"Maybe We Should Go To Disney World Next Week" An Impromptu May DR *COMPLETE*

Hi Jeri,
I'm following your trip report and loving it.! Thinking about going back to Via Napoli next trip. Also your sandwich at WPE looks awesome. I get a kick out of all the movies you go to! :rotfl: Can't wait to read more! When is your next trip? Is it planned yet? ~Alicia

I've only found two places with it on tap.. Buffalo Wild Wings and Old Chicago Pizza. Most other places it's bottles if you can even find it that way.

Darn! I was just at BWW the other day for Rob's b-day and I totally didn't even notice it. Normally not a big BWW fan, but I may have to make a return trip just for that. :thumbsup2

Joining in! I would pass out from disbelief if my husband suggested a spur of the moment Disney trip....getting him to agree 6 months out is enough of a challenge for me! You're a lucky girl! :)

I'm having so much fun following along with your report! You seem like my kind of people.....I take the approach that rides & shows are just something you do to fill the time between meals!

Can't wait to read more!

Thanks for joining in! :goodvibes

I am definitely very lucky to have a hubby so willing to jump in with both feet to all my Disney craziness!

:lmao: Everything in life is basically just filler until it's time to eat again. Our days off are planned entirely around meals as well.

I have never had the meatloaf sandwich at WPE before. I will have to try it next time, it looks really yummy!!

I think the meatloaf sandwich is Rob's favorite menu item in all of WDW. We would highly recommend it! :thumbsup2

Your sandwich looks great I'll have to try it next time for sure. I would make the sacrifice to eat colder food to relax in my room as well and enjoy tv show and eat in. My husband on the other hand likes to eat at a table at the restaurants but desserts we often taken back for later on ... ( yeah kind of a dud that way lol )

Sometimes I like eating out, but there is definitely something about eating in comfort, whether it's a hotel room or our living room, vegged out in front of the tv. It's the simple pleasures in life.

We LOVE Via Napoli! Last time DSis and I split the Quattro Formaggi pizza and added parma ham at the suggestion of our waiter. Heaven! :love:

Looks like you had a great time at ESPN. Thanks to your DR, you've convinced me to try the Schofferhofer Grapefruit and the Angry Orchard. I've never had either and I need to rectify that. ;)

Your sandwich looks sooo good! WPE is a favourite of ours too but I've never tried that sandwich. There are just too many good things on their menu, LOL.

Mmmmm, parma ham sounds good too. I'm overwhelmed with choices! :laughing:

Oh my goodness, you must try both! At least Angry Orchard is much easier to come by. The crisp apple is my favorite. :thumbsup2

I am always so torn on what to order at WPE. I've liked everything I've ever tried there, so I have my favorites, but then there are always so many other items I want to try. I need to hurry up and move down there so I can try everything!

All caught up on your delicious reviews!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Glad you're caught up! I need to do some major updating the next few weeks so that I'm caught up before the next trip starts! :laughing:

Had fun catching up this morning! I just love Yacht & Beach Club but for some reason have never tried Captains Grill. It is going on the list! As is the meatloaf sandwich (sans horseradish) at WPE!! Isn't Via Napoli just delicious?!?!? I soooo wish they sold it by the slice at the pizza window or in Tutto Gusto. I am hungry just thinking about it!!!!

Yacht & Beach Club are awesome! Such beautiful resorts. Captain's Grille is definitely fantastic. Always are great spot for a last minute reservation. The meatloaf sandwich without the sauce is definitely the way to go. It is amazing. I don't know why they don't have a little stand and sell VN pizza by the slice! I was wanting that option so badly the one night in Epcot.

Hi Jeri,
I'm following your trip report and loving it.! Thinking about going back to Via Napoli next trip. Also your sandwich at WPE looks awesome. I get a kick out of all the movies you go to! :rotfl: Can't wait to read more! When is your next trip? Is it planned yet? ~Alicia

Hey Alicia! We do love our movies. :laughing: We would have seen more this trip, but we ran out of ones we hadn't already seen within a few days.

Next trip is in 75 days! One night at AKL and 6 nights at BLT. We'll be there for the first day of F&W and my SIL and her boyfriend start their trip that day, so we get to spend our last day in Epcot with them. We can't wait!

We were up pretty early the next morning, so we got ready and headed over to the food court at Old Port Royale for breakfast before we made our way to a park.

We looked over the options at all the different stations. Most of the items very pretty basic. Mickey Waffles, Bounty platters etc, but then we finally found one item that caught our eye and we decided to split a breakfast entree and each get a pastry. Rob got the pastries and drinks and I waited at the hot station.

It took forever at the station I was at because every single person in line ordered the same thing. I finally paid and made my way over to a seat Rob had saved for us. By the time I got there his pastry was gone, so no pic. Sorry! He had a cheese/guava danish. He said the guava was kinda weird. He wasn't a fan.

I had a regular all cheese danish.

Delicious as always! I love, love, love Disney's cheese danish!

Then Rob and I split a Steak, Egg and Cheese Quesadilla.

This was actually really good! Then menu picture showed it coming with salsa as well, but we didn't get any. The sour cream was really good with it, but salsa would have been great too. There was quite a bit of thinly sliced cheesesteak type meat inside the quesadilla. Hardly a gourmet breakfast, but it hit the spot!

Then we made our way back to our building so I could drive us to Hollywood Studios for a fun filled day!

We were at HS before rope drop at 9am and by 11:45am we had done Toy Story twice, Star Tours twice, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Muppets 3D and Great Movie Ride. That was really all we cared to do in that park and we aren't crazy about the food options at that park, so we made our way back to the car and decided to drive to Polynesian for lunch. It always seems pretty dead there for lunch, so we figured we would just drive over there and try our luck getting in.

So, this is where we saw a big difference this trip. Resort parking. We've never had an issue. We are always genuinely there to eat and not to try and skip out on paying for parking at a park, but we don't always have a reservation. Sometime we go to Boardwalk just for the bakery, or in this case, just stopping by to try our luck at grabbing a table somewhere during the slower lunch hours. As soon as we pulled up to the security shack at Poly we told them we were there for lunch and they asked if we had reservations. We said no and they told us no parking without a reservation. I said, how about valet, knowing I could validate with TiW. They said no. To turn around and leave and I could park at TTC. They said the lot was too full due to construction. Now, there were some construction vehicles in the lot, but the lot wasn't even a quarter full. I wasn't going through all the hassle of TTC parking at this point, so I ended up having to leave, pull over on the side of the road and make a reservation on the Disney app and then pull back in to have my MagicBand scanned. It was such a hassle! I was seriously annoyed by the whole thing. I can see enforcing it if they think someone is trying to skip out on paying for parking, but I had a resort parking permit in my car window, so I wouldn't have to pay anyway. I could also see if it was after 5pm or so and the lot really might be filling up with people coming to dinner at 'Ohana and the luau, but come on. The lot is nearly empty and noon on a Thursday. Give me a break. The guards were so smug about it too. It really bugged me.

The whole situation kind of put me off of lunch to be honest. Then we walk in to the lobby and go upstairs and as soon as you reach the top you are greeted by a great big wall in your face. I hate how they have the whole railing around the top floor walled off. It takes away so much of the charm. There was one side without a wall. This is what it looked like from the one side not blocked off.

:sad2: I don't like it one bit.

We were seated immediately and taken over to a booth/table on the back wall. We were seated next to an older couple who ended up striking up a conversation with us and were absolutely lovely! We got to talking with them more and found out they were originally from close to the same area as us. In fact, the man and I even went to the same high school! It really is a small world after all. :laughing:

We passed on appetizers since we had a big meal planned for later that night and decided to do entrees only.

Rob had the Kona Surf and Turf Burger Deluxe. Grilled Angus Chuck Burger topped with Brie, spicy Fried Shrimp, Black Garlic Aioli, and Sweet Potato Fries, which he subbed for regular fries.

He absolutely loved this burger. It was one of his favorite things he ate this trip. He loved the brie on there.

I wasn't quite feeling any of the options, but I really liked what I had here for lunch a few trips ago, so I got the same thing again. Barbecue Pork Taco - Pulled Pork Slow-cooked in House-made Barbecue Sauce with Tomato Salsa and Jalapeño-Lime Sour Cream served in a House-made Shell with Pasta Salad and Smokey Bacon Slaw.

I really loved these last time, but this time... yuck. There was waaaay too much of the sour cream on there, I didn't taste any tomato salsa, the pork was pretty dry and the shells that I so enjoyed last time were completely stale this time. Didn't care for the pasta salad either. I made it through one taco and picked some of the meat off the second one and that was about it. To be honest, I was just thrown by the whole parking situation and the construction was bumming me out, so I was just not feeling this meal from jump street. Rob really liked it and wasn't too bothered by everything else, but I guess I was just in a mood and let everything get to me. Not a favorite meal for me, but it was for Rob, so it just goes to show you how different people's experiences can be. Even when they're sitting at the same table. :laughing:

Up next, my favorite meal of the trip!

It seems like many people swear by Kona. I've tried it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and while I can see breakfast's appeal, the place just doesn't do it for me. :sad2: Sorry to hear it missed the mark for you as well.

And you're so right about parking. Ever since the MagicBand system rolled out, they've become much more serious about scanning everyone in (particularly at the resorts with prime locations, such as monorail and Epcot resorts). Personally, I find it annoying, since it defeats the whole idea of walking up to a place like Kona, Captain's Grille, or The Wave (which are all dead during lunch). I'm not parking at a theme park and dealing with 20-30 minutes of transport to try for a walk up - those restaurants aren't worth it! The construction at Poly (which is so depressing right now) can't be helping things, either.

Btw, I recall you mentioned a bartender recommending Disneyland Paris to you guys! As of right now, I'm not sure I'd agree. ;)

I've read a bunch of your dining reviews and am finally chiming in now!

It is so frustrating when you don't get the magical disney greeting and it can ruin everything after it. Sorry it wasn't a great meal for you.

Oh yikes on the parking ugh! Robs hamburger does look great, but the shells on your taco look thick or fired or something? I hope your dinner was much better : )

Glad to hear about breakfast and such a productive morning, but completely understandable for your lunch time mood. And how smug of the security guards. Next thing you will have to make reservations to park somewhere in advance. So much for customer service. But that burger did look damn good. Hopefully improvement is on the horizon.

Bummer about the security guard. That would upset me too. As with most things Disney, it always seems dependent on how your CM will act on a given day. We were there for Memorial Day weekend and wanted to eat at a monorail resort for dinner. We drove to Grand Floridian which had a sign up saying parking was restricted to guests, etc. I asked the security guard if we could park there since we wanted to try and eat at the bar at one of the restaurants. He asked which one and I said Citricos or Narcoosee, and then he let us in, even though we were open about not having an ADR. :confused3 Hopefully, they aren't getting really strict. :(

The parking situation would have put a damper on my lunch plans too!! At least Rob enjoyed his burger, it looked really good. Sorry your tacos were not as good as the last time. Looking forward to hearing about your favorite meal :thumbsup2

It seems like many people swear by Kona. I've tried it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and while I can see breakfast's appeal, the place just doesn't do it for me. :sad2: Sorry to hear it missed the mark for you as well.

And you're so right about parking. Ever since the MagicBand system rolled out, they've become much more serious about scanning everyone in (particularly at the resorts with prime locations, such as monorail and Epcot resorts). Personally, I find it annoying, since it defeats the whole idea of walking up to a place like Kona, Captain's Grille, or The Wave (which are all dead during lunch). I'm not parking at a theme park and dealing with 20-30 minutes of transport to try for a walk up - those restaurants aren't worth it! The construction at Poly (which is so depressing right now) can't be helping things, either.

Btw, I recall you mentioned a bartender recommending Disneyland Paris to you guys! As of right now, I'm not sure I'd agree. ;)

Kona used to be one of my favorites. While I still enjoy it, it's not as good as it used to be. Maybe I've just overdone it there. I used to really love dinner there, but once they got rid of their amazing Tuna Oscar I was done. Breakfast is definitely their best option there.

I understand that they are trying to cut back on people 'cheating' the parking system and that there are some major construction issues at a few resorts right now, but this is getting crazy. If I can't just park at a hotel without a reservation it is going to seriously disrupt some of our last minute plans. We like just stopping by Boardwalk for the bakery and things like that. If you have an AP or TiW or you're staying on site, you should definitely not be discouraged from visiting the different resorts. I'm a shameless Disney apologist, but they are starting to do a few things to really make me shake my head lately. They need to rethink a few things right now. Especially with Universal nipping at their heels. ;)

I hope your DLP experience gets a lot better! Sorry you're 'stuck' in France. :laughing: I've been following your trip over on the live thread. I am absolutely dying to go to France! I have a lot of family in England and I am hoping to get over there next year for a trip. With a day trip to Paris thrown in for good measure.

I've read a bunch of your dining reviews and am finally chiming in now!

It is so frustrating when you don't get the magical disney greeting and it can ruin everything after it. Sorry it wasn't a great meal for you.

Thanks for joining in! It was definitely very frustrating. I try not to let that kind of stuff bother me, but I'm definitely a little too sensitive sometimes. I'm in customer service myself, so I am definitely extra frustrated by a total lack of it in certain instances.

Oh yikes on the parking ugh! Robs hamburger does look great, but the shells on your taco look thick or fired or something? I hope your dinner was much better : )

The mouse seriously needs some expanded parking to go along with all the other expansion going on if it's going to be an issue. I'm curious to see what the situation is like in September. I'm definitely going to be a lot more cautious with my plans now that I know what the deal is.

The shells are a thick, slightly crunchy, fried type of shell. They were amazing the last time, but this time they were definitely not fresh, which really took away from it.

Glad to hear about breakfast and such a productive morning, but completely understandable for your lunch time mood. And how smug of the security guards. Next thing you will have to make reservations to park somewhere in advance. So much for customer service. But that burger did look damn good. Hopefully improvement is on the horizon.

That's what bothered me the most I think. It wasn't so much the new rule as it was their attitude about it. A more helpful attitude from them would have made for a more pleasant experience. I am definitely ready for all this Poly construction to be done. I hope they improve it for the better, but I am dubious.

Bummer about the security guard. That would upset me too. As with most things Disney, it always seems dependent on how your CM will act on a given day. We were there for Memorial Day weekend and wanted to eat at a monorail resort for dinner. We drove to Grand Floridian which had a sign up saying parking was restricted to guests, etc. I asked the security guard if we could park there since we wanted to try and eat at the bar at one of the restaurants. He asked which one and I said Citricos or Narcoosee, and then he let us in, even though we were open about not having an ADR. :confused3 Hopefully, they aren't getting really strict. :(

You're absolutely right. A CM can really make or break your day. We come to expect a lot from Disney and they need to really deliver on the customer service level. I think the parking situation might depend a lot on the guard on duty and if the lot really is getting full. I would definitely like some more clarity and consistency if they are going to start strictly enforcing a parking policy. All I need is a rule and then I will gladly (or sometimes maybe not so gladly) abide by it.

The parking situation would have put a damper on my lunch plans too!! At least Rob enjoyed his burger, it looked really good. Sorry your tacos were not as good as the last time. Looking forward to hearing about your favorite meal :thumbsup2

He most definitely did love that burger! If he's happy, I'm happy. :) My tacos were kind of a bummer though. I should have branched out a little more with my choice.

After lunch we went back to the resort for, you guessed it, our mid-day pool time! It was starting to rain, but it wasn't pouring, and since there was no thunder or lightning we still went anyway. What the heck, we're already gonna get wet!

After some pool time we went back to the room to veg out for a little while and then we got ready and left for our dinner reservation at Fort Wilderness. We took a different internal bus than we usually do and passed by different areas of the resort I had never seen before. We passed by the actual campground part. I know this is going to sound stupid, but I didn't realize you could camp camp there. :laughing: I thought the RV part and the cabins were Disney's idea of camping. I saw a whole huge field of regular tents set up. That sounds like an absolute nightmare to me. If there's one thing you'll never see me doing, it's camping. All-Star Sports is the closest I'm getting to roughing it. :lmao:

Anyway, by the time we made it back to the Settlement Depot it had completely stopped raining and the sun was coming out again.

We were once again at our new favorite spot. Trail's End! This time we were going to try their dinner buffet. We were seated immediately and our waitress came right over to take our drink orders. Rob ordered the Smoked Turkey drink he had at Captain's Grille the other night. The waitress said that if he didn't like she would take it back and get him something else. Boy, that drink really has a reputation. :laughing: He assured her he already liked it, but thanked her for the offer. I stuck to a non-alcoholic drink and got a Coke served in their mason jars.

Then we hit the buffet...hard! :lmao:

Rob's first plate.

Mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, fried chicken, ribs and carved beef. He said the fried chicken was the best he had ever had. He really loved the ribs too and he is picky about ribs. He said they fell right off the bone.

My first plate.

Corn bread, the pasta special, mac & cheese, fried chicken, roasted chicken, a baked potato with sour cream, cheese and pulled pork and then some caesar salad. I needed to throw some greens in there so my heart didn't stop from the meat plate. :laughing:

Everything was AMAZING!!! :love: The corn bread was so moist and delicious. I forget what the pasta dish was exactly, but there was some type of bean in there with tomatoes and spinach and it was heavenly. The mac & cheese wasn't the gross neon orange type of junk, but legit homemade mac & cheese. Loved both kinds of chicken. And the real winner was my sick ridiculous loaded baked potato. Pulled pork on your baked potato is the way to go! :thumbsup2

That plate is shameful. Even more shameful... I got a second plate. Oink, oink.

Rob's second plate.

More fried chicken, ribs, carved beef and pecan squares. I have never seen the man eat a pecan square or pecan pie. He doesn't even know why he grabbed one, but he LOVED it! He is still talking about those pecan squares. :laughing: He made me get one too and I was not disappointed. I'm not usually a fan of those, but they were heavenly!

My second plate.

More cornbread, another baked potato and carved beef. Yup, you're seeing that right. TWO baked potatoes. For shame. They were so good though! I couldn't help myself!

Okay, now it's time for dessert. Believe it or not, we still had room. :lmao:

Rob's dessert plate.

Did I mention he liked the pecan squares? :lmao: A couple chocolate chip cookies for good measure.

My dessert bowl.

Sugar cookies, a chocolate chip cookie, bread pudding, apple cobbler and banana pudding. Yum to all! The cobbler needed some ice cream on it, but I didn't want to go overboard. :laughing:

Okay, now we're full. So very, very, very full. Full, but happy. :goodvibes The food is so basic, but executed PERFECTLY. And it's cheap! I have to double check, but I think it was $22.99 each. Non-alcoholic drinks are included. For Disney, that's not too shabby. This dinner confirmed that it is our new must-do spot. I have breakfast and dinner booked again for September and I'm looking forward to it waaaay more than Narcoossee. We are so thrilled with this place! I hope they don't change it or make it a character meal. It's perfect just as it is.

Now, before we head back to the car, it's selfie time!

Those are our 'pretend you're not so full that you're only thinking about unbuttoning your jeans' smiles. :rotfl2:

Now it's time to head back to the room and get comfy and watch the Big Bang Theory finale. Bliss.

FINALLY !!!!!! a Trail's End diner buffet review with awesome pics , I am so happy we added that to our ADR's , 7 days and counting !
great reviews :thumbsup2

Trails End is another spot I have yet to try. I am generally not a big buffet fan but it gets such rave reviews I think we will have to check it out!

Sorry for the parking fiasco at the Poly. That and the construction would have frustrated me too. I was able to park/valet at the Beach Club a few Sundays ago. As has been said, probably depends on date/crowds and the CM you get. I heard they were very strict, understandably, yesterday (the 4th). But i certainly hope they aren't discouraging poking around the resorts.:rolleyes:

So happy you both loved trails end dinner ... We ate there many years ago with my kids and it was good but now it looks even better with many more dessert items. My husband loves any dessert with pecans since he was born and raised in South Carolina with pecan trees in their yard. He would love those pecan squares! I had trails end booked when we were staying at WL but we switched to AKL & GF after WL poolgate was announced so I cancel TE ... Your dinner looks and sounds so delicious I may have to see to if I can rebook.
Wonderful report as always and love your selfie couple pic, adorable!

So happy that you loved the Trail's End dinner. After I saw your last trips breakfast to this wonderful location, we changed out our Chef Mickey's for Trail's End. We are very excited for it and for the fact that we will even save money on the deal! I would love to try dinner there some time as well. The fact that you still love it is very encouraging.

Hi Jeri, you dinner looked good. We have never tried there before. We have whispering Canyon for our upcoming trip....with free dining! Can't wait till you post more! Your dining reviews are awesome!:thumbsup2

I just found your TR & love the spontinaity of it! Our trip in 2011 was book & planned in 3wks last minute & we had a blast! It looks like a great trip!

Trails End looked so good, I'm a lover of potatoes too. Add some pulled pork and cheese, OMG I would have eaten two also..:rotfl2:

What a great trails end visit. I'd never considered it before, but we will be at WL in September so it may be a good option as I've heard its easy to walk up to. My hubby would likely be in heaven, as he adores "country" food from his southern upbringing but his italian wife does not seek capable of producing anything that can compare to his youth ; ). Avid for the price, awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter