Member Services Breaking 11 Month Rule!

I'm sorry brand new owner here trying to keep up. This comment:

caught my attention. Could someone explain what this means? I have a June UY, does this mean I cannot book a trip from Feb 1-May 31 and take that trip?
@sbarisch - that rule does not apply if you are booking a DVC resort. It only applies if you are booking something in one of the "Collections" with points, like a cruise or a stay at a non-DVC resort like CS or CBR.

@sbarisch - that rule does not apply if you are booking a DVC resort. It only applies if you are booking something in one of the "Collections" with points, like a cruise or a stay at a non-DVC resort like CS or CBR.
Oh, thank you for the quick reply! That is good to know. Mine is a resale DVC anyway, so that doesn't affect me.

I'm sorry brand new owner here trying to keep up. This comment:

caught my attention. Could someone explain what this means? I have a June UY, does this mean I cannot book a trip from Feb 1-May 31 and take that trip?

Only when booking the Disney and Concerige collections, like cruises and ABD, etc., not DVC.

So, one has to have points bought direct or prior to 2012 in order to even do those.

No restrctions for DVC bookings.

Oh, thank you for the quick reply! That is good to know. Mine is a resale DVC anyway, so that doesn't affect me.

Your resale can still be used to exchange into RCI. It's best use is still DVC though.

The trade talk is built up as more of a benefit than it really is by DVC guides and marketing. Often it's best to rent your points out and pay cash for cruises and such.

(As an fyi for others reading about the last 4 month restriction with trades - Disneyland hotels do not have the rule of 4 restriction.)

Your resale can still be used to exchange into RCI. It's best use is still DVC though.

The trade talk is built up as more of a benefit than it really is by DVC guides and marketing. Often it's best to rent your points out and pay cash for cruises and such.

(As an fyi for others reading about the last 4 month restriction with trades - Disneyland hotels do not have the rule of 4 restriction.)
@KAT4DISNEY knows this, but for those who don't:
And neither does RCI. Those exchanges had their own criteria. Specifics can be found on the Members website.

Last edited:
so much stuff gone for the first booking date. Cannot be real.

There were quite a few rooms still this morning that you could book October 1st.

Not so much now In studios and 1 bedrooms. But, I think it is definitely real and between the 50th and normal walking this time of year, it’s expected.

But, the holes we saw last week, no longer showing for any rooms types.

Last edited:

Just wondering if anyone who e-mailed DVC (*about the holes in availability around the 50th) received a reply?

What would interest me the most (and I know this is me living in a dream world) would be for DVC to have a concrete legal rule about whether they can or cannot pull rooms ahead of the 11th month- and to be clear about that with it's members- and then ABIDE by that rule (ha-ha-ha)

I finally got through to Terri and she has introduced me to one of there VP's and gave me the name of the member rep on the Condo board. ( no surprise it's a dvc employee) I am working on setting up a phone call and will report back. I had to get mad in order for her to take me seriously which sucks. They truly only take complaints seriously if they think the PR could be bad. She put in writing to me they have to abide by the same 11 month rules. So the question I am looking to get answered is then why are these random nights being booked or blocked ahead of that.

I have a reservation for a Grand Villa at the Grand Californian for June 15 and 16 and want to extend it to June 17. Since today is the 16th of July, the earliest anyone can book is for June 16, 2021. The only way for someone to be able to book the 17th is to have a reservation for the 16th today.

When I went to add the 17th to my existing reservation I found that it was booked! Who has it? The only way to have a reservation for the 17th today, is to have a reservation for the 16th, which I have.

Just spend a lot of time with Member Services and there is someone who has a reservation on the 17th without having a reservation on the 16th. I can't get any more information than that! This is breaking the 11 month rule.

I am super upset about this. Trying to get a Grand Villa at the Grand Californian is a nightmare, even though this is our home resort. By the way, the new DVC property being built by the Disneyland Hotel will also only have two Grand Villas.
Has anyone heard if DVC is doing anything for us since we lost so many months to make reservations?

Has anyone heard if DVC is doing anything for us since we lost so many months to make reservations?
Just curious... what did you have in mind?
YOU are the Club. You own it. Anything a Member gets will come from another Member’s pocket.

Just curious... what did you have in mind?
YOU are the Club. You own it. Anything a Member gets will come from another Member’s pocket.

I believe that Aulani owners continued to get exceptions (banking and maybe extensions) on their points as the closure there continued thru November although I only read one or two posts so not positive. It would be nice if VGC owners also ended up with that.

I believe that Aulani owners continued to get exceptions (banking and maybe extensions) on their points as the closure there continued thru November although I only read one or two posts so not positive. It would be nice if VGC owners also ended up with that.
Oh I agree, but that still comes at a price for other Members.

Is that true on the 15% change? Would seem to not work as Easter changes quite a bit in terms of specific dates, and those changes definitely eclipse 15% threshold if we are just looking at actual dates. (Maybe Spring Break regardless of dates is the exception to that rule?).

I hear you that its not worth it for 1 year though, they also couldn't have predicted the excess point issue based on when the charts came out/pandemic occurred.

Actually, it is not 15%. It is the annual dues that cannot change more than 15% a year, absent an actual vote of the members.

As to points needed for a room, the annual change cannot exceed 20%. up or down, for any given date, except that there is no limit to total points per night, up or down, that can be made for key holiday periods that change dates annually -- the two Easter weeks (Sat a week before Easter to Fri after Easter), the three Thanksgiving days, or at some non-WDW resorts, the beginning or ending dates of the Christmas and some other seasons In any event, no matter what changes are made, total points for the year need to remain the same.

Be aware that other than the usual change you get by part of those holidays changing dates, there was a major change at WDW exceeding 20% made for the Monday to Friday of Easter week (but not week leading up to Easter or Easter ) beginning 2021 -- that Monday to Friday has now moved into the season that is below Premier Season.

Last edited:

The extension for Aulani owners was banked 2018 points would now be valid until end of Feb 2021, instead of the November 30th that had already been announced...so an additional 3 months, and it included banked 2018 for Dec UY.

It also extended banked Feb 2019 points until the end of February...an additional month.

But, it was only Aulani owners...not any member who had reservations there during closure.

Actually, it is not 15%. It is the annual dues that cannot change more than 15% a year, absent an actual vote of the members.

As to points needed for a room, the annual change cannot exceed 20%. up or down, for any given date, except that there is no limit to total points per night, up or down, that can be made for key holiday periods that change dates annually -- the two Easter weeks (Sat a week before Easter to Fri after Easter), the three Thanksgiving days, or at some non-WDW resorts, the beginning or ending dates of the Christmas and some other seasons In any event, no matter what changes are made, total points for the year need to remain the same.

Be aware that other than the usual change you get by part of those holidays changing dates, there was a major change at WDW exceeding 20% made for the Monday to Friday of Easter week (but not week leading up to Easter or Easter ) beginning 2021 -- that Monday to Friday has now moved into the season that is below Premier Season.

Thanks for that percentage. I wasn't positive it was 15% but knew it was something similar.

Thank you for the clarification!

I finally got through to Terri and she has introduced me to one of there VP's and gave me the name of the member rep on the Condo board. ( no surprise it's a dvc employee) I am working on setting up a phone call and will report back. I had to get mad in order for her to take me seriously which sucks. They truly only take complaints seriously if they think the PR could be bad. She put in writing to me they have to abide by the same 11 month rules. So the question I am looking to get answered is then why are these random nights being booked or blocked ahead of that.
That is excellent information. So they do have to abide by the same 11 month rule as members! Please keep us posted as you find out more!

They've done it again! I have a reservation for Dec. 20-22, 2021 and wish to add on the 22nd and 23rd - but the 22nd isn't available. As TODAY is the 21st, the 22nd cannot be reserved without the 21st also being reserved - and that isn't available because I have one of the few rooms for that night.

urrrgghhh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter