MeanestMomEver Gets Meaner

What is the most essential gear for long treks across the dessert or the CSR?

• Raccoon Repellant

• Bug & Spider Spray

• A long stick for smacking alligators

• Your Magic Band

• CSR Bus route & schedule and map to bus stops

• Your Refillable Resort Mug

Results are only viewable after voting.
Within minutes of arriving at Epcot, my husband received an unexpected phone call from his brother and we sat on a bench near guest services for a good 20 minutes while they talked. And it was OK. Even taking a phone call on a shady bench with a cold bottle of water inside a Disney park is better than just about anything you can do outside a Disney park. Granted, there are a few exceptions. (Well, yeah, I was thinking THAT.) Hey, that might make a good thread on the general discussion board: What is more fun outside a Disney park than just sitting around, doing nothing in particular inside a Disney Park?

We made our way around, doing the usual things, Spaceship Earth, etc. Then we visited Club Cool which was on my bucket list of things I’d never done before for this trip. I’d never been inside or even noticed this place and I never would have if I had not read about it on the Dis. My husband was intrigued as I explained what it is. He’s a huge Coca-Cola addict and enthusiastically entered with me. It was bigger than I thought. I had pictured a kiosk type thing. I think its best described as a gift shop. Still, it was an interesting visit. We sampled a few of the beverages and fell in love with none of them. I was struck by how polite everyone was in taking turns at the drink station. It was also a refreshing dose of air conditioning. Check.

Tune in next time for an incredibly exciting journey into the fascinating world of pressed pennies.

Last edited:
LOL! As I said on your other thread, I love your reports. No pictures needed, you paint with words. Love it! And just as of last week, Floridian Gays can legally marry, FYI!

And now, before we continue, a quick flashback to our previous trip.
(Which you can read about here, if you want: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3238608 )

Right before our March visit to WDW, my husband reminded me that our youngest daughter, then 19, always loved to collect pressed pennies.

“What? She did not.”

As far as I know, she had exactly two of them. And she found them before this March, 2014 trip when she came across her old WDW belly bag from our 2003 trip. Inside the bag were the two pressed pennies that she did not miss for eleven years. I hardly call that a characteristic of someone who “always loved to collect pressed pennies.”

He insisted that she loved it. And, because, through the years, I eventually learned to pick my battles, I just agreed. And, while I was at it, I also agreed that it was a great idea for him to pick up a roll of pennies and a roll of quarters for the goodie bag we were planning for her arrival in the middle of that March trip. What did I care if his carry on was two rolls of change heavier, both ways?

Once again, the obvious went right over my head. HE wanted to press some pennies but, because he didn’t want to be busted doing something goofy at Disney World, he had to pretend he was doing it with and for his child. Never mind that his youngest “child” was a 6-foot tall college freshman. And she’s not even a geeky dude freshman, but a girl that has no interest in Dad things like Star Wars and Legos and pressed pennies.

In fact, the only reason she even noted the two long-lost pressed pennies was for humor and selfie-taking purposes. Evidently, everyone on Instagram would want to know that her belly bag from second grade still fit her little waist. Showing the pressed pennies in the selfie proved she was just funny and not bragging. Not everything goes over my head.

As I expected, she was underwhelmed when she found the rolls of change and hastily printed map of WDW pressed penny machines in her goodie bag. No one really paid much attention to the pressed penny concept. However, on a couple occasions, my husband pointed out a machine to her and asked if she brought her pennies.

“What pennies?”

“Never mind.”

If you have read my first trip report, you may remember that I reference a few days when SOME family members were not displaying their most princely and princess-like behavior. On one of those days, one of my wise daughters suggested to the youngest, “Maybe you could make a few pressed pennies with dad, you know, give him some attention.” They all nodded in agreement. Yes, a great idea and they all knew it would work. They are pretty sharp young ladies.

The next time we headed toward the monorail, my 19 year old daughter called, “Dad! Wait!” And she asked him if he wanted to make pressed pennies with her. He did. They discussed which designs to choose and took turns cranking them out and then compared their work. It gave them something to talk about and something to share. She didn’t especially care to own a penny imprinted with a Disney image. And he tended to take over the operation, always being the one to spot the machines first and hip checking her out of the way on more than one occasion. But she loved having that connection with him and he loved having that connection with her. But I’m not going to pretend that he didn’t love getting those pennies just as much and he enjoyed time with his daughter.

It must be a guy thing.

1. Put some coins in a machine.
2. Operate some giant gears.
3. Smash metal.
4. Deface government property.

What guy doesn’t love that?

So, when the June trip for two rolled around, I did a little research on the pressed penny machines and mentioned some machines that I thought my husband would find interesting. This included the machines in Epcot where one can collect pennies that represent each Epcot country. Sold! He was all over that idea.

After dinner on that first day of this trip, I suggested we stroll around World Showcase and visit the shops and I was on a mission to finally find the Kaki-Gori stand. My friend, Meg, had suggested I try one before each trip I’d taken since I’d known her but I never noticed it. This time I was determined.
However, when I said the words, “stroll around and visit the shops,” my husband heard, “race around and visit the shops to collect pressed pennies.”

At the first shop, he made a beeline to the machine and I tagged along. He asked my opinion on which design “we” should get. I suggested that since each machine probably had a Mickey with a country-specific design, that collecting a Mickey from each county might be fun.

“Great idea!”

And then he pressed one of each of the three designs in that machine. He deposited his new treasures in one pocket of his old-guy, cargo shorts and reached into a pocket on the opposite leg for another handful of virgin coins. It’s a good thing his pants are snug at the waist I thought, noting that he had no belt. Luckily, as one collects pressed pennies, the coinage load shrinks significantly.

“Where next?” he asked.

“Well, I wanted to look at those…”

“China?”

If you haven’t noticed before, take note that, in front of the pressed penny machines, you will frequently see children, especially little boys of about 3-7 years old, studying the machines. They are rather interesting to look at and just the right size for a 3-4 foot child to get a good look at the inside workings. It’s really cute how the little ones are so interested in the machines, even if they are not pressing a penny, they are still interested. My husband has no appreciation for this.

“Excuse me.” He’ll say. But I know he really means, “Beat it kid. Man on a mission!”

I gave up on strolling around leisurely and actually looking at stuff after a couple stops. Once again, I just went along with the pressed penny phenomenon. After all, he was usually pretty sweet about letting me do whatever I wanted and it was nice to see him interested in this. After all, he would be at the conference most week days and I could do whatever I wanted.

But I put my foot down on the Kaki-Gori. I decided I wasn’t leaving Epcot without checking this off the ol’ bucket list and luckily, by the time we worked our way over to that area, I’d be recovered from our German food stupor and ready for a refreshing dessert. When we made it to the Japan pavilion, we couldn’t find a thing that looked or sounded like Kaki-Gori. I asked several cast members. No one knew what I was talking about. I even looked it up on the map and showed my husband the photo of the stand that I had brought up on my phone. Between us, we have four college degrees and have been to Epcot at least 10 times. We’ve the read guide books, the boards and blogs. We can spot hidden Mickeys faster than you can say “Sleepy, Happy, Dopey, Grumpy, Sneezy, Bashful, Doc.” But we still, to this day, have never located the kaki-gori stand. It remains on my Disney bucket list.

We do, however, have an impressive collection of pressed pennies. In case you are wondering, none are imprinted with a Kaki-Gori.

When he finally ran out of coins, he wanted to leave the park and go to the Magic Kingdom. I was pretty tired at the point and no longer in the mood to shop. A nice, cool ride on the monorail sounded good to me. On the ride over, he showed me his coins. Yay.

As they say, even repeat trips contain new magic and new surprises. Day 1 of this trip was no exception. Even though I wanted to go back to the room or swim or anything else, Hubby wanted to park hop to Magic Kingdom. I don't really recall why but we ended up totally botching the transportation from Epcot to Magic Kingdom. Maybe the monorail from the Transportation center was down due to the threat of bad weather but somehow we ended up bouncing about from Monorail station to the wrong bus stop to the boat launch, only to learn that we missed the last boat until the storm of the day had passed. I don't recall it all but this transportation round-robin seemed to drag on for hours. Surprise!

Clueless again.

We finally made it to the MK and had a great time. Did all the usual stuff. Blah blah blah.

On day 2, we tried an new experience, rope drop at Hollywood Studios, where we stood with the crowd that would rush to Toy Story Midway Mania. We stood along with fun, talkative people including a group of 6 or 8 guys taking photos. I embarrassed my husband by photo bombing as many of their pictures as possible with fake surprise and angry faces. Hubby thought it was terribly rude. Of course, I thought it was hilarious and so did their group photographer who egged me on with smirks and winks. After 6 or 7 photos, I was found out and they were super friendly and nice and let me make up for it by taking pictures of their whole group. Then it was time for the daily TSMM stampede!

Man, oh man, I hate that pushy, shovey, try to out-maneuver the next guy mentality. And my husband is probably the worst offender there is. And I am not. So, he was annoyed... again because, thanks to me, we were not first in line. Eh. So what? Luckily, his favorite attraction perked him right up! We were able to ride fairly quickly and we also had a fast pass for mid-morning. So, we got to ride twice that morning, almost back to back! That attraction is just so much FUN!

Here's an insider tip that I never read here, but I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere. On TSMM, if you are a group of 3 or more, split up into groups of 2's (and 1, if needed) and you get to board a lot quicker! You'll be sent up the stairs in the right-hand line instead of the left and it has been my experience that this line a little bit shorter and it really doesn't matter if you ride in the same cart with your group, you can't see the people riding behind you anyway.

After that, it was my turn to choose and since our fast passes where for later, I drug my reluctant, foot-dragging, ham-fisted, "arts-and-crafts-are-for-girls" husband to the animation academy. There was pretty much no wait and we went right in! I was so excited. I'd only done this once before and, on that occasion, I was temporarily touring alone. The artist walked us through drawing the head of Mike with one Eye. I'd felt cheated that day, back in March, as we only drew two circles and an eyelid. I was and am still convinced the animator had to use the restroom or make a phone call and hurried us along. I was delighted to be back to try again. I hoped for a more complex drawing and a more in-depth demonstration! I wasn't disappointed.

If you read my first trip report, you may remember that I do pastel painting. I'm not saying that I am a great artist. Actually, I kind of cringe when someone refers to me as an "artist." I am a painter or a student of pastel painting or I enjoy pastel painting as a hobby. I feel far from being called an artist. But still, I expected to do a fair job of it and I was prepared to offer words of consolation and encouragement to my poor, sweet, un-artsy husband at the conclusion of the drawing session. "Oh, honey, your Flynn Ryder looks pretty good, for your first try!" I would offer as he would fold his charmingly awkward little drawing and grumble.

Such a good and patient wife, I am.

Because I was really into the drawing and enjoying it so much, I paid almost no attention to what Hubby was doing. I was aware that he was still there and had not tried to escape but that was it. I was totally wrapped up in my drawing. At the end of the class I looked over at his drawing. My pre-planned, insincere compliment ready to go.

WHAT THE...?

His drawing was WAY better than mine. How did THAT happen? Who did he think he was? I was jealous. I was embarrassed. Heck, I was SCHOOLED!

Furthermore, the pain in the neck enginerd in him even thought ahead and did his drawing slightly off center, so it could be easily trimmed without losing the Hollywood Studios logo and then archived into our Disney Trip scrapbook. What a little smarty.

Me, mumbling: "oh, honey...your drawing...really good...for...first try" (insert forced, half-smile here)

Happily, no, make that suspiciously, he agreed to check out the line with me and consider doing the class again.

We were able to walk right into the next session! I was out for revenge. This time we drew Rapunzel. Surely, he'd just had beginners luck. He wouldn't fare as well drawing a GIRL! Yeah. That was it! I was sure I would be redeemed. Making sure my drawing was slightly off-centered this time, I poured my heart into drawing the best Rapunzel ever!

As any artist or "artist" will tell you, the harder you try, the worse you do.

His drawing put me to shame again.

We went through again. Dopey. His was better

Olaf. His was better.

After each round of animation humiliation, we rolled our masterpieces up and stowed them safely in the paper towel tube that I'd brought, thanks to the tips on I found here, on the DIS boards! (Thanks!) Finally, he was ready for lunch and I was ready to give up.

I'm just going to call it like I see it. My husband is a pretty good artist!

In case you think I am exaggerating, let me assure you, that is not the case. Upon returning from this trip, my daughters were impressed, if not shocked, that I was able to get Dad to sit through the amimation academy not just once, but four times! When I told them how well he did, they were skeptical. To prove my point, I showed them the drawings, side by side, with the signatures hidden. With each set, they guessed, incorrectly, that the nice looking sketch was my work and that the other, while not completely horrible, they admitted, was surely their un-artsy father's work.

They guessed incorrectly each time!

Yes, they admitted, Dad is a pretty good artist.

As I typed this, I found my mind wandering. Why have I not put those drawings (or anything else) in the scrapbook yet? It's been 8 months. They are still laying in a shelf in my (not-art-studio) craft room.

Coming up next: I almost die.

Last edited:

I knew I would have lots of alone time on this trip, since my husband was here for meetings. That first Monday morning, he left the room early to head off property for the conference. I took my time getting ready, organizing the room, etc. Then, my plan was to walk to El Centro for lunch and to take some photos.

I had two photography goals for this trip, well, really three. I was going to watch the instructional DVD that came with the camera, but that will probably never happen, so, let's stick with two. I wanted to take photos, hoping to get some to use for inspiration/reference for my pastel painting and I wanted to take photographs of letters so that I could do some crafty projects. I wanted to spell out our last name, using photographs of letters from iconic Disney signs, locations and fonts. And, I figured, probably a couple other projects too. I'll try to show a photograph of this later.

I left Rancho building 7, heading for El Centro. Whew! It was hot. The heat index was 101 degrees at about 11 am. Of course it was! It's Florida in June! But I'm overweight, have asthma and I'm experiencing all the fun of of peri-menopause. But even if I wasn't, I detest hot, humid weather. If Disney ever builds a resort in North Dakota, I'll probably be an AP holder!

Anyway, I begin walking toward the center of the resort grounds. I'm not impressed by the landscaping, which, I note, features, rocks, stones, gravel and boulders. There are a few cacti and other drought-tolerant plants. I find myself wondering if they are real or made from molded concrete because it is HOT and I decide that am not sure any live plants could survive the barren and scorching conditions at CSR.

I quickly realize that I forgot my refillable mug. For those of you who chose "Refillable Mug" in my poll at the top of this report, you are correct. One must never, ever, EVER attempt to cross the desert...er...Coronado Springs Resort without taking a 3 day supply of water.

I've walked about 5 minutes and I am hot and sticky and really not feeling good at all. I try to distract myself by taking photos of the alleged flora. Of course, due to the sticky nature of the weather, my flip flops (ridiculous footwear for such a journey) and skort (it's not as hideous as it sounds, honest) are starting to cause issues. I'll leave it at that. My fellow fatties know what I'm talking about. Should I go back and get my mug? Nah. I'm probably almost to the feature pool area. I can grab a drink there! I keep trudging along and pass the Ranchos quiet pool. Wow. That looks refreshing. There are 3 people there and so I decide that must mean it's real and not a mirage. Although, why I drew that conclusion, I do not know. I continue and come across shrubs. With leaves! Things are looking up but then I recall reading a Dis Boards horror story about a little boy who reached into a landscaped area to retrieve a dropped toy and was bitten by a snake. It was poisonous and it was a very serious emergency situation if I recall correctly. I wisely steer clear of the landscaping and stick to the extra sunny center of the sidewalk.

I'm dripping hot. I haven't seen any signs of life for quite some time now. I take note of the large mammal skull decorations placed among the Rancho décor by the grounds keepers. Or were they? Maybe middle aged, mug-less mammals DIE out here, in this heat.

Oh, my flip flops are killing me. The scalding pavement is way too hot for bare feet. I press on.

Finally, signs of life! I hear happy, hydrated children and gurgling water. Glorious gurgling water! The feature pool! It must be just around this bend.

No. I keep walking. I still hear the shrieks of joy. I hear the water feature. If I can just make it...

At last! The beautiful feature pool. It really is beautiful. And, happily the snack bar is open! Wow, that's a long line. But I wait in it. And wait. And wait. I'm normally pretty patient but did NO one think about what they wanted to order while in the long line???

They all seem to get to the front and, when asked what they would like, they say, "ummmm..................Hmmmm. Let's see....Do you have any...soup?"

no.

"Dooooo you haaaave spaghetti?"

no.

"Meatballs?"

no

"Meatball sub?"

no

"Dole whip?"
(Ok, kid, now you are just being mean.)

to be continued

Last edited:
Your sense of humor is just like mine, I can not wait to read your last trip report! We stayed at CSR on one of our trips and I was less than impressed. It did seem les Disney like than others and I found the housekeeping to be horrendous! I am one of those who will only have the "mousekeepers" come in once or twice on a week long trip getting fresh towels as needed. When we first arrived at our room there was a bloody bandaid on our bathroom floor and later in the trip found a pair of dirty unmentionables under the ottoman in the room. They were very quick to take care of it but EWWW!!! I did enjoy the food choices at CSR more so than the other moderate resorts we stayed in.

Well, I might be exaggerating a little. It probably just seemed like it took forever at the snack bar because I was pretty hot and wheezy by the time I arrived. Because I meant to bring my mug and forgot it, the stubborn part of the meanest mom ever came shining through and decided not to purchase a drink, but to, instead, request the legendary "free ice water."

You would have thought I asked the cast member to "Fetch that thar ol' bucket from yonder and sashay down to the crick an' fill 'er up with some drinkin' water." because, aAlong with my 3 ounces of iceless water, I was served up a nasty glare.

I was then off, on the next leg of my journey, the long trek around the 783 acre, alligator infested lake. The iconic western movie tones that signaled danger no were no longer playing in my head. (Is that a flute that makes the warble-y tones in an old western movie during a tense scene...the "duh duh duh duh-duh.....wahhh wahhhh wahhhhhhhhh" often followed by the sound of a rattlesnake.) I was now in a more lush environment and things were looking up. El Centro was in sight. It wouldn't be long now. And I walked and walked and walked.

And walked.

It took me a good half hour to get to El Centro from our room, including the stop for the drink. By the time I got there, I was in full blown asthma attack mode. I'll spare you the details of the sweaty, coughy, dramatic looking asthma attack. It was not good.

From that point on, I didn't walk from our room to El Centro again. I took the bus from the front of the resort, around to the back bus stop which was the bus stop closest to our room. This method was consistently much quicker, including the wait for the bus. Lesson learned!

Because of the inconvenience of getting to the main building or pool, we didn't make good use of either. It just wasn't usually worth the time, even by bus.

This is my main problem with this resort. It's so spread out that it doesn't feel like you are staying at a resort with amenities. It just feels like an old, 1970's Holiday Inn. Maybe with a closer room, it would feel different.

I will find out in about two weeks. We have a quick visit planned (March 16-19) and because we decided to go at the last minute, there was very limited room availability in my price range. I was able to get a preferred room at CSR with a military discount ...which actually gives it an old Holiday Inn rate. Just kidding. But it is a great rate. However, I will NOT be walking around the lake.

On day four of this trip, as my husband an I headed toward the pool (which is wonderful) we came upon a raccoon the size of a smart car. He was not well, staggering and pausing and not really scared of big ol' humans at all. Rabies? We notified some grounds staff who showed absolutely no interest at all.

Me: "hey, there's a giant, staggering raccoon over there, scaring resort guests."

Cast member: Ok

Other trip highlights included:

1. this coaster-hater taking 2 spins on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. I am embarrassed to say that I was filled with dread during the hour or so before our fast pass. I really, really hate roller coasters. I hate that feeling of impending death. And I hate any sensation that feels like internal organs are being compromised in any way. But I decided to just force myself to do it. And it didn't bother me at all, except I did hurt my back. How you might ask? Instead of bracing myself against the back of the seat, I was just sitting there and just grasping the bar tightly, so I was moving around in car way too much. The second time we rode, my husband told me to push myself back in the seat instead and that made a huge difference. Who knew? I know, I know, you must be wondering how I function, with all the stuff that goes over my head.

2. Seeing the movie Maleficent at DTD.

3. Enjoying a fast pass lunch at BOG.

4. An Early morning CP breakfast that afforded us an early park admission, photo opportunities and our waitress (kate) remembered us from our March visit!

5. Making it a point to partake in all the old classic attractions and loving the nostalgia and corniness.

Lessons learned:
1. Don't wear white pants on POC.

2. Room service at CSR always arrives cold.

3. If you want grapefruit cake from Starring Rolls, you have to figure out which cast member is most likely to know what your are talking about and ask very, very nicely! Look for someone who looks like she/he had some seniority. Ask nicely.

4. My husband will pay any amount of money to eat and drink from containers shaped like star wars characters' heads.

5. Yes, it can be just as much fun when your kids grow up.

We truly had a wonderful time on our first trip 100 percent without the kids.

Last edited:
783 acres? I think you must have exaggerated. However, every other word you utter (I mean, write) I take as absolute truth! Love your writing style!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter