Maxi dress in summer/ and fabrics for WDW

cinnaminny

DIS Veteran
So I am getting closer to my trip and trying to get a wardrobe organized and I'm having kind of a tough time. Is a Maxi dress or two ( that is not dragging on the ground) a bad idea? I don't really like shorts, although I am bringing some, but I want to mix it up and wear some dresses too.

Would knee length dresses be better?

Also, I read that Rayon is a bad idea for a summer trip...is it really that bad? I'm actually buying new things because I have recently lost some weight and I'm mostly looking at cotton/dri stuff but some Rayon things are so cute

I don't know where you are from but if you've never been to WDW in the summer, prepare to be in weather that is 2 degrees cooler than walking on the sun with extremely high humidity and a minimum of 50% chance of a daily thunderstorm between 3-7 everyday. I live here and I can tell you I don't wear rayon outside except from my car to the office. I don't wear anything formal unless I'm going from the car to the air-conditioned venue.
I can be extremely miserable hot for FL people so prepare for that. Cool wicking materials. Light weight cotton. T-shirt materials are pretty much what we live in here. Oh and bathing suits.

Rayon and Spandex - not so good. Lightweight materials that breath will be more comfortable. I'd google 'resort wear' - that usually will bring up tons of sites that cater to warm weather destinations.

Maxi dresses are not fun if you get caught in a summer downpour :(

Maxi dresses are not much cooler than pants being they trap the heat inside the dress. I would stay away from Maxi dresses for anything other than going out to dinner. Midi dress if you really don't do shorts. I normally do capri pants but am packing shorts for WDW. Hey no one cares what my ugly legs look like. The truth is no one cares what you have on as much as you.

I can't imagine getting on and off rides in a maxi dress, that seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

I highly recommend skorts, they are lightweight, breathable and conducive to the hot heat. Golfers and tennis players wear them for a reason! Athleta makes some really nice ones, good luck and have a magical time!

The biggest issue I would have with maxi dress is ride restraints, and getting on and off rides, as PP have mentioned. Also, it rains a lot, and a maxi dress with a wet hem would be so uncomfortable IMO

I love dresses and skirts at WDW. I wear Jockey Skimmers under them in place of underwear. I have never had problems getting on and off attractions. I try to stick to cotton or linen materials. Even in a maxi dress or skirt, I tend to get more airflow than in capris or pants. I rarely am comfortable in shorts so I may wear one pair once out of 7 days.

As for the heat, it does get hot in Florida during the summer, but I have been there when the temperature and humidity felt no worse than in Ohio. I once arrived in Tampa and it was 5 degrees cooler that week than it had been in Ohio.

I love dresses but try to stick to sundresses of a cotton/lightweight material. I make sure they are close to knee length and have never had issues getting on/off rides, etc. I think dresses are cooler. I also like athletic type skorts, they are cool and comfortable. A maxi dress would be cute for a nicer dinner at night maybe at your resort.

I've always avoided dresses at the parks of any length - both for ride restraints and the thigh chafing factor. I stick to workout capris or bicycle shorts that are tight fitting, long enough to avoid chafe, and moisture wicking.

I normally take a couple of maxi dresses to wear if we go to Disney springs in the evening but I think I would melt if I wore one in the daytime! I also got in an evening thunderstorm after getting off the bus and I'm sure the sight of me running to my room maxi dress scooped in one hand and sandals in the other was not my most glamorous moment!

I almost only wear sundresses when in Florida during the humid months. My dresses are usually a polyester/spandex blend. (In my opinion, I don't think that cotton is a good choice when it's humid, as it just holds the moisture from rain, humidity, and sweat.) I often find really cute dresses at TJMaxx and Nordstrom Rack (in-store and online). I have many Max Studio dresses because they have many that are loose-fitting, but with a flattering fit. I always pair my dresses with either Jockey Skimmies or the Target alternative JKY slipshorts. (I prefer the JKY version.) These are very comfortable, wick away moisture, provide some modesty, and prevent chafing. For shoes, I do not worry about looking "cute". I'll wear Keens, Tevas, or my Croc slide sandals with the dresses. Here is a link to an example of the type of dress I'm trying to describe.
https://tjmaxx.tjx.com/store/jump/p...70993?colorId=NS3303062&pos=4:83&N=4261041175

I wouldn't do Maxi dresses because of their length. (Maybe at Disney Springs.) Getting on/off rides would be too much for me.

I prefer knee length for parks.

I also always always always wear bike shorts or capris beneath my dresses. I wear Old Navy active bike shorts or Active compression capris (black only) to prevent chafing and accidental exposure. (I am NOT built like Marilyn Monroe, so I don't need to do a recreation of that famous photo of her dress flying up.)

I wear the workout capris and tees regularly in the parks and in every day life, so I don't think they're too hot for me, even in the hottest of weather. Your mileage may vary.

I wore a couple maxi dresses in October and it was still pretty warm. The air doesn't circulate like you think it will. Lol! Knee length is much more comfortable. I would NEVER wear a maxi dress to WDW in summer. You will be most comfortable in cotton, linen, moisture wicking clothes, and light colors. Honestly, summer is more of a gym shorts and tank top kind of a trip. Buy some cute ears and call it a day.

These are a couple of the maxi dresses I take to WDW and wear even in summer.
I wear bike or exercise shorts underneath and also a thin cami.
The white background big flower print is woven cotton. The smaller blue and white print is a thin polyester and spandex knit.
The plain blue is a thin rayon and spandex knit. The rayon knit is OK, but woven rayon wrinkles a lot.

I don’t find them to be hot or hold heat and I haven’t had any issues with ride restraints or getting on/off rides. The longest one is just above ankle length and the others come to between ankle and knee length on me. AF3C58DC-AB0B-42D6-A0D3-6B15DD57A187.jpeg

Note about dresses and getting wet on rides: knits can become unexpectedly revealing, not because they cling, but because unless it is a wicking fabric designed for active sports, it will become quite heavy when wet, and with the weight of the water against the stretch, the neckline is likely to suddenly become much deeper than it was when dry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter