• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 2, 2014 - A WONDERous trip through the Locks WBPC

I know that some people on here have done the 2013 Westbound Panama Canal crossing. How did they handle the pins? Did they use the wristband method or did they release a pin a day?

Corinna

Corinna I can't remember as I don't collect them. But I think there were still some problems. Maybe Alan will remember.

Pins were done by wristbands and there was no overnight line fortunately. A line did form early AM on sea day one. They had all pins left over after the wristbands expired.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Our DD will be 4 at the time of cruising! Would love to hear what other fams with younger kids plan to do for shore excursions etc!

Our little grom will be 2 at time of sailing. We are planning to do the tour at Cozumel that includes the beach and the "best of Cartagena" We've only booked 2 tours as I don't want to commit to too much since he's young. In Cabo we've been there before so we just plan to walk around and try to find some yummy tacos that we had there last time. I hear Key West is very walkable as well...that just leaves PV, which I figure if we feel we need a tour we can try for one last minute, but I won't be crushed if we can't, this is really more of a relaxation trip than a sight seeing one for us :)

Pins were done by wristbands and there was no overnight line fortunately. A line did form early AM on sea day one. They had all pins left over after the wristbands expired.

Thanks. That sounds encouraging. I may give the line a pass and hope for the best.

Corinna

Thanks. That sounds encouraging. I may give the line a pass and hope for the best.

Corinna

I remember on the first Alaskan cruise, they also did the wristband bit. I had wandered by and caught the last five minutes of the wristband handout and the pin buying started 30 minutes later. I got a wristband and just hung out in the store for 30 minutes (we were going to anyway). And got first shot at all the pins, I was a nice lazy morning that paid off with being in the right place at the right time. We even helped out the store clerks by figuring out what a set of the all pins were going to cost (they hadn't prepared for that answer, yet. :upsidedow )

Oh my. You guys do and talk so much my head is spinning. I don't think I can keep up. Lol. If I don't follow much that everyone does it's cause I am spinning and we have a baby so getting daycare to aline with the tastings and so forth is hard. You guys are kicking tail at this! :)

Our DD will be 4 at the time of cruising! Would love to hear what other fams with younger kids plan to do for shore excursions etc!

My boys are 3 and almost 6.

Key West -- Walking around on our own. Hope to get to the most southern point for a picture.

Cozumel -- Booked a non-DCL excursion. We are doing a private custom Jeep tour. Just my family and a guide/driver. We let them know the things we are interested in seeing and doing. Nice to not have to be in a huge group. If we are having fun we can stay longer in one spot.

Cartagena -- I spent a ton of time researching. Decided that doing a DCL tour would provide piece of mind for safety. We are doing the Horse Carriage Ride. I did a ton of reading and I think the kids will really like it.

Puerto Vallarta -- We are doing the pirate ship. I really wanted to book non-DCL because it was a ton cheaper but when I called I was told they have a contract and so I had to book w/ DCL. Check out this video. http://pirateshipvallarta.com/pirate-ship-day-show.html My boys are going to love this. The ship looks super cool.

Cabo -- Not completely sure. We may take water taxi out to the Arch. Then Medano Beach.

Our DD is 3 and DS will be 1 at sailing. No excursions for us. Not enough funds. But we will love to have playmates at the pool if I can drag her out of the kids club.

Oh my. You guys do and talk so much my head is spinning. I don't think I can keep up. Lol. If I don't follow much that everyone does it's cause I am spinning and we have a baby so getting daycare to aline with the tastings and so forth is hard. You guys are kicking tail at this! :)

Just do what you can....Welcome to the chat!

Bobbi:goodvibes

Thanks. That sounds encouraging. I may give the line a pass and hope for the best. Corinna
That's what I did last year. Every time I had to go to the restroom from Wavebands I'd just go upstairs and see if there was a line. I think it will be fine. Same thing happened on the first Hawaii, they had all pins after the wristbands expired.

I remember on the first Alaskan cruise, they also did the wristband bit. I had wandered by and caught the last five minutes of the wristband handout and the pin buying started 30 minutes later. I got a wristband and just hung out in the store for 30 minutes (we were going to anyway). And got first shot at all the pins, I was a nice lazy morning that paid off with being in the right place at the right time. We even helped out the store clerks by figuring out what a set of the all pins were going to cost (they hadn't prepared for that answer, yet. :upsidedow )

That was a stroke of luck. I would not pass up a chance like this either.

That's what I did last year. Every time I had to go to the restroom from Wavebands I'd just go upstairs and see if there was a line. I think it will be fine. Same thing happened on the first Hawaii, they had all pins after the wristbands expired.

I sort of benefited from this. I had actually got in line to get the wristband on that cruise and waited about an hour. I got one of the last wrist bands. When I got my pins, there was a lady in the store who had missed out on the wrist bands and was trying to find out when they went on general release. I only wanted one set so I asked the cast member who assisted me if I could let the lady buy the second set that I was allowed to get. They said that was fine and she was very happy. That however meant that I was not able to get a couple of pins for our friends in LA as I had planned. I had no problem getting those pins once they went onto open sale though.

Corinna

Our little grom will be 2 at time of sailing. We are planning to do the tour at Cozumel that includes the beach and the "best of Cartagena" We've only booked 2 tours as I don't want to commit to too much since he's young. In Cabo we've been there before so we just plan to walk around and try to find some yummy tacos that we had there last time. I hear Key West is very walkable as well...that just leaves PV, which I figure if we feel we need a tour we can try for one last minute, but I won't be crushed if we can't, this is really more of a relaxation trip than a sight seeing one for us :)

Glad to hear there is another one under 3 on the boat, we have been working on potty training my 2.5 daughter to see if we can get her into the Club, but glad to know that she might have a friend her own age.

You should check out the facebook page if you haven't already. There is a doc where people put what excursions they are doing. Key West we are going to walk it & maybe find a beach (been there, done that), Cozumel hubby & I are doing the America's Cup sailing (kids w/ grandparents doing ruins & beach tour), Cartenega horse carriage city tour (along with I think half the ship), PV hubby and I foodie walking tour (non DCL tour) (kids w/ grandparents doing one of the beach resorts), Cabo going to do the glass bottom boat tour (non DCL tour) and find a beach. Looking forward to much relaxing in between. I think there will be a kids meet up first day at 3 at Mickey Pool.
Lots of info on the FB page if you haven't been there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/637...6926/?comment_id=864757646883612&notif_t=like

Glad to hear there is another one under 3 on the boat, we have been working on potty training my 2.5 daughter to see if we can get her into the Club, but glad to know that she might have a friend her own age.

we are doing the same. our son will be 6 weeks shy of his 3rd bday and we were told if within 2 months and potty trained they will let them in. There has been some major bribing on this, telling him he can't go on the cruise if doesn't tell us before when he needs to go. Of course at the mall today, he was like "potty, potty" and I was like he just wanted to go in there but didn't have to go (not sure what that fascination is all about) and I was in a rush so I said no. Two minutes later, #2 in the diaper...bad mom :sad:

we are doing the same. our son will be 6 weeks shy of his 3rd bday and we were told if within 2 months and potty trained they will let them in. There has been some major bribing on this, telling him he can't go on the cruise if doesn't tell us before when he needs to go. Of course at the mall today, he was like "potty, potty" and I was like he just wanted to go in there but didn't have to go (not sure what that fascination is all about) and I was in a rush so I said no. Two minutes later, #2 in the diaper...bad mom :sad:

At least he asked to go! I keep telling my daughter she will get to go in the big kids club if she goes, but I am doubtful that it will happen. I don't want to rush her especially that she 2.5 so I am not sure that even if she is potty trained, they will let her in.

We have three girls ages 2.5-5, we are doing the glass bottom boat in Key West , in Cartagena we decided to do the Rosario Island tour, the pirate ship in Puerto Vallarta , one of the ruins tour in Cozumel for my husband :-). We couldn't get into the excursion we wanted for Cabo (beach and cruise tour) so we might just play it by ear and find a nice beach to relax on for awhile.

Updated 3/12/14. Edits in Red.

1 HOUR OPEN BAR EVENT

*****EVENT SIGN-UP WILL CLOSE ON 3/28/14*****
*****PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BY 3/28/14*****
*****PLEASE READ ENTIRE DESCRIPTION*****

ORGANIZER: Melissa Lemieux / I❤MICKEY

DATE AND LOCATION: TBD. (Tentatively May 10 at either 2:00 PM or 4:00 PM).Will be assigned by DCL on a Sea Day. Will not conflict with scheduled mixology, tastings or dinner times. Date and time will be finalized once payment is received.

COST: $13.25 including gratuity. $10.75 for non-alcoholic drinker (soda/juices). Free for non-drinkers.

SIGN-UP: Send private message to I❤MICKEY. Please include your name, the number of drinkers, and the number of non-drinkers. Do not send private message on disboard if you already signed up on Facebook.

PAYMENT: Pre-payment is necessary. Unfortunately, DCL will not charge on board accounts. DCL requires that the organizer collects the payment and then pays DCL via credit card. There are two options for paying.
  • Mail a check. Send me a private message and I will provide the mailing address.
  • Submit your payment via PayPal at dcleventpay@gmail.com. If paying by PayPal please be sure to mark as sending money to family or friends and include your name in the message for tracking purposes. To (email or mobile phone)
    This is information the PayPal send money page asked for. Mark "I'm sending money to family or friends". AmountAmount Amount:Currency: What are you sending money for?
    • I'm paying for goods or services
    • I'm sending money to family or friends
Please make payment by March 28, 2014.

PAYMENT TRACKING: I will send you a private message once payment is received.

MINIMUM GUESTS: We are required to have a minimum of 25 participants. If we do not meet this requirement I will return all checks received. Based on the posts we should have enough participants. :)

BAR PACKAGE OVERVIEW: The following is the information from the flyer outlining the premium bar package.
Premium Bar: $13.25 (per person ~ 25 guest minimum) Vodka: Absolut, Smirnoff ~ Rum: Bacardi, Captain Morgan, Parrot Bay ~ Gin: Beefeater, Tangueray ~ Whiskey/Bourbon: Canadian Club,Seagrams VO, Jack Daniel ~ Tequila: Cuervo Gold ~ Cognac: Courvoisier VS, Hennessy VS ~ Wines: White/Santa Carolina Chardonnay Red/Santa Carolina Merlot & Brancott Pinot Noir; Blush/Beringer White Zinfandel ~ Beer: Budweiser, Bud Light, Corona, Heineken, Michelob Ultra, Samuel Adams, Newcastle Brown
Non-Alcoholic Beverage: $10.75 (per person / per hour ~ 25 guest minimum)
Coke, Diet Coke, Orange, Apple, Cranberry, Pineapple Juice, Evian Water

During the open bar event on our last sailing my husband and a group of gentleman were drinking Macallan Select Oak which is not listed. I only point this out to provide the expectation that the above are the alcohol options that are part of the package but that others may be available. Private message me with any questions you may have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter