Mediterranean Ports On Your Own?

Has anyone decided to skip the port adventures route (Disney or private) in the Mediterranean? Curious what experiences others have had that have done this and their thoughts.

I've been fairly disappointed by most port adventures my wife and I have taken thus far - whether it be a "tour of gifts shops" trap or just slower pace of sightseeing than I'd prefer. I've purchased a Rick Steves guidebook and feel that the public transit options are pleantiful and far less expensive then even the own your own adventures to justify the premium, but again just would like to see if anyone else has experiences they'd like to share.

Hello-
Wondering the same and we are the cruise right after you doing the reverse.
We are so lost at picking excursions.
My parents are paying and will only do disney excursions.
We have done Disney excursions before and have been disappointed.
Also disappointed two ports don’t have excursions out yet!
Anyone have reviews on Disney excursions for Naples, Cannes and Livorno

My parents are paying and will only do disney excursions.

You are the same poster from another thread, with 11 people, ages up to 75?

I'm strongly anti-DCL excursions, just based on cost and enjoyment (from prior experience.) We are a group of 8, ages 12-75, and I'm the main tour organizer for the family. There are cruisers that swear by DCL excursions. There is no "right" answer and just what works for your family.

Why do your parents insist on DCL excursions? Fear of missing the boat, fear of the unknown? With 11 people, or even 5-6, private tours become very affordable. There's a good chance you'd pay less or the same cost as DCL for a lot more excursion (more flexible, longer hours, more personalized.) Any reputable tour company has strong incentive to provide a good service and get you back to the ship in plenty of time. In the age of TripAdvisor "we missed our boat!" would be quite damning online.

Are you planning on going to Europe again? If not, are you willing to do whatever your parents want at the expense of feeling like you're missing out? Or are you happy to do anything, since it will be free to you?

I think you said in the other post that you are willing to split up. If so, then why can't you pay for what you want and let the parents go DCL?

And some BTDT thoughts - we're from Texas, and the summer time Med heat was brutal, even for us. Long days are hard in that heat. Also, many ports are 1+ hours away from the sights you are going to see, so be prepared for drive time.

It sounds like you need to decide who gets to decide - you or your parents, then move on from there and enjoy the cruise.

There have already been a lot of responses to this thread so you may not need one more. But I wanted to note that we went on a Mediterranean cruise a couple years ago with our three boys. As a family of 5, it was not cost effective to do the cruise line tours. We did 6 private tours for less than the cost of two cruise line tours and every one of them was amazing.

I spent many hours on TripAdvisor looking up tours and getting prices. The reviews are invaluable and provide a lot of great information. I find Europe overwhelming and there are so many places to see. I wish I had the time to plan every stop and figure out buses, taxis and trains but it's just too much for me. Since we don't plan to revisit most of the places we went on that itinerary, we wanted to make the most of our time which we were able to do.

Our tour guides were a WEALTH of information. To tell you that I felt uneducated is the understatement of the year. We learned so much about all of the places we visited and, while Turkey was on the bottom of our list of places to visit before the trip, that was two of our best tours. All of our tours were in comfortable cars/vans (with good A/C) and they were great about answering all of our questions. The guides let us spend as little or as much time as we wanted at each destination. (In Turkey, I was clear that I did not want to go to a leather store or a rug shop and they honored our request, which I appreciated.) In Rome, we only have 4 hours to visit and we saw a TON. We saw everything I wanted to see. My only two wishes were more time to do an actual tour of the Colosseum and the Vatican but that was just a result of lack of time. Fortunately, our guide was able to get us to the front of the line at the Colosseum so we at least had time to go in and we probably stayed for 30 minutes. Rome is probably the one place we will visit again when we go back to Europe.

To comment on your note about being disappointed about the DCL tours. On our last cruise, we took a DCL tour in Cozumel and it drove my husband nuts. Having to wait for everyone to stop at the bathroom. Having to wait for everyone to buy their gifts at the gift shops. It was very regimented and there was so much wasted time. It's a great option for people who like to be able to just plan everything through DCL for peace of mind. But if you have ever done a private tour, it really magnifies the flaws. If they could limit the size of the tours, it would be a much better.

If you are going to Naples, go to Pompeii and ABSOLUTELY get a private guide. They can be booked in advanced or there are plenty at the gate when you arrive. There is so much to see and you won't know what any of it is if you don't have someone to explain it to you. It's an amazing experience.

Oh, and totally agree on Rick Steve's book. I didn't finish reading the chapter about Turkey and this guy kept trying to sell me a rug. I kept saying "no thank you" and he must have followed me for a mile. Turns out, the books tells you that, it seems rude to ignore them, but if you don't, they will keep following you. Lesson learned!

Even if you have to do the DCL tours, I think you will still have a great time. but I hope your parents come around because I think the experience will be even better if you can do it on your own terms. Good luck!!!!

One other really important note. When we arrived in Athens, there were 7 cruise ships in port. And there were dozens of tour buses waiting in the parking lot to take people on tours. Since we had a private tour, our guide was there as soon as the ship docked and we were at the Acropolis long before the crowds. It takes a lot more time for the buses to get everyone organized and loaded up. I am sure they didn't leave for at least another hour. As we were leaving the Acropolis, there were buses full of people waiting to get in. We accomplished so much more and had less crowds to fight because we made it to all of our stops before the buses. That is definitely something to consider.

Jennifer

There have already been a lot of responses to this thread so you may not need one more. But I wanted to note that we went on a Mediterranean cruise a couple years ago with our three boys. As a family of 5, it was not cost effective to do the cruise line tours. We did 6 private tours for less than the cost of two cruise line tours and every one of them was amazing.

I spent many hours on TripAdvisor looking up tours and getting prices. The reviews are invaluable and provide a lot of great information. I find Europe overwhelming and there are so many places to see. I wish I had the time to plan every stop and figure out buses, taxis and trains but it's just too much for me. Since we don't plan to revisit most of the places we went on that itinerary, we wanted to make the most of our time which we were able to do.

Our tour guides were a WEALTH of information. To tell you that I felt uneducated is the understatement of the year. We learned so much about all of the places we visited and, while Turkey was on the bottom of our list of places to visit before the trip, that was two of our best tours. All of our tours were in comfortable cars/vans (with good A/C) and they were great about answering all of our questions. The guides let us spend as little or as much time as we wanted at each destination. (In Turkey, I was clear that I did not want to go to a leather store or a rug shop and they honored our request, which I appreciated.) In Rome, we only have 4 hours to visit and we saw a TON. We saw everything I wanted to see. My only two wishes were more time to do an actual tour of the Colosseum and the Vatican but that was just a result of lack of time. Fortunately, our guide was able to get us to the front of the line at the Colosseum so we at least had time to go in and we probably stayed for 30 minutes. Rome is probably the one place we will visit again when we go back to Europe.

To comment on your note about being disappointed about the DCL tours. On our last cruise, we took a DCL tour in Cozumel and it drove my husband nuts. Having to wait for everyone to stop at the bathroom. Having to wait for everyone to buy their gifts at the gift shops. It was very regimented and there was so much wasted time. It's a great option for people who like to be able to just plan everything through DCL for peace of mind. But if you have ever done a private tour, it really magnifies the flaws. If they could limit the size of the tours, it would be a much better.

If you are going to Naples, go to Pompeii and ABSOLUTELY get a private guide. They can be booked in advanced or there are plenty at the gate when you arrive. There is so much to see and you won't know what any of it is if you don't have someone to explain it to you. It's an amazing experience.

Oh, and totally agree on Rick Steve's book. I didn't finish reading the chapter about Turkey and this guy kept trying to sell me a rug. I kept saying "no thank you" and he must have followed me for a mile. Turns out, the books tells you that, it seems rude to ignore them, but if you don't, they will keep following you. Lesson learned!

Even if you have to do the DCL tours, I think you will still have a great time. but I hope your parents come around because I think the experience will be even better if you can do it on your own terms. Good luck!!!!

One other really important note. When we arrived in Athens, there were 7 cruise ships in port. And there were dozens of tour buses waiting in the parking lot to take people on tours. Since we had a private tour, our guide was there as soon as the ship docked and we were at the Acropolis long before the crowds. It takes a lot more time for the buses to get everyone organized and loaded up. I am sure they didn't leave for at least another hour. As we were leaving the Acropolis, there were buses full of people waiting to get in. We accomplished so much more and had less crowds to fight because we made it to all of our stops before the buses. That is definitely something to consider.

Jennifer

Hi - my daughter and I will be taking the Mediterranean cruise in May. would you please let me know which private tour companies you recommend for Naples/Pompeii, Rome and Florence? Thank you!

Thanks for all of the great information from everyone! I'm going on the Med cruise in June so this is super helpful.

Hi - my daughter and I will be taking the Mediterranean cruise in May. would you please let me know which private tour companies you recommend for Naples/Pompeii, Rome and Florence? Thank you!

We used Bob's Limos for our tour of Rome. We actually flew into Rome and scheduled a transfer from the airport to the port. Since we had 7 hours before we needed to be at the port, we booked a tour with the same company. Our driver met us at the airport, took us into the City for our tour and dropped us off at the cruise port afterwards. He was full of information and hit all of the highlights for such a short period of time. He even got us to the front of the line at the Colosseum (we already had booked our tickets online). The line was so long, we wouldn't have had time to go inside if we didn't already have our tickets. I highly recommend this company.

Pompeii was our only bust, as far as tours go. We elected to do the transfer from the ship to Pompeii because the price was fair and it was easy. We arranged for a tour guide to meet us there but he didn't end up showing. Not sure exactly what happened. But there are A LOT of tour guides at the entrance to Pompeii and I imagine most of them are very good. We were very happy with our guide. There is so much we would have missed if we had tried to do it on our own.

Okay, as promised here's my post trip write-up of what we did/what to do if you're wanting to follow a similar itinerary/tips/etc., just incase anyone might find this helpful for their planning in the future.

My family is looking into taking Disney's Mediterranean cruise in June. You're information helped a lot as to give me a sense of what you can do in a day, the distance from port, transportation options, and a place to start for my own research. Thanks!

We're considering the option of renting a car in Naples (to see both the city and Pompeii) and Livorno (to see both Florence and Pisa). We have experience driving in Amsterdam, Paris, and Madrid, so city traffic is not a concern. Has anyone done this before?

We haven't actually used them yet, but after a lot of time spent on TripAdvisor and browsing their particular websites, we've booked three full day tours with Leisure Italy for our stops in Rome, Florence, and Naples. I wanted to use the same company for all three tours in order to get a package deal and for simplicity.

If you're looking for walking tours and can to town on your own, we used Localers in Paris and they were amazing. They also operate in Rome. We would have used them but we have some folks in our group that have limited mobility and opted for driving tours.

Regarding Naples and Pompeii, the train may be easier. It stops directly in front of Pompeii. The CruiseCritic boards can give you detailed info on how to go about that exact route. Also ask there for specifics on Florence and Pisa. I have to say that Pisa and Lucca is a nice day, without going all the way to Florence, especially for kids. Lucca has a wonderful walled old city, where the very wide wall is now a park you can rent and ride bikes all the way around the top. You can stop at various gates to go down into the old, narrow streets to shop or eat. It's really delightful.

Thank you so much for your thoughts @aggiedog
We looked into Lucca and it sounds very interesting. Additionally, through CruiseCritic learned some more about transportation in Italy.

Thank you for all of the information in this thread! We're taking the Med cruise in June and I've been trying to figure out which way to go...DCL excursions or DIY. :-)

Has anyone decided to skip the port adventures route (Disney or private) in the Mediterranean? Curious what experiences others have had that have done this and their thoughts.
We often skip the ship's port adventures in various ports. We typically sail with friends and we (5 of us usually) like to just get off the ship and negotiate with a taxi van driver for a x-hour tour around the area. We've had great experiences with this and often see things that the big bus tours just can't do. We tell the driver that we are interested in seeing what they think is the best of their city and only specify that we need to be back by a certain time. Its worked out great for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter