• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Masking in the parks right now

CyndiLooWho

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We are coming down the last week of January for our annual couple trip. Right now, we have no plans to cancel the trip, though we may end up cancelling our indoor dining reservations. We still eat out here at home, obviously maskless, but things are a lot less crowded where we live, too. We're kind of playing things by ear right now.

I know current policy is to mask indoors, but are folks masking outdoors as well? We were at Universal for an event in early December, and they had no mask policy at the time. We saw almost no one masking outdoors (we didn't either), and maybe 20% of folks masked indoors (we did). I don't relish the idea of masking outdoors, though we may in the interest of decreasing out chances of getting ill. I'm mostly trying to decide if I need to order additional KF94s before we fly out.

I know the parks should be less crowded in late January, and we're counting on that helping us as well.

At the moment it’s only mandatory to mask indoors (unless sitting down and actively eating) this includes rides where the ride and/or queue areas are inclosed and transportation

FWIW going this week for marathon weekend and plan to wear a mask 90% of the time outdoors

Disney's policy has been indoor/transportation since this summer.

I saw plenty of people wearing them outdoors in August and November.
I wore mine outdoors when I was walking from attraction to attraction when it was going to be too short of a period of time to bother taking it off only to put it right back on and try to adjust it.

CM's reminded people when they approached a door to put them on and I never saw anyone refuse.

We were just there, and I agree with Disney.Dreamin.Dee - the cast members were great about reminding people to put on masks anytime they went inside. People were generally very good at masking indoors. Outdoors were a split; there were some people wearing masks, but the majority were not. That said, you wouldn't stand out if you decided to wear a mask outdoors. The cast members always wore masks.
On the other hand, at Universal almost no one was wearing a mask, inside or out when we were there.

Hi all! We are coming down the last week of January for our annual couple trip. Right now, we have no plans to cancel the trip, though we may end up cancelling our indoor dining reservations. We still eat out here at home, obviously maskless, but things are a lot less crowded where we live, too. We're kind of playing things by ear right now.

I know current policy is to mask indoors, but are folks masking outdoors as well? We were at Universal for an event in early December, and they had no mask policy at the time. We saw almost no one masking outdoors (we didn't either), and maybe 20% of folks masked indoors (we did). I don't relish the idea of masking outdoors, though we may in the interest of decreasing out chances of getting ill. I'm mostly trying to decide if I need to order additional KF94s before we fly out.

I know the parks should be less crowded in late January, and we're counting on that helping us as well.
I was there before Thanksgiving, and I masked outdoors in any area that seemed crowded. I’m headed down the end of Jan and will do at least that. In crowded outdoor areas, I saw maybe…25-30% masked? You can usually avoid uncomfortable outdoor situations as long as you’re willing to forego front/center fireworks. I thought compliance indoors was quite good.

Thank you all for your replies! Masking will likely make us feel better about taking our trip. We have until Friday to make our go / no go call or to pay for points protection to give us up until day of to decide...

I went to Epcot NYE and we didn’t eat anywhere inside. Wore my mask when walking outside in large crowds (pretty much everywhere that day). We watched fireworks from the upper level of Canada and we had enough space to take our masks off. I would say maybe half of people wore them outside.

I tend to mask up at the infamous funnels where close contact is almost a guarantee... such as the area in front of Peter Pan's Flight. However there is currently no enforcement for outdoor areas.

Currently at WDW. Outdoors mask wearing is spotty. Indoors they go on when people enter. But I have seen a number of guests pull them down below their chin or at least below their nose once they are in the queue out sight of cast members. Even saw this occur on a bus.

I agree with many of the posters. We were there a couple weeks ago. Masking indoors was decent - 95% perhaps in the restaurants, with the occasional people perhaps forgetting to put them on when leaving the restaurant or heading to the rest rooms. Outdoors, we estimate maybe 25% with masks, especially at the parks. In outdoor areas where we were boxed in by crowds or sitting near people, we'd put on our mask. We opted to wear N95s during the Candlelight Processional, which is outside, but lots of people around. There were no requirements to wear them at that show, which we knew, which is why we opted to be proactive ourselves.

We avoided Disney transportation the entire trip, except for boats where we could sit outside. For us, it was worth the exaggerated cost of a rental car this trip!

I went to Epcot NYE and we didn’t eat anywhere inside. Wore my mask when walking outside in large crowds (pretty much everywhere that day). We watched fireworks from the upper level of Canada and we had enough space to take our masks off. I would say maybe half of people wore them outside.
Half outside? we got home yesterday from 10 days trip, including Epcot on NYE and MK on the 30th, studios on Christmas Day and never did I see half the guests wearing them outside. Not even a quarter wore them outside.

When I was there in early December, I was surprised at how good mask compliance was indoors. I will say that I was one of only a few people who I ever saw wearing masks outdoors in crowds, but that was before Omicron.

I will also suggest wearing a good mask, not a cloth one, a KN95 is your best protection right now, it needs to fit close to your face with no gaps. They're actually pretty comfortable to wear, they are disposable.

I

We avoided Disney transportation the entire trip, except for boats where we could sit outside. For us, it was worth the exaggerated cost of a rental car this trip!

we were there over Christmas for ten days and I wish that I would have avoided Disney buses. Drivers insisted that they get as many people in the bus as you could. People were face to face and some would pull their masks down once the driver Took off

We are in the parks right now. I'd say very close to 100% masked indoors. Outdoors, I'd say its about 20-25% right now.

Probably about 10-15 percent outdoor masked. Nobody cares or looks at you weird though if you do so that’s a plus.

Indoors, yes for now, I was lucky to get ther this past July when there was no mandates at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter