Matterhorn refurb

carisa81

Mouseketeer
Has anyone heard what, exactly, they are doing to the Matterhorn? It just went through a huge refurbishment in 2012. It would be nice if they were making it less hard on your butt. ;)

Hopefully (in my dreams) they will rip out the old track and give it the same smooth track that big thunder mountain has. My back would really appreciate that upgrade.

But I don't think they are going to do that, or anything else that will significantly improve or change the ride in any meaningful way. :(

I still say make Matterhorn smoother, not too much though. And reconfigure those bobsleds man! Put some of that bumpiness back into big thunder.
On a side note, does anyone know if the singing donkey is back in Pirates? TIA :)

Hopefully (in my dreams) they will rip out the old track and give it the same smooth track that big thunder mountain has. My back would really appreciate that upgrade.

But I don't think they are going to do that, or anything else that will significantly improve or change the ride in any meaningful way. :(

The rumor is the Matterhorn is getting an upgraded Ab. Snowman AA and upgraded show scenes. I'd say that would improve the ride...just not the comfort of the ride. I think the best we can hope for is some padded seats but I haven't read anything about them changing the sleds in any way.

Like Blue32, I have not read anything online that says they are going to modify the sleds or track. It has all been about plussing up the Harold audio-anamatronics. That said, Disney certainly knows of the legions of people who hate the new sleds. So my hope is that this will be addressed now. Personally, while I do find the ride bumpier, I still love the Matterhorn. It was the first roller coaster I ever rode as a little kid, and it has always thrilled me. While I miss the cuddle-up seats of yesteryear, I like the fact that we have a single rider line now. So much easier to grab a quick ride even at peak times. My family is a heavy user of SR on Matterhorn as you get your own seat anyway.

I've only been to DLR once, but the Matterhorn was the WORST ride I rode while I was there. The line was wrapped around the entire base of the mountain, so the wait was a nightmare. And when I finally got to ride, the sleds were small and cramped, and the bumpiness destroyed my back.

I hate to be negative, but I don't know that I have any desire to go back on it. Maybe I'm just spoiled by rides like BTMRR and SM

I saw a weekly Youtube show (don't know if I can post the name or link here). They were riding the monorail last weekend and seemed to think the tracks were shiny and/or looked brand new (or at least painted). Remember before refurb they were really dull and rusty looking. And there were a few workers on the tracks halfway up the mountain.

Don't want to spread rumors, but that was their observation. Maybe someone will confirm yes or no soon.

Now I want to ride the monorail and see if I can see anything going on while I'm there next week :)
Thanks!!

I saw a weekly Youtube show (don't know if I can post the name or link here). They were riding the monorail last weekend and seemed to think the tracks were shiny and/or looked brand new (or at least painted). Remember before refurb they were really dull and rusty looking. And there were a few workers on the tracks halfway up the mountain.

Don't want to spread rumors, but that was their observation. Maybe someone will confirm yes or no soon.

When I was there at the beginning of Feb, it looked like maybe some track was gone as we passed by on the monorail, but it was dark each time I rode, so hard to get an accurate assessment in on if there was track there before, and any potential difference. Of course, when I rode on the monorail in the past, I wasn't paying attention to the track for me to accurately distinguish any difference now. Wow, so, really, there was not a lot of reason to write this reply, other than to say, "Other people have said that it looks like the track was under improvement of some sort."

When I was there at the beginning of Feb, it looked like maybe some track was gone as we passed by on the monorail, but it was dark each time I rode, so hard to get an accurate assessment in on if there was track there before, and any potential difference. Of course, when I rode on the monorail in the past, I wasn't paying attention to the track for me to accurately distinguish any difference now. Wow, so, really, there was not a lot of reason to write this reply, other than to say, "Other people have said that it looks like the track was under improvement of some sort."

lol ...... It's all right.... Sometimes, I'll post something and then think what on earth?

Thanks everyone. Matterhorn has always been my favorite ride, also. I don't like the new bobsleds. I do miss sitting in others laps. So much fun!! They can still have it bumpy, but not so bumpy that it kills your tailbone. Either way, I will always be a fan. Can't wait to see how Harold is different.

I was there from February 25 to the 2nd of March and they seemed to be welding due to the sound of it and the Sparks flying. I also saw a crane or two in the mountain :)

For what it's worth, probably not much, but when I was there in January we rode on the monorail with a man who seemed very knowlegeable, and he said the track is built into the superstructure and that is why they have never changed it, and never will be able to.

For what it's worth, probably not much, but when I was there in January we rode on the monorail with a man who seemed very knowlegeable, and he said the track is built into the superstructure and that is why they have never changed it, and never will be able to.
I don't believe that because disney would have never built something like that

I was there in Feb, also, I saw a crane doing something and also heard the welding noises. Would love a new track.

The lack of padding in the new sleds is a common complaint. :sad1:
:idea: Maybe an adult size inflatable cushion..

They sell ponchos to wear on the water rides....
Maybe they can start selling Bob Sled Cushions.

Here's one from eBay for $6.99
$_12.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter