Megabus

teacherme

Mouseketeer
We are thinking about taking the Megabus from New Orleans to Orlando. Has anyone ever traveled on the Megabus? Also any insider tips? Thanks in advance.

We are thinking about taking the Megabus from New Orleans to Orlando. Has anyone ever traveled on the Megabus? Also any insider tips? Thanks in advance.

3 or 4 have crashed in Indiana over the last 6 months for various reasons.

I'd probably stay away from them if I had a choice.

We have used them many times. Not in that area though.

The drivers were always very professional and the buses always clean. I did take one through a bad storm with snow and ice. There were tractor trailers in many accidents but the bus driver we had was very professional and safe.

I've taken it several times. It's very cheap but also very over crowded. If you're taking children with you Id recommend taking other transportation. It's nearly impossible to get seats next to each other.

I have taken Megabus from Albany to NYC and have always had a good trip. I have never felt unsafe.
There are no seat reservations, so I always get to the stop very early to get in line and be one of the first on. At least here, people have always been nice enough to move when a family with children get on, so one child and one adult can sit together.(I am one who will move for a family). Most families like to sit on the upper level I noticed. Edited-I found out you can get reserved seats, at least on the Orlando-New Orleans trip! Certain seats only.
The earlier you book usually the cheaper the ticket. I have gone one way to or from NYC for $2, but usually I end up paying about $30r/t.
The only drawback I see is the 12 hour bus ride.....I would not do it with children, but for that price, ($25 one way 3/17) I'd do it myself!

I have taken Megabus from Boston to NYC and back before. They recently moved their stops in NYC to an area we prefer not to go to. We always try to get their early so we have no problem getting 4 seats together. My kids love sitting in front up top. The drivers are usually fine - basically they may say something at departure and arrival and that's about it. We were disappointed one time when we did not have a double decker bus. If you can pay extra for guaranteed seat locations I would. My kids do fine on a 4-5 hour bus ride but I don't know if any of us would want to do a 12 hour bus ride.

I've also taken bolt bus which is similar. With bolt bus you get a boarding letter depending on how you book. Basically a free account gets you an A boarding pass. After x rides you get a free ride. Since we have 4 people we get a free one way ride every 3 rides. We are taking this next trip to NYC since its a better location on arrival.

From Boston to NYC usually there are no stops. I think on a longer trip they might make an occasional rest area stop.

But I know a couple people who have done Omaha-Chicago and they have done it several times.

But honestly, it is only a 9 hour trip from New Orleans-Orlando--with gas prices as they are that is only $100 in fuel!! You would be hard pressed to get RT for your whole family even on Megabus for that price.

Do you know where the Megabus picks up in NO/drops off in Orlando? That is a consideration as well.

DS21 has friends who use them all the time and through many locations. He plans to use them in part for Spring Break. (Ohio to Tampa, FL = $10)

The one reason why we step away from the thought of them is the pick up/drop off locations nearest to us are in dark, not so great areas of town. Some states have better choices, but for us we are out of luck.

Unfortunately there are many wrecks on the highway. Road conditions change quite quickly out there. Buses are often on a schedule and their customers are not always so pleased when they stop for safety. In your own vehicle, you can choose to stop if the weather is unforgiving or you can choose to go on. No matter your travel choice, there is always a risk.

My boyfriend and I took a Megabus from Tampa to Miami and back for our Disney Wonder cruise last month. Service was reliable and the buses were clean. Neither bus ride was very crowded at all. However, the buses are FREEZING ICE COLD, and I don't even usually get cold.

I definitely DO NOT recommend taking a Megabus with children. There's no guarantee for reliability and they will more than likely be the only kids on the bus (there were no children on either of our Megabus rides). Getting more than 2 seats together is very very difficult. The bus bathrooms are not even usable (way too gross), so your kids will have to hold it for hours and hours. The wifi doesn't work. This is a transportation method definitely designed for those traveling without kids.

DS21 has friends who use them all the time and through many locations. He plans to use them in part for Spring Break. (Ohio to Tampa, FL = $10)

How is he getting from Ohio to Florida? Megabus doesn't go farther south than Atlanta from Ohio.

KC:confused3

I've ridden Megabus from Albany, NY to NYC. and back. One time we got a contract bus (a double decker)working for Megabus on the ride to Albany and it was not very nice. Totally gross rest room, the wifi did not work and the power plug in did not work. And then we had to give the driver directions.

Took Mega Bus from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. No issues what so ever. Really clean and comfortable buses and the clientele was no different than what you would encounter on an airplane.

Round trip for me was a whopping total of $2.50. AMAZING!!!

I've taken it a ton - never in that part of the country, but pretty much everywhere else (DC, New England, Toronto, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Chicago). The buses were always clean, the drivers safe, and the tickets well worth it. We've had a ton of issues with Greyhound but only one problem on Megabus in all the times we've taken it (and even then it was just a matter of delay on a day where delays were a problem. But again, one time we were even late out of at least I'd say 50 times we've ridden with them). If you're traveling with a bunch of people it can be hard to find seats, especially if you're not at the first stop, but they have wifi and outlets to help keep yourself entertained. I do recommend them for sure.

My daughters from age 17 to present of 24 have taken megabus in groups of friends. Cleveland to Chicago. With no issues, they sad it was better then driving or taking school bus lol .

I think it all depends on if your a travel snob. If 2 star motels don't scare you then do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter