• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 19 - 24, 2014 San Diego to Vancouver

Ha! We do this too! I love those sweet conversations! We talk a lot about the "Mickey boat" too, even though we have never set foot on board!

Is it your 1st cruise?! OMG how exciting! I live vicariously through other people's 1st cruise excitement :rotfl:

Have fun!

Welcome to all the newcomers. I was beginning to think that some of us would be having the ship to ourselves. I have updated the Whose sailing thread, if I have left anyone off or have anything wrong, please correct me.

disneygirl55, aren't those B2Bs the best. We'll wave to you from the dock as we board in San Diego. Will you get off the ship to do anything in San Diego or will you reboard as quickly as you can?

Sorry, RweTHEREyet - I haven't been visiting our thread here in quite a while! We went on the Eastern Fantasy on June 1, and somehow, it's kind of depressing to jump right onto the DisBoards after a cruise. I always feel a little sad for awhile. Well, I'm over it now and ready to start dreaming of May 2014!!:banana:

To answer your question, we've never done a B2B, so we're looking forward to it! We will not be getting off the ship for any length of time, only when they make us. Since MIL and FIL are joining us for the trip up the coast, but not the 2-niter, we're going to find out when they'll be boarding and go wait for them in the atrium. This is their first DCL cruise, and I'm so excited to show them the ropes!!! Hoping to turn them into firm DCL cruisers. ;)

This will be 4th and 5th for us, so we'll finally be gold status when we debark in Vancouver. We will likely stay overnight in Vancouver and fly home to Denver on Sunday morning. BEFORE we board for the May 17 Cruise to Nowhere, we're going to stay at Disneyland for 3 nights. Man, I love that place - it's been too long!

Well, looks like we have to say "toodles" to everyone. It's not a sad thing though. After researching the cost of everything we realized that this cruise isn't as "worth it" for us as we thought. The original appeal was in an inexpensive Disney Cruise, but with the cost of transferring from YVR to SEA, hotel, and a whale watching excursion sky-rocketing the total, we just decided it would be better for us to do something else. So, instead of this cruise we've booked ourselves onto . . . wait for it . . . dun dun dun . . . the 14 night Panama sailing when the Wonder heads back home!! :cool1: We're officially booked on the 9/12/14 sailing from San Diego to Port Canaveral through the Panama Canal! :thumbsup2 What we feel the worst about is the fact that we talked our friends into booking this cruise with us. If they choose to stay on this sailing, please take care of them :) Steve - DON'T HATE US! We're so sorry. We love you guys, we just couldn't pass up the opportunity, especially considering the cost of staying in and transferring from Vancouver. If you remain on this cruise though, we hope you have fun!

For anyone who is curious, our Vancouver research revealed the following:
* Transfer to Seattle would need to be by car, ferry, or bus. Car is the cheapest (1-day is about $130 plus gas), but it takes FOREVER to drive there. My research revealed that Vancouver traffic can take 40 minutes to go 2 miles! Given that, we wouldn't even know what time we'd have to leave to make it to Seattle for our flight, so we'd have to incur another hotel at the airport just to make sure we were safe. Anyway, the average ferry ride will be about $88 per person, same with bus.
* Average whale watching is $130 per person
* Hotel depends on the quality of hotel and the area, but anything near the harbor (and aquarium) that's not a dump will run around $120 - $180 per night plus tax. Obviously, they go upwards of $400 per night for the nicer places (Fairmont, Hyatt, etc). We found that most only have 2 double beds (not queen beds like in the U.S.), so even the Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn (not overly nice but not trashy places) would be $140 per night plus tax with an AAA discount to "upgrade" to queen beds (where available).
We also looked at staying in Victoria instead, as well as Seattle. Seattle hotels are the same or more as Vancouver. Victoria hotels are slightly less (same quality runs about $80 - $90 per night), but the cost of additional ferry to get there is astronomical! You could also take a sea plane, but that's not realistic, and you can drive, but then a 3 day car rental runs over $400!!!!

Anyway - take it as you will, that's just what we've found so far. We wish everyone a happy sailing. Keep the ship nice and tidy for us 'cause we're still going, just a couple months later! :banana:

So sorry to see you go but I know you will enjoy Panama Canal cruise. We were on the May cruise and had a ball. Make sure to go to the lectures on the canal it adds so much to the experience.

Well, looks like we have to say "toodles" to everyone. It's not a sad thing though. After researching the cost of everything we realized that this cruise isn't as "worth it" for us as we thought. The original appeal was in an inexpensive Disney Cruise, but with the cost of transferring from YVR to SEA, hotel, and a whale watching excursion sky-rocketing the total, we just decided it would be better for us to do something else. So, instead of this cruise we've booked ourselves onto . . . wait for it . . . dun dun dun . . . the 14 night Panama sailing when the Wonder heads back home!! :cool1: We're officially booked on the 9/12/14 sailing from San Diego to Port Canaveral through the Panama Canal! :thumbsup2 What we feel the worst about is the fact that we talked our friends into booking this cruise with us. If they choose to stay on this sailing, please take care of them :) Steve - DON'T HATE US! We're so sorry. We love you guys, we just couldn't pass up the opportunity, especially considering the cost of staying in and transferring from Vancouver. If you remain on this cruise though, we hope you have fun!

For anyone who is curious, our Vancouver research revealed the following:
* Transfer to Seattle would need to be by car, ferry, or bus. Car is the cheapest (1-day is about $130 plus gas), but it takes FOREVER to drive there. My research revealed that Vancouver traffic can take 40 minutes to go 2 miles! Given that, we wouldn't even know what time we'd have to leave to make it to Seattle for our flight, so we'd have to incur another hotel at the airport just to make sure we were safe. Anyway, the average ferry ride will be about $88 per person, same with bus.
* Average whale watching is $130 per person
* Hotel depends on the quality of hotel and the area, but anything near the harbor (and aquarium) that's not a dump will run around $120 - $180 per night plus tax. Obviously, they go upwards of $400 per night for the nicer places (Fairmont, Hyatt, etc). We found that most only have 2 double beds (not queen beds like in the U.S.), so even the Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn (not overly nice but not trashy places) would be $140 per night plus tax with an AAA discount to "upgrade" to queen beds (where available).
We also looked at staying in Victoria instead, as well as Seattle. Seattle hotels are the same or more as Vancouver. Victoria hotels are slightly less (same quality runs about $80 - $90 per night), but the cost of additional ferry to get there is astronomical! You could also take a sea plane, but that's not realistic, and you can drive, but then a 3 day car rental runs over $400!!!!

Anyway - take it as you will, that's just what we've found so far. We wish everyone a happy sailing. Keep the ship nice and tidy for us 'cause we're still going, just a couple months later! :banana:

Sorry to see you go. I'm sure your friends will be fine. There are worse things than being "stuck" on the Wonder for 5 days. ;)

You are totally right about post-cruise hotels and getting to Victoria. My parents did Victoria on their own during the 2011 DCL Alaskan. It was alot of trains planes & automobiles and they were exhausted by the time they got on the actual cruise. I can't imagine doing Victoria after the cruise.

Have fun on the Panama Canal cruise!

Sad to see you go! I'm jealous of your Panama Canal cruise though...have fun!!

We booked the Panama cruise first and hen booked this one. We Los booked this one because we figured it would be cheap. Being from Seattle this will be the least we have ever spent on a cruise.

Hi there,
Just signed up for this cruise - will be bringing my 6 year old grandson. My grandkids call me Lolly so it will be Lolly (aka Susie) and Ryan. We are huge Wonder fans. It is a terrific ship. We live in OC so would love a pre sail meet as well as a shipboard meet.
Really enjoyed the Wordle Mickey Head logo - thanks to whoever made it.
We will definitely join the FE - just have to check Ryan's favorite Disney character. Personally, I think FE's are terrific, especially if there are several sea days for the cruise. Too hectic on short cruises, in my opinion. Also think 15 to 20 cabins is a max size. If more, need to split into 2 FE's.
Also, from past cruises, those who are new to DCL here is a favorite tip. You can order Mickey Bars from Room Service! The kids love that. :banana: Also think you might be able to get a cheese/fruit plate.
Finally, does anyone know if they have the kids tea party on this sailing? When available they are something you have to book immediately on boarding as seating is very limited.
Ooops, one last thought for new cruisers on DCL - you can make a future reservation and receive a 10% discount on fare. Most people book as far out as possible their "Phantom" cruise date and then change to the actual sail date they prefer. At least one person who goes on the new date must be part of the phantom reservation. I just "cashed in" the phanton reservation I made in Feb 2012 on the Wonder's Mexican Riviera cruise. I had until labor day this year, or almost 18 months, to come up with a firm plan.
I have been on a couple cruises with grandkids so if you have any questions, ask away. We also know San Diego and SF pretty well. Depending on the baseball schedules, ATT Park (SF Giant's field) has a great tour but only on non-game days.
If anyone wants company at Paolo one night, let me know. I will be happy to join you! That is one place I do not like to do alone. I have found you can usuaslly get a reservation on board.
Looking forward to a great trip. :yay: :cool1: :yay:

Hi there,
Just signed up for this cruise - will be bringing my 6 year old grandson. My grandkids call me Lolly so it will be Lolly (aka Susie) and Ryan. We are huge Wonder fans. It is a terrific ship. We live in OC so would love a pre sail meet as well as a shipboard meet.
We will definitely join the FE - just have to check Ryan's favorite Disney character. Personally, I think FE's are terrific, especially if there are several sea days for the cruise. Too hectic on short cruises, in my opinion. Also think 15 to 20 cabins is a max size. If more, need to split into 2 FE's.
Also, from past cruises, those who are new to DCL here is a favorite tip. You can order Mickey Bars from Room Service! The kids love that. :banana: Also think you might be able to get a cheese/fruit plate.
Finally, does anyone know if they have the kids tea party on this sailing? When available they are something you have to book immediately on boarding as seating is very limited.
Ooops, one last thought for new cruisers on DCL - you can make a future reservation and receive a 10% discount on fare. Most people book as far out as possible their "Phantom" cruise date and then change to the actual sail date they prefer. At least one person who goes on the new date must be part of the phantom reservation. I just "cashed in" the phanton reservation I made in Feb 2012 on the Wonder's Mexican Riviera cruise. I had until labor day this year, or almost 18 months, to come up with a firm plan.
I have been on a couple cruises with grandkids so if you have any questions, ask away. We also know San Diego and SF pretty well. Depending on the baseball schedules, ATT Park (SF Giant's field) has a great tour but only on non-game days.
If anyone wants company at Paolo one night, let me know. I will be happy to join you! That is one place I do not like to do alone. I have found you can usuaslly get a reservation on board.
Welcome! How exciting for your grandson! We have a 4 yr old granddaughter that someday we want to take but for now it's just DH & I. If you are on FB come on over to our group !
https://www.facebook.com/groups/59877496347741:cool1::cool1:8

Hi there,

Welcome aboard. I am traveling with my daughter and my grandson Jackson who will be almost 5. We also like the Wonder. We are doing the back to back with Alaska. Jackson loves the club which will come in handy as swimming will be so limited on this trip. We live in Santa Clarita

Hi all!

Good to meet you! My mother (MassDisLovers) and I have booked the trip and are VERY excited! Hoping to send a day in San Diego before we take off, and then a day in Seattle afterwards. The MOST exciting is the fact that we can spend a day in SF, where my brother/her son lives.

Looking forward to getting to know you all. Only 306 days until we cruise!

:figment: :smickey: :goofy:

Hi there,

Welcome Aboard, I have added you to the roster on the first page. There is also a link there to sign up for the FE, which Kew423 is organizing.

My son moved home from OC this past year, and we enjoyed visiting the area a few times.

Hi all!

Good to meet you! My mother (MassDisLovers) and I have booked the trip and are VERY excited! Hoping to send a day in San Diego before we take off, and then a day in Seattle afterwards. The MOST exciting is the fact that we can spend a day in SF, where my brother/her son lives.

Looking forward to getting to know you all. Only 306 days until we cruise!

:figment: :smickey: :goofy:

Hey there, Meggy, I have you added to the roster on the first page. Welcome aboard. How fun to be sailing with your Mom and to get to visit with your brother.

Sorry guys we've had to leave you. Hubbys change of jobs means we have had to push our holiday forward next year so we will bringing the Wonder to San Diego on the WBPC instead.

I hope you all have the most fantastic cruise(s).

Take care all :wave:

Sorry guys we've had to leave you. Hubbys change of jobs means we have had to push our holiday forward next year so we will bringing the Wonder to San Diego on the WBPC instead.

I hope you all have the most fantastic cruise(s).

Take care all :wave:

Sorry to see you go, but I know you will love the WBPC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter