Masks back at DL starting July 30

Does anyone know of a way to protect the purchase of tickets? Credit card, trip or travel insurance, anything? My hotel I can cancel and get full refund, I paid the extra couple hundred bucks on flights to buy fully refundable fares, everything I can bail out on... except tickets. I've already spent about $400 on Disney halloween party tickets (1 tix one day and 3 tix for another day in case I can find a couple people to join me) and now I'm worried I'll need to buy park tickets soon to have any CHANCE of getting in if I decide this is a go. In addition I need to buy Universal Halloween Horror night tickets soon which are easily $600. I'm going to have a sunk cost of like $1800 just in theme park tickets and I'm not certain I'll do the late October trip this is all for.

Masks indoors I might put up with (though I HATE the N95s I've been wearing for over a year) but if they limit capacity or close indoor dining, if they limit large capacity events (no fireworks, no parade, etc) then it's getting to the point of not being worth it... not when theme park tickets are full price, Disneyland Hotel is averaging $500 a night after tax... full price on everything but limited experience and uncomfortable with the mask.

I don't want to call it quits just now in hopes that new rules forcing vaccinations work, having to mask up again spurs new need to vaccinate, or something else happens to cause this surge to drop quickly and continue on the path to opening, I'm still 80+ days out... but at the same time, I'm going to be pretty upset wasting $1800+ on nothing...

You can't sell Disney tickets as a private (non-commercial) thing can you?

If you purchase your tickets from aRes travel, for $25 you can add a "Travel Refund Protection Plan" that allows a refund for any reason. I haven't had a need to test how that works in practice, but I was assured over the phone at least that I would get a complete refund if desired.

https://www.arestravel.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
We are here now and 90% of the cast are masked and have been since we arrived on July 26, so not sure that would have been different for you anyway. Some are even double masked (Disney mask + other mask underneath). Even the front desk people at our resort are masked and we are not staying on Disney property, so this requirement doesn't even affect them.

Also here and have a different experience at the Disneyland Hotel, many cast members unmasked. I put it at maybe 60% masked for employees and around 20-30% for guests, tomorrow will be interesting.

For anyone going today, just fyi, WDW guests are reporting masks are required in outdoor queues and rides.

For anyone going today, just fyi, WDW guests are reporting masks are required in outdoor queues and rides.
The banner for WDW on the website did say that. It does not say that in the DL one though. So who knows what will happen today. Were heading to the parks soon (and have been here several days) and there were zero signs or notifications noting the upcoming changes.

The banner for WDW on the website did say that. It does not say that in the DL one though. So who knows what will happen today. Were heading to the parks soon (and have been here several days) and there were zero signs or notifications noting the upcoming changes.
Please do let us know what DL is doing. We fly out tomorrow. Not changing plans now, just trying to be prepared.

Enjoy your day!

Sounds like at WDW they are making (or at least trying to make) guests wear masks in outdoor queues and outdoor attractions. Sounds like compliance is pretty low when a cast member isn't present. Which honestly I can't blame people. I think its ridiculous to make people wear a mask OUTDOORS.

Anyways hopefully we will hear DL reports here shortly.

TODAY in DCA and currently in line for RSR in Cars Land. They're announcing over the speaker that masks ARE required while on the ride.

Just an FYI for those planning a trip recently.

Do you need to wear them while in the outdoor lines?

TODAY in DCA and currently in line for RSR in Cars Land. They're announcing over the speaker that masks ARE required while on the ride.

Just an FYI for those planning a trip recently.

What about in the queue / line? The entire line is outdoors. Sounds like at WDW they are trying to make people wear them even in outdoor queues.

Masks are optional on the outdoor line ques....for now (I'm not wearing it). Although needed for indoor ques and rides.

When going through security checkpoint today, they remind EVERYONE that you will need masks today. They didn't do that yesterday.

Just giving info for those to prepare who are arriving soon.

Masks are optional on the outdoor line ques....for now (I'm not wearing it). Although needed for indoor ques and rides.

When going through security checkpoint today, they remind EVERYONE that you will need masks today. They didn't do that yesterday.

Just giving info for those to prepare who are arriving soon.

Thanks, its encouraging to know that it truly is ONLY INDOORS. Unlike WDW.

I watched a live Youtube video in WDW and mask compliance seemed decent in indoor queues. I hope it's the same for Disneyland and people don't give CMs a hard time.
I pray people listen. They are being kind by letting us keep masks off while outdoors in line. It would be easier to use WDW’s policy and I’m sure they will if people are difficult. Follow the rules to make this as easy as possible on us all!

WDW and DL are different parks and are handling the mask thing differently. Also I'm pretty sure Florida is doing so much worse than California so I don't blame them for trying to get people to wear masks more there.

Exactly. CA has 75% of eligible residents with at least one vaccine and case rates in OC right now are not nearly as high as in Orlando, so it makes sense to have slightly different rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter