MCO Offsite Discounted Rental Cars

hayesdvc

DIS Veteran
I normally rent from National which is very convenient at MCO. Our next trip will be longer than normal and searching to possibly find a company offsite to reduce the cost.

Looking for suggestions on rental businesses you have rented from offsite that you would recommend.

TIA

Do you mean away from MCO airport & in the greater Orlando area ?

OR due you mean a short bus drive ( 5 to 10 min ) away Within the Airport area ?

How many in your party ? If you rent Off Site How are you going to get to this Off Site Depot ?

Then on Return ..... Will you be driven Back to MCO With enough time for Check in ?

Is the Hassel of Off Site worth the savings.

I will be renting a car. I was looking for offsite rental companies because they would be cheaper than onsite rental companies.

thanks

Is the Hassel of Off Site worth the savings.

This is the main point. Based on stories I've heard and experiences I've witnessed, I would say the hassle is NOT worth saving a few bucks.

I will be renting a car. I was looking for offsite rental companies because they would be cheaper than onsite rental companies.
thanks
Define "CHEAPER". What does cheaper mean to you? Because less is NOT always better. Especially if you run into an "issue". I would stick with the name brand rental car companies. I would avoid any place like Payless, Advantage, etc. If you always rent with National, then keep an eye on Alamo and Enterprise rates. They are all under the same corporate umbrella. Alamo seems to have the best rates the closer you get. I am not a fan of Budget, Avis and Hertz but will use them over any of the off-site and/or off-brand names. I wouldn't drive a car from Payless rentals even if they paid me. Also check with your credit card company. Some of the rental benefits do not apply to those off name companies. Especially the insurance waivers. The language in the rental car agreement can make you "fully responsible" for any damage inflicted even if no fault of your own. You will be at the mercy of the rental company value assessment. Sometimes cheaper is not better. You may not find out until something like an accident or mechanical breakdown happens before you realize the "TRUE" value of spending a few bucks more on a well known brand name. Make sure you read and understand the rental agreement and coverages of those "off-brand" names. You may save a few bucks if all goes well. But if it doesn't, that little $200 savings may end up costing you $700-$1000.

thanks
I recently read a post about someone getting royally *****ed by one of those discount MCO companies. If you choose to go that route, read all of the fine print very carefully during check-in to make sure that no extra fees or costs can be added on in any way. Don't leave any spaces blank, or things could potentially be added in after you've signed, and then you'd have no recourse because it's a contract with your name signed at the bottom.

And yes, as a PP mentioned, if anything goes wrong with the car, the budget dealerships are reputed to be more difficult to deal with than the mainstream dealerships. Personally, I just wouldn't risk it.

I don't think it's worth it. I remember the first time we rented a car in Orlando, it was an off site place (sorry, don't remember which one). Because hey, we could save a few bucks, right? When we picked up the car, it didn't have air conditioning. Not that it didn't work, the car did not have AC. In Florida, in the summer. There's just something about just walking to the garage and getting your car and heading out.

I tried the off site cheaper car rental thing once...out of the 5 times we tried, 3 of the cars we rented from different companies had outstanding sun pass fees on them, and when I was driving from Melbourne to Disney, I wasn’t willing to pay those unpaid tolls on my sun pass account. These places never had the “correct car”, so it was either take the lower class, or pay to upgrade. It was worth more to join Hertz’s free club, and get to pick your car as a member at MCO. I have received some great cars, like one trip my wife let me rent a Challenger R/T....burned a lot of gas that trip! Sometimes on site is just easier...

join Hertz’s free club, and get to pick your car as a member at MCO.
Wait......Hertz lets you pick the car?? I thought Hertz, Budget and Avis assigned a car to you. See....I am learning new things everyday!!! I didn't know Hertz lets you choose. I prefer to choose for myself so I always went with Alamo that lets me choose.

Wait......Hertz lets you pick the car?? I thought Hertz, Budget and Avis assigned a car to you. See....I am learning new things everyday!!! I didn't know Hertz lets you choose. I prefer to choose for myself so I always went with Alamo that lets me choose.
If you sign up for their Gold Plus Reward hertz program, some airports (MCO being one) has an aisle for specific membership programs. Some days the selection is great, some not so much. One MUST book at least a mid grade vehicle to be eligible to pick your own vehicle.

From all of the negative reviews I have read, I would never book one of those off-site budget car rental places. Too much hassle and then they want to haggle with you to pay for needless upcharges.......or since you didn't bring a copy of your car insurance agreement (who EVER carries that???) they want to charge you something else. They may also not be a 24 hr location and you need to make sure they are open at the times you plan to pickup and return the vehicle.

At other Avis locations I have used recently (not Orlando), they pre-assign you a vehicle so you never have to go to the counter. I don't know how it might work if you want to change vehicles.

I have gotten some good rates at the sites that are by AKL (both Avis and Hertz) If memory serves me it was at least $100/wk less than MCO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter