May 4, 2013 Fantasty PTR - Update 6/11/2012

luvslikepi

DIS Veteran
It is officially 387 days until Jason (my husband) and I depart on our Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Cruise. It took a lot of convincing, hinting and general begging to get my husband (Jason) to agree to the trip and I’m very grateful that he did. This PTR will highlight the next year as we prepare for our first Disney Cruise.

First a little about us:

I’m Sarah. I have been a Disney fan since childhood but didn’t fall in love with Disney until spending my 21st birthday at Walt Disney World. After that I was completely hooked. The following Spring I was a member of the WDW College Program (a merchandise hostess in Tomorrowland) and wrote my senior capstone for my history degree on Walt Disney’s Defense of American Culture. I am currently expecting our first child (due in August) and working on my PhD in Conflict Analysis and Resolution. I love all things Disney – the parks, the classic cartoons, the new films and I am definitely looking forward to becoming a member of the Castaway Club. My husband’s first Disney trip ever was in February 2011 and I think he would have enjoyed it more had he not been suffering from a back injury due to repeated deployments (thus carrying heavy, heavy, heavy packs) to the Middle East. His favorite park was Animal Kingdom….I love them all but I have a very special place in my heart for Disneyland as it’s the original.

We will be traveling on the newest Disney Ship – Fantasy on May 4, 2013.

I hope you’ll join us in our adventures over the next year.

PTR Links
The Planning and Further Intros
Hotel Reservations and Life Update
Mailing from DCL (received May 7, 2012)
Brief Update/Military Life Drama

Subscribing! We will be on this cruise with you, we booked on board the Wonder last week. :)

For weeks I'd been watching the countdown of the Fantasy, its voyage from Europe to New York and south to Port Canaveral. I wanted to cruise on this ship so badly I could taste it. I was constantly sending links to my mom and my husband for videos and pictures of Fantasy. I would take time going to the DCL website trying out different cruise trip itineraries, getting to the point where you have to pay the deposit and stopping and dreaming of the time I could actually do that.

Finally, I think I wore Jason down enough and he said..."Book it." We have not had what I call a "real" vacation...ever. We'd gone to Vegas for our honeymoon and traveled each summer to visit his family in southern Arizona, we'd even gone to Disney World, but we never really got to seriously relax and just be with each other on these trips. They were always go, go, go. Jason loves the beach and water sports. I love cruising, history and shopping (as well as some outdoor activities).

I figured a cruise would be a good way for us to get our relaxation and some fun in after our baby is born. I'm due on August 4th and grandma is elated that she's getting a grandbaby, finally. She was willing to take our little bundle of joy during our vacation. We're still waiting to find out baby's sex - last time the umbilical cord was in the way - we're hoping Friday.

I decided on the Eastern Caribbean intinerary because of all the islands DCL visits the only one I haven't been to is St. Maarten (and I speak French and want an excuse to try and have a conversation with someone else who speaks it fluently). I've been to Saint Thomas which I enjoyed but I'm not a high end shopper, I prefer locally made items, so the downtown Charlotte Amelie shopping was not that enjoyable. Castaway Cay is a location we're both planning on spending ample time sunning, snorkeling and napping.

We will head out the day before the cruise as we will have to fly cross country. I haven't told my husband yet but I've been saving up to purchase first-class tickets as a special treat. Neither of us has ever flown first class - in fact most of his flights have been in the cargo hold with hundreds of other soldiers packed in. I plan on staying at the Hyatt at MCO the night before and we will use the Disney Cruise Line Transportation to the port. We are hoping to be able to find some liquor to purchase at the airport to take onboard to save some money on drinks. My husband is a true pirate and LOVES his Captain Morgan. I love the rum too but I'm also a big wine-o.

My husband has also told me I am not to have a timeline of anything we do on ship days. Which I promised - sort of - to follow since there are some things we want to do that will need to be scheduled (he wants a massage, I want to eat dinner at Palo). When I took him to Disney World I made him this little packet of travel information about our hotel, each of the parks, where we were going to eat, sample menus, must do rides, etc. I think it overwhelmed him but I love that kind of thing. I do it all the time for friends and family going to the parks without me....they request it because I'm such a Disney-freak.

So massages and Palo are really all I have planned for the ships. Hubby gets to pick the shore excursion in Saint Thomas because I've already been there, I get to pick the shore excursion in Saint Maarten and Castaway Cay is our do whatever we please day.

I'd love to hear suggestions as to what shore excursions we should try - we both love snorkeling and are planning on getting scuba certifications this winter, we also both love to hike. This will likely be the last update for awhile unless anything significant comes up.

Thanks too all that sub and I hope you enjoy!

Joining in! Congratulations on your pregnancy and I look forward to reading all about your trip :goodvibes My DH and I will be sailing the Fantasy as well, just a few months before you, and I am very excited!

Congratulations on finding out you are having a girl! You picked a really pretty name too :)
Thanks for all the congrats on baby, everyone. :) Hubs and I had a hard time picking that name out. I really wanted Eleanor Madelaine (hubs said it was too old fashion.) His family has a tradition where boy's names are always "Michael" so since my middle name is Rose we went with that and we both loved the name Lillian too. I can't complain. Just don't tell him that Walt Disney's wife was named Lilly (and that Johnny Depp's daughter is Lilly Rose - then he might try to change it.)

I have some updates but I am going to wait until Saturday to post so stay tuned.

I've been debating whether or not to stay on property the night before the cruise or stay at the Hyatt at the airport. Since we are taking DCL transport directly from the airport I've opted for the Hyatt.

Booked the room just now. A king-sized, atrium view for $97 :thumbsup2 plus taxes (of course) with the government rate. There are a few perks to having an active duty spouse.

In other news though there several major things going on. First, my husband is currently a K9 handler - actually kennel master and we are getting ready to adopt the dog he had in Iraq with him. This dog is a real hero folks, he found several IED's that would have killed large numbers of troops out on missions. This dog deserves to live the rest of his days lounging on our couch. Just waiting for Lackland to come through with the release. But that adds him to our pack of 2 other dogs. We love dogs but with a baby on the way I'm a bit thrown by how much of a handful this is going to be. We also have my dog a 12 year old and very cranky old lady shih-tzu and a 3 year old golden retriever. Should be entertaining.

In other news my husband will either be deploying (AGAIN!! 7 times to the Middle East now) or PCSing to another base in August/September...same time I'm due. Joy. I know tons of women have done it before but sheesh..really? At least he'll be home for our cruise if he does deploy again but missing out on his daughters first few months. So keep your fingers crossed that he get's the job transfer and PCS. I need all the good vibes I can get on this one.

This came in the mail yesterday.

7159518834_033ab4e23d.jpg

7159518990_27c74c6b9a.jpg

7159519128_e09bba6c97_z.jpg

7159519208_feaa79ca9e_c.jpg

:yay: <-- That's literally what I do whenever I get something from Disney in the mail...even if it's advertisements and Disney Visa applications.

That's so funny you posted the Planning Guide. Our trip is scheduled for June 1, 2013, so we just got that in the mail. My reaction was the same -- :yay:. Later that day I read on the board that someone received the official travel documents (they were sailing very soon) and talked about how excited they were. All I could think about was how excited I'll be when it's my turn since I was over-the-moon for the little blue planning guide.

Congrats on the baby. Her name is absolutely beautiful!

That's so funny you posted the Planning Guide. Our trip is scheduled for June 1, 2013, so we just got that in the mail. My reaction was the same -- :yay:. Later that day I read on the board that someone received the official travel documents (they were sailing very soon) and talked about how excited they were. All I could think about was how excited I'll be when it's my turn since I was over-the-moon for the little blue planning guide.

Congrats on the baby. Her name is absolutely beautiful!

I couldn't contain myself. Drove my husband nuts last night until he actually sat down and looked at it...

Thank you. We took forever to pick that name out but we've fallen in love with it.

Also on this sailing so I'm definitely subbing :thumbsup2

We haven't got our planning documents yet! Jealous ;)

My husband and I will be there too!!!:banana::banana: I, too am very excited and am constantly mentioning things to my husband that we have to remember to do i.e. call credit card company and let them know we will be out of country, get waterproof camera for snorkeling (we are snorkle virgins), etc. I should probably make a list! I will say a prayer that your husband remains in the states and will hope to meet you both on the ship. How exciting about your child...Our baby (first) is turning nineteen in June and although I tease my kids that we would be rich if we had remained childless....I wouldn't trade parenthood for the world!!! Good luck and I hope to hear more soon.....PS: I enjoy the baby scale...last time I had seen a post from you the baby was only an eggplant!!!

Definitely subbing! We'll be on this cruise too! :cool1:

congrats.gif
on your beautiful Lillian Rose! You've picked a beautiful name!

Also, sending lots of pixiedust: pixie dust your way -- hope your DH gets the transfer you're hoping for!

Thanks everyone. I haven't had many updates as of late on the cruise. But we did get to adopt Arek - my husbands K9 who retired just in time for Memorial Day. He's living the good life now taking up all the space on our couch.

Lilly is definitely getting big and doing somersaults to remind me that she's there. Not too much longer (thank goodness). I'm ready to be able to sleep on my stomach again.

Jason's passport finally arrived. He was more excited then I thought he would be but we've had some serious upsets thanks to military life.

First, he was supposed to deploy in September/October.

Then there was the possibility that he was going to get orders to Texas, which doesn't look like it's going to happen now.

Well, now he was just told that he's going to NCO academy August 7. Ummmm...I'm due August 4. Really? Really? You're going to send him to NCO Academy 3 days after my due date and then still have him deploy in September/October which means he'll get no time with his new daughter at all until he get's back in April 2013. Good job, USAF. You keep him home for over a year and a half after sending him overseas for 7 months every year (finally) and now when he's got a baby due you're going to send him out again. Best timing ever. :scared:

I know plenty of women have done it before and will do it again but seriously...best timing ever, right?

I better get my vacation after all this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter