Maximizing VIP tour

utahgirl

Earning My Ears
We will be doing a tour over the Holidays and there is currently a debate in the house. Is it better to do the tour earlier, while crowds are low so you can move through the parks quicker, or later in the day when its more crowded and lines are longer.

My DH believes that we could do more rides in the morning as we wouldn’t have to fight crowds moving between rides, eating up time.
I’m wondering if its better to have the tour later we would be skipping longer wait times.

For those who have done a tour during high crowd times, did you feel like your plaid was a fast walker, or more careful and maybe slower as they represent Disney.

And finally, for those who have done high crowds and low crowds, did the crowd size make a difference on the tour wait time.

We did a tour that was from 10a-6pm on one of the busiest days and that was perfect end time for us. Gave us a chance to have casual morning, get some breakfast and coffee, hit few rides with low crowds on our own then hit it hard mid day with the tour guide. We then did a table reservation for dinner at 7p and that was a MUCH needed break to get off our feet and relax...we then enjoyed the rest of the night at a relaxing pace in the park without having to worry about rushing to the next attraction cuz we did them all!

The will go at your pace. Crowds are not an issue with the tour guide, you want them when it IS busy!

To max your time, I suggest a 11 to 6 or 1130 to 630 time for 7 hour Tour. You can have lunch right before and dinner right after, and a snack/rest during tour.

the guides will move as fast as you want. Crowds, unless insane, will not hinder your tour.

i typically still do some rides before the tour starts, like maybe do Tomorrowland in morning. in the morning you really don’t need the guide.

my most recent vip was in Disney world, starting in Hollywood studios. I got and went on a rotr bg, did toy story midway mania which was a walk on, alien swirling saucers, and explored galaxys edge and had lunch before the tour started At 1130.

as far as crowd size and wait time, it really depends on the ride, and where you enter the queue. Some rides, like Alice, you enter from the end of the ride, so the queue really doesn’t matter. Some, you enter fast pass/lightning lane queue, so it depends on how many others are in that line. How you enter the queue may differ as well. Indiana jones for example on one tour we just used fast pass lane, but another time we entered from end of the ride. That really changes the time required.

Last edited:
We typically do our tours starting at noon or 1. This gives us time in the morning to do a few things, grab lunch prior to tour. The guides are good at moving at your pace and keeping everyone together.

For those who have done a tour during high crowd times, did you feel like your plaid was a fast walker, or more careful and maybe slower as they represent Disney.

Your guide will go at whatever pace you want. One time I was with some folks who walked pretty slowly, and the guide stayed right with us. Then those folks took a break and some of us "fast walkers" were left with the guide--we booked after that (again, with the guide staying right with us)!

Iceman93 thank you for your answer. My DH is concerned about the guide not being pushy through crowds. We are fast walkers and want to maximize our tour time. We are booked New Years Day, and from prior experience, believe the morning will be low crowds as people slowly wake up, but will get busier as it’s the last Saturday before traveling home.

Iceman93 thank you for your answer. My DH is concerned about the guide not being pushy through crowds. We are fast walkers and want to maximize our tour time. We are booked New Years Day, and from prior experience, believe the morning will be low crowds as people slowly wake up, but will get busier as it’s the last Saturday before traveling home.
They aren't Moses, but I've seen the plaids walk with determination with smaller groups. When it's 6+ -- a lot harder to keep all together.

Also, if you give them flexibility, they will be able to get around crowds. For example, if you just give them a list of the rides you want to do, they will determine the best order to do them, and be able to change on a dime, if it turns out crowds are bad at that location. On the other hand, if you tell them, I want to ride Space Mountain right now 5 times in a row, there is not much they can do if it's really crowded there, although they will do their best.

The more flexible you are, the better overall your experience will be. Just assume that the guide knows what they are talking about if they suddenly change where you are going.

As other posters have said pick to start where you have eaten already and can eat afterwards. 1130-630 is pretty good Even 12pm-7pm works.

I am going to guess that you will be visiting both parks. I would definitely do a rope drop plan so you can finish most of the attractions with minimum waits before you meet the guide.

7am go for an early Rise Boarding Group (it is even okay if it is for later as you can still use it after your posted return time. For now.)
Start in Fantasyland
Order is Peter Pan or Snow White first, then Alice, Dumbo, Toad, and Pinocchio.
The goal needs to be that you are exiting Fantasyland by 845am.
Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Mansion. Complete by 950am.
Get in line for Splash Mountain before 10am.
10am-11am you are free, I would take a look at the Falcon, or Small World wait time. Hopefully the Rise return will be around this time as well.

Have lunch around 11am.
Then start your VIP tour at DCA and hit every major attraction in DCA. Soarin, Grizzly (may want to do first while the sun is out), Web Slingers, Guardians, Racers, TSMM, and Incredicoaster
Then come back to DL around 3pm.
Start experiencing all the major E tickets. Rise again, Indy, Thunder, Matterhorn, Space.

If you include Genie+ in all of this I would be sure to stack LL's to use for when you finish your VIP Tour.

ME

We recently considered doing it, and for our purposes it would have been one of those "move at a blistering pace to get our money's worth, do not allow anyone to take any food breaks for 8 hours" type of trips. We absolutely would have done 11-6 or 12-7 because you can do a ton on your own in the morning and we tend to get there at rope drop and leave at closing anyway.

Sorry this is OT but how much are these tours. The website insist you call for moor info

Depends on the time of year, but its around 450 to 800 an hour, minimum 7 hours. Plus tip to guide. You would have to call them to get the exact amount for the day you are interested in.

btw, the page says
  • Starting at $2,975, you and up to 9 other Guests can enjoy a customizable VIP Tour, with a minimum of 7 hours.
that would be 425 an hour, but that would be off season for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter