Massachusetts DVC Owners Group

babyruth, in my opinion COVID has truly affected our ability to book DVC. Prior to COVID, I would often find reservations available with a short window (i.e., 3-4 months out.) Since COVID, it seems that one must book the home resort at the 11-month window. RE: school vacation availability, it's always been difficult to book those dates so the earlier one does it, the better chance of getting the dates needed.

Covid has definitely had an impact, as many people have put off travel and have a lot of points stored up to spend.

We have a bunch of trips planned ourselves as a result - going in November over Thanksgiving with my SIL & her family, and then going again over February Vacation week with a bunch of friends and family (we’re treating all of them in that we’ve used our points to book their rooms).

Since we are new members we have never tried to travel using our points yet. I hope it’s temporary that there is so little availability especially around school vacations.
I'm a teacher so we are limited to school vacation weeks unless we want to go during the summer. Availability isn't too bad as long as you don't wait too long. I am always able to book my home resort and switch to another if I wanted to. Usually booking studios or 1 bedrooms.

Looking for some opinions from teachers from MA.

My daughter just started kindergarten, I am thinking of taking a few extra days (up to a week) out of school after the April spring break for an extended trip to WDW. We don't plan to take any day off for vacation once she starts first grade.

In your opinion, would the teacher object or take issue with this plan? Offically school does not allow taking day off for vacation, but don't know how strict it is for kindergarten. (I plan to ask in next week's teacher/parent conference.) Thanks!

My daughter just started kindergarten, I am thinking of taking a few extra days (up to a week) out of school after the April spring break for an extended trip to WDW. We don't plan to take any day off for vacation once she starts first grade.

In your opinion, would the teacher object or take issue with this plan? Offically school does not allow taking day off for vacation, but don't know how strict it is for kindergarten. (I plan to ask in next week's teacher/parent conference.) Thanks!
Wondering how you made out with this when you asked at the Parent/Teacher Conference. While I am not a teacher, I am in the state's largest teachers' union and, frankly, I am not too surprised that you did not receive any replies here since, as you noted, schools so not allow taking days off for vacation. That said, I think that there are some schools that are more lenient than others (especially for the younger children.)

I'm not a teacher, either, but I'd note that teachers generally did not object when our kids were younger. We stopped taking the kids out of school for vacations when they hit late middle school, mostly because even when getting assignments ahead of time, it was too hard on them for making up the work. Given that we were looking to ensure our kids didn't fall behind and completed assignments on vacation, I think that is why we never had issues with the teachers. We also DID try to minimize the amount of time they would miss.

We went in April until my kids started 5th-6th grades, then like others have mentioned it became too hard with all the makeup work they had to do as we would usually go a couple of extra days in addition to the school vacation week. While we did the April trips teachers from 1st through 4th grade were great and we made it a learning experience, and the teacher had them write a couple of paragraphs about the trip and what they learned. But 5th grade teacher was horrible about things and after that year we started going in the summer in at the end of August when crowds were low.

Wondering how you made out with this when you asked at the Parent/Teacher Conference. While I am not a teacher, I am in the state's largest teachers' union and, frankly, I am not too surprised that you did not receive any replies here since, as you noted, schools so not allow taking days off for vacation. That said, I think that there are some schools that are more lenient than others (especially for the younger children.)
It actually went quite well. :)
Teacher told me that MA actually does not require you to attend kindergarten ( below the mandatory school age), and any absence a week or less should not impact her progress in K.
She is actually quite open to it and told us feel free to take into account plane price etc and plan accordingly. :D

I'm not a teacher, either, but I'd note that teachers generally did not object when our kids were younger. We stopped taking the kids out of school for vacations when they hit late middle school, mostly because even when getting assignments ahead of time, it was too hard on them for making up the work. Given that we were looking to ensure our kids didn't fall behind and completed assignments on vacation, I think that is why we never had issues with the teachers. We also DID try to minimize the amount of time they would miss.
Thanks!
Indeed we have no plan for any school absence once she goes to first grade and start getting homework, tests, etc.

We went in April until my kids started 5th-6th grades, then like others have mentioned it became too hard with all the makeup work they had to do as we would usually go a couple of extra days in addition to the school vacation week. While we did the April trips teachers from 1st through 4th grade were great and we made it a learning experience, and the teacher had them write a couple of paragraphs about the trip and what they learned. But 5th grade teacher was horrible about things and after that year we started going in the summer in at the end of August when crowds were low.

Yes, once kid start school there is a lot more restrictions.
For MA, probably the best 2 slots are April vacation week (con being the constrained dates and the prices that come with it) and latest August (heat ...)

Actually we are using our last trip (late August) and next trip (April vacation week) as test runs to see what we will do in the future.

Yes, once kid start school there is a lot more restrictions.
For MA, probably the best 2 slots are April vacation week (price being the con) and latest August (heat ...)

Actually we are using our last trip (late August) and next trip (April vacation week) as test runs to see what we will do in the future.
We always did mid-August. Great prices and crowds drop as all the southern schools head back early and airfare was quite reasonable. You get used to the heat and rain, and when better to swim than August? The parks used to be open very late to offset the heat of the day too, that was not the case this last summer due to staffing restrictions.

Last edited:
We always did Mid August. Great prices as all the southern schools head back early and airfare was quite reasonable. You get used to the heat and rain, and when better to swim than August? The parks used to be open very late to offset the heat of the day too, that was not the case this last summer due to staffing restrictions.

She is still a bit too young to be having late nights.
When we got back to AKL from Epcot it was almost 11pm. It was the first time ever that she did not complain about going to bed. Just walked to bed by her self, pulled self up and crawled in. :P

My kids teachers have NEVER cared and always been super supportive. Until my oldest was in 5th grade, we used to go for a week at the end of September. Since then - we have done April, May and November timeframes. For April vacation - we often leave a few days early. We have done a 5 day trip around Memorial Day, and we have done Election Day to Veterans Day in November since we have those days off (aka Jersey Week!). My neighbors take off Thanksgiving week - 2.5 days of school missed….

My high schooler with Honors / AP classes does not want to miss more than a day or two now and has sports commitments…so future trips are going to be harder to navigate!

My favorite “lessons” taught at disney include “learning to read a map”and “learning about the weather”…and there are SOO many ways to teach time! Most K-1 teachers are happy with just that!

My kids teachers have NEVER cared and always been super supportive. Until my oldest was in 5th grade, we used to go for a week at the end of September. Since then - we have done April, May and November timeframes. For April vacation - we often leave a few days early. We have done a 5 day trip around Memorial Day, and we have done Election Day to Veterans Day in November since we have those days off (aka Jersey Week!). My neighbors take off Thanksgiving week - 2.5 days of school missed….

My high schooler with Honors / AP classes does not want to miss more than a day or two now and has sports commitments…so future trips are going to be harder to navigate!

My favorite “lessons” taught at disney include “learning to read a map”and “learning about the weather”…and there are SOO many ways to teach time! Most K-1 teachers are happy with just that!

“learning to read a map", we tried this last trip, she has gotten surprisingly good at it.

“learning to read a map", we tried this last trip, she has gotten surprisingly good at it.

With my middle schooler who studies Spanish - I asked him to only use the Spanish version of the map one year! It’s hard to find written traditional Spanish “in the wild” where we live. We know many Spanish speaking people - but fluency and dialect variations make that a bit challenging for beginners - but the disney map coupled with knowing the actual ride names - was great!

My daughter and I are heading to WDW tonight! We are all checked in for our southwest flights and will be sleeping at SSR tonight!!

With my middle schooler who studies Spanish - I asked him to only use the Spanish version of the map one year! It’s hard to find written traditional Spanish “in the wild” where we live. We know many Spanish speaking people - but fluency and dialect variations make that a bit challenging for beginners - but the disney map coupled with knowing the actual ride names - was great!

My daughter and I are heading to WDW tonight! We are all checked in for our southwest flights and will be sleeping at SSR tonight!!
Oh, that’s a great idea. I may make my kids do that. This trip.
Have a fun time! We have just under 3 weeks to go till our next trip over Thanksgiving this year. The change to the AP passes and the new block out dates, though, means this is likely a resort only stay for us. We have a Grand Villa and my SIL and family will be joining us, and we’ll be making a full Thanksgiving meal in the Villa! As my kids have Wed-Fri off for Thanksgiving, we head out Tuesday afternoon 11/22 and are there through Sunday 11/28. I can’t wait!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter