Masks back at DL starting July 30

We are one of those people who chose to keep our mask (we are vaccinated but the little one isn’t)when we are out and about so this doesn’t hinder us a bit. It actually makes me more excited for Halloween.

I don’t believe we’ll shut down again
My family has never stopped masking up, even though all of us except the nine-year-old have been fully vaccinated for months and months -- and even though we are in an area that is well over 80% vaxxed -- so this is no hardship to us. I would absolutely rather do this than have the whole thing shut down again. Right now I'm just watching the numbers tick up, and holding onto hope for our October trip ... 😭

Also, I, too, have hearing loss and find it hard to communicate in crowded/noisy environments without lip-reading and hand gestures, but what're ya gonna do? 🤷‍♀️ Muddle through somehow!

Like others have said, Florida is a major COVID hotspot right now while most of CA (including Orange County) isn't near as bad. I think that's probably why you see the difference in their mask guidance.

Also I highly doubt you see ANY of the other restrictions come back aside from masks, not just at DL/WDW but really anywhere. I work for the County Government where I live and we have been clear that while masks requirements have come back (only inside County-owned buildings) we are not doing distancing, capacity limits, etc. I think basically they've determined that masks and vaccines are the best way to fight things, and that the other things (closures, capacity limits, lockdowns, etc) do more harm than good. At this point not sure the economy could handle another shutdown. Also at least as of right now, the CDC is ONLY recommending masks and vaccines, not any of those other measures.

My husband also has difficulty hearing, and while he's not quite ready for hearing aids just yet, he makes up for his hearing loss by reading lips, so this poses a challenge for him as well. We go in September, so I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of translating for him when needed.
Have you looked into apps he can use? Either they speak into his phone and it translates. Or they type into his phone so he can read.

My family has never stopped masking up, even though all of us except the nine-year-old have been fully vaccinated for months and months -- and even though we are in an area that is well over 80% vaxxed -- so this is no hardship to us. I would absolutely rather do this than have the whole thing shut down again. Right now I'm just watching the numbers tick up, and holding onto hope for our October trip ... 😭

Also, I, too, have hearing loss and find it hard to communicate in crowded/noisy environments without lip-reading and hand gestures, but what're ya gonna do? 🤷‍♀️ Muddle through somehow!

i live in LA. I just got an email stating from Pantages theater vaccines proof or 72hour Covid test will be required along with the masking during shows. I think businesses don’t want to close and will do everything they can (like mask) to detour that.

I can say I am confident on October looking good to staying open if businesses are taking action. I feel they are doing this in lieu of having to shut down again. I guess preventative measures. I know LA went back to masking indoors so they probably did it because of that but Disney didn’t have to as they are OC.

At DL, enforcing masking as you walk indoors, not outdoors. Still have the people dropping below chin, but not many.
I hope this holds. We're going Aug. 24-27. We'll do whatever they require and still have a blast, but after doing Universal Orlando last August w/ masks everywhere (in and outdoors), the outdoors part is ROUGH during the summer heat (not so bad in the winter bc it keeps your face warm haha).

I'm glad to hear that the earlier report of line distancing at POTC turned out to be a non-issue.

I think that report sparked a lot of the concern that was being expressed on this thread for awhile with the discussion of capacity and whatnot. The return of line/ride distancing would be a significant change to park operations, and hearing THAT reported worried me in terms of a negative impact on our upcoming reservation.

One thing that might impact the WDW/DL policy differences is that WDW had previously had the same policy they seem to be working with now - masks on in queues and attractions - where DL went straight from "masks necessary 100% of the time" to "no enforced mask requirement at all." So WDW is returning to a policy they already had in place - probably had signage for, had trained CMs on, etc., but DL never had anything similar.

Has anyone had experience with younger kids and CM around mask enforcement? I’ve got a 3 year old who likes to pull her mask down constantly and I’m worried now our trip may be stressful with CM constantly calling us out if she removed for a bit.

Has anyone had experience with younger kids and CM around mask enforcement? I’ve got a 3 year old who likes to pull her mask down constantly and I’m worried now our trip may be stressful with CM constantly calling us out if she removed for a bit.
She may have some CMs indoors ask her to pull her mask up, but honestly, the CMs are pretty exhausted and stretched thin and I doubt you'd get more than a comment or two, tops, for a little kid. It wouldn't surprise me if no one ever said anything to her.

I doubt they'll even call out grown adults too often at this point - the difference in enforcement between our April 30 and late-May trip was already striking. They're worn down.

Enforcement at entrance to building and as you get on rides, but take the time now to practice with your little one. Pulling down for a quick bite or drink probably won’t bother most, but definitely should keep it on.

I'm in the same boat as you with masking up (though I've been wearing an Moldex brand N95 since then... over $700 in masks later and I'm still wearing them). While it's not additional hardship, I'm not sure it's worth spending multi thousands of dollars to do a week long trip and have to deal with masks, and again masking indoors is one tiny tiny step away from capacity limiting indoor stuff (so longer lines, or attractions completely shut down if they can't manage the line because of pre-sold reservations etc) or indoor dining being shut down. I'm from out of state and I go big on my once a year vacation, it's not just a quick trip to Disney for a few days... this is so frustrating trying to plan and be at the tipping point where I don't know what 80 some days will look like. At least in the spring I knew even if they opened I would want at least a 90 day period to go by to allow stuff to ramp again, so I had a very clear cut off of "go" or "no go," but now I just don't know where the point is that I draw that line in the sand of bailing out or not...

I feel like this in-between is the worst because now things are open so I feel even more like I'm actively missing stuff I work hard for and enjoy doing. Before I was just part of the world that watched as everything paused for awhile...

I can absolutely understand how some people are just "over it" and don't care if they get sick or not because there's a strong likelihood they'll recover perfectly fine. I have a family member I help take care of that's very elderly so my responsibility is not just for myself but making sure I don't bring anything home... but being vaccinated man, if I was totally isolated on my own... I'm close to the "I don't care, I'll take my chances, I'm young (ish :P)" mode...

and again masking indoors is one tiny tiny step away from capacity limiting indoor stuff (so longer lines, or attractions completely shut down if they can't manage the line because of pre-sold reservations etc) or indoor dining being shut down.
First, I agree that uncertainty sucks and it’s frustrating that we’re at the point of adding restrictions. But I disagree that masking indoors is a tiny step from what you’re talking about here.

Those restrictions came from CA, not from Disney, and I really doubt CA will be doing anything like that again.

Requiring masking indoors costs Disney nothing and allows them to point to following CDC guidelines. Easy. Changing capacity or shutting down indoor dining? That would cost a lot. Can’t imagine they’d do it voluntarily.

I mean, after the past 18 months, we all know anything is possible. But this step doesn’t really have anything to do with those other types of restrictions (one reason I was so taken aback by the distanced line report that thankfully hasn’t panned out).

I'm in the same boat as you with masking up (though I've been wearing an Moldex brand N95 since then... over $700 in masks later and I'm still wearing them). While it's not additional hardship, I'm not sure it's worth spending multi thousands of dollars to do a week long trip and have to deal with masks, and again masking indoors is one tiny tiny step away from capacity limiting indoor stuff (so longer lines, or attractions completely shut down if they can't manage the line because of pre-sold reservations etc) or indoor dining being shut down. I'm from out of state and I go big on my once a year vacation, it's not just a quick trip to Disney for a few days... this is so frustrating trying to plan and be at the tipping point where I don't know what 80 some days will look like. At least in the spring I knew even if they opened I would want at least a 90 day period to go by to allow stuff to ramp again, so I had a very clear cut off of "go" or "no go," but now I just don't know where the point is that I draw that line in the sand of bailing out or not...

I feel like this in-between is the worst because now things are open so I feel even more like I'm actively missing stuff I work hard for and enjoy doing. Before I was just part of the world that watched as everything paused for awhile...

I can absolutely understand how some people are just "over it" and don't care if they get sick or not because there's a strong likelihood they'll recover perfectly fine. I have a family member I help take care of that's very elderly so my responsibility is not just for myself but making sure I don't bring anything home... but being vaccinated man, if I was totally isolated on my own... I'm close to the "I don't care, I'll take my chances, I'm young (ish :P)" mode...

I share much of your perspective and question of what to do.

We try and go once a year and we were questioning our mid-September trip even before the new mask requirements.

We were already missing MaxPass/Fastpass, Early Morning Magic, Fantasmic, ease of dinning reservations at 60 days…and all this with full price for tickets and our stay at the Grand.

Now with masks being required and the potential for possibly other restrictions, we decided to cancel our trip.

The biggest thing for us, is Disneyland serves as an escape from the day/day issues we all deal with.

And wearing a mask and looking around at hundreds of people in masks, takes us out of the “bubble” we enjoy so much.

It is a sad but easy decision for us when looking at spending thousands of dollars for an experience that is not what we are looking for.

I do wish nothing but a great time for all that are going, we will hopefully be back next year.

Ok
I share much of your perspective and question of what to do.

We try and go once a year and we were questioning our mid-September trip even before the new mask requirements.

We were already missing MaxPass/Fastpass, Early Morning Magic, Fantasmic, ease of dinning reservations at 60 days…and all this with full price for tickets and our stay at the Grand.

Now with masks being required and the potential for possibly other restrictions, we decided to cancel our trip.

The biggest thing for us, is Disneyland serves as an escape from the day/day issues we all deal with.

And wearing a mask and looking around at hundreds of people in masks, takes us out of the “bubble” we enjoy so much.

It is a sad but easy decision for us when looking at spending thousands of dollars for an experience that is not what we are looking for.

I do wish nothing but a great time for all that are going, we will hopefully be back next year.
I concur. I use Disneyland as an escape as well. No Early Entry for Resort Hotel guests. No MaxPass/Fast Pass, the dining reservation situation and mobile dining ordering, no daily housekeeping and masks at FULL PRICE. No I will not spend the money either.

It sounds like I am in the same mindset as a few of you guys. While I 100% agree with the new mask requirements, the only reason why DH and I planned our trip in a few weeks was because we are fully vaccinated and we would not have to wear a mask. We only have 1 of our 4 kids vaccinated (due to age) and our 2 year old has an oral sensory issue which causes her to be constantly sucking and chewing on her thumb and therapeutic toys so she can't wear a mask. For these reasons, DH and I decided to take advantage of the situation and plan an anniversary trip for just us. We have not gone on a trip just the two of us since before DS14 was born. I understood this was going to be a different trip, no Maxpass or EMH (we are staying at GCH), but it was still going to be a get away from normal life.

We are from out state (so this trip is costing $$$) and I just can't decide if we should cancel or just go with the flow and take it for what it is. I would love to hear from more people who are there and their experience with the masks.

I for sure think it's a matter of ROI when it comes to something like this and everyone should make the decision that fits them and their situation the best. I'm super bummed about masks coming back in general, but for our DL trip, it's part of our two week honeymoon, so it's definitely not ideal. Also not psyched about things ramping back up two weeks before our wedding when we thought we were in the clear!

That being said, we knew there was always a chance for things to flip when it came to COVID and if we're able to get married (we already had to move from the original date of February) and go on our trip, but have to wear masks here and there, I'll take and it be thankful it was even able to happen at all.

And FWIW, I mentioned this above but I'd be really shocked if other things (shutdowns, etc.) get reinstituted at a government level. It's far too much of a political hotspot, I think most will stay clear. That being said, private businesses can do whatever they want, but I think Disney will stick to following CDC guidelines, but not going above and beyond. That way liability-wise they are in compliance, but they also aren't hurting their business anymore than they have to.

First, I agree that uncertainty sucks and it’s frustrating that we’re at the point of adding restrictions. But I disagree that masking indoors is a tiny step from what you’re talking about here.

Those restrictions came from CA, not from Disney, and I really doubt CA will be doing anything like that again.

Requiring masking indoors costs Disney nothing and allows them to point to following CDC guidelines. Easy. Changing capacity or shutting down indoor dining? That would cost a lot. Can’t imagine they’d do it voluntarily.

I mean, after the past 18 months, we all know anything is possible. But this step doesn’t really have anything to do with those other types of restrictions (one reason I was so taken aback by the distanced line report that thankfully hasn’t panned out).
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Disney would go ahead and be more restrictive than required. I just mean I look at this as more of a general indicator that things are heading in the wrong direction and as we've seen before, things can move quickly. I was really hoping it would continue positive trends and these steps back are what gives me pause. I think Disney will do everything in their power to ensure a FUN but also safe environment, people really missed Disney and it's important to have it back. (I think of all the people that for whatever reason may have had a "last chance" at Disney missed because the parks were shut down and now they're in a position where it won't be possible to ever return. I think a lot of people just looked it as business or people with a bunch of money complaining they can't go play in a theme park, but Disney means a lot to so many people, and just like everything in this world, time moves forward and you don't always have a second chance.)

Again, this is more of my personal worry on if this trend continues and gets worse, likely the next step would be distancing/capacity/closing indoor stuff. I absolutely hope it doesn't hit that point though!

It sounds like I am in the same mindset as a few of you guys. While I 100% agree with the new mask requirements, the only reason why DH and I planned our trip in a few weeks was because we are fully vaccinated and we would not have to wear a mask. We only have 1 of our 4 kids vaccinated (due to age) and our 2 year old has an oral sensory issue which causes her to be constantly sucking and chewing on her thumb and therapeutic toys so she can't wear a mask. For these reasons, DH and I decided to take advantage of the situation and plan an anniversary trip for just us. We have not gone on a trip just the two of us since before DS14 was born. I understood this was going to be a different trip, no Maxpass or EMH (we are staying at GCH), but it was still going to be a get away from normal life.

We are from out state (so this trip is costing $$$) and I just can't decide if we should cancel or just go with the flow and take it for what it is. I would love to hear from more people who are there and their experience with the masks.
My wife and I were supposed to go to NOLA last September for her 50th. With us both being musicians and all the venues being closed it didn't make any sense to go there. Kids were OK with us going to WDW just the two of us. It is honestly one of my favorite Disney trips ever! To be 100% transparent wearing a mask outside in the Florida heat SUCKED!!!! Every single photopass picture we have I am soaked in sweat because of overheating due to the mask. But...with it just being the two of us (and honestly no fastpasses helped this) we just went with the flow. One of our favorite days was in Animal Kingdom walking the trails around the park that we always ignored. We found a trail that no one else was on up and over the tree of life that even had caves under the waterfalls. We had no idea that was there and it was so cool to find that and all of the little details you miss when you are running around with kids. It was the most relaxed and fun trip we ever had. And we spent the night of her 50th sitting on our balcony at the Poly sipping Lapu Lapus. It was a great night. I'd say go for it and enjoy a couples trip. As of now there are still no masks outside and that was the only negative we had. I can personally easily handle masks inside.

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that the discussion here should be geared to travel planning at Disneyland. Please do not include any speculative comments or comments on what is happening at other places. Some of the posts are right on that line and I really would rather not delete then, so please heed the posted Covid thread. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter