massage for wife and mother in law?

mattsnyder9

occalidizkid
We're going on the Dream in July, looking to surprise my wife and mother in law with a massage of some sort. I want to book it now because I know if we wait to book while on the cruise they'll say "no that's too expensive". Would a couples massage be weird? Or should I just book two massages individually? I just wanted to give them a little time to themselves away from kids and grandkids but be able to enjoy each others company.

I would also do them separately. I want complete quiet when getting a massage, not someone in there who might talk or make me feel like I have to talk. Do you know for sure your MIL will like a massage. My MIL would, but my own mom absolutely hates them.

Do you know for sure your MIL will like a massage. My MIL would, but my own mom absolutely hates them.
haha my mom is the same way, but my mother in law would actually enjoy the massage, I don't think I could do a cruise with my own mom, that woud be a disaster!

As much as I love massages and loved my dearly departed MIL, I can’t imagine disrobing in front of her and experience a couples massage together.

I would suggest either separate massages, or if you really want them to enjoy some time together, book them mani/pedis at the same time. They are very relaxing and are much more conducive to conversation.

Just to clarify, this is your wife and her mother, not her mother-in-law (your mom) right? I think people are responding based on it being a massage with your wife and your mom. I honestly would not mind a massage with my mom or my daughter, but would feel uncomfortable with my MIL.

Does your wife like hanging out with her Mom? I took my own Mom to the spa one time and it wasn’t relaxing for me at all because I needed to worry about her comfort and enjoyment the entire time. So, if you book them, I would say no couples massage and, depending on their relationship, maybe book it for your wife only so that she can get the massage and quiet time in the spa area to truly relax. It is so nice of you to think of them!

Just to clarify, this is your wife and her mother, not her mother-in-law (your mom) right?

I think you are correct and I totally misread the question! However I would still much rather get a mani/pedi with my mother since it is more of a “hang out and talk” situation where I think of a massage as being more quiet and something you do solo or with a romantic partner.

I think you are correct and I totally misread the question! However I would still much rather get a mani/pedi with my mother since it is more of a “hang out and talk” situation where I think of a massage as being more quiet and something you do solo or with a romantic partner.

I think mani/pedi would also be a great idea if they both like those.

I vote for separate massages, booked before hand. Just book something normal, not deep tissue, unless they are avid massage enthusiasts. They can always enjoy discussing it afterward in the Cove Cafe having a drink, coffee, or snack.

I'm with the others who suggest doing something else - like the pedicure. You really aren't enjoying anyone's company on the massage table. Neither my own mom nor my MIL would want Rainforest passes (neither even owns a swimsuit anymore), but for someone else - that would be a great alternative. If they want time with each other to converse, rather than relax - definitely a pedicure is the best option.

I did the mojitos tasting with my mom, and we had the best time. We both love rum drinks, but no one else in the family does, so it was a good chance to do something away from the others. She has never done that kind of thing anywhere else. She's too picky about wine and beer to do those tastings, which are the kind you typically encounter on land. But mojitos - perfect for her! Just any idea, if you are looking for an alternative.

Yes, it's my wife's own mother! H-no if it was her MIL, my mom. But the mani/pedi sounds like a good idea, except they'll probably both get them done right before the cruise, that's all.

Yes, it's my wife's own mother! H-no if it was her MIL, my mom. But the mani/pedi sounds like a good idea, except they'll probably both get them done right before the cruise, that's all.

Yes, that does become an issue! If you are booking this as a way for them to just be pampered a bit, separate messages is a fine way to go. If the goal is for them to spend time together, maybe something different.

Apparently I have very different experiences of couples massages. I don't talk to the person I am getting one with. I may occasionally make remarks to the masseuse to change position or work an area again, but that's it. No reason to not book a couples massage, unless it isn't cheaper.

Also, the online/onshore menu is limited. If you want to book it while on board, slip away the first day and make the appointment, let them know it is a surprise and to ensure they deliver the appointment reminder to your stateroom. It'll be fine. If you want, you probably can pay for tip ahead of time or to let them know you'll show up at the end of the appointment to settle the bill.

I adore my mother & will be taking several vacations with her over the next year. However, she snores during her massages, and I don't think I'd be able to stop giggling once that happens. Best wishes! I think you've made a great decision!

If that is too uncomfortable, I would do Rainforest passes. They can do things individually or choose to do together. Its very relaxing and can be their choice what to do. PS..no complete disrobing, bathing suits can be used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter