Medical Care at Disney

scottb8888

DVC: SSR, HHI & BVI
My wife is curious if there is easy access to a pediatrician and a pharmacy while at Disney. We are staying at the Poly. We understand that there are first aid centers at each of the theme parks but are interested in a plan if we need more than that.

There is a clinic right by DD that is excellent!On our last trip our oldest DS got strep throat and we went to the clinic(Centra I believe is the name)and he was seen by a Dr.,diagnosed,given a prescription and we filled it at the pharmacy that is right at the clinic.

If you are staying on site and do not have a rental car(or even if you do)you will be given a free shuttle to the clinic and back,just call the front desk.

As pat fan said, the front desk at your resort will have information on clinics if you call them. Some people have used a doctor's service that makes house calls to the resorts. Our check in information had a newsletter about all the "happenings" and services at our resort that included information on the different health care options. We were at DVC resort, so I'm sure they will hand you a packet with this type of info, but the front desk can always help you out.
If you are in the parks and need medical care, the First Aid staff can do general first aid and also refer you to a doctor. The First Aid stations in each park are staffed by RNs.

If anyone knows of a 24 hr. pharmacy other than driving all the way to International Dr. from Disney, please let me know. My granddaughter developed an earache in the middle of the night and the front desk at CBR didn't have any information. I was so hoping with the 24 hr. Walmart, that there would be 1 pharmacy for emergencies past midnight somewhere close to Disney. Thank goodness we were able to clear it up with the drops for water in her ear and from Goodings, but I'd like to be more prepared the next time we go.

You might want to ask your pediatrician what he recomands you to do if you are away and you child gets sick. I asked ours on our first big trip when DS was less than 2years old. She told me to always call them first and often they can help you over the phone or by calling in a medication to a local chain pharmacy. She also said they would recomand where to take our son and contact that docator if need be. Never have needed it yet , but nice to know anyway.

jordan's mom

Originally posted by takara
If anyone knows of a 24 hr. pharmacy other than driving all the way to International Dr. from Disney, please let me know. My granddaughter developed an earache in the middle of the night and the front desk at CBR didn't have any information. I was so hoping with the 24 hr. Walmart, that there would be 1 pharmacy for emergencies past midnight somewhere close to Disney. Thank goodness we were able to clear it up with the drops for water in her ear and from Goodings, but I'd like to be more prepared the next time we go.

There are two 24 hour pharmacies on 192. Eckerds at Formosa Gardens which is only about two miles (max.) from Disney (west towards US 27) and a Walgreens which is about a mile and a half further west towards US 27. Both of these are on the left as you travel west.

have used Eckerds only once over the past five years or so.

During our trip in April DS (then 14 months) had a high fever for 2 days. We called Centra Care & were arranging for the shuttle to pick us up. The receptionist mentioned they send doctors out to the resorts (extra $30) and that's what we did. We called at 12:00 noon & had an appt for the dr to arrive at 3:30pm. She was nice & on-time - she was not a pediatrician though.

Through the conversation w/her we learned that she could not runs tests (ie - draw blood, strep culture), that if she thought we needed that we would have to go the clinic. We had to pay in full (total bill was $152) and then when we got home we submitted bill to our insurance company.

DS had an ear infection & she wrote us a script. We then called our ped to run this all by her (I had never heard of the antibiotic FL Dr prescribed). Once that was settled DH got a cab to pharmacy.

We did inform our ped of our plans before we went to WDW. This was probably not necessary, but as first time parents we wanted to cover all the bases. One tidbit of advise she did give us was prior to the flight down, if DS showed any signed of congestion (even a very slightly runny nose) to give him psuedephedrine (sp?) 1/2 before flight to dry him up. Then she told us to relax & enjoy ourselves!

On our second trip to disney my dd got a very high fever at Epcot 104 we took her to the first aid station and the looked at her and told us they would take us right to the medical clinic, she had a kidney infection which i knew with that high of fever and she had kidney reflux so they took care of her and prescribed antibotics and she was fine in 24 hrs, but the next i went i had the drs give me meds to take. But i always take tylenol and cough syrup with me just in case.
And i did use the walgreens across from the holiday Inn sunpree resort on 192. I think that's where it was, But it was acroos from that hotel
mrsmom

Well I am glad to know we are not the only ones whose child got really sick at disney!
Anyway, he had a really high fever that we could not get to go down. We went to that Centra clinic place and had an HORRIBLE expereince! Those guys had no clue what they were doing, and NO experience with kids! They told us they thought he had serious infection in his lungs, held him down for 3 different chest xrays, gave us some antibiotic, suggested we stay there for observation (we had been there 5 hours by now). We left anyway! The antibiotics did nothing. The rest of our trip was ruined. We went straight to his Dr. when we got off the plane at home. Our Dr. said there was absolutely nothing wrong with his lungs, they were not even congested, and both of his ears were TOTALLY infected. She gave us some antibiotics he was way better the next day. If they had caught that in Fl. and given him the right meds our trip could have been salvaged.
ANYWAY, sorry to vent. Just wanted to let you know, that we did have a bad expereince with those clinics!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter