Members Only Cruise - pros and cons

rstackjd

Mouseketeer
We got the announcement for the 2016 Member's Cruise from NY to Nova Scotia and we're pretty interested. We've done a number of Disney and Non-Disney cruises and Atlantic / Canadian Coast has been on the Wishlist, so this one caught our eye.

We've never done the Member Cruise and are interested in candid thougths on the pros and cons. Obviously it is substantially more in points / $ (we are crusing the Magic in December for 4 nights and the cost was 204 points pp for a Navigator Veranda. For the Member Cruise - also 4 nights - it would be 295 points)

From what we hear, they are pretty generous with the goodies and giveaways. Is it good stuff or just random junk?

What about the "special guests, programs, etc - are those worthwhile? (obvisouly we are DVC memebr's so we drank the kool aid a long time ago)

If decide to spend the points and $ for this one, I see it as a "once time / bucket list" kind of trip -

So what say those who have done them - go or no go?

Thanks!

Below are pictures of the entertainment guide and daily gifts from the 2014 Member Cruise (click to view larger image):

A Member Cruise is definitely on my bucket list one day, but I just can't fathom the cost for what it is. I do love the look of that swag though :)

I found most of the swag to be OK to useless, and definitely not a reason to do the DVC cruise. But, the interaction with WDW icons, such as they guy who made most of the rides at WDW, the lecture from a Pixar creator about how an animated film is made, Broadway songs sung by 2 leading B'way signers, and the voice of Goofie doing the relay races on CC were awesome. My family still talks about the DVC cruise. I thought it was worth it.

The question is if the guest speakers are worth the extra money? It's all up to the buyer.

Disney doesn't give money away so they charge a premium because they are Disney and an additional premium because we are DVC and have money.

:earsboy: Bill

We are Platinum Level Castaways (been on 15 DCL voyages) but never on the Member Cruise. We are sincerely interested in this September 2016 trip. My question is how hard is it to get the reservation on November 15th when the phone lines open up? Should I expect to wait on hold for hours to talk to someone? Is there a danger it could sell out before I get through? Is this like a rock concert where I'll have to keep dialing over and over? Just want to know what to expect from anyone who has been through this drill before. Thanks. :)

We are Platinum Level Castaways (been on 15 DCL voyages) but never on the Member Cruise. We are sincerely interested in this September 2016 trip. My question is how hard is it to get the reservation on November 15th when the phone lines open up? Should I expect to wait on hold for hours to talk to someone? Is there a danger it could sell out before I get through? Is this like a rock concert where I'll have to keep dialing over and over? Just want to know what to expect from anyone who has been through this drill before. Thanks. :)

Our first member cruise was the 2015 Alaska MC, and we absolutely loved it. I would do another MC in a heartbeat, but the timing of this one is difficult for us. As for calling on the day, it is a little insane. If you look at some of the threads (I think I started the one for the Alaska MC), you'll see our experience evolve in real time. I got a busy signal for about 2 hours, on hold for about 20-25 minutes, and then was able to book my very first choice of cabin (a 9B). So I would have a list of choices available, especially if you want a high-demand (usually lower-priced) cabin. And bring your patience, but don't panic, I don't think it sells out in the first hour.

Last edited:
Been on 3 DCL cruises and a 4th coming in March. One of those was a Member cruise. I LOVED IT. Was it worth the extra cash. Well, anything is worth anything if you think it is. Value is perceived right? Personally, I didn't do it for the "stuff" and the stuff was cool but not necessary. It was the experience. We got to see special guest (Couldn't see all the ones we wanted because some over lapped in times) and more than that, we got to meet tons of people that all had the same thing in common with us - DVC. We all had drank the kool aid so there was a different vibe on board. Maybe it was just me but I felt that way so it was a bit more fun over all for me.
We did not use points as it's generally bad us of points in general but the points needed for MC was crazy so cash was king.
As far as how long to wait. I dialed the phone the minute the reservation lines opened up and got through right away and got the cabin/class I wanted. Had I waited, I don't know if I would have got that. I've heard of members being on hold for a while to get through.
I live in FL so I won't, sadly be going on this next MC as with the price of the cruise w/ plane tix are just a little rich for my blood right now. If I could, I would do it again in a heart beat.

Our first member cruise was the 2015 Alaska MC, and we absolutely loved it. I would do another MC in a heartbeat, but the timing of this one is difficult for us. As for calling on the day, it is a little insane. If you look at some of the threads (I think I started the one for the Alaska MC), you'll see our experience evolve in real time. I got a busy signal for about 2 hours, on hold for about 20-25 minutes, and then was able to book my very first choice of cabin (a 9B). So I would have a list of choices available, especially if you want a high-demand (usually lower-priced) cabin. And bring your patience, but I don't think it sells out in the first hour or

Thank you. I'll go to bed early the night before and have on my game face. :)

Another question - I'm pretty sure when booking this cruise the cash portion has to be paid in full at the time of the reservation right? Not like a regualr DCL Booking where you make a deposit and then have time to pay the final bill?

Thanks again - I think we're going to bite the bullet and do it!

Another question - I'm pretty sure when booking this cruise the cash portion has to be paid in full at the time of the reservation right? Not like a regualr DCL Booking where you make a deposit and then have time to pay the final bill?

You are correct

Yes, but if you put it on the Disney Chase Visa, you get the six months interest-free deal.

Here's the thread a bunch of people posted to last year for the 2015 cruises:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/whos-calling-to-book-the-member-cruises.3293620/
Bear in mind that there were two Member Cruises booking on the same day, so although the phone experiences were similar, I think the demand on the Bahamas cruise sold categories out faster than the Alaska cruise.

Here's the thread a bunch of people posted to last year for the 2015 cruises:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/whos-calling-to-book-the-member-cruises.3293620/
Bear in mind that there were two Member Cruises booking on the same day, so although the phone experiences were similar, I think the demand on the Bahamas cruise sold categories out faster than the Alaska cruise.
That thread helped me SO much. I can't thank you enough. My expectations are more properly set now. AND I never though of dialing on two phones! Great idea. :)

Glad I came across this thread! I'll be trying to book, my "roomie" will be trying as well. When 1 of us gets through, the other will stop, but we will have another phone to chat with each other.

I have been on 4 MCs so far, and I go for the entertainment, especially the Broadway singers and the illustrators. I like learning about Disney things, hearing from people who worked on Inside Out for instance. The "gifts" well, we all have a preference for the types of souvenirs we like. I prefer cruise specific pins, the picture (this year I took one with DH & I with Anna & Elsa, it is my favorite!) and perhaps a calendar, all of which we did get this year, and more. Yet, I smile at the "reserved parking" sign we got on the 2014 cruise, in Cape May, our house has a reserved parking space, so it's used!

Only 1 time did I not call in the designated day. That year when I did decide, only more expensive cabins were available, but 3 of us went and we loved the huge balcony, all of us were satisfied. This time we're trying for a navigator's veranda. I have spoken to cruisers who have had a wait list for inside come through. Yes you pay in full at booking, but the refund is generous if you cancel before a certain date, so there are cancellations.

I hope we all get what we want on booking day!

Bobbi:)

I understand that a MC cruise is part of your "bucket list" but maybe you should wait till 2017 or 2018 to fulfill your "bucket list" MC cruise item. Other than what goes on on the cruise, there is really not much in the way of port calls or excursions to interest anyone on this cruise. Halifax is nice in the summer but by October it's getting pretty cool or downright cold not only in Halifax but at sea as well. Remember that the water temp will be in the low 50's so your chances of grabbing some "rays" while spending two days at sea are pretty slim. Late Sept and early Oct are also peak Hurricane season in New England and even a 300 mile miss of a minor storm and make even the most seasoned mariner( and their stomach) wanting for dry hard land.

While personally, I cannot fathom spending this much money on a cruise, if I am going to spend the money, I at least want to enjoy the cruise to a warm climate and interesting ports of call, especially if this is to satisfy my "bucket list."

Doing a member cruise is on my wish list but not for 2016. The 2016 MC sailing doesn't do it for me plus I have other vacation plans already confirmed for 2016.

I understand that a MC cruise is part of your "bucket list" but maybe you should wait till 2017 or 2018 to fulfill your "bucket list" MC cruise item. Other than what goes on on the cruise, there is really not much in the way of port calls or excursions to interest anyone on this cruise. Halifax is nice in the summer but by October it's getting pretty cool or downright cold not only in Halifax but at sea as well. Remember that the water temp will be in the low 50's so your chances of grabbing some "rays" while spending two days at sea are pretty slim. Late Sept and early Oct are also peak Hurricane season in New England and even a 300 mile miss of a minor storm and make even the most seasoned mariner( and their stomach) wanting for dry hard land.

While personally, I cannot fathom spending this much money on a cruise, if I am going to spend the money, I at least want to enjoy the cruise to a warm climate and interesting ports of call, especially if this is to satisfy my "bucket list."

Thank you for this reality check! DH and I have been seriously considering booking the trip for our 15th anniversary. But the weather hadn't crossed my mind! You just saved us over $4k! :)

Well, for those of us that ARE going to "dialing for cabins" on November 15th - can we plan to meet here on this thread with updates? It will be helpful to share wait times and availability with one another. I can see from reading the link shared above from last year's reservation day that it could be less "lonely" while sitting on hold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter