McDonald's is phasing out self service drinks...by 2032.

The McDonald's closest to us we actually hadn't gone inside in a long time as we just do mobile ordering but last month we did go in. They had the kiosks inside to order from but then no number plaques to enter into the kiosk when you were paying so we had to flag someone down at the counter anyhow. I'm guessing they have more people ordering at the counter than the kiosks to not keep the kiosks stocked with numbers to in put. You couldn't go beyond the screen on the kiosk to pay by it without having the number.

But they did have self-service machines for a drink and they gave you the cup at the counter.

Seems like each location can do things differently but all seem to be moving away from people doing everything so it's interesting the decision to now have to man a drink dispenser since they've gotten away from that especially with the pandemic allowing people to do more the work.

Not sure how true stories I have heard are but I have heard that often times the soda company will throw in cups, lids, and straws to entice a new customer or a customer to switch.

I have heard it primarily when talking about when large movie theater chains or fast food chains would make the switch from Coke to Pepsi or Pepsi to Coke. While the syrup might not be priced very different from their current company, their per drink costs are cut in half because the new company will pay for the cups for a year or more as part of the new deal.

And you know they've got a sweetheard deal with Disney to be the exclusive soda on the premesis. Disneyland actually used to have both Coke and Pepsi depending on the location!

Sorry, I disagree. I don't think you increase labor costs. There's still people to hand you the cup, it's just now they'll fill the cup (like they do for drive through).

They MIGHT have decreasing customer satisfaction, but how many people are eating IN McD's vs food delivery/drive through?
For refills there has to be an increase in labor costs as refills are currently 100% done by the customer.

You might be onto the lack of people eating IN the store as the driving force.

I despise togo/delivery/drive though so I never really think about it from that perspective.

If no one or hardly no one is coming into the store they really aren't disturbing anyone and reducing capital costs because they don't need that additional customer facing drink machine or to pay anyone to keep the area clean if it does not exist.

Last edited:
DH was at a new McD's a few weeks ago - no self serve drinks. There *were* staff there to refill his drink, but they insisted on a new cup when he got the refill. No bueno in my book.

The McDonald's closest to us we actually hadn't gone inside in a long time as we just do mobile ordering but last month we did go in. They had the kiosks inside to order from but then no number plaques to enter into the kiosk when you were paying so we had to flag someone down at the counter anyhow. I'm guessing they have more people ordering at the counter than the kiosks to not keep the kiosks stocked with numbers to in put. You couldn't go beyond the screen on the kiosk to pay by it without having the number.
If having a tray isn't important, just put it in as a to go order. No number needed for that, just wait for your bag of food and then sit down.

I usually order on the app and pick up inside, but had to order at a kiosk yesterday because the app thought my location was closed. It was not.

And you know they've got a sweetheard deal with Disney to be the exclusive soda on the premesis. Disneyland actually used to have both Coke and Pepsi depending on the location!
I don't know if it's apocryphal (probably), but for years there has been a story going around that under the terms of the sponsorship, WDW does not pay for the Coke syrup, only for the branded cups.

FWIW, according to the WSJ story I read this morning about the McD's decision, apparently the full plan is for McD's to almost entirely eliminate dining rooms, going take-out only at most locations, thus, no customers inside the building to use the self-serve machines.

Right.

And it seems that by taking away self service they will actually be either
1. Increasing labor costs
2. Decreasing customer satisfaction which could have the effect of fewer customers

As others have mentioned, McDonald's locations are rarely staffed well.

If they were not staffed well enough to keep the self service station clean, how will they be staffed well enough for refills?

Articles have mentioned automation. That McDonald's will go heavy on the automated fill drink machines installed at some locations already. But there still has to be a person to initiate the refill and hand it to the customer.

I guess they could handle that with the kiosks and just produce a new drink each time using the robot which increases their cup costs.
My guess is that the long range plan for this is that their robotic drink filling system will be advanced enough by them they can do this while not needing to increase staffing.

Sorry, I disagree. I don't think you increase labor costs. There's still people to hand you the cup, it's just now they'll fill the cup (like they do for drive through).

They MIGHT have decreasing customer satisfaction, but how many people are eating IN McD's vs food delivery/drive through?
My daughter worked at McDonalds (just left due to starting university in another city) and her McDs will be phasing out the self serve drinks. They plan to have someone on "drinks" for every shift which is a new role that doesn't exist today. If they don't do that, the person filling or running the orders has to and it slows down service. It probably varies by restaurant (and country - I'm in Canada), but for some, there will be a labour cost increase.

I heard that all fast food places want to become 90 percent robotic by 2040. I guess the food will be made robotically too then? I'm glad I gave up fast food (well except for pizza and Chinese food) and switched to the Mediterranean diet, years ago.

If having a tray isn't important, just put it in as a to go order. No number needed for that, just wait for your bag of food and then sit down.

I usually order on the app and pick up inside, but had to order at a kiosk yesterday because the app thought my location was closed. It was not.
Yeah we tried that too, the only options you had once you started using the kiosk was to pay through there or the counter but you needed to input the number to pay with the kiosk so it wasn't as easy as switching it to a to go order. We hadn't had issues before on the kiosk when they didn't require the number to be input, I don't think that location was even using them that much so maybe there is a way to turn off that functionality or you may find more customers just ordering at the counter to avoid kiosk issues ironically.

I sucked it up when McDonald's dropped their $1.00 price for all size drinks. But doing away with the drink machines is the final reason I need to not patronize them any longer.

It's $1.29 at most locations in the San Francisco Bay Area. Same for any size hot coffee. But I've noticed it's regional. And there are few deal offers locally in the McDonald's app, but when I've been on the road I would see a lot more deals where the app looks at where I am to provide local deals.

As far as machines go, I haven't seen a single Coke Freestyle at any of my local McDonald's since COVID brought them away. But I remember starting a topic on how one local machine was checking for an RFID tag on the bottom of the cup and might require 10 minutes between refills and a max of one hour. I know of one McDonald's that has a more traditional fountain setup.

A lot of the McDonald's around where I live are homeless hangouts where I've seen various stuff going on. Water cups used for soft drinks and some old cups being brought in. I remember one manager confronting someone attempting to refill a cup and saying that she knew he brought it in.

Rarely go inside a McDonald's, but unless you are eating inside and plan multiple refills, not sure this will matter to most people. If you use the drive-thru they currently hand you your beverage. I also think it would be more sanitary having employees behind the counter prepare the beverages.

One of the McDonald's in my neighborhood has already done this. It is definitely because of people abusing it. I have seen people go in with a big thermos and fill it with soda and leave.

Yeah we tried that too, the only options you had once you started using the kiosk was to pay through there or the counter but you needed to input the number to pay with the kiosk so it wasn't as easy as switching it to a to go order. We hadn't had issues before on the kiosk when they didn't require the number to be input, I don't think that location was even using them that much so maybe there is a way to turn off that functionality or you may find more customers just ordering at the counter to avoid kiosk issues ironically.
McDonald's tech might be as bad as Disney's.

How did we get to the point where we need soft drinks by the quart, in 87 different flavors? When I was a kid, a large drink was (I think) 16oz, and it seemed HUGE.

How did we get to the point where we need soft drinks by the quart, in 87 different flavors? When I was a kid, a large drink was (I think) 16oz, and it seemed HUGE.
National obesity rate of 40%? I'm surprised fast food isn't illegal yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter