" but it's still about making profit margins. Not so much being cheap but increasing profits.

- Free Dining, mostly hurts the hotels, but having full restaurants is a good way to gauge what is popular and what is not. If something is not popular and not being ordered than it is not only inventory invested that sits losing money, but also taking a slot on a menu where there might be another profitable offering.
- It's been explained on here before by in the know, dining locations have to negotiate reimbursement for dining plan credits. If the minds can not meet on a common need for reimbursement on an item, then odds are that menu item is in peril. Many use the dining plans, and that impacts dining location profits.
- We must remember that Disney is a group of profit centers, many of them. If a location finds that the profit margin on a particular item (I believe the pork shanks at Gaston's may have fallen in to this) is too low then they will remove the item from the menu. They have profit margins they must meet.
- How does Disney increase sales? with good menus and good items that some may want to call the chefs having the ability to be creative and imagineering. But it is also on those chefs to create special items at a cost that still maintains profit margins ... and maybe even keeps every chair filled.
- Many food items are not developed at the restaurants but at Disney's test center and their chefs.
- Why did Skipper's dumb down some of the menu? Empty chairs. They have to fill chairs and the menu is what will do it. Filled chairs = money.
- Why does Pizza Planet/PizzeRizzo have bad "pizza" and they make no effort to change ... because people buy it, it's obviously very profitable .... so until people don't buy it then there is no reason for a menu change.
- Obviously some restaurants, particularly signature, the Chefs are expected to bring their own touches and specialties to the menu ........ but again ........ those items must still have a cost/price that correlates to expected profit margin.

I think the list can go on and we can pull out all the theories but when you make them simple, it boils down to expected profit margins aka money.

I have no issues with others having opinions, nor do I "like to argue".

LOL - I'll take your word for it, but when I read your posts, in my head they sound like Anger from Inside Out.

I do enjoy your posts though, just as I enjoy Lewis Black in real life! :-)

Someone-is-wrong-on-internet.png

This is why I never sleep. It's an endless job. :cutie:

Reactions: KVH
If what you are getting is a glob of fat, then it hasn't been done right. That's not what pork belly is supposed to be, and in my experience, not what the pork belly at the Poly is at all. It was delicious.

Ditto. I had the Pork Two Ways at CA Grille and it wasn't fatty at all. It was delicious. It just tasted like some sort of pork brisket with the tenderloin. It was amazing. If it all fat it's not done right.

Has anyone had the macadamia pineapple pancakes? Description sounds the same so I'm hoping its only in name on the menu. Literally for the past 5 trips I've been meaning to try them and something comes up and I have to cancel the ADR. Now I have an adults only trip planned for Oct and was looking forward to finally getting there...but if its changed then I'll cancel. Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

T
Has anyone had the macadamia pineapple pancakes? Description sounds the same so I'm hoping its only in name on the menu. Literally for the past 5 trips I've been meaning to try them and something comes up and I have to cancel the ADR. Now I have an adults only trip planned for Oct and was looking forward to finally getting there...but if its changed then I'll cancel. Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

The macadamia pancakes are always a must for me. I did make reservations again this year. I was wondering if they are eliminating the actual macadamia nut from the recipe. I know it has the macadamia butter but I like the texture of the nuts with the pancakes.

:sad2::crazy2::sick::scared:

If we had a vomit smiley, I'd be using that. Had pork belly one time, at the California Grill. You all can have it, yuck!!!!!!!!

I haven't had it yet, but my pre-supposition (borrowed from other thread :tongue:) is I won't like it. I like my bacon crispy and don't care for a lot of fat on my steak, chicken, pork, etc.. Also, part of what I like about bacon is the taste from being cured. With that being said, I don't think I'd like an uncured lump of fat. I will try it before passing judgement, but without having tried it yet, I'm leaning towards no. :yoda: Like it not will I. Try it still I will. Surprised may I be.

I'm getting Stitch again today trying to click on menus. Wonder if they're changing more...

I haven't had it yet, but my pre-supposition (borrowed from other thread :tongue:) is I won't like it. I like my bacon crispy and don't care for a lot of fat on my steak, chicken, pork, etc.. Also, part of what I like about bacon is the taste from being cured. With that being said, I don't think I'd like an uncured lump of fat. I will try it before passing judgement, but without having tried it yet, I'm leaning towards no. :yoda: Like it not will I. Try it still I will. Surprised may I be.

If you happen to be at the Food & Wine Festival and the Brazil booth offers, you must try it there. Delicious! It didn't tasty fatty at all.

It was one of my favorite items at the F&W, and it had tough competition. I really enjoyed most of the stuff I tried.

...And the Surf & Turf is back off the Narcoosses menu. It was nice for the week or so I thought I was going to be able to order it in August. Now I'll just have to order the twin lobster tails...:P

I can't believe they got rid of the Samoan! :sad2: That was literally my favorite breakfast anywhere. I wonder if they will still make it for me if I beg???

I don't think so. Looking at the current California Grill menu listed, chicken is gone, Ostrich is in. The same steak is still listed.

FWIW, we dined at California Grill on 5/5/17 and there was a chicken dish on the menu. I didn't notice any other significant differences from the menu currently on MDE, but there was chicken (pan roasted, I think). It was good, but the first of many Disney meals so I don't remember the exact details or the sides that came with it o_O

...And the Surf & Turf is back off the Narcoosses menu. It was nice for the week or so I thought I was going to be able to order it in August. Now I'll just have to order the twin lobster tails...:P

We always get the Surf and Turf at Narcoosses's and last year it was not on the menu. We had to order the filet mignon and add the lobster as an enhancement. It was the same dish and same price. It seems like this year it will cost a dollar more...I can deal with that.

Is anyone reading the new menu? :p

Yes the Samoan isn't on there, but did you read the description of the Kona Benedict? Sounds like a great replacement! Poached eggs over Kalua pork changed to Poached Eggs with Citrus-Chili Hollandaise Sauce and Char Siu Pork Belly on Toasted Hawaiian Bread.

I did read the menu and pulled pork sounds much better to me than does pork belly. I will, however, try it :)

Just checked mine (days after finalizing our plans, of course lol), and for the most part, not too big of a deal. In fact, I'm kind of relieved Sci-Fi is changing it up. But Kona is disappointing. That's become our breakfast tradition on MK day, but only one member in our party actually cares about tonga toast. The macadamia nut pancakes are simply "pancakes" now, no Big Kahuna, and no Samoan? It may be out for us. Oh well, onto new things!
I am adopting your attitude. "on to new things". We always started our trip with the Samoan and ended with the Samoan. (Well, I did anyway. My husband likes the macadamia nut pancakes.) Anyway...the replacement might be good. But I liked my pulled pork hash. Time for something new for breakfast. So sad.

Just had the new egg's Benedict at Kona which replaced the Samoan, although I miss the samoan, this eggs Benedict was fantastic, the pork belly was well trimmed and not super fatty. it was also cubed up into 1/2 inch cubes and easy to pick up with the egg and Hawaiian roll the chili citrus hollandaise was great as well and was the only apprehension I had when ordering this. We had the Butter Poached lobster Benedict at Cali Grill Brunch the day before and I may have enjoyed the new eggs Benedict at Kona a little more :crazy2:

I sincerely hope it stays on the menu when I get back there next winter.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter