MeanestMomEver Gets Meaner

What is the most essential gear for long treks across the dessert or the CSR?

• Raccoon Repellant

• Bug & Spider Spray

• A long stick for smacking alligators

• Your Magic Band

• CSR Bus route & schedule and map to bus stops

• Your Refillable Resort Mug

Results are only viewable after voting.

MeanestMomEver

Oh Boy!
That's right folks. If you thought I was mean in my last TR, http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3238608, just wait til you see this one. I'm positively beastly.

It was trip number two for the year. This time my husband was a speaker at a conference in late June and now that I was a seasoned and fearless airline traveler, I eagerly and shamelessly signed on to accompany him, yet again, vowing to leave the "kids" behind this time. And so we did!

My nastiness started off during the planning stages. The conference was off property and it was suggested that we stay at THAT hotel. Being quite the yelper, I began to research that establishment.

"Shuttle transportation to attractions." Well, even I know that means a rusty, windowless, 12 passenger van parked behind the dumpsters which may or may not start every morning at 1:30 pm when it sets off to take guests to random points of interest, with the driver running only a few quick transactions, er, I mean errands along the way. And will they remember to come pick you up? Sorry, the guy with the jumper cables only works 9-5.

"Free Continental Breakfast" Notice they don't mention which continent breakfast will represent. Perhaps one morning you get some sardines and borshch. The next day might be a salute to fermented foods, featuring kimchi. You just never know. But I'm quite certain that this is NOT the off-property version of the World Showcase. And there is no counterpart to the DIS where one can leisurely review menus and photos. So, it's anything goes at this joint. And this is why I was forced to research with Yelp.

Still, I was being a good sport. At least I was until I started seeing the photos from the other Yelpers. Cockroaches. And not just the big honkin' palmetto bugs that wander in from the landscaping. These were the greasy little bad boys that run the place. And they were reported by lots and lots of guests over a long, long period. I'm out.

Immediately, I start whining to my husband. "Wah wha, yelp. wah wha roaches. Wah wah wah, borshch...."

"So book something on property."

"Wait. What? Really?"

"Yeah, what do we care? We'll have a rental car anyway. We'll just pay the price difference out of pocket."

I didn't hear the rest. I was already online, checking availability. To me, half the fun of a Disney trip is the resort. It's the continuity of the whole happiest place on Earth vibe. It's the little perks. It's the theming. It's just more fun!

We were only about 10 days out so late June availability was somewhat limited but there were rooms left at the Coronado Springs resort that were eligible for a military discount. (DH is a vet.) And with that discount applied, we would not have as much to pay out of pocket. Done! My excitement level was immediately amped up.

A little research on the DIS and I learned that this was a larger resort and one might be wise to request a building close to transportation. Eh. After our recent stay, hidden from view of the full price folk, in the very last room in the Garden Wing of the Contemporary, I wasn't worried. I survived multiple treks through that long (carpeted, newly remodeled, air-conditioned) corridor to the main building.

How bad could it be?

We stayed there and it was great. I would suggest requesting near transportation and the CSR. This will most likely put you at the stop that they pick up from first (I forget the number), meaning you will usually have an empty buss when heading into the parks. We actually had the room closest to this stop and it was wonderful, we were close enough that we could watch for the bus from our room and get out there before it left.

Awesome--new TR!! :)

We stayed at CSR end of Aug. Casitas 3, we liked it.

We DID see alligators in the lake! :scared: Hence my choice in your poll...

WOW, just found your new report just browsing around out of boredom. Totally thrilled about it!
But, I would suggest you post a link in your last report, that way your former readers can find you much easier. And also, it would be helpful to put last update date in the title (just a suggestion).

Anyway, very happy to have a new report from you!

Eric and I arrived mid-morning on Sunday, June 8, and chose a mid-life crisis themed rental car, a brand-spankin’ new, Dodge Challenger.

Our first mission was to storm Shades of Green. We double-timed it to the ticket office, presented our retiree ID cards and procured our Military Salute 4-day hoppers. Then, we quickly retreated back to the Challenger.

Having been away from military life since my husband retired in 2004, being in that atmosphere tugged at my heart in a way that surprised me. I really miss being part of the military community and I felt like an outsider but also like a veteran mil-spouse. Part of me wanted to linger among the good- looking, clean-cut military men and the…beautiful….well, the lovely….the kids who…Army Brats that….I missed the…. Nah. I guess I mostly liked seeing the toned, good looking men. Ok, not in a creepy old lady way…at least not that much. Seriously, it gives me a lump in my throat every time. I miss those days and I am just so very proud of the current generation of service members and YES, the military families too. I miss being a part of something special. And let me tell you, they are (mostly) very special and wonderful people. There is just a unique feeling when around a military installation. You just sense that you are among personable, brave, intelligent and dedicated Americans and they make me love my country even more! (Thanks to any military members and family members that are reading. You have my respect, gratitude and admiration.)

I got right to work, securing whatever fast passes I could score and I was able to get everything we wanted except the 7DMT. Secretly, I wasn’t too upset. Confession: I was a bit chicken to try it (motion sickness) and not being ABLE to get the fast pass allowed me to avoid facing that fact. Maybe I could weasel out of this without too much effort.

“Aw, bummer,” I lied, “No Mine Train.”

We arrived at the Coronado Springs Resort with high hopes. I was so, so happy to be able to make this trip work with a Disney resort. I just love being immersed in as much in-your-face Disney as possible. Having studied up on the CSR by reading the boards, I had decided to request a room in The Cabanas. As second choice, I would hope for Casitas. That, of course means we were given a room in the Ranchos. This was not just any Rancho. We got the back-forty Rancho. Once again, a cast member assured me that we would be enjoying ourselves in a nice “quiet” location. Much like when we were told we would love our California Grill table in a nice “quiet area” (aka “Was this a former coat check room?”) we quickly learned that “nice quiet location” is a euphemism for “least desirable, former storage room.”

On the way to the room, and thank goodness we had a car, I decided that any room ON property was, to me, better than most rooms OFF property. And, honestly, I still feel that way. But, at the time, I was working overtime to convince myself to like this resort. I was still half giddy from a lovely 10 day stay at the Contemporary just three months prior, where I had become quite spoiled and where a nice quiet, out of the way room, was actually lovely.

We located our Rancho and, honestly, we were underwhelmed with the grounds. I guess I am just not a fan of the desert, cactus and rocks look. If I have to suffer asthma and allergies and labor to breathe in the Florida humidity, I want to at least be able to enjoy beautiful, lush, tropical flora while I wheeze and cough. I began to feel felt parched, if not dehydrated and, in a show of Ranco-protest, I knowingly took an unproductive, noisy slurp on the straw protruding from my recently emptied, refillable resort mug. That drink was gone before we passed the Cabanas. Even the ice didn’t survive the trip to the Ranchos. I realized that when they told us we could take a bus from the Ranchos to El Centro (Lobby, food, shops) they were not joking. I instantly felt silly, recalling the long 4-5 minute walks from room to lobby during past trips. That was child’s play compared to what we would soon endure.

But for now, we were eagerly exploring our second floor room. We were both trying hard to love it.

“Aw! Look, a Mickey Shaped towel!

And.

And.

“Well, look, the same toiletries as the ones at the deluxe resorts! And…a TV,” I announced as I kicked some Cheerios further under the bed.

It simply did not seem like a Walt Disney World Resort room to us. I know lots of people love the resort but it’s just not my favorite. It’s ok. But I won’t stay there again. It was nice, but not fun. Not cute. Not magical. It was like an old Holiday Inn in Arizona, in my opinion. All that said, I’m glad we tried it. My Disney bucket list includes a wish to eventually try out every WDW hotel. But at that point in the trip, we were still trying hard to love it.

Once situated, we headed out toward Epcot.

Coming up: Why are so many people wearing rainbow Mickey Head pins and why is my husband smashing all our money?

Last edited:

A quick comparison between the room at the CR from our March trip and the one at the CSR in June. Not really so different in the photo. But very different feel. I think a huge part of it is the lighting, the view and the extra square footage.

So glad you posted a link from your last report :)
By the way, my son is a Captain in the Air Force, far away from Florida, so it warmed my heart to hear you speak so fondly of the military.

Too bad you did not enjoy Coronado. I hope you asked for a room change.
Anyway, looking forward to your report!

Thank you SO MUCH for your kind words about military members and their families!! I'm am Army Wife and have been for over 15 years. I am so grateful for the life that I've lived being married to my wonderful husband. Countless friends have been made across the world, we've lived in wonderful locations, I've grown up in ways that my civilian friends would never understand, etc. It's a fantastic life indeed!! OH, and I'm LOVING your trip reports!! You really engage me in your honest and humorous writing!!! Can't wait to read more as they come along!!!

BTW...we stayed at the Contemporary Resort in the tower with a theme park view room back in December. You MUST do this. Haven't experienced anything more magical to this date. Just perfect, I tell you!!! Contemporary is, hands down, our most favorite resort!!!!!!!! Happy weekend!! :cheer2:

I'm here! I loved your previous TR and I'm so excited for this one. I am a former Air Force Brat (father, uncle, cousin, and both grandfathers served in the Air Force) and I now work as a civilian for the Air Force...I get that same swelling of pride and lump in my throat! :-)

We stayed at CSR in September and it wasn't too bad, but we were in the Casitas and were closer to CSR. I didn't like the look of the landscaping at the Ranchos section and I was very happy we weren't in that section...but then again, it's all Disney and so it's all good. :-)

Well, when you put the two pictures together like that…of course the Contemporary room is lovely! What with that relaxing view, patio and extra square footage…there is no comparison to the room at CSR! At the end of August we were able to get a room in the Casitas section for $165.00/night with the Fall discount (last min). We were only there for 4 nights and not in the room much except for sleep. So it worked for us. Overall I was happy with the resort. That being said I don't need to rush back there next time we stay on property, unless the price was right, then I would in a pinch!!;)

Yes! Here I am. And thank you for missing me.

I am sorry and I am angry with myself for not finishing this report. I feel very fortunate for all of you who took time out to read it and shame on me for blowing it off for so long.

I'm also annoyed with myself because I wish I would have written the rest before I forgot details. I'm going to try to finish up in the next couple days.

My excuse...well, I'm lazy. That's pretty much it. I also kind of need to have a Disney trip in the queue to hold my interest in trip reports, even my own! Fickle? You bet.

What have I been doing? I started a new, part-time job and I've been working more on my paintings and some low-key, local marketing of them.
I also joined a writers' group.

I decided to write about my September, 2014 Disney Trip (the one that follows the one I abandoned in this thread) for my new writer's group and I thought it could also double as a trip report. I think it works with a little introduction as to why it doesn't read like a trip report that was written with the Disney experts, such as you all, in mind.

So...I'll post that little essay an call it a trip report. All feedback welcome. My group doesn't meet again until February so I may or may not do some revisions and/or corrections. Feel free to let me have it!

I can never think of catchy titles for my reports. How DO you all do it? Is there some Trip Report Title Generator that I don't know about?

I guess if I pasted this essay into such a generator I might get titles such as:

A message from Mr. Walt Disney
Birds of a feather Flock to Disney
What am I celebrating?
Disney Marketing: Genius or Creepy?

I will post a link to that trip report in this thread as soon as I remember how.
See what happens if you are away from the Dis too long? Let that be a lesson to you all.

xo
Missed you, Dis people!

Happy you are back. I'm looking forward to reading anything you write and am sure you are the most gifted writer in your new group.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3369580

I hope to go back to that thread and add a few stories but first, I plan to add a few more entries here.

Thanks again to everyone that offered a kind word or two. More and more, I am learning that the simplest words of encouragement we offer can sometimes have a great impact beyond what we could ever imagine. More than once, I have been uplifted here, by this great group. xo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter