• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Maybe Avatarland?

That thing would be 3-1/2 times as tall as the Tree of Life. :eek:

Whatever park is getting it will score a major hit, I can't wait to find out more about it. Doesn't seem like something Disney would put in to me, though.

Edit: lots of hits on the Web for Polarcoaster, including this video. It looks like they will be building them in lots of places (a shorter one will be built this year at a sports facility north of Atlanta), so it may not be that unique by the time it comes to the Florida park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPCZy-3n4x0

Now if they build the floating mountains with a track similar to this around the outside and through-- that would be cool.

cant wait to see how they deal with the floating mountains

Somewhere on here there is a photo of Joe and James with a model of the expansion-- It looks good-- I think they have used the vines that hang as part of a camouflaged support.

Somewhere on here there is a photo of Joe and James with a model of the expansion-- It looks good-- I think they have used the vines that hang as part of a camouflaged support.

I dunno... this thing is as tall as a 50-story building. How do you camouflage a 50 story tower so that it looks like anything other than a 50 story tower?

I'd bet it's not even a Universal thing - probably a stand-alone attraction, or Sea World.

I dunno... this thing is as tall as a 50-story building. How do you camouflage a 50 story tower so that it looks like anything other than a 50 story tower?

I'd bet it's not even a Universal thing - probably a stand-alone attraction, or Sea World.

agreed but my thoughts were not that the ride in mention at the beginning of this thread is being used for avatarland, but that a form of it blended into the floating mountains in a way to simulate flying around and through the mountains would be cool. purely speculation.

agreed but my thoughts were not that the ride in mention at the beginning of this thread is being used for avatarland, but that a form of it blended into the floating mountains in a way to simulate flying around and through the mountains would be cool. purely speculation.

I could see a shorter version of this - maybe a combo of ToT and this ride. From what I saw, it looks like the cars in this ride move up a central elevator, and then ride down one of two roller coaster tracks.

ToT is very much like this, in a way. I could see Disney doing an immersive ToT-like ride up the elevator, and then a cool outdoors, down-the-mountain roller coaster. That would be pretty neat, and could combine current 3D ride technology with the ever-popular roller coaster experience.

~It's not for Avatarland or anything at WDW -- that's for sure. My guess would be Busch Gardens or Sea World. Universal doesn't need another extreme thrill coaster, but I will put them in the running as well. Cedar Point's Millennium Force is just over 300 ft. and that is extreme to me. Top Speed Dragster is 427 ft. and that is super extreme for me. I have no desire to ride a 525 ft coaster, but I can't wait to see who is building this.

~ETA: I see this coaster will also feature a 20,000 square ft. restaurant, too. So, it could just be a stand alone attraction somewhere.

Disney isn't building this. Disney doesn't build true thrill rides - they want rides for the whole family. Even their thrill rides are tame.

Plus Avatar's banshee ride is going to be more motion simulator than roller coaster.

Given Disney's aversion to the public seeing the backstage area, I doubt that it would be built in a WDW park. It would be way too tall and offer guests views that Disney wants to keep hidden. But, I suppose I could see it being worked into the Disney Springs project as a pay-per-ride attraction, along with a new restaurant on top.

I think there's a key line that tells us it's not Disney, which is: "Kitchen said the buyer has yet to decide the theme, specific design for the store and restaurant space or even the color scheme."

If it was something Disney was doing, it would almost certainly be in Avatarland, so this comment wouldn't have been made, right? My guess is Sea World, since Busch Gardens is already building a crazy new drop ride, Falcon's Fury, and it doesn't seem to fit Universal or Disney's M.O.

Either that, or it's just a standalone attraction somewhere in Orlando, maybe.

Well, the buyer could have deep pockets and bought it so no one else would have it. In the meantime, they could plan on where to put it. I could see Disney doing that. After all, if this was a ride that Disney hadn't planned on in advance, there wouldn't be a scheme planned out for it just yet.

With that said, my guess is that it won't be Disney.

I would guess SeaWorld as well. But it would also be cool if Disney made it into a starwars coaster for HollyWood Studios.:)

It looks cool but doesn't say Disney at all I would think sea world or Busch gardens something like that. Disney doesn't like outdoor coasters without extensive theming.

I think there's a key line that tells us it's not Disney, which is: "Kitchen said the buyer has yet to decide the theme, specific design for the store and restaurant space or even the color scheme."

That could just mean the buyer has yet to tell *THEM* what they're going to theme it. Disney could be buying it, know exactly what they want to do with it, and just haven't said anything yet because they don't need to and don't want any possibility of it being leaked.

But yeah, I'm leaning towards it not being a Disney ride, it seems a bit too thrill oriented for them. I know it has been said that it would almost have to go into a "big" theme park due to cost, but I still have a feeling it's going to Fun Spot in Kissimmee. How big of a draw would it be for them to have the tallest Sky Coaster *AND* the tallest Polercoaster in the world?

Avatar is going to be at Animal Kingdom I was told. WE were told they have started construction already. Don't know if that's true but that's what we were told by workers there

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter