May 2019.... what week would be best?

crybrry3

CoryB
I am considering the 12-17th or the 19-24. Is there any reason one would be better than the other? Groups, events, weather?

When it comes to May, earlier is better. As the month goes on, crowds will get heavier and the weather will get hotter.

Honestly though, I would take any week in May over any other week in any other month. I think it's the absolute best month to visit.

I went this year the 15-19th, so the Tuesday through Saturday following Mother's day and it was great. Lines were fast moving, crowd was decent-comparable to when we go in late August, and the weather was great except for a couple random rain showers and a terrible, long, torrential thunderstorm on our last day.

May is our favorite time of year to visit Disney and we go anytime within the first three weeks and are always gone by Memorial Day when the crowds pick up a lot.

We were also there from Mother's Day May 13 to the following Sunday, May 20 and the weather was uncharacteristically wet. There were major storms moving through and it was way more rainy than we were used to at that time of year. This was the first trip where we had to wear ponchos nearly every day that week. Usually there isn't that much rain and it is very warm and sunny. That said, we're already planning our trip for next May.

We're also going back this September, which is our second favorite time to go. But Fall has changed over the years and seems to be busier than it used to be. May is always our first choice.

the weather was uncharacteristically wet. There were major storms moving through and it was way more rainy than we were used to at that time of year
That storm that came through Saturday really was something else, wasn't it? My friend and I got stuck trying to make our way from old Fantasyland to the exit because people basically created a standing wall because the pathways were flooded. Caused us to be late getting back to Pop and missing our Magical Express bus ride and we had to uber to the airport!

That storm that came through Saturday really was something else, wasn't it? My friend and I got stuck trying to make our way from old Fantasyland to the exit because people basically created a standing wall because the pathways were flooded. Caused us to be late getting back to Pop and missing our Magical Express bus ride and we had to uber to the airport!

That whole wet week is WHY we are going in September! :umbrella: We need a do-over.

Monday morning, AK, stepping out in the morning into ankle deep water in the parking lot.
Monday night, SWAGS dessert party, watched the show in the rain.
Tuesday evening, rained so hard we left AK before ROL.
Wednesday evening was clear and beautiful, we watched HEA fireworks from the Poly at Ohana.
Thursday was clear in MK until the afternoon, then we went back to AK for Pandora at night and the ROL show.
Friday Epcot in the AM was fine, but MK at night for our HEA dessert party was a total wash! It rained so hard we couldn't see the castle show because of the mist mixed with the smoke. The water was ankle deep walking down Main St. to the ferry. My flip flop floated off my foot! I grabbed it and continued on. It was so crazy!
Saturday was Epcot in the AM and then we went back later and it was another total wash. We left before Illuminations and it looked like a lot of people did too.

The whole trip is burned into my memory because we never experienced rain like that on a trip! LOL! We made the best of it and still had a great time. But I still want a do-over! :thumbsup2

That whole wet week is WHY we are going in September! :umbrella: We need a do-over.

Monday morning, AK, stepping out in the morning into ankle deep water in the parking lot.
Monday night, SWAGS dessert party, watched the show in the rain.
Tuesday evening, rained so hard we left AK before ROL.
Wednesday evening was clear and beautiful, we watched HEA fireworks from the Poly at Ohana.
Thursday was clear in MK until the afternoon, then we went back to AK for Pandora at night and the ROL show.
Friday Epcot in the AM was fine, but MK at night for our HEA dessert party was a total wash! It rained so hard we couldn't see the castle show because of the mist mixed with the smoke. The water was ankle deep walking down Main St. to the ferry. My flip flop floated off my foot! I grabbed it and continued on. It was so crazy!
Saturday was Epcot in the AM and then we went back later and it was another total wash. We left before Illuminations and it looked like a lot of people did too.

The whole trip is burned into my memory because we never experienced rain like that on a trip! LOL! We made the best of it and still had a great time. But I still want a do-over! :thumbsup2
If you don't mind me asking, if the rain ruied your trip, why did you pick the rainiest (and most hurricaine prone) month of the year for your do-over?

I’ve really enjoyed past trips in May, right after colleges let out (May 5-ish). I’m planning on going again May 4-11 with my bf.

We went in March this year, and it was busier than I had anticipated. Hopefully May will be better on that front. Love the weather and Flower and Garden!

Another vote for the earlier week... most schools are still in session so the crowds won't be as high as late May, when schools in the South get out.

Though I've gone the first week of May three times now -- and all 3 of those trips the weather was unseasonably HOT. I went with my late mom in 2006 and it was crazy hot and humid for May. I went with my husband when I was 6 months pregnant -- for his birthday/our "babymoon" -- and the weather was in the 90s. I ended up in L&D with heat stroke. (Too much heat/humidity for a pregnant woman from NJ.) Our third trip in 2015 was hotter than average for early May, but not like the prior 2 trips. It was actually really nice and crowds were on the low-moderate side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter