• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Maynard is retiring

I've always enjoyed Maynard except for the last time I saw him, which was about 3 years ago outside the Tiki Room area. A couple of friends and I went to say hi and he started off with his hilarious banter, but it got progressively weirder and more frenzied until we were all just trying to figure out how to get away. He seemed intent on keeping us there as things spun off into very, very weird directions and we finally just said goodbye and hurried away. It was so odd.

I'll miss seeing his Tiki Spiel and his wild and happy "Helllloooo" when we've spotted him out and about in DL.

But retirement is truly wonderful (I worked all my life for it!) and I wish him great and new adventures.

....it got progressively weirder and more frenzied until we were all just trying to figure out how to get away. He seemed intent on keeping us there as things spun off into very, very weird directions and we finally just said goodbye and hurried away. It was so odd.
As a former attractions CM I have to agree with above. I know his interactions can be cute however I never (personally) understood the appeal. Many times I saw guests looking around a bit confused or just slightly holding their children a little tighter/away form him. There's also safety aspect when it comes to major attractions with moving parts. For example- CM's have literally a split second to hit station stop or e-stop. If he's too busy putting on a 'show' he might not see another CM signaling for help.

To each his own, but I'm not a big fan. I do wish him the best in retirement though.

Last edited:
We had a lengthy and hilarious interaction with Maynard this past November. My family, personally, sees his appeal. However, I can see why others may not. My son and I said hi to him outside the Tiki Room. He began telling us an elaborate story about the invisible babies in the parked strollers and how they've been eating the rare trees in Adventureland. My husband and other son were sitting at Jolly Holiday and Maynard went over and started talking to them too. My husband and younger son are both actors, and they got into a conversation about acting and improv. After lunch, we passed by him again and he told us how the sidewalks in Adventure got so many cracks. Apparently there's a trampoline in the elephant breakroom under the sidewalk. They jump up and down and bang their heads on the ceiling, hence the cracks in the sidewalk above. We played along and let him entertain us, but never felt trapped. I'll be sad not to see him on future trips and wish him well in his retirement.

We saw him last weekend and he wished me Happy Birthday, and did a little dance with a fan that he had. He had us laughing. Good for him. He's always fun to run into.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter