Masking on Ships

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were on the DVC sailing on the Wish and MANY people have tested positive in a timeline that indicates community spread onboard.

We would wear masks if flying to the cruise, but we are driving and I don’t think we will wear masks at all onboard, unless it’s a requirement again. We cruised on Harmony end of April, I would say maybe 5-10% wore masks, this was when most of the restrictions were first lifted.
We realize our plans can change if we get sick, and are prepared. Our kid is in camp most of the summer leading up to cruise, we have family birthdays coming up too, I can’t live in isolation and so just taking it day by day. We are also in WDW before cruise, so lots of ”risky” activity. Could go either way. Assuming we are healthy/test negative when we board, don’t plan on masking though. Our next cruise is 4 nights and we are driving home afterwards.

At this point, if you are thinking of traveling anywhere where masks are not required, be it a cruise, a theme park, or anywhere else, and you are concerned enough about Covid that you are worried about others not wearing masks, you are better off just not going.

I don't worry about what others do, but in September we will be masked indoors and in crowded areas. We're doing a short WDW trip and we'll mask there as well. I don't want to be sick and there's more than just covid out there. We all finally got Covid recently despite all that but we've adjusted to wearing masks for the most part, don't find them a problem at all and may never give them up. It's nice not getting sick so often.

Last edited:

We cruise in 2 weeks and plan to mask indoors and anytime we are in a crowd, along with other precautions as much as we can. Will spend lots of time outdoors!

We have post-cruise travel plans and would be bummed if we missed out.

This is so bizarre to me. Why the obsessive testing? I truly don’t understand. Covid is everywhere. Do you repeatedly test after going to the grocery store?
It’s not that bizarre. And going on a cruise for days with the same people on close quarters is not the same exposure level as going to the store for 15 minutes. We recently cruised and we tested ourselves twice in the span of 7 days afterward before we visited my parents. DH tested himself since he works around a lot of people and his work is extremely serious about covid spread. Yes it’s everywhere, but I felt better just checking myself, especially since 45% of my cruise FB group tested positive within 3 days of the cruise ending.

We got off the Fantasy recently, we wore masks indoors and outside during sail away and pirates becabuse of the close quarters. No one in my family got sick. the last night of cruise the Believe showing was crowded and lots of people around me were sneezing, coughing and blowing nose, made me very uncomfortable. There have been a good number of people in our Facebook group for that sailing that have tested positive in the days right after.
We also got off the fantasy last week and saw all the same things you mentioned. Based on our fb group many caught Covid. Our family of 4 masked up the entire time and were able to avoid it. We had an extra incentive not to catch it since we had an additional 8 days in Disney world after our cruise ended.

Just got off the Magic last week and maybe 10% of folks were masked. We spent a week on land in London/Paris/Rome before the cruise and we wore masks just taking precautions that we could get on the ship. Once we got that good news, the masks came off the rest of the trip. And no issues for any of us.

We chose to mask 95+% of the time on our Wish cruise last weekend (indoor/outdoor). I would say maybe 10% were masked on our cruise. Our FB group is reporting Covid positive tests. We have tested three times now since disembarking and will continue to do so, but we are hopeful that we remain negative.
Home tests? If so, I would get a PCR, it is more reliable and picks it up sooner. I got it at a hockey game in early May. I had cold symptoms, I tested negative 3 times on home tests. My job wanted a PCR before returning to the office. Positive.

This is so bizarre to me. Why the obsessive testing? I truly don’t understand. Covid is everywhere. Do you repeatedly test after going to the grocery store?
If I were in a grocery store for 5-7 days in tight quarters with the same people, sure I would. But since that's not typically grocery store activity, then no, probably not.

People test after high-exposure situations so that they know when they're sick and can isolate accordingly so they don't contribute to the further spread and get others sick. It's the considerate thing to do.

We were on the Wonder in June and we masked in indoor areas (except eating) and on excursion transportation. Like others said, about 5-10% masked. We did not get Covid. We are just always pretty cautious and neither my daughter nor I have ever had Covid. Prior to our cruise we were on the road visiting friends, family, and other places for 13 days. We were very careful because we didn't want to test positive and not be allowed on the cruise. We also had 10 days after our cruise visiting Jasper, Banff, Kootenay, Waterton Lakes, and Glacier National Parks. We didn't want to be sick for that portion of our trip either. In all, we had 30 days of vacation and stayed Covid free.

We *just* got over covid and we sail in 25 days. We don't plan on masking since we're recently recovered and the likelihood of catching it again is minuscule. (we are both fully recovered and test negative now.)
Before having it, we probably wouldn't have masked if not required. After having what was a very mild case but still made me feel like crap for 4 days? I will mask when I feel the exposure risk is there.

I was on the May Hawaii cruise on the Wonder and masked up the entire time indoors. Didn’t want to risk quarantine in Canada if I was positive and couldn’t get back into the US. Tested negative at the Vancouver airport so was happy I wore the mask.
I was also on the Hawaii to Vancouver cruise and there were many who masked. Probably the most I have seen in our cruises since the restart. We did not, but many did.

To general "you" out there. No one should worry about reactions from other guests about wearing a mask or not. It's personal choice and no one should be saying anything to anyone either way.

We saw many on the Wish MV wearing masks as well. Many people are still wearing them onboard.

Most people will not be wearing masks. You should assume that there will be many people on the ship with COVID and some of them will have symptoms that will go unreported due to fear of quarantine. Many people cough and sneeze without covering. They do not wash their hands. With that information decide how best you want to protect yourself.

We *just* got over covid and we sail in 25 days. We don't plan on masking since we're recently recovered and the likelihood of catching it again is minuscule. (we are both fully recovered and test negative now.)
Before having it, we probably wouldn't have masked if not required. After having what was a very mild case but still made me feel like crap for 4 days? I will mask when I feel the exposure risk is there.
My son in law just had his second case within 30 days just last week. Unfortunately with this new strain it doesn't seem to provide much protection against reinfection. His latest bout was much milder that the previous one though.

On our May transatlantic we masked indoors except while at dinner and 2 out of 3 tested positive day we got off and the third 2 days after getting home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter