• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ME luggage delivery, not happy

We landed at 835pm last night and I am still waiting. We called at 3am they said they were bringing it right over. After 40 mins I called back again and they said due to the lightning they wouldn't bring it. A little before 6am they said they would deliver some time this morning.

It also took us a much longer to get a bus to get here. I really wish I had picked it up in baggage claim.

When your plane lands matters not at all! The 3-4 hour delivery window starts when you check in at the resort.

The value resorts are very slow to deliver bags after Midnight. In fact, at least a while back, they stopped delivering at all once it was past Midnight, so I guess at least now they are trying to get bags to people that late.

We landed at 835pm last night and I am still waiting. We called at 3am they said they were bringing it right over. After 40 mins I called back again and they said due to the lightning they wouldn't bring it. A little before 6am they said they would deliver some time this morning.

It also took us a much longer to get a bus to get here. I really wish I had picked it up in baggage claim.

Maybe you haven't had the weather on, but Florida is a bit of a mess, and has been for over 5 hours now. Tornadoes, lightning, and wind guests over 80 mph. I think you will need to be patient. Hopefully you packed for the first 24 hours in your carry-on, which is a great tip I got here on the Dis.

Last edited:
I did check the weather before we left and figured evem with the time to get to the hotel that we would get our bags before it started raining. What annoyed me though was that when I woke up and realized our bags werent there and called they said they were delivering right then so I stayed up to wait for them. If they had told me then that they were holding, I would have just gone back to bed and waited until this morning.

Maybe you haven't had the weather on, but Florida is a bit of a mess, and has been for over 5 hours now. Tornadoes, lightning, and wind guests over 80 mph. I think you will need to be patient. Hopefully you packed for the first 24 hours in your carry-on, which is a great tip I got here on the Dis.

I did check the weather before we left and figured evem with the time to get to the hotel that we would get our bags before it started raining. What annoyed me though was that when I woke up and realized our bags werent there and called they said they were delivering right then so I stayed up to wait for them. If they had told me then that they were holding, I would have just gone back to bed and waited until this morning.

If you fly in late again, just tell the front desk to hold your bags until you call for them. That way you can go to sleep and not worry about being woken up.

That's interesting, that the wait time doesn't start until you check into your room. How does that work with online check in? Does the clock start when Disney texts you that your room is ready, or do they wait until they KNOW you have entered your room (which your magic band would tell them, once you use it to access the room)? Do they care, either way?

We waited forever at BWV in Oct. 2014. Our flight arrived at noon, and we were checked into BWV by 2pm, although our room wasn't ready- but we got the text saying it was ready around 3pm. We didn't get our bags until just after 1AM. Given that the "ease" of using DME is one of the very few benefits I see for staying on-site, I wasn't happy with Disney.

That's interesting, that the wait time doesn't start until you check into your room. How does that work with online check in? Does the clock start when Disney texts you that your room is ready, or do they wait until they KNOW you have entered your room (which your magic band would tell them, once you use it to access the room)? Do they care, either way?

We waited forever at BWV in Oct. 2014. Our flight arrived at noon, and we were checked into BWV by 2pm, although our room wasn't ready- but we got the text saying it was ready around 3pm. We didn't get our bags until just after 1AM. Given that the "ease" of using DME is one of the very few benefits I see for staying on-site, I wasn't happy with Disney.

The thing is, you have no way of knowing why your bags were delayed. Was it DME or did the airline misplace them for a while?

The delivery window has always started ticking after you checked in at the resort. Now, it is a bit of a mystery on when exactly that is, with room ready and all of that.

The thing is, you have no way of knowing why your bags were delayed. Was it DME or did the airline misplace them for a while?

There's no way of knowing, but I'm not sure how they could misplace all 4 suitcases. What are the odds of our entire luggage group being misplaced? I realize it could happen in certain circumstances (delays due to bad weather, or if we'd chosen to take a bump and flew differently from the original schedule, or a loading area screw-up at the departing airport, for example), but I think it's unlikely that all 4 were misdirected/misplaced. Fortunately we had all the stuff we needed for that trip in our carry-ons, and we were still up when bell services delivered our suitcases, but it was annoying to not be unpacked and sound asleep at 1am on our travel day!

ANYHOW... it's interesting. On our most recent trip (Nov. 2015), we waited at MCO for a DME bus for over an hour. By the time we got to ASMu, our bags were already in our room!

I'll have to remember this about Magical Express. I usually try to get there as early as possible on the day so I have an extra day in the parks. This last trip though I got to Orlando at 4:50p and got to my hotel by 6p and the luggage showed up by 6:30p--phewwww! I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad experience. If I ever fly that late in the future, I'll try and arrange to take my bags onto the bus myself. I really hope you do have a great trip otherwise!

We had an unintentional experiment on our trip last month. We landed about 7:00 pm
We didn't get enough yellow tags
We put on the ones we had and turned in claim checks for the bags without when we got to the ME counter
We had a bit of a delay in getting to the resort. We were at BWV and the road was blocked getting to the resort. The driver actuality went through the cones to get to the resort and the police pulled him over at the Boardwalk entrance
We'd gotten or room ready text just as we left ATL, about 5:00. We went to drop off the carry on bags and went to ESPN to eat. The bags without the yellow tags shows up quick. They were in our room when we came back from dinner.
The other bags got there about an hour later

I'm not sure if it's normal for the bags you turn in claim checks for to get there first of what. It's the first time we tried that

Opposite of AngiTN's experience without tags. The one with the tag was in the room on time, the untagged bag took about 90 min later (and I had to call for it-- forget which resort-- a value)

Whenever I fly anywhere I always pack a carry on with what I'll need for that day/night. Mostly because you never know if your luggage will get on your flight, or your connection.

One time I was sitting at the gate in Houston waiting to board my connection and watched the luggage truck drive to the plane in the pouring rain, canvas sides were up instead of being rolled down and secured, and luggage wasn't tied down either. I watched the trail of luggage falling off the truck just lying on the Tarmac in the pouring rain :sad2:. No wonder luggage gets lost and delayed.

Same with DME. If luggage takes a long time to arrive, it doesn't matter, I have what I need in my carry on. It doesn't excuse the DME delay, but it helps to be pro active, as I see you are too!

If I'm doing a split stay at Wdw I take a cab with my luggage to next resort, so I know my luggage will be there when I need it.

We arrive at a similar time of the night here in a few weeks. I think we're just going to go get our bags from the carousel to avoid something like this.
Our luggage took forever the first year we did ME. We got our luggage ourself after that, and never tried again. My parents used it in November and waited 5 hours. We have drive our last 6 trips now, so don't worry about it. But my DD and her BF flew this past year and met us, and we took their luggage with us to avoid this. I'd say if you are flying later, it's a good idea to get them yourself.

I have to ask: What difference does it make if it takes 3 hours or 6 to get your luggage? Do people not really pack what they absolutely need in their carry-on bags? IF you don't want to be disturbed late at night by your luggage being delivered, just have the desk hold it. Easy. No way would I sit at the resort waiting for my bags at any rate.

I have to ask: What difference does it make if it takes 3 hours or 6 to get your luggage? Do people not really pack what they absolutely need in their carry-on bags? IF you don't want to be disturbed late at night by your luggage being delivered, just have the desk hold it. Easy. No way would I sit at the resort waiting for my bags at any rate.

No, they don't. I can't tell you how many friends I have given this piece of advice to and they said "great idea, I never thought of that". And I have heard back from just about every one of them that doing this saved the first day or 2 of their vacation.

Last edited:

People really do not pack for the first 24-36 hours in their carryons.

I've got to say, I've never really had bad experiences with DME (knock on wood). The times we have taken the 6am flight to MCO, our luggage is usually in our room waiting once we get the text saying the room is ready. I know we usually pack/dress like we are going to the park, on days we fly in the am, so as soon as we touch down we can head straight to the park and everything has always been waiting for us when we got home that night. I think only once did we have 1 bag that was missing and it showed up around 11pm. I can't remember whether it was DME or the airline that misplaced it... This time we are flying on a late flight and touching down at 11:30pm so we will be grabbing our own bags.

I'm glad to hear the OP finally got their bags back. Enjoy your trip!

Just curious if you flew Southwest? I have been hearing that many people using southwest can take up to 6 hours to get their bags. It's something to do with SW not pulling the bags properly or storing them somewhere first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter