Masks, good news?

Anjel1310

Earning My Ears
A federal judge in Florida struck down on Monday the Biden administration's mask mandate for airplanes and other public transport methods.
US District Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle said the mandate was unlawful because it exceeded the statutory authority of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and because its implementation violated administrative law.
It is unclear clear how quickly the ruling will be implemented at airports or train stations across the country, or if the Justice Department will seek an order halting the ruling and file an appeal.

From BBC and Reuters reports just now (about 0100 BST, Tues morning) it sounds like the rule will no longer be enforced immediately.

As to appeals:
A U.S. administration official said while the agencies were assessing potential next steps, the court's decision meant CDC's public transportation masking order was no longer in effect. The administration could still opt to appeal the order or seek an emergency delay in the order's enforcement. (Reuters)
I'd say they won't bother - once it's gone it will be really hard to reinstate it, especially as it might possibly be just for a couple of weeks.

From BBC and Reuters reports just now (about 0100 BST, Tues morning) it sounds like the rule will no longer be enforced immediately.

As to appeals:
A U.S. administration official said while the agencies were assessing potential next steps, the court's decision meant CDC's public transportation masking order was no longer in effect. The administration could still opt to appeal the order or seek an emergency delay in the order's enforcement. (Reuters)
I'd say they won't bother - once it's gone it will be really hard to reinstate it, especially as it might possibly be just for a couple of weeks.
You're assuming the airlines will jump to adopting this policy. My gut feeling is they will drag their feet on this.

Personally, I don't see this as good news but I also don't have a flight booked in the next couple months so not a big deal to me.

You're assuming the airlines will jump to adopting this policy. My gut feeling is they will drag their feet on this.

Personally, I don't see this as good news but I also don't have a flight booked in the next couple months so not a big deal to mI

Many of the airlines wanted the rule dropped and participated in the suit.

Major airlines have already dropped it after the ruling: Delta, American, Southwest

WASHINGTON/CHICAGO, April 18 (Reuters) - The Biden administration will no longer enforce a U.S. mask mandate on public transportation, after a federal judge in Florida on Monday ruled that the 14-month-old directive was unlawful, overturning a key White House effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

Soon after the announcement, all major carriers including American Airlines (AAL.O), United Airlines (UAL.O) and Delta Air Lines (DAL.N), as well as national train line Amtrak relaxed the restrictions effective immediately.

Soon after the announcement, all major carriers including American Airlines (AAL.O), United Airlines (UAL.O) and Delta Air Lines (DAL.N),
Southwest Airlines, JetBlue and Alaska Airlines have also dropped the requirement.

As BA and Virgin had already dropped the requirement on routes where they could I expect they will also drop it for TransAtlantic flights - probably as I'm posting this :)

https://help.virginatlantic.com/gb/.../updates-to-our-onboard-face-mask-policy.html

Face masks now a personal choice onboard transatlantic flights

As we learn to live with COVID-19 and with the legal requirement to wear a face mask removed in England (and Scotland since 18 April), face masks onboard will be a personal choice, where regulations allow.

Following the ruling of a United States district court judge on Monday 18 April, the Biden administration has announced that the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will no longer enforce the federal mandate requiring masks onboard aircraft.

Effective immediately (Tuesday 19 April), face masks will be a personal choice for our customers and people travelling in either direction between the UK and the United States. This aligns with our existing mask policy on routes where international regulations around mask-wearing do not apply, such as between the UK and the Caribbean.

We encourage everyone to be respectful of fellow passengers’ mask preferences, with masks still available for those wishing to wear them. Across our network we continue to adhere to all regulatory requirements, recognising that mask requirements differ by market.

Customers may be asked to wear a mask when boarding or disembarking flights, according to the regulations of the departure or arrival airport or destination country / US state.

I only hope that doesn't mean they dig their heels in on the worst thing - testing. Still dreading getting to the day before and having to do those tests. My friend just had to cancel. That said it does seem to be changing

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle...lift-entry-requirements-end-explained-1576557

2 months ago, the White House were just 'no'. Now we are seeing the above and debates between health professionals. As long as Covid stays on the same path, it does seem untenable when most places in Europe have dropped testing altogether

We go on 6th May

does anyone think tests will go by then or would u book tests now
Personally I would wait a few more days, see if anything changes.
I know that's easy for me to say though as I'm not in your situation.
Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Personally I would wait a few more days, see if anything changes.
I know that's easy for me to say though as I'm not in your situation.
Good luck with whatever you decide :)

yeah I think I will

do you no if there is any meetings, updates etc where they could be talking about the testing soon

Now:
The U.S. Department of Justice said on Tuesday that it would appeal a court order lifting mask mandates on public transportation if the officials with the CDC decide it is necessary. (Reuters just now)
Interesting game of pass-the-parcel there. I don't want to infringe forum rules, so I'll just say "Meh" :bitelip:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter