• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 2, 2014 - A WONDERous trip through the Locks WBPC

Well this is good to know. I'll have to call DCL and confirm. If that is indeed the case, I probably won't take the red eye then. Thanks for letting me know! :thumbsup2
Well I hope I am wrong. Just I think the issue is the ship would not have touched a foreign port and that's why they can't embark you at Key West. Well everyone I am getting on the dream in a few hours for a friends wedding. Had a great few days here at WDW and still have 6 more nights after the cruise on the Dream.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Well I hope I am wrong. Just I think the issue is the ship would not have touched a foreign port and that's why they can't embark you at Key West. Well everyone I am getting on the dream in a few hours for a friends wedding. Had a great few days here at WDW and still have 6 more nights after the cruise on the Dream.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Sounds so fun!!! Have a great time!

Just wondering. If you go the VGT rates, does Disney tend to give the nicer cabins to repeat cruisers? We would be so afraid of getting a bad location.

Not to my knowledge, we were originally placed on deck 1 for the 2013 WBPC.

So I am starting to think about flights. The boys are not coming on this trip because they really cannot miss 2 weeks of school being in 3rd and 5th grade. Dd is in Kindergarten and I'm fine taking her out. That being said, I would like her to miss as little as possible. So I'm thinking about taking a direct red eye flight from LAX to MIA. It gets in just before 7am. I've never flown in on the same day but wondering if I want to take the gamble. How hard would it be to get to Key West if the flight didn't get in on time? :lmao: There are flights that leave around 2ish, but that puts us into MIA after 11pm and even though it will feel like 8pm to us, I'm afraid dd will be a pill. =) Or I just have her miss a 12th day and we fly out in the morning on the 1st. Decisions, decisions....

We flew in early this year, to give dds time to adjust. We planned on LAX-MIA red eye for 2014 - because I didn't want to be up 'til midnight fetching kids @ clubs on embarkation day and hoped they'd be tired after an XC flight.

This is the first time we are NOT flying in on the morning of embarkation. I used to try to have the boys miss as little school as possible, and me miss as little work as possible, but as things in my life have gotten more serious (medical issues, my parents getting older, etc.) I have just changed my priorities and I take off whenever I want. That is just me, though. I think it's fine to fly in the morning of, but obviously there is a risk.

We have never gotten burned on a flight to DCL, but we have missed connections before that have cost us an entire day. On our last trip, we didn't even get on the first plane because our connection was so delayed that we would've spent 28 hours at a layover when our entire trip was only 2 1/2 days with DH's grandma that has metastasized breast cancer. They let us rebook, but that's just an example of how things can go really wrong.

This is the first time we are NOT flying in on the morning of embarkation. I used to try to have the boys miss as little school as possible, and me miss as little work as possible, but as things in my life have gotten more serious (medical issues, my parents getting older, etc.) I have just changed my priorities and I take off whenever I want. That is just me, though. I think it's fine to fly in the morning of, but obviously there is a risk.

We have never gotten burned on a flight to DCL, but we have missed connections before that have cost us an entire day. On our last trip, we didn't even get on the first plane because our connection was so delayed that we would've spent 28 hours at a layover when our entire trip was only 2 1/2 days with DH's grandma that has metastasized breast cancer. They let us rebook, but that's just an example of how things can go really wrong.

I am glad you got consideration.

6 Months, 3 weeks, we board!:thumbsup2

Question. I found a great (direct) flight that will arrive at FLL at 10:20 AM on the day of the cruise.
Dumb idea?

Question. I found a great (direct) flight that will arrive at FLL at 10:20 AM on the day of the cruise.
Dumb idea?

I want to say yes, as any delay would could push it out to 11am arrival, plus luggage pickup, travel to port, etc.. you could make it but why stress out before the cruise..

We are flying in the night before... Using SW and tix from SFO -> FLL was only $169/pp. But then we flight out of SFO @ 8:30am and get to FLL @ 6pm.. so there was no chance of a same day flight/cruise option for us.

Dumb idea?

We have successfully done three cruises flying in the morning of. But all were direct flights and all arrived very early in the morning (before 9) so any delays or rerouting could be tolerated. At this point, though, I have changed my stance. I'd rather just relax and not try to save the money.

Well, it isn't so much a $$ saving but rather 1 less day to ask for vacation time.

But when 3 people tell you you're dead, lie down!

We'll probably fly in the day before. Thanks!

Well, it isn't so much a $$ saving but rather 1 less day to ask for vacation time. But when 3 people tell you you're dead, lie down! We'll probably fly in the day before. Thanks!
I think that is the smart thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

Dumb idea?

We're flying down the day of and arriving around 10am. I'd prefer to fly the day of - nonstop flight, of course - not so much for the cost savings, but (1) eliminating the whole stop at the hotel, special packing for the 1 nite stay, then transport between hotel and port. We prefer a simple transition from airport to port. With MIA so close to port, it should be a piece of cake. . . And (2) having to ask for an additional day off both at work and school. We're pulling our 3rd & 5th graders out of school much to the chagrin of their teachers and principals.

We flew day-of when we took Magic TA and it worked like a charm. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for us!

We're flying down the day of and arriving around 10am. I'd prefer to fly the day of - nonstop flight, of course - not so much for the cost savings, but (1) eliminating the whole stop at the hotel, special packing for the 1 nite stay, then transport between hotel and port. We prefer a simple transition from airport to port. With MIA so close to port, it should be a piece of cake. . . And (2) having to ask for an additional day off both at work and school. We're pulling our 3rd & 5th graders out of school much to the chagrin of their teachers and principals.

We flew day-of when we took Magic TA and it worked like a charm. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for us!

Are you flying into MIA at 10? I've never done the transport between FLL and MIA.
I'm not sure if DCL would have the cardio team ready if we had to wait for transportation :rotfl:

Are you flying into MIA at 10? I've never done the transport between FLL and MIA.
I'm not sure if DCL would have the cardio team ready if we had to wait for transportation :rotfl:

Yes, flying into MIA at 10ish. Like you, I'd probably need a cardio team if flying into FLL, though in earlier posts they say it's a fairly easy transport between FLL & MIA.

We're flying day of, first flight out of BOS to MIA, on AA. If that flght is delayed, there are three more n/s which arrive before 1pm. I know it's risky, but four flights offer good odds!

197 days

We're flying day of, first flight out of BOS to MIA, on AA. If that flght is delayed, there are three more n/s which arrive before 1pm. I know it's risky, but four flights offer good odds!

197 days

You East Coasters have those options.. Coming from the West Coast, flight time is a minimum of 6hrs (if there such a thing as a direct flight) and in all the waits and fly-day is a 8-12hr experience (with time changes). No way, can I even entertain the notion of flying in on embarkation day. :confused3

To all those flying in day of all my best to you. It is something I would never entertain. Working in the airline industry I can tell you that anything can happen, but if you want to gamble with multi thousand dollar vacation by saving a 100 bucks on a room for a night, I will be hoping you make it. Coming from the West I am thinking about a two night buffer just to make sure. Not trying to be mean or rude, just being a realist.

Just wanted to say Hi and Very interesting!

To all those flying in day of all my best to you. It is something I would never entertain. Working in the airline industry I can tell you that anything can happen, but if you want to gamble with multi thousand dollar vacation by saving a 100 bucks on a room for a night, I will be hoping you make it. Coming from the West I am thinking about a two night buffer just to make sure. Not trying to be mean or rude, just being a realist.

I appreciate your realism:thumbsup2

There is a flaw in my "day of" flight plan - little or no time to stop for wine & whisky to bring onboard.

Since the Wonder goes in for a short drydock in January, do we expect any improvements/refreshments for our WBPC? 10-14 days isn't enough time to do much?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter