Member Exclusive Charter…

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
How does DVC use the points people pay to get cash to pay DCL for the charter? If people use VGF points and other people use SSR points, are the VGF points more valuable to DVC? I don’t understand the process. Why suddenly is DVC getting Into chartering cruises? They did last year on the Wish, and now next year to the Private Islands.

Can anyone explain why a Charter Exclusive cruise is good for members? I really enjoy the special presentations/entertainers they have on DVC MC. They absolutely don’t have those things on these new Charter Exclusive cruises.

Last edited:
For exchanges, points are points but my guess is that what they earn for them by renting more than covers the cost to provide these events.

To me, it is just another option for those who are eligible for membership extras. I don’t think it’s a matter of being good or bad but just something additional those who qualify can take advantage of doing!

I really would love to do one next year but we are already slated for a Bermuda cruise so not going to be one of these.

If people use VGF points and other people use SSR points, are the VGF points more valuable to DVC?
That depends entirely on how DVC monetizes those points. But the real answer is: not necessarily. The VGF rooms rent for more, but they also require more points. It's also possible that some of this inventory is reserved for rental after Members have a running start at booking the same time, which means the "leftovers" are the things getting rented.

Edited to add: and of course, the VGF points might not be used to reserve VGF rooms for rental.

Last edited:
How does DVC use the points people pay to get cash to pay DCL for the charter? If people use VGF points and other people use SSR points, are the VGF points more valuable to DVC? I don’t understand the process. Why suddenly is DVC getting Into chartering cruises? They did last year on the Wish, and now next year to the Private Islands.

Can anyone explain why a Charter Exclusive cruise is good for members? I really enjoy the special presentations/entertainers they have on DVC MC. They absolutely don’t have those things on these new Charter Exclusive cruises.

I was curious about this, too. I've never been on a DVC Member or DVC charter cruise before and the difference between the two are confusing to me, as far as points/payments are concerned. I wish Disney had released more info with their announcement, rather than just a teaser. I would have been more excited to take the Lighthouse Point cruise if it was a DVC cruise with all the DVC perks, etc.

I’ve heard using DVC points for cruises is not getting their full value…thoughts?

To add to what was posted, it also depends on how willing you are to rent points to use the cash then to pay.

For us, we have used points and would do it again if it replaces one of our Disney trips and we have enough to still do what we want!

But, to be fair, we wouldn’t cruise regularly so that would change things if we did.

I will add that we have booked a cruise with points once too!

On my second DCL cruise, I met a DVC owner that purchased his DVC points for OKW in the first year they were available. He has used his DVC points pretty much exclusively for Disney Cruises. He had a large number of points and he always brought his adult 3 children and their families on the cruise, paying for all the cabins with his points. When I mentioned he could probably rent the points out and have extra spending money for all of them while cruising, he wouldn’t even consider it.

Sometimes it is just the easiest way to book using points. But then I wouldn’t do it that way as I still would want a DVC vacation too.

As to the original questions by bobbiwoz, negotiates the charter price and then determines the point chart from there. Plus I expect they do consider the value of the different points so they know they will regain the monies needed to pay DCL. Plus DVC probably adds on more points to the cost of booking with points for each cabin to be sure they get total monies they need to pay for the charter.

I think it is good PR by DVC to offer a chartered cruise as DCL cruises are popular with members and many members will think it is worth the points.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter