"MAY INCLUDE RUM"..14 NIGHTS SAPPHIRE FALLS.. MAY `19 TRIP REPORT

Great report so far, as always!
Dislike cilantro and will not allow a green bean on my plate. :rotfl2: We have so many similarities. Also do not like Eddie Redmayne!
Disappearing grapes?? Tom definitely owed you a fermented glass of them after enjoying the last of them.

Can't wait to read more and see more food pictures.:cool1:

Woohoo!! Carole made it through a departure without getting frisked and fondled!

What a fantastic start! I've been telling Tony about Strong Water....we're both anxious to visit in November!

Hey, Carole!
Just got caught up with your new report. I just got back from 6 nights in Bermuda, very relaxing. Isn't the first day of vacation so exciting, with all that time to look forward to. Hated going back to work today, but I just consider it earning $$$ for the next trip, Maryland to visit my son and daughter-in-law in June, and Universal in September for my big six-oh!
Enjoying all your beautiful photos. 🍷

Great report so far, as always!
Dislike cilantro and will not allow a green bean on my plate. :rotfl2: We have so many similarities. Also do not like Eddie Redmayne!
Disappearing grapes?? Tom definitely owed you a fermented glass of them after enjoying the last of them.

Can't wait to read more and see more food pictures.:cool1:

lol....kindred spirits right enough!!!!

Cilantro tastes like soap to Tom and I......a certain % of the population tastes soap apparently...….never have got the taste for it.....and green beans...…🤢 or any kind of bean for that matter!!! I do love courgettes though (zucchini)

Yes, I think we earned that red wine.....it was gorgeous......some more food will be here soon...…..glad to see you!!!

Woohoo!! Carole made it through a departure without getting frisked and fondled!

What a fantastic start! I've been telling Tony about Strong Water....we're both anxious to visit in November!

Frisked and Fondled!!!!!! ......oh you do mange to make it sound like so much fun 😇 :rotfl::rotfl:

You will love Strong Water…...amazing place with the best folks looking after you ever...…..and cocktails are fabulous!!!! ::yes::

Hey, Carole!
Just got caught up with your new report. I just got back from 6 nights in Bermuda, very relaxing. Isn't the first day of vacation so exciting, with all that time to look forward to. Hated going back to work today, but I just consider it earning $$$ for the next trip, Maryland to visit my son and daughter-in-law in June, and Universal in September for my big six-oh!
Enjoying all your beautiful photos. 🍷

:welcome: AuroraluvsPhillip……..lovely to see you here again......

Bermuda sounds so beautiful......if I ever I venture that way, Bermuda is one of the places I`d love to see.....it looks stunning!!! I can imagine you being very relaxed after such a trip....

Yes, the beginning of a trip is the best!!!

September visitor too :thumbsup2...….well if you wish, pop along to this thread below......there`s a load of posters that will be in Universal in September so we have a thread to put your dates in if you wish.......it`s good to see who`s going to be there around the same time...…..

https://www.disboards.com/threads/september-2019-roll-call.3742912/
But, glad to see you here and thanks for the lovely compliment......always appreciated...….:wave2:

Cilantro tastes like soap to Tom and I......a certain % of the population tastes soap apparently...….never have got the taste for it.....and green beans...…🤢 or any kind of bean for that matter!!! I do love courgettes though (zucchini)

Yes, I think we earned that red wine.....it was gorgeous......some more food will be here soon...…..glad to see you!!!

There's a very very fine line between just enough cilantro and bubble bath. In most dishes with cilantro (even Mexican or Caribbean) I prefer Thai basil.

THURSDAY MAY 9TH

Image result for michael myers when he hears how much his wife has spent shopping meme

So, once again we slept amazingly well...….those beds are so comfortable, and although the pillows are soft for Tom, for me they are perfect......and on our bed at home we have loads of decorative throw pillows too.........I do love them on the bed, and of course are purely for decoration...…..and after 30 years together it`s probably one thing Tom has never understood about me.....lol.....

Related image

He does give me a mysterious look every time I organise them...….thank goodness he loves me!!!!

But, here, we have one decorative throw and the rest are functional.....but we did sleep through the whole night and I think it was managing to stay up so late that helped. Our very first trip here in 2007 we all conked out at 8.30pm....and were wide awake from around 4am...knocked us for 6 for days...….but now, after many trips, we think we have it mastered....so we should have by now!!!

We very slowly came to life around 6.30....Tom I do believe would happily have gone back to sleep.....but, I was up and announcing how lovely the sunrise was going to be....it was still kind of dark......and then I watched the sunrise over RP and it was stunning...….then headed back through to the bedroom to see Tom had indeed fallen back over.....he does love sleep!!! But, not for me...…..into the shower and used the products available this morning till we went shopping......we would buy my Aussie shampoo products and get some of our own shower gel......

It is the best feeling in the world waking up in such a beautiful place knowing the trip stretches out in front of us.....

Tom knowing he didn't really have any alternative, was now up and rather reluctantly showering, and once he was showered he was much more enthused than half an hour ago...…..

I tried to connect to Kyle with Facetime but he was out, so I left a message saying we`d catch up later...….meanwhile Tom had headed down to the grab and go to get some coffee and pastries for breakfast.....and we sat at the large table and enjoyed them immensely and the coffee is lovely!!!

i-gCg6HsS-X2.jpg

Our first day is always relaxing and very laid back......we don't feel the need to go rushing to the parks, much as we love them.....but some lunch, some shopping and some chill time is ideal for us......and having such a beautiful suite means we can spread out a little here.....it is a joy to spend time in it...….

We head out and walk down to get the car, but first we get a safety deposit box for all the important stuff we worry about......takes a few moments and then we get in the car and head off to ABC Wines to buy a gift and a few bits and pieces....we do like this store a lot......we go to the one in LBV so it`s around 10-15 minute drive away, and we go the back road so we don't have traffic to contend with......

Funny thing is, today feels like a Friday as we usually travel on a Thursday, so my antennae is all over the place today trying to remember it is actually Thursday.....and I confused so many people saying it was Friday......oops!!!!

The staff in here are very helpful and friendly, but today there was one guy who was a little condescending when I asked about a wine...….big mistake!!! But, we dealt with the other member of staff we sort of recognise from previous visits.....he makes a joke at two bottles we buy and tell him it`s a gift for someone.....the grumpy guy makes another comment he thinks is funny and it isn't and I just look at him...…..

Image result for the look you give that guy gif

The store is lovely and has almost everything you could imagine wanting or needing with drinks and accessories of all kinds.....

i-Ts8jJHj-X2.jpg

i-8gJxNhc-X2.jpg

I need one of these for my home!!!!!

i-WmxBbQ2-X2.jpg

i-M7pX2Hx-X2.jpg

We finish up in here and head to Publix on Sand Lake Road for a few things......this store is nice and sells some lovely products, but it has such a dull décor......they need to change their lighting.....but it`s a decent store.

Head back home and our lovely housekeeper has already been......we`ve always been lucky and our rooms are done early which suits us as we are usually out early and come back anytime from lunchtime onwards.....and Kymara has been our lady before and as soon as we come back in I realise she`s still here when I see the bathroom and a little note she had left for us...…...

i-dNHfdWZ-X2.jpg

i-wHq4G7N-X2.jpg

We put our stuff away and begin to think about what we are going to do about lunch...….our tummies are never far from our thoughts!

The phone rings and it`s our friend who is in his office in Sapphire right now.....wooohooo…...so we tell him we`ll meet him in the lobby in 10 minutes.....always a joy and a pleasure to see the nicest guy on the planet...….Tom always says my vacation doesn't start till we see him!

We head down and have the biggest hugs.....and a really good catch up where he checks everything is good for us.....and of course it is perfect.....and we chat away the time.....we ask where he would go for a burger and he suggests Five Guys.....so Five Guys it is...….

He spots Mr Beiderman appearing in the lobby and he comes over to say Hi...….lots more hugs which we love and catch up with him too. We have known him a few years now and always manage to see him every visit......he is the loveliest man and very genuine in his concern for guests.....and has a good sense of humour too!

Through the conversation he asks what we are doing on Sunday.....I say we have no idea.....so he invites us to go to the Mother`s Day Brunch as his guests......we were thrilled and very touched to get such an invitation, and such a generous gift and so thoughtful......we have never actually been to a brunch in all our visits to America......so this would be extra special for us and celebrating American Mother`s Day would be lovely...….

We thanked him very much for the lovely offer and said we`d be delighted to accept his lovely offer, we chatted some more and said our goodbyes to him for now...…..he had said we could go to either Sapphire or RPR brunch so we asked our friend and he suggested the Sapphire one as it was so lovely and bright with the huge windows in Amatista…….sold!!! We`d do that one...….how kind......

We would also have a Cabana for the day....another amazingly kind gesture from our friend and one we were so happy to accept, it sounded an amazing day....Cabana, Pool time and Mother`s Day Brunch...….the kindness and thoughtfulness of this guy is overwhelming at times. He truly is the most amazing man!!! Tom always jokes he knows he`s in second place after him......lol.....we said our thanks again for everything and we set off for lunch with Five Guys being our destination.

Stepping out into that midday heat is the best feeling!!!! We have the biggest smiles on our faces as we get in the car and set off the short distance to Sand Lake/Turkey Lake where the nearest Five Guys is.....although we were heading to The Florida Mall after.....we should have just gone straight there, but this was one was close by and our tummies were rumbling...….

10 minutes and we were there...….

The guy behind the counter was quick to cotton on we weren't regulars.....we were lost looking at the menu...….but he was so nice and patient as we studied our options...…..

i-532q3Gr-X2.jpg

i-Lvwx5Cj-X2.jpg

We eventually opted for a vanilla and strawberry milkshake and we both got a double patty with various toppings each......I had jalapeno and lettuce with a BBQ sauce and Tom got the works......lol......and on advisement we only got one fries as he assured us there was plenty for two.....he was right!

i-KbHw6Xj-X2.jpg

i-SmGwbZB-X2.jpg

i-LZhZwMj-X2.jpg

We did enjoy our lunch...….I liked the burgers and milk shake was good, but not great...….but we would go back.....

We then headed off to the Florida Mall...…..we hadn't been here in a while and to be honest we don't really care for it very much....but we would give it a try...…..

It was busy as always and we did forget how good the new updated food court is.....next time we would eat here I think...….we do enjoy Mall food courts......

But, we had a good old wander round the Mall and it has improved from many years ago...…..we did like the Christmas store, it`s full of pretty things and very tempting to purchase a few items.....

i-DrRsTV5-X2.jpg

i-SxvQpkD-XL.jpg

I was very restrained......well, sort of......I didn't go crazy, but did purchase a few items......

We stopped off for a couple of bottles of water and sat watching the world go past for twenty minutes or so.....you really do see all sorts of people around and every nationality imaginable...

One store we do like to visit is the Tesla store...not really a store of course, but interesting...….they`re nice to see, but wouldn't have one.....I hate the idea of all electric cars...….give me a good old fashioned gas guzzling high powered engine.....not a "politically correct" thing to say nowadays but heyho…...

i-2RnmrxF-X2.jpg

i-wHvwB2F-X2.jpg

We wandered round the mall for a couple of hours and eventually even I got bored......It was getting busier so time for us to leave......

I drove back and boy did I love this car!!!! Darn those speed limits....

Related image

Yep......I do love a fast car.....but of course safe driving is so important too 😇 ...….Tom and I both do advanced driving and love it, haven't been in a while so may do that over the summer...….we used to enjoy rallying many moons ago so driving and cars have always been our hobby in a way...…..and I do get us back home safely and comfortably.....lol...….and no gripping of the dashboard from Tom today!!!!

The valet guys welcome us back and again a few of the younger guys remember us from March which is nice.....they are a great bunch of guys out there and fit as heck!!!! Although our car is kept on the front ramp so they don't need to run to the valet garage to get ours...

We head inside and Tom snaps some pics while I go ask concierge if our friend had left something for us......she asked for ID which of course is fine as she doesn't know us from a speck of dust...….we don't have any on us, but I point to one of the girls on the front desk who knows us...so she goes down to ask and the girl tells us her yep, they`re good.....as it turns out it wasn't there so we thank her for looking and head off to the room...….

i-zbt8sxx-X2.jpg

i-N5FvwQx-X2.jpg

The first thing I check is the ipad for Facetime, Kyle had left a message saying he wasn't going to be able to chat as he had a headache and was having an early night.....he planned to be up early tomorrow morning as he had plans, so we could chat then...….I hated thinking of him with headaches, but if he was sleeping, best thing for him...….we would chat tomorrow...…

Then I realised we had no email......this was a disaster......I keep in touch with several people here through email as we never have a phone....and I was supposed to be emailing my friend who was here at the same time to meet up at some point.....I didn't have her number either....I was gutted at this...….maybe next few days it would sort itself out.....

We had just finished unpacking our many purchases and put some of them away in the suitcases when our friend calls our room again and says he`ll meet us in the lobby as he`s back over here from RP so we pop down and also get to see Phil who is one of the food and beverage managers and all round nice guy....good to catch up with him too.......they have the best people here.....

We again thank our friend and have a chat before setting off again....although selfishly we could talk to him all day!!!

We walk over through the ballroom and convention area to RP...….
It takes 10 minutes to get there and the inside walk is lovely when it`s so hot outside......it`s not too busy today...….

In the lounge we see some very familiar faces to us.....and it is so lovely to be able to see them again......this feels like home.

Tom hands over the chocolate and is very popular with that.....lol.....we do bring over a fair amount and it always goes down well...….and the bag disappears through the back and we can hear them enjoy a little of it...….can`t beat British chocolate.....

We sat for a couple of hours and caught up with everyone and found out one is leaving who will be a big loss to the lounge.....that's the problem with hospitality....people move on all the time......and we always reminisce how many changes we have seen over the years in the lounge......so many faces who have come and gone again. But this young lady will be a huge success at what she is leaving to do...….we`ll miss her though......

Eventually we head downstairs to get a car over to the Ale House...…..and we stop to admire the view over the bridge.....always so pretty.....

i-NzcN7jM-X2.jpg

The ODC car gets us to Kirkman in a few minutes....and we go in and see there are seats at the bar tonight.....some nights it`s just too busy and we have a booth.....but we do like the bar....it`s incredibly social and you get chatting to all sorts of folks some nights....

As we are not driving tonight, we order our first pitcher of red sangria...I say first as we did have two pitchers tonight ::yes::......but it`s not overly strong....and certainly not like my home made sangria.....that is strong!!!

i-ZKmm2RJ-X2.jpg

The family who were sitting beside us, got chatting and for the first time this trip the adult son asked if I was from Australia...…...now, this happened a few times over our stay......he said it was the way I had said Sangria......lol.....they were nice and we chatted till their table was ready.....they were very interesting too!! Lived out in the middle of nowhere and lived a slightly different lifestyle...….

And of course the now obligatory narcissistic pose...…..

i-ZZ43ngq-X2.jpg

Our waitress was incredibly busy.....she apologised for the delay in taking our order...we told her we were in no rush whatsoever and to take her time......we were quite happy to sit and sip on our sangria...…..the guy on the other side of Tom got chatting about sport......now, we aren't sporty people at all.....but Tom can hold a conversation about most sports......I haven't a clue unless it has four wheels and an engine!!!! So I people watched while Tom chatted to a really nice guy…...

But, we did order.....after much discussion we opted to share the fried pot stickers which we do enjoy...it comes with a sweet chilli sauce and they are lovely...….steamed we didn't enjoy at all, but fried are nicer....

i-SRw8gqX-X2.jpg

They were delicious...…..and they have an equal amount so no trying to decide who gets the extra one...…..

For our entrees Tom had looked many times at the Osso Bucco......a slow cooked pork shank with mash, gravy and some veg......he had always wanted to try it and said tonight, yep, I`ll try it...…..

i-G8wNNqR-X2.jpg

I don't usually order ribs on my own, I usually have a few of Tom`s when he orders a full rack, but tonight I felt like them for a change...….

i-B67MPhS-X2.jpg

Oh my goodness!!!! They were both gorgeous...…..

Ribs were divine and completely slid off the bone with no effort.....and Tom`s osso bucco was beautiful...….the pork was like big chunks of pulled pork and the gravy was very nice......very like the gravy we have in the UK.

As is usual we had no room for dessert...…..I don't think we have ever managed a dessert here......we have been many, many times and never had the room.

They called us a cab and it was here in 5 minutes, and a few minutes later we were home......usually we`d go into Strong Water for one, but we were whooped all of a sudden...….I think our late night and early rise had caught up with us...…..so it was a relatively early night, although it was almost 11pm now.....

Turndown had been in, the drapes were all closed and water in room was put straight in fridge......first thing I did was open both sets in the sitting area....I love seeing all the lights opposite us, and you can see Dr Doom and Hulk when you look the other way...…..it`s quite the view...…

We leave the bedroom ones fully closed as we have no plans to rush out of bed tomorrow.....of course that could change once I was awake....but for now, sleep beckoned us both and we yawned our way into bed once again...….this was becoming a habit...….

A little park time was planned tomorrow...…..

Last edited:
There's a very very fine line between just enough cilantro and bubble bath. In most dishes with cilantro (even Mexican or Caribbean) I prefer Thai basil.

I love Basil of any kind!!! We grow some lemon basil here....sounds different, but it`s beautiful..….Thai Basil I`ve enjoyed a couple of times, but can`t seem to buy it over here.....only dried.....not the same!

Yep......cilantro is horrible stuff........

Yes. I am in love with the bathroom tile in Sapphire Falls. It is so pretty. I want it for my bathroom.

It is beautiful...….sometimes the pictures make it look very yellow, but it`s not.....it`s very bright and so warm at the same time.....

Yep, I`d be happy to have that in my home........ :thumbsup2

Have to agree that the shakes at Five Guys is nothing like their burgers.

We go to a Five Guys that is less than 5 minute from our house
Right next to it is a Jersey Mike sub eatery

Miller Ale House near where I am is the same as the one in Orlando
I avoid going there on Tuesday as it’s the kids eat free night

I love the portions of your trip reports when you talk “food”...

I adore you so much! I am of the same accord and glad you got to drive your fast car!!

Lol.....another kindred spirit!!!

We love fast cars with huge amounts of power........none of these namby pamby toytown cars.........not a popular opinion but...........blah to those........ ::yes:: :thumbsup2

Yes, it was fun to drive.....an another race for the key fob in the mornings we were out driving.......lol......I can move fast when I need to!!!

Have to agree that the shakes at Five Guys is nothing like their burgers.

We go to a Five Guys that is less than 5 minute from our house
Right next to it is a Jersey Mike sub eatery

Miller Ale House near where I am is the same as the one in Orlando
I avoid going there on Tuesday as it’s the kids eat free night

I love the portions of your trip reports when you talk “food”...

Yes, wouldn’t have the shake again, but burger was good!

Oh gosh yes, I’d avoid kids eat free nights usually, and we did go on our last night which was a Tuesday......not one kid in the place apart from a large group who were celebrating a birthday.......thankfully!

Oh I can talk at length about food.......lol.......I usually do!!

That had to be frustrating when Kyle’s unexpected time off didn’t mesh!

Yet another score on a fine machine, congrats!

W
I think it will be lovely yep, but, it’ll be tough knowing it’ll be the last time they’ll probably see each other as my aunt can’t travel to the UK. But she’s such fun, I adore my aunt too.......we are so alike it’s scary!!!

I do appreciate how lucky we are that my mum is so healthy at 84......just wish she had a better filter at times......she just says what comes into her mind, good or bad......lol.......can be tricky at times.......:duck:

Should be fun though......:thumbsup2

Sounds like just the right time period considering Mom is along. that filter does seem to ahem hide as they age doesn’t it? Lol

Oh, IDK, depends on who is doing the ‘search’ :) JK

Yes, they say it’s a small percentage but most I know avoid it...think it’s one of the reasons I rarely eat Mexican food when out. even though I inform them I don’t want to eat anything with it in it, not difficult to identify it. Shudder for those with actual food allergies if they are generally so callous

That had to be frustrating when Kyle’s unexpected time off didn’t mesh!

Yet another score on a fine machine, congrats!

W

Sounds like just the right time period considering Mom is along. that filter does seem to ahem hide as they age doesn’t it? Lol

Oh, IDK, depends on who is doing the ‘search’ :) JK

Yes, they say it’s a small percentage but most I know avoid it...think it’s one of the reasons I rarely eat Mexican food when out. even though I inform them I don’t want to eat anything with it in it, not difficult to identify it. Shudder for those with actual food allergies if they are generally so callous

Yes, I may not have volunteered for a search from this person.......lol.....

I don’t think I know anyone who actually likes what we call coriander.....bleurgh.......yes, one of the many reasons we don’t eat Mexican food.....excluding my own fajitas and we will have nachos now and again........usually with chicken though as I hate chilli......I’m odd apparently........who knew......:rolleyes1

I can’t wait to lose that filter......although some say I already have......lol.....

Me ! I Iove cilantro! LOVE IT! I even remember the first time I had it ... 2000, driving from Ontario to Orlando, stopped the first night for dinner at a Mexican restaurant and we were brought the usual complimentary chips and salsa, but this was fresh salsa, not the bottled stuff which until then was the only kind I knew. Blew my mind. LOL. So fresh and delicious. I get that it isn't for everyone as it is a strong flavour but felt I had to jump in here and give it some love. When we got home that year I started making salsa for scratch, no more jarred stuff for us. Cilantro? Yes please!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter