• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mary Poppins Returns

I really enjoyed Mary Poppins Returns, I got to see it this past Saturday with the DPB people.
Nothing will compare with the original and people going to watch it should try and enjoy it as a stand alone movie, but there were a lot of nostalgic moments that pulled you because of the original.
A friend of mine said it best. It's like SW Force Awakens and A New Hope. There's an orphan person in both, there's a cantina scene in both, there's a master and apprentice in both, there's a dark side vs light side moment.... but both are great movies imho
I'm a sucker for 2D animation so I was very happy with that whole scene

While I enjoyed the movie there’s not one song that was in it that today I could tell you about.

While I enjoyed the movie there’s not one song that was in it that today I could tell you about.
That was my big complaint about it. Strange considering how great the original's music is. The sequel's were all instantly forgettable.

That was my big complaint about it. Strange considering how great the original's music is. The sequel's were all instantly forgettable.
My 7 year old daughter has been singing the lost things and book cover songs NONSTOP since Wednesday night. The songs sneakily grow on you if you listen to them a couple times.

Just got back from seeing it and it might be recency bias (and obviously nothing matches the charm of Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke) but I actually think it was better than the first. Cleaner/tighter story, greats songs - and enough call backs to the original (actors, song notes) that feel like part of same world while having it’s own “take” and style

Now I don’t know if the songs were as memorable as the original’s - BUT those have also been around and sunglasses for decades - I think this one had some really fun songs “Trip the Little Light Fantastic” and the Book Cover song I thought were great

Just got back from seeing it and it might be recency bias (and obviously nothing matches the charm of Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke) but I actually think it was better than the first. Cleaner/tighter story, greats songs - and enough call backs to the original (actors, song notes) that feel like part of same world while having it’s own “take” and style

Now I don’t know if the songs were as memorable as the original’s - BUT those have also been around and sunglasses for decades - I think this one had some really fun songs “Trip the Little Light Fantastic” and the Book Cover song I thought were great

Went today as well. Director Marshall and Emily Blunt do a masterful job of staying true to the iconic film and lead while making it their own. I can't imagine the guts it took to do it and the work it took to pull it off so well.

I don't think many of the songs or fantasy scenes hold up in comparison to the original. I also felt there were a few too many that tried to mimic/homage similar scenes from the original too much.

Definitely recommend seeing it.

Last edited:
Went today as well. Director Marshall and Emily Blunt do a masterful job of staying true to the iconic film and lead while making it their own. I can't imagine the guts it took to do it and the work it took to pull it off so well.

I don't think many of the songs or fantasy scenes hold up in comparison to the original. I also felt there were a few too many that tried to mimic/homage similar scenes from the original too much.

Definitely recommend seeing it.

I agree in general but I do think a few songs were great and the whole scene where they were on the side of the ceramic bowl I thought was brilliant

I also enjoyed the Turning Turtle scene

I agree in general but I do think a few songs were great and the whole scene where they were on the side of the ceramic bowl I thought was brilliant

I also enjoyed the Turning Turtle scene

I thought it was trying too hard to be the Uncle Albert corollary.

As for the bowl scene I had no idea why Marshall had a nod to Victor/Victoria Julie Andrews crossed with Liza's Cabaret worked in. They kept to Andrews' Mary mostly why work in Andrews from another film?

Last edited:
We are going to see it on Christmas Day and I am super excited! I'm glad to see all these positive reviews here and elsewhere so far! Mary Poppins has always been very near and dear to my heart and I'm glad they went this route as opposed to just a remake. I can't wait to see Dick Van Dyke in this film and I'm looking forward to more penguins! We are also big fans of Saving Mr. Banks, although DH and I always cry like babies at the end! :hug: I will come back to share my thoughts after we see it! In the meantime, happy holidays everyone!

We saw it Christmas Eve with our daughters and our younger daughter’s boyfriend. Except for my husband and our older daughter, we all enjoyed Mary Poppins returned. I was totally immersed in it, and I am not much on musicals as a rule. Did seem a bit darker to me than the original but it was original. Good acting,

2nd viewing yesterday with my DD18 (first for her) for me it was awesome to see it again. For those saying that the songs didn't stick in your head the first time try going again, several are still dancing in my head. My daughter absolutely loved it and she wasn't a huge fan of the original one

I finally saw it last night. Now, I didn't grow up with the original, but there are many aspects of the original that I have grown to love and respect.

I thought Emily Blunt was fantastic as Mary Poppins. Definitely brought the sassy side, but definitely had the moments that showed that she truly cared about the children and the Banks family.

Shockingly, I was really questioning Lin Manuel Miranda being in the film. I have this thing where I don't like Disney putting people in a movie because of their "name." I have the same issue with the upcoming Lion King movie with Beyonce being in it (I'll save that review for a later time). However, he was fantastic as well. Whenever he was on the screen, it was almost impossible not to smile. Trip A Little Light fantastic was my favorite song of his and definitely brought the same vibe as "Step In Time."

For personal reasons, there are 2 moments of this movie that brought absolute tears to my eyes. Those were the songs "A Conversation" and "The Place Where Lost Things Go (Reprise)." If you have seen the movie, you will know what I'm talking about. Thank you Disney for putting in a side-story that I wasn't expecting, and giving me some songs that I can actually relate to in a way.

I loved the opening. Definitely had the feel of the time-period that the original movie came out. I heard people around me that were confused why they were seeing an "opening credits" in that style.

I found it rather interesting the role that Dick Van Dyke had in this movie. It was definitely great to see how he was put into the movie with the significance of that scene and character as well.

I think the star of this movie was the music. Even though I think there were some songs that didn't make any sense to be in the movie, there were definitely many highlights. Having some moments where they had different song cues from the original Mary Poppins score was definitely great to listen for. As I'm listening to the soundtrack this morning, many of the songs are growing on me, but there are easily some stand outs. I also liked how the music sounds like it could have been in the time-period of the original. Most of all, even though Richard Sherman didn't compose any of the music, I was happy to see in the opening credits that he was used as a consultant.

Overall, I give this movie a 9/10, and I can't wait to see it again!

I finally saw it last night. Now, I didn't grow up with the original, but there are many aspects of the original that I have grown to love and respect.

I thought Emily Blunt was fantastic as Mary Poppins. Definitely brought the sassy side, but definitely had the moments that showed that she truly cared about the children and the Banks family.

Shockingly, I was really questioning Lin Manuel Miranda being in the film. I have this thing where I don't like Disney putting people in a movie because of their "name." I have the same issue with the upcoming Lion King movie with Beyonce being in it (I'll save that review for a later time). However, he was fantastic as well. Whenever he was on the screen, it was almost impossible not to smile. Trip A Little Light fantastic was my favorite song of his and definitely brought the same vibe as "Step In Time."

For personal reasons, there are 2 moments of this movie that brought absolute tears to my eyes. Those were the songs "A Conversation" and "The Place Where Lost Things Go (Reprise)." If you have seen the movie, you will know what I'm talking about. Thank you Disney for putting in a side-story that I wasn't expecting, and giving me some songs that I can actually relate to in a way.

I loved the opening. Definitely had the feel of the time-period that the original movie came out. I heard people around me that were confused why they were seeing an "opening credits" in that style.

I found it rather interesting the role that Dick Van Dyke had in this movie. It was definitely great to see how he was put into the movie with the significance of that scene and character as well.

I think the star of this movie was the music. Even though I think there were some songs that didn't make any sense to be in the movie, there were definitely many highlights. Having some moments where they had different song cues from the original Mary Poppins score was definitely great to listen for. As I'm listening to the soundtrack this morning, many of the songs are growing on me, but there are easily some stand outs. I also liked how the music sounds like it could have been in the time-period of the original. Most of all, even though Richard Sherman didn't compose any of the music, I was happy to see in the opening credits that he was used as a consultant.

Overall, I give this movie a 9/10, and I can't wait to see it again!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - I was interested to hear your take specifically on the music ... I had very similar thoughts in that they felt like they fit in the "world" of Mary Poppins (be in the new movie or the old) ... maybe call it the Mary Poppins Universe (or MPU). Might not have as many songs as the original that become like iconic Disney songs - but those songs have also been played for 50 years so hard to compare that to songs we are just hearing for the first time but I did really like a few of the songs (I liked Trip a Little Light Fantastic and A Cover is Not a Book, but others as well)

I am not sure if I am as high on Emily Blunt as others - but still thought she did a great job in a really hard spot. Either she tries to imitate Julie Andrews and (likely) comes off as a poor mans version of her or she adds her own take on it, which she did, and I think that is the better call.

I did really like the inclusion of a few call backs in the music to tunes from the first movie towards the end, but also glad they didn't over do it.

I enjoyed it, but it can’t hold a candle to the original. The music was actually the best part. I felt the story, acting, and singing were all good, but the pace seemed off. It felt like they were rushing to get to the next song. It seemed to have the same number of songs, but the run time is probably 45 minutes less. I missed the gradual lead into the next song that seemed natural and supported by the dialogue in the original. The dialogue moments between songs in the original also allowed one to emotionally switch gears. Although, I have heard/read many complaints that the original is too long and too slow. I have always thought it was exciting, but this one felt frenetic.

I enjoyed it, but it can’t hold a candle to the original. The music was actually the best part. I felt the story, acting, and singing were all good, but the pace seemed off. It felt like they were rushing to get to the next song. It seemed to have the same number of songs, but the run time is probably 45 minutes less. I missed the gradual lead into the next song that seemed natural and supported by the dialogue in the original. The dialogue moments between songs in the original also allowed one to emotionally switch gears. Although, I have heard/read many complaints that the original is too long and too slow. I have always thought it was exciting, but this one felt frenetic.

Run time for Mary Poppins was 2:20 and for Mary Poppins Returns it was 2:10, so only 10 minutes shorter

I am one of the people that thought the pacing for the new movie was much better than the original - there were parts in that one that were dragged out longer than they needed to be

I know I said it for the genie, but the Rock would have also been a better Mary Poppins too. Those kids would have never got out of line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter