Masks Overboard

jane01jp

DIS Veteran

I think this is at the bottom of their list of things to think about now. And it really depends on what the conditions are going to be. If it's only masks indoors and not outdoors, it's not a concern.
Indoors only would be good, but with so many governors and health experts mandating/suggesting them outside as well, DCL would be taking some risk by being less careful.

Indoors only would be good, but with so many governors and health experts mandating/suggesting them outside as well, DCL would be taking some risk by being less careful.
Still we probably have several months to go before Disney sails again. By then part of the world will be vaccinated (hopefully) and that changes everything how we behave and what regulations there will be.

But even so, I think Disney will go by that it's the guest's responsibility to make sure you have a mask that fits well and doesn't fly off with the first breeze.

Still we probably have several months to go before Disney sails again. By then part of the world will be vaccinated (hopefully) and that changes everything how we behave and what regulations there will be.

But even so, I think Disney will go by that it's the guest's responsibility to make sure you have a mask that fits well and doesn't fly off with the first breeze.

I hope so. If there is any food on deck, people might take them off to eat. Maybe they could tailor the lanyards to hold masks while we eat and drink.

Masks "flying off" haven't been a problem on rides in the parks (neither WDW or UO) so I'd be highly surprised if it's an issue onboard. As to what to do with a mask while eating, I think that falls within the realm of personal responsibility -- DCL does not supply lanyards to all guests, though guests could certain try to hang their mask on a lanyard, or put it in a pocket, or loop it around your wrist, or...

Masks "flying off" haven't been a problem on rides in the parks (neither WDW or UO) so I'd be highly surprised if it's an issue onboard. As to what to do with a mask while eating, I think that falls within the realm of personal responsibility -- DCL does not supply lanyards to all guests, though guests could certain try to hang their mask on a lanyard, or put it in a pocket, or loop it around your wrist, or...

I haven't been to the parks since this all started (I was in Disneyland Paris in January and Disneyland California in late February - when Bob Iger resigned). Do the Disney parks have specific biohazardous waste disposal protocols for used masks?

Do the Disney parks have specific biohazardous waste disposal protocols for used masks?
I've haven't been since re-opening, either, but concern about masks "flying off" has been discussed periodically all fall. I have not heard of biohazardous waste for used masks -- at WDW parks, resorts or anywhere else (schools, etc.) except hospitals/medical offices. To my knowledge the disposable masks can go in regular trash. Any virus dies over time. Unless someone is trash-picking, it shouldn't be a concern.

I've haven't been since re-opening, either, but concern about masks "flying off" has been discussed periodically all fall. I have not heard of biohazardous waste for used masks -- at WDW parks, resorts or anywhere else (schools, etc.) except hospitals/medical offices. To my knowledge the disposable masks can go in regular trash. Any virus dies over time. Unless someone is trash-picking, it shouldn't be a concern.
You may be right. I'm out over my skis on this one. If this is like the flu, then it shouldn't be an issue.

I gleaned this just now from "Science Focus":
"Strictly speaking, viruses can’t die, for the simple reason that they aren’t alive in the first place. Although they contain genetic instructions in the form of DNA (or the related molecule, RNA), viruses can’t thrive independently. Instead, they must invade a host organism and hijack its genetic instructions.​
That said, it makes sense to talk of how long viruses can remain viable and capable of infection. Some – including the influenza virus, and HIV, the virus responsible for AIDS – can’t survive for more than a few hours outside a host organism unless kept under carefully controlled conditions.​
But others, notably the deadly smallpox virus, can easily remain infectious for years. Historians now believe that dormant smallpox viruses brought to Australia by British doctors in 1787 could have caused a mass outbreak of smallpox among Aborigines two years later."​

Yeah, sorry, I guess I used layman's terminology. With regards to COVID-19, it has been well-known for several months now that the virus does not remain transmissible from surfaces after a period of time (depending on the type of surface). That said, I have no interest in touching a stranger's used mask regardless of when it was last worn. Not sure how smallpox came into the discussion.

There are already other items that carry germs on deck. Are you saying fish will get COVID-19?
I don't think fish get COVID. But, what about marine mammals? COVID is thought to have originated with a mammal. Also, what about birds?

Yeah, sorry, I guess I used layman's terminology. With regards to COVID-19, it has been well-known for several months now that the virus does not remain transmissible from surfaces after a period of time (depending on the type of surface). That said, I have no interest in touching a stranger's used mask regardless of when it was last worn. Not sure how smallpox came into the discussion.
I wasn't really trying to bring smallpox into the discussion, per se. If I had ended the quote after the second paragraph, which said "Some – including the influenza virus, and HIV, the virus responsible for AIDS – can’t survive for more than a few hours outside a host organism unless kept under carefully controlled conditions," it would have left the obvious question, what about others? Smallpox was just an example from the quote of a virus that lasts for a while.

I can't see how this could be a problem. The masks aren't made of plastic, are they?

I think maybe they contain plastic. Here is a quote from the article at the top of the thread:
"Many types of masks, including the most common surgical variety, contain plastics that taint ocean ecosystems and disrupt marine food chains. The bottom line is that, in the era of covid-19, another form of mass-produced human stuff is making its way into places where humans do not live."​

That's why I like my reusable masks. Better for the environment and they held up to the wind on all the coasters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter