• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Masking

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizard1

DIS Veteran
Earlier today I read about Universal changing their masking policy. Do we expect Disney to do the same, and if so, when would you speculate? No debates about current policy, but I have interest in knowing if this policy may change before spring break.

Universal and Disney have not followed the same timelines regarding masks. Disney resumed indoor masks in July 2021, Universal didn't resume indoor masks until December 2021. Doesn't look like one dropping the indoor mask mandate necessarily means the other follows anytime soon. Universal doesn't have a union for their employees but Disney does and the union would have to act first regarding their indoor distancing protocols. Certain union members (actors & performers) can be without a mask indoors as long as they are a certain distance away from masked guests and other unmasked performers.

Masks on transportation (busses, monorails, etc) is a federal law and that isn't set to expire until mid-March.

I feel like Disney is a little more cautious of covid versus Universal so I think they usually wait until the numbers get to a certain point. But I also feel like there's usually a trend of Universal does it and then Disney follows suit a few weeks later. I'm going in two weeks and also keeping a close eye on it so we can change up our park strategy if needed. I do hope they give some advanced notice though instead of just changing the policy overnight.

Since they didn't change their policy the last time Universal did I have zero hope that they will this time.

On shopDisney, masks went on clearance a couple weeks ago and are no longer available. That might be an indicator Disney is close to changing the policy, especially with so many state and local mandates dropping around the US.
Maybe but they’ve been gone from the parks for months. I think they got rid of them because the market is just over saturated with masks so the sales dropped

On shopDisney, masks went on clearance a couple weeks ago and are no longer available. That might be an indicator Disney is close to changing the policy, especially with so many state and local mandates dropping around the US.

I'm not thinking so, when we were at WDW in March 2020 all the stores sold Disney Masks. When we went in Aug 2020 they were gone from the stores and today, 5 months after we currently have the same mask policy.

I'm not thinking so, when we were at WDW in March 2020 all the stores sold Disney Masks. When we went in Aug 2020 they were gone from the stores and today, 5 months after we currently have the same mask policy.
There was a brief period of no mask mandates when they clearanced the stock over summer 2021, but then reinstituted it end of July when things unexpectedly went south, after which they started restocking masks in stores and online again.

We were in the parks last year when they reinstated the mask policy. Wasn’t really that big of a deal but I would much prefer not to have to wear masks when we go back this summer.

If I were a betting man, I would bet masks will be gone prior to the summer heat unless something unexpected comes up between now and then. Not so sure about spring break.

Dan

Even if they lift it, to be sure, I'd take a couple with you in case they put it back in place again. I would think until at least summer nothing is going to written in stone.

Any one of the few who have any information on this will not be posting it here ... so your guess is as good as any.

When we booked July they were required, when we got there they were not. When we booked November they were not required, when we got there they were. Just be prepared for anything.

And note: mandates are to protect Cast Members, maintaining staffing and save insurance. I'm sure Disney is working closely with their lawyers, current CDC guidelines and once they are comfortable with it ... we will know shortly thereafter.

Any one of the few who have any information on this will not be posting it here ... so your guess is as good as any.

When we booked July they were required, when we got there they were not. When we booked November they were not required, when we got there they were. Just be prepared for anything.

And note: mandates are to protect Cast Members, maintaining staffing and save insurance. I'm sure Disney is working closely with their lawyers, current CDC guidelines and once they are comfortable with it ... we will know shortly thereafter.

cast members can wear masks if they want - heck any guests can wear masks too. No judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter