MAYBE A MAY TRIP?? 3 WEEKS SAPPHIRE FALLS 2021

Such beautiful pictures! I was a bit confused though, when you said ham salad....here where I live a ham salad is chopped up ham mixed with chopped celery, relish and mayo.... the State I live in I can drive across town and run into a different accent, different food. We actually have an international section, the barrio, an area where the people from back east (mostly NY) live and then the parts of town where the California transplants are. Actually we have a lot of transplants in our State from many surrounding states. We natives call them all foreigners. :rolleyes1 We're a melting pot, :rotfl2:

Thanks, we do have a lovely country.

Yes, ham salad....chicken salad....shrimp salad....tuna salad are all a little bit different here.

If we have a ham salad on a plate....we have two or three slices of baked ham or any other style, and a salad and usually coleslaw on the plate too.....not all mixed up together.....

First time I ordered shrimp salad in America I was a little bemused.....so yes, when we order a ham salad sandwich, you get sliced ham with lettuce, tomato and cucumber on top......I`m sure it confuses folks the other way too when they expect what they`re used to.......

Don`t even mention shrimp cocktail!!!! Our shrimp comes mixed with a Marie Rose sauce....usually mayo, ketchup and some cayenne pepper. First time I ordered a shrimp cocktail I wondered what the weird red sauce to the side was :rotfl:I liked it though!

I hear you on the foreigners......lol.....yes, in the UK even locals can sound different. If you live 20 miles away you can sound so different. In Scotland I can usually tell where someone is from just by listening. But, yes, a melting pot is about right.

We were very impressed on a trip when a waiter asked us to speak and he`d guess where we were originally from.......and he got it almost spot on! :wave2:

We soon hit the hotel and were glad to see the sun was still shining where we were going.

Scotland is famous for the weather changing......don`t like it....hang around for 30 minutes and it`ll change.....it`s usually a pretty accurate way to forecast up there!

We like this hotel, it`s an old classic that has been revamped over the years. It has the old original part of the hotel which we do like, and they have seperate smaller buildings of which we are staying this time. For many years since before I was born it`s a hotel that was classically used for weddings or funerals and one of the more classic hotels. It has a beautiful position on the beach.

There is a lack of some personal info in this mini trip report, same as in the main ones. Those of you I`ve come to know well on here are always brilliant, but I`ve had some weird and wonderful questions very recently about why I don`t add this and that to the reports and asking rather personal questions.....well, not everything is relevent and some things I see no need to post. And most are from folks I don`t know :confused3

So, we arrived and got parked easily as there are loads of parking spaces here, but we were surprised how busy it was. It had only just reopened August 1st and they were full every night which is why we couldn`t stay in the main part of the hotel, but the attached rooms were nice too.

On entering there was a young lady taking temperatures and as we were good to go, we went over to check in. Reception is very quiet right now. The screens and sectioned off areas certainly do take a little away from the beautiful entrance area.

i-4SgZQVQ-X2.jpg

Last year there were sofa`s and more communal seating areas.......

i-DhDnNFX-X2.jpg

Check in was swift as we had already checked in online the day before, a new addition since Covid for you spend as little time as possible at the desk. And we were quick, or would have been but got chatting to one of the ladies who we spoke to a lot over our stay. But, we soon got our key and headed off to our room.

She did ask if we had booked for dinner in their nicer restaurant tonight as they were so full, I said yes, we had booked a few weeks ago, she was glad as we would never have got a table if we hadn`t.

We were on the upper floor of a two storey high block.....I much prefer to have no one above us as not everyone is considerate when someone is below them. You have your own door that only covers the other three in the building which is nice and as we went into the room we could see it was immaculately clean and the only change was no cups, saucers and all the tea making items were in a clear plastic bag and disposable cups. No bottles of water either, but we always bring our own anyway.

i-c2cTvWz-X2.jpg

It is a spacious room, the one beside us without the sea view has the sofa in an almost seperate area which would be handy if a third person was using it, but fine for us like this.

i-9xnVc4K-X2.jpg

Good sized bathroom with separate bath tub and shower.

i-t2rXbb4-X2.jpg

We didn`t have the full view of the Island we love so much, but she told us next time which building to ask for for that....annoying thing is we actually had that when we came up for my nephew`s wedding last year, but the weather was so gloomy we never saw the Island the whole time we were up!

i-SjGT6jK-X2.jpg

We got unpacked and settled in, then I couldn`t wait any longer to get out in the gardens and see my favourite place in the whole world (apart from Florida)

I think I may have mentioned before....this beach is my childhood and this Island was always something special and anytime we drive up home, it`s the first thing I look for and I know I`m home when I see it. I have a very romanticised view of it I guess.......Kyle shakes his head and tells me "It`s a rock" lol.....he has no connection to this area as he was 18 months old when we first moved away. But, he humours me......

This is one of the weather comments I grew up with......if you can`t see the Island it`s raining....if you can see the Island it`s going to rain.......:rotfl:Again, always true.

i-zML2hTw-X2.jpg

The tables had been set out for social distancing and on a day like today, almost every table was full of folks enjoying the late afternoon sun.

i-GNw3Xh8-X2.jpg

IMG_6999-X2.jpg

IMG_7019-X2.jpg

Looking back towards where I used to live......

i-bn85D3x-X2.jpg

The gate down to the beach was locked. Of course, so no-one could just wander in and into the hotel......they only wanted one way in and out which was at the front of the hotel, so it was understandable, but we did miss wandering along one of our favourite beaches........

i-ZdrQzXW-X2.jpg

This was us on the shore last year around the same time.......we had been so lucky with the weather last time around.

IMG_6989-X2.jpg

IMG_6983-X2.jpg

IMG_7006-X2.jpg

IMG_7010-X2.jpg

Spending time on the beach I spent the early part of my childhood means so much.....all the memories never leave you.

And the Island is stunning. The colours change sometimes hourly depending on the light, and I never tire of seeing it.......some days in winter you feel as if you can reach out and touch it, it feels so close and as a very young child as well as thinking the sun slept behind it, I also thought it was blue.....the light again playing tricks.

The light on the West coast is beautiful. It`s almost twinkly and sparkling and as there is no heavy industry around here the air is crystal clear, water sparkling and just altogether beautiful.

We sat for the longest time just admiring the view and enjoying the tranquility of the gardens....but soon we were headed back to the room to get changed, go for a drink in the other bar, then dinner.

Welcome Home! What a beautiful drive, I can see why you enjoy it. Add me to those who really enjoy seeing the difference in food and what dishes are comprised of — it’s really fun to see the variations!

Your hotel room was quite nice. I don’t blame you for wanting to get out and enjoy the beautiful beach and view! Add in the childhood memories, and it’s so nice to have those special moments 💜

Very excited to see what you’d like to share — this is a public message board so of course no one should expect you to share personal information! I’m grateful for all the beautiful photos, your experiences, and your relentless positivity. There was never a time it was needed more — Thank You!! 🥰

Maria :upsidedow

I am so excited that you decided to add a bit of a Scotland trip report...one day I will get there....in the meantime I will "visit" through your trip report! Hope all is well!

Hey jocelyn!!!!

Oh I`m glad you are enjoying it.....it`s very short to be honest as so much time was with family, but there are one or two pictures there! Oh yes, you have to visit one day, it`s a stunning country and I wish we had more time to go further up into the real mountains......so beautful.

Yep, we`re all good over here thanks.......hope the same for you and yours.......:wave2:

@schumigirl Thank you for sharing! As usual pictures are outstanding. I swear I could read a trip report from you about the grocery store and truly enjoy it. :love:

lol......Minnie you made me laugh so hard when I read that.......glad I wasn`t supping tea or it would have been all over my laptop.......:rotfl:

But, thank you......I take all compliments........:cheer2:

Welcome Home! What a beautiful drive, I can see why you enjoy it. Add me to those who really enjoy seeing the difference in food and what dishes are comprised of — it’s really fun to see the variations!

Your hotel room was quite nice. I don’t blame you for wanting to get out and enjoy the beautiful beach and view! Add in the childhood memories, and it’s so nice to have those special moments 💜

Very excited to see what you’d like to share — this is a public message board so of course no one should expect you to share personal information! I’m grateful for all the beautiful photos, your experiences, and your relentless positivity. There was never a time it was needed more — Thank You!! 🥰

Maria :upsidedow

Oh thank you Maria.....❤ I know most folks understand I don`t post everything about my life. I am always amazed at the personal info some folks do share on an open board!!

Yes, our food differences are dramatic at times.......we tend to call jalapenos......chillies. So on our first visit I was having a salad and asked for some chillies on top......her face when she thought I was asking for a bowl of chilli on top.....lol......a quick conversation soon rectified that, but she must have thought I was crazy for wanting that on top of a salad......from then on I made sure I asked for jalapenos......

We love going back up there. Tom grew up a little further along the coast so it`s a shared memory too.....

I`m glad you`re enjoying it too Maria.......and thank you too :wave2:

Back in the room, we showered and changed for dinner.

They have two restaurants in this hotel, one more casual which is their bar area, but we had very good food last few times we have stayed here in that option. But, we do prefer their more upmarket restaurant, and it has the advantage of facing the sea so we get those beautiful views while we eat.

The tide had come in further and we can usually see seals and sometimes dolphins, of which there were some popping out of the water, but just didn`t manage to catch them with my camera. We also have a lot of basking sharks around out there. Haven`t seen them for years though.

The little island in the picture below is known locally as Paddy`s milestone.....it`s exactly a mile off of the main island.

It`s famous for a couple of things, one is the wildlife as it is a bird sanctuary. You can`t just go and sail to it and land because of that. The island is home to one of the largest gannet colonies in the world, with more than 70,000 birds, and has for many years been designated as a European Special Protection Area. It also has an increasingly significant number of puffins making it their home.

The other thing it is world famous for is the granite. It apparently has the best granite which makes the best curling stones in the world.

i-VFkhwMs-X2.jpg

We had a wander down to their formal sitting room. We do like this room as it`s never normally busy and you can have a quiet chat, a drink or in some people`s cases a snooze!!! That sun streaming in the huge windows is just beautiful and does give you a sense of tranquility and quiet.

If we can, we like to pass half an hour or so in here every day......and those are very comfortable sofas they have in there.

i-3RcMC59-X2.jpg

i-gFJ4qDw-X2.jpg

We head through to their bar to have a drink before we go through for dinner. Again, it`s welcoming and friendly. We aren`t sure we can just go sit down anywhere like we used to, but one of the staff tells us we can sit down anywhere there isn`t a sign telling you not to......that`s simple enough even for us to understand.......

They are operating both table service or you can order at the bar, but they prefer you don`t. Although some folks are coming in from the garden to order, but they seem to be distancing themselves from the one in front. They are offering waiter service out there too, but I guess some folks prefer just to get their own.

We order two red wines, the same as the bottle we are going to order next door in the restaurant with dinner, and it is nice so we`ll stick with that.

It is nice in here......fairly quiet despite the hotel being full. I guess with it being such a lovely evening, everyone is outside or off doing something touristy.......we plan to just stay in here till it`s time for our reservation as with most places they are asking you to not turn up early.

We didn`t recognise any of the staff from last visit, but they were very nice.

i-wgw8QKj-X2.jpg

We wandered through to claim our table....a much coveted table due to the Governments offer for Mon through Wed to have the discount on meals. It was incredibly popular so tables in places were quite hard to get. We had booked weeks before for tonight and for Thursday too and I was glad we did.

We had the perfect table, right at the front with a beautiful view of the grounds and sea. The way the restaurant is designed, it does make the most of the views which is lovely.

i-4tPfbXF-X2.jpg

We could snap away for hours taking in every change of the light and the changes in the colours here.....although we live by the sea on the East Coast.....it is nowhere near as pretty as this side of the country is......and the sunset here is one of the prettiest ever. Summer or winter.

i-pC9n6nj-X2.jpg

i-rkVHM6b-X2.jpg

Priorities as always, we get the wine ordered first, and very nice it is too......::yes::

i-hDc7Jtj-X2.jpg

We had both studied this new menu for quite a time before we came up for this visit, not uncommon for us........I wonder if you can have menu reading as a skill or a hobby, as we certainly pass enough time reading menu`s....

Tom knew he was going to have the Confit duck, Ayrshire black pudding and leek bon bons, and they came with a mustard mayonnaise which was beautiful, but could have had a little more of it on the plate.

We thought the confit duck would be on it`s own, but it was mixed through with the black pudding and it was lovely......and I say this as someone who claims not to like black pudding!

i-T4rf6pK-X2.jpg

I eventually, after much deliberation opted for the pan seared scallops with on an Ayrshire ham hough, pea and potato rosti with a crisp apple and endive salad.

To be honest I only really ordered this for the scallops.....I hate peas and hate hate pea puree, but love scallops. I know you can ask for them without, but I prefer not to be that person who has all the issues. Different if it`s medical, but I can work around the peas and I don`t feel I`m being a pest to the chef.

Not hand dived scallops which is my preference, especially up here where they are fairly common.....but they were lovely, and cooked properly.

i-8wQFN85-X2.jpg

We asked for a nice gap between courses and that`s what we got......just the right amount of time between them. They did have a sign up asking everyone takes 90 minutes before returning the table, but they told us there was no one in after us, so we could take our time.

It was lovely just sitting as the sun was only just beginning to set.......we sipped our wine and chatted about anything and everything.......it was one of the most relaxed dinners with the most beautiful scenery.

Tom`s entree was slow cooked beef bourguignon caramelised shallots, creamed potato, button mushrooms and bacon lardons and he chose to have real chips with his instead of the mashed potato.......this looked almost like a curry it was so red. But it was incredibly rich and so beautifully cooked......the meat did melt in the mouth and the sauce was so sweet and tasty. He was glad he ordered it.

i-HSpKcdd-X2.jpg

I love pork, but very rarely order it outside as I prefer to cook it myself, but tonight I did like the sound of one dish they had added. It was roasted pork fillet served with a caramelised apple puree, tempura fried Ayrshire black pudding, wilted baby leaf spinach and mustard mash which really is an unusual choice for me as it had black pudding in it, and again, I always say I don`t like it.

It really is a thing you either like or you don`t. The ingredients immediately put most folks off....it does me truth be told......but I have to say, the two pieces I tried tonight completely changed my mind as they were top class.

i-QLcpCB5-X2.jpg

For me, the pork was slightly underdone, I know you can have pork pink, but I prefer it cooked through.....however, it was beautiful. Very soft and tender and all the components of the dish worked so well together. And the tempura black pudding.....wow!!! Poor Tom expected to inherit it as he usually does with anything I don`t like 😁......and I did share it with him, but I thought it was lovely and the dish came with a beautiful sauce. I loved it.

We did see someone sitting opposite us send the pork back to have it cooked more......I didn`t think it needed it, but can see why some do like their pork well done. I`d never ask for my pork medium, but have to admit, I liked the way the chef cooked this one.

Some nights we don`t bother with dessert, but tonight was definitely a we will have a dessert.......Tom went for his traditional warm sticky toffee pudding served with toffee sauce and vanilla ice cream....one he almost always opts for if it`s on a menu.

i-6M6Zt89-X2.jpg

I went for the rather simple apple crumble served with vanilla ice cream......the portion is bigger than it looks......and very nice they both were too.

i-LdtMWCk-X2.jpg

We just charged everything to the room, but did give our tip seperate and the young lady who had been looking after us was excellent. Although we had the discount with the Government scheme, we do tip on what would be the full amount. I know some don`t, but we most certainly did.

A quick bathroom visit and we headed back outside to see my favourite sunset........

It was definitely a bit chilly now......I guess late August we should expect it, but I didn`t feel it......I was just happy to be here and pleased the evening was so lovely so we could see the sunset.

I`m aware I bang on about how gorgeous it is here.....but when you miss a place, you just want to make the most of it while we can........

Tom however decided it was decidely chilly for him and said 10 minutes would be enough for him. I have to admit, we didn`t have jackets on and it was very autumnal feeling.......so once we had seen the sunset, we`d head back in.

I don`t think the camera catches just how stunning it really is in real life........❤

i-97hZLHM-X2.jpg

i-4gTrWcJ-X2.jpg

i-qpxn7Xt-X2.jpg

i-RRVpZ6j-X2.jpg

i-PmhvZXT-X2.jpg

I`m not ashamed to admit I always have a tear in my eye when I see this.

I always tease @keishashadow I hate bagpipes.....Janet however, loves them......but I have to say if there had been a man playing the bagpipes there at that moment, especially if he had been playing O Flower of Scotland......I`d have been a blubbing, crying mess right about now.......:blush:

We stay sometimes in a castle hotel further up in the real HIghlands, and they have a piper pipe you into dinner every night....it is lovely as it`s quite short........ but when he plays outside in the morning to waken everyone up......not so happy!!!!

Tom is ready to go in now, so I take a last look at our view before we go in, we may not see this again for the rest of the trip as the weather has to turn nasty.

But, for now we head back to the room, order some teas from room service which is happily still on offer despite Covid. It arrives about 15 minutes after we order it. We put the tv on and watch some with our tea.

I do look out the window and marvel at how pitch black it is here....Kyle would love it for his astronomy as there is no light pollution here at all......it`s so dark I cannot see anything in front of us, except......the lighthouses over in the Island. I remember as a child sometimes waking in the night and my bedroom window overlooked the same view.....I used to watch all three lighthouses flicker on and off for what seemed like hours......so I make sure I have the drapes open at night as the bed faces the window so I can see that view anytime.

It must be midnight before I fell asleep......Tom had long since dropped off, and I was surprised as it had been a long day.

But, tomorrow I would see my mum.

Oh, what a novel and interesting idea for an August evening to be chilly! I think we broke records yesterday with our heat index.😂 Gorgeous views and gorgeous hotel! I am definitely in the category of loving the bagpipes.

Carole,

This scenery is absolutely stunning! What a wonderful view, I would have stayed at my table as long as possible. Your meal looks delicious! I'm afraid there are a lot of things I wouldn't try, but I would be all in on any hand dived scallops available! Scottish smoked salmon is also one of my favorites. And my mouth is watering just thinking about shortbread...

Loving your trip, and I know it will be so nice to see Mum!

What a perfect day and a lovely way to start your vacation!
The food looks absolutely delish, and the views are stunning:cloud9:

I like bagpipes too...
When we were in Lahaina, Maui we went to a bar(Fleetwoods on Front St.) owned by Mick Fleetwood. Every night at sunset, a native Hawaiian would blow into a conch shell.....and another gentleman would play the bagpipes. It was a beautiful combination and matched the setting perfectly!

I always tease @keishashadow I hate bagpipes.....Janet however, loves them......but I have to say if there had been a man playing the bagpipes there at that moment, especially if he had been playing O Flower of Scotland......I`d have been a blubbing, crying mess right about now.......
Lol see you do like them, deep down

amazing pics as usual! all looks So classy, unlike many beach properties in US
That are decidedly casual

has no idea puffins lives outside of Alaska duh

I like bagpipes too...
When we were in Lahaina, Maui we went to a bar(Fleetwoods on Front St.) owned by Mick Fleetwood. Every night at sunset, a native Hawaiian would blow into a conch shell.....and another gentleman would play the bagpipes. It was a beautiful combination and matched the setting perfectly!
How the heck did I miss that? Guess we’ll have to go back...someday :)

Oh, what a novel and interesting idea for an August evening to be chilly! I think we broke records yesterday with our heat index.😂 Gorgeous views and gorgeous hotel! I am definitely in the category of loving the bagpipes.

lol.....I`m definitely in the minority with the bagpipes! Yep, we love that hotel and location......hard to beat back home......

Our autumn temps start to change late August early September. Sometimes we get an "Indian summer" and September can be boiling hot.......well, boiling hot for the UK......but now, it`s normal to be chilly in the morning and evenings fairly early.

Glad you have such lovely weather though....I`m not jealous......:laughing:

Carole,

This scenery is absolutely stunning! What a wonderful view, I would have stayed at my table as long as possible. Your meal looks delicious! I'm afraid there are a lot of things I wouldn't try, but I would be all in on any hand dived scallops available! Scottish smoked salmon is also one of my favorites. And my mouth is watering just thinking about shortbread...

Loving your trip, and I know it will be so nice to see Mum!

It is stunning......and yes, we could have sat there all night, but I just wanted to get out, smell the sea air and see that sunset close up.....

Yes, black pudding is one of those food items that`s not for everyone, I won`t say I`m the biggest fan of it, but I can eat a small amount of it........and yes, I love smoked salmon too.....one of my favourite things to have.

Thanks....I`m so glad you`re enjoying it......:wave2:

I like bagpipes too...

lol....another bagpipe fan!! I`m outnumbered for sure....

Yep, everything was wonderful, the food was lovely and couldn`t ask for a more perfect setting.....

Loving the sound of a bar owned by Mick Fleetwood....... :thumbsup2

lol.....maybe I do in a small way.......just a tiny amount....or in Scottish......a teeny wee bit......:rotfl:

Yes, the scenery and hotel are just gorgeous......it`s a favourite hotel of many and not too many kids there which we like now and again.

That sounds good to me too in Hawaii!!!

It`s on our ever growing bucket list......::yes::

We are (fingers crossed) hoping to go again next summer!
If the world returns to some semblance of normal...

When in Lahaina, we would rush to get to Fleetwood's before sundown. Grab an elderberry martini, kick back on the open air roof top bali-insipred furnishings,....and bliss!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter