Matt's Sunrise Safari Report - Breakfast on the Jungle Cruise!!

Looks great but not $300.00 great. Maybe $100.00 Most of that stuff is there already, they added table and chairs.8-)

Thanks for all the pics so far!!! Did you love the parting gift? As soon as I saw it, I was thinking you'd love it!

Thanks for the report! While still high I see much more justification for the price than I did when first reading about the event, it sounds like it takes a number of CMs to pull it off and the food sounds quite special. I love the photos of the elephant that can't be seen from the river, I feel special just seeing the photos of it! The food sounds marvelous. I hope they keep the event around or expand with some other very special events in the distant future when I get to a place where I can afford it! (Not that disney isn't already going to get enough from me this year on my upcoming wdw trip lol...)

Thanks for all the pics so far!!! Did you love the parting gift? As soon as I saw it, I was thinking you'd love it!

Absolutely!!! I actually didn't even open mine till I got home, but I was oogling the other's as they were setting them up out by the bazaar. It will go great in my Disneyland Display case of awesome.

Thanks for the report! While still high I see much more justification for the price than I did when first reading about the event, it sounds like it takes a number of CMs to pull it off and the food sounds quite special. I love the photos of the elephant that can't be seen from the river, I feel special just seeing the photos of it! The food sounds marvelous. I hope they keep the event around or expand with some other very special events in the distant future when I get to a place where I can afford it! (Not that disney isn't already going to get enough from me this year on my upcoming wdw trip lol...)

Between this Sunrise/Jungle Cruise event and the Mystical Spirits of the Blue Bayou event (which just got a great review from one of our DIS'ers, here - http://www.disboards.com/threads/ha...s-now-sold-out.3270919/page-270#post-54488352), it sounds like Disneyland has 2 winners on its hands. It doesn't sound like these events were the chaotic mess that the WDW special events are sometimes reported to be.

Last year there were some not-so-great reviews of MahaloWeen at the Disneyland Hotel so I wasn't sure if they would bring it back. And yet, it is back this year -- so I have to assume that Disney probably 'fixed' whatever was wrong with it last year, and people will probably feel it is more worthwhile this time around.

It's interesting because a CM that I know told me many months ago (much earlier this year) that a lot of people were being brought in to work Special Events in the second half of this year. At the time we didn't know what was happening with Mickey's Halloween Party, so we thought that maybe those people were being brought in/hired for some sort of MHP expansion. The CM said she didn't know what was happening in the second half of the year, but she could tell by the number of people involved that there would be a lot going on in the Special Events department of Disneyland Resort, with possibly even more people being brought in during the fall.

Now I see that the Special Events that all of the people were brought in to work are things like this Jungle Cruise event, MSBB, MahaloWeen... and maybe a surprise event for the holiday season?? Now it all makes sense!

At 07:26, we collected our stuff and were lead out of the Veldt. I took one last look and begrudgingly followed along as we made our way out the exit to Indy and towards the Jungle Cruise queue. There was a hose running across the entrance, and we were extremely careful not to step on the “Jungle Cobra”…. Edit asked if I had touched it, and I said I couldn’t help myself… it seemed so cuddly. She eyed me up with her monocle…evaluating my sanity.

We were divided up into teams, I believe four in total. I was a member of the Tiger Crew according to my card. Kurt and Julie happened to be on my crew as well. We congregated by the exit and waited for our boat to pull around. Edit was having a lively discussion with us and showed us her best impression of a tiger.

IMG_0962%20(Large).JPG

IMG_0963%20(Large).JPG

DSC_3730%20(Large).jpg

We boarded our boat, which was skippered by Karl. A Disney Photographer was already on board, and we all took turns up at the helm where a photographer on the dock took our picture. Once we had each had a turn at the helm for pics, we were off!!!

DSC_3738%20(Large).jpg

Karl stopped and gave us some advice for our crash course in skippering…”If you want a good cruise, say your spiel with pride. Keep your mic close and to the side.” After that, and a safety run down, we made our way to the sunken Cambodian shrine. I was the first one to ply my spiel and I was UP!!! I stuck to the spiel on my card verbatim. He asked if I had anything else, and I rolled right into the well-known fact of the Bengal Tiger being able jump 25 feet. Thankfully we were only 20 feet away from him, so he’d jump right over the boat. It was a good spiel, and I got a thumbs up from Karl. We made our way around the jungle, stopping for each of the 8 people in our boat to have a chance at one of the show scenes. Julie didn’t want to do hers, so I got to do Schweitzer Falls too. I stuck to script on that one also, with only one additional quip at the end about “going over that later”. We finished our trip around, and while we were waiting to pull up to the dock, we took turns quizzing Karl about what it was like to be a Jungle Cruise Skipper. One thing which stuck with me was that he generally does about 25 tours in a shift. That’s a lot of spieling.

DSC_3750%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3755%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3757%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3761%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3774%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3779%20(Large).jpg

As we made our way to the dock, Edith cheered us on! We were told to swap our cards, and were going to have to wing it without any practice this time around. I swapped with the gentleman across the boat from me and ended up with the Lost Safari. We made our way through the show scenes until I came to my scene where I threw in a “You’ll get the point” at the end in reference to the rhino, which got a chuckle from Karl and a few of the others in my crew. One thing I noticed as we passed the Veldt was that the tables and chairs were still set up. Somehow I had expected that they would have taken them down as soon as we had left the scene.

DSC_3781%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3788%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3792%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3804%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3809%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3827%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3837%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3844%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3850%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3855%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3863%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3872%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3876%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3879%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3883%20(Large).jpg

DSC_3888%20(Large).jpg

Oh my goodness -- this is so much fun! I am loving the photos from the boat, as everyone read their lines. I feel like I am there, listening in.

I wonder if any of the photos taken by Disney will end up in a Parks Blog at some point.

Oh my goodness -- this is so much fun! I am loving the photos from the boat, as everyone read their lines. I feel like I am there, listening in.

I wonder if any of the photos taken by Disney will end up in a Parks Blog at some point.
They are supposed to email the attendees a link to the photos they took. I've got nothing yet.

Great report Matt, and I loved all the photos! It looks like you had a blast. It's funny....I'm so used to seeing you in your Dapper attire, I almost didn't recognize you! LOL!!

Gonna have to finish this up in the morning. I'm out of steam for today... Last installment (or two) coming in the AM.

Great report Matt, and I loved all the photos! It looks like you had a blast. It's funny....I'm so used to seeing you in your Dapper attire, I almost didn't recognize you! LOL!!
Thanks N!! Did you ever get your pics from DD up? I didn't see a thread with the whole set.

Last edited:
Gonna have to finish this up in the morning. I'm out of steam for today... Last installment (or two) coming in the AM.

Aaargh! I'm loving your tr installments. Just don't wanna wait till the morning for the ending!

Thanks S!! Did you ever get your pics from DD up? I didn't see a thread with the whole set.
Yes, the Dapper Day thread is called "Dapper Day (Fall 2015) pics" It's on the 3rd page right now. Sorry, I don't know how to post the link.:confused3

Great photos, what camera are you using?
Nikon D600. I REALLY want the D750. The D600 while pretty good with high ISO, can't hold a candle to the new D750. I've got all the glass I could ever want now (outside of really exotic stuff like 300mm f/2.8), so a new body will be up next. Probably next year. I really like the smaller format of the D600/750 vs. the HUGE format of the D3/4. Full frame in a crop-sensor sized body is what I like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter