MCO security question

jaybee1026

Mouseketeer
Can anyone confirm if we have to take our kids’ iPad minis out of their Otterboxes when going through security at MCO? I asked a few friends who travel frequently and they said we wouldn’t have to but our airline sent an e-mail stating anything larger than a smart phone would have to be removed from it’s case. Which is it?

No, you won’t have to take anything out of an otter box. That’s not what they mean by take it out if it’s case. Brute talking about taking a laptop out of a briefcase.

If you mean taking it directly out of the otter box, no. But it will need to be out of a bag and visible.

our airline sent an e-mail stating anything larger than a smart phone would have to be removed from it’s case.
Which airline are you flying and what airport? The airline doesn't run security, TSA (in the US) does and they set the rules.

Which airline are you flying and what airport? The airline doesn't run security, TSA (in the US) does and they set the rules.

WestJet with flights initiating from Edmonton, Alberta then Toronto to MCO. It was a reminder as we’re 72hrs from departure, reminding us to allow sufficient time for increased security and also mentioned the part about electronics and carrying cases with a link to CATSA/TSA. I misinterpreted the meaning of carrying case.

TSA at MCO was requiring travelers to take all packaged foods out of carry-on bags earlier this month too. I've been aware of the all electronics larger than a cell phone (and now at some airports apparently all electronics period) thing but the packaged food was a new one; and extraordinarily stupid because they were pulling it all aside for extra screening but had only one person doing the screening so we sat and watched our snacks sit in a bin for 15 minutes before they got around to doing anything (i.e. really nothing) with it.

Hi, we did fly out of Edmonton as well last year. I was asked to remove my iPad from my case. Mind you, it was only me and not the rest of my family. They said "it's random " to have a whole case removed.

Hi, we did fly out of Edmonton as well last year. I was asked to remove my iPad from my case. Mind you, it was only me and not the rest of my family. They said "it's random " to have a whole case removed.

Because it is Canadian, Edmonton doesn't have TSA...their standards may be different from the states.

Regardless of the experience of anyone else, it is always possible that TSA may require you to do something they don't ask of others. It's part of that whole 'random' security process. I hope you have an uneventful trip, but if TSA asks you to do something, definitely do whatever it is that they ask you to do.

TSA at MCO was requiring travelers to take all packaged foods out of carry-on bags earlier this month too. I've been aware of the all electronics larger than a cell phone (and now at some airports apparently all electronics period) thing but the packaged food was a new one; and extraordinarily stupid because they were pulling it all aside for extra screening but had only one person doing the screening so we sat and watched our snacks sit in a bin for 15 minutes before they got around to doing anything (i.e. really nothing) with it.

We had to do this in October but not in November at MCO. When we asked in November if we needed to take them out they looked at us like we were crazy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter