MaxPAss Strategy

Carl4628

Mouseketeer
Starting to plan for our trip in October. Does anyone have a MaxPass strategy that they would be willing to share? That is, a good sequence/touring order? I know that the popular rides (Space Mountain, RSR, Guardians, etc.) run out early. Thanks in advance.

This thread (My Revised One Day Plan) has a good work through of another poster's MP plan. Read through to get an idea of how MP can work to get the most done. That will give you a good idea of how to get the most out of MP on any given day, give or take. This thread was posted before Pixar Pier opened, so there have been a few changes in the mix of MP rides available; but, overall, the basic advice and approach is good.

A lot depends on what you want to do. We've had several days where we started in DL at rope drop at 8am, then took a long afternoon break, then finished the night in DCA. Mornings were easy. Lines are shorter and FP are generally available for whatever you want. Then about 10:30 I would start checking the app for RSR return times. Those run out quickly and we wanted an evening time. Once a time was available that worked for us I got a FP. This was on average around 11:30-12:00 that I got the RSR FP. At that point we were locked out of a new FP for 90 minutes, but we would usually have some other FP banked up to use at DL or we were ready for lunch and a break. Then, while at the hotel I would check 90 minutes later to see if there was another FP available for evening. Most took a lot longer to run out, but by getting the ones that run out first, I was able to stack up to 5 in the evening/night hours when we came back.

You'll have to be more specific. How many people? Kids? What sort of rides are you looking to do?

A lot depends on what you want to do. We've had several days where we started in DL at rope drop at 8am, then took a long afternoon break, then finished the night in DCA. Mornings were easy. Lines are shorter and FP are generally available for whatever you want. Then about 10:30 I would start checking the app for RSR return times. Those run out quickly and we wanted an evening time. Once a time was available that worked for us I got a FP. This was on average around 11:30-12:00 that I got the RSR FP. At that point we were locked out of a new FP for 90 minutes, but we would usually have some other FP banked up to use at DL or we were ready for lunch and a break. Then, while at the hotel I would check 90 minutes later to see if there was another FP available for evening. Most took a lot longer to run out, but by getting the ones that run out first, I was able to stack up to 5 in the evening/night hours when we came back.

This is great information. Booking FPs as they become available while at the hotel for a mid-day break is a great strategy.

You'll have to be more specific. How many people? Kids? What sort of rides are you looking to do?

We will be traveling from the east coast and will be staying for 7 nights and be in the parks for 6 days. We are a party of 5 with 4 adults and a 6 year old. Two of the adults will only be spending 3 days in the parks and we want to make sure that we maximize our time. Also, we will be arriving on the Saturday of gay days in October, but do not plan to be in the park on that day. We do plan to go to the opposite park of the event (Disneyland) on Sunday in order to avoid crowds. I think if we use the strategy mentioned by a previous poster should suffice, but any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Do you have APs? Because unless you're from out of the country, 6-day tickets are not a thing.

Do you have APs? Because unless you're from out of the country, 6-day tickets are not a thing.

Only making one trip this year. So, APs would not be cost effective. Doing 5 day tickets plus single day. Is your question somehow related or relevant to MaxPass strategy?

No, I just wanted to be sure you knew that six day tickets are not available because not everyone realizes that. Didn't want you to be surprised at a large cost difference for one day.

No, I just wanted to be sure you knew that six day tickets are not available because not everyone realizes that. Didn't want you to be surprised at a large cost difference for one day.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I am fully aware. Another $100ish for the extra day per person is hard to accept, but we only travel to DL every few years as we are from the east coast.

So you can stack FastPasses if you are using MaxPass? MaxPasses don't expire after the time window?
They do expire after the time window, but by getting the FP for the rides that run out first you can end up with multiple fast passes that overlap and fill up your evening. For example, I might be able to get RSR at noon for 7-8pm. Then at 2pm I might be able to get a different ride for somewhere around there. The trick is to not get so many fast passes within the same time windows that you won't be able to use them all. It takes a little planning during the afternoon, but it is possible to come back to DCA at 6pm with 5 fast passes lined up with windows between 6-9pm.

You suggest grabbing paper fast passes and phone max passes? Next week will be our first time using MP. Does having a MP scheduled affect ability to pull paper fast passes?

One thing I’ve found about MaxPass is...

...your first selections are time and desire dependent! All MaxPass decisions will follow from there, but YOU have to make the initial FastPass decisions, based on what you or your group deems most important. All following FP decisions cascade from there.

It will change day to day. Determine what is most important to you. Also, determine you are ok with what you don’t choose. Anything else leads to unhappiness.

At the end, of nothing else, get a double-scoop mint chocolate chip nut-dipped ice cream cone from Clairabelle’s on Main St. using mobile ordering after the fireworks. Makes all better as you leave the park back to your hotel. Honest. I’ve done it.

You suggest grabbing paper fast passes and phone max passes? Next week will be our first time using MP. Does having a MP scheduled affect ability to pull paper fast passes?

I don't see where the pp is suggesting mixing paper FP with digital FP. The post appears to be referring to MP only.

MP does not interfere with your ability to pull paper FPs, but remember that you cannot double dip and that the maximum time window to pull your next FP will be different with each method. With MP, your maximum window will be 90 minutes until you can pull another digitial FP (sooner if your return time is sooner than 90 minutes). With paper FP, your maximum window to pull a new FP will be 2 hours. So if your whole party has MP, I'm not sure why you'd want to mix MP with paper FP since, theoretically, you'd be able to get more FPs per day using only MP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter