• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mary Lou Retton Fighting for Her Life in ICU

A little of that and a little of Doctors can be greedy. So much for the Hippocratic Oath.
I ran into that when I signed up for Medicare last year. The first choice was whether to go with Medicare part A and B, or with a Medicare Advantage Plan, known as Part C. All my Doctors take Part A and B. I had an option of 30 different private insurance plans under Medicare Advantage Part C. Then I input my Primary Care Physician's name, that eliminated 27 plans that he did not take. I put my first Specials name, and that eliminated the three remaining plans.

Always interesting how regional insurance plans can be. Everyone I know on Medicare has an Advantage plan. All the major physician groups, urgent cares, diagnostic services & hospital networks participate in & accept all of them.

Always interesting how regional insurance plans can be. Everyone I know on Medicare has an Advantage plan. All the major physician groups, urgent cares, diagnostic services & hospital networks participate in & accept all of them.
My mom had one and loved it. I fully expected to sign up for one myself. But she was willing to switch to a Doctor that accepted her plan.

Doctors can be greedy? Seniors on Medicare advantage plans cost us taxpayers more than those on traditional Medicare, so patients are greedy also. When they eventually get around to overhauling medicare those advantage plans will not be so generous.

She can always do what millions of uninsured and insured do and not pay her bills. Who knows if f this story is even true or not.

I wonder if the daughters are raising the money so no payments come from Mary Lou's estate if she passes away. Then they their full inheritance.

I don't know their motives or what is true or not. It does seem strange that she (MLR) did not think ahead and purchase health insurance. And it also seems weird that the daughters are thinking about money at a time like this. No bills have rolled in if she has only been admitted for a week. The hospital will usually work with people that don't have insurance.

I hope Mary Lou comes through and can lead a healthy life after this terrible incident.

I wonder if the daughters are raising the money so no payments come from Mary Lou's estate if she passes away. Then they their full inheritance.

I don't know their motives or what is true or not. It does seem strange that she (MLR) did not think ahead and purchase health insurance. And it also seems weird that the daughters are thinking about money at a time like this. No bills have rolled in if she has only been admitted for a week. The hospital will usually work with people that don't have insurance.

I hope Mary Lou comes through and can lead a healthy life after this terrible incident.

Well, there are only two reasons that someone doesn't have health insurance....they can't afford it, or they're not the brightest bulb in the batch. But I've been wondering if her adult daughters know the whole story. She may wake up from being sedated and on a ventilator to find out that her fans and admirers have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay for her medical bills. And then she responds to her daughters..."I said I didn't have LIFE insurance....not HEALTH insurance".....or something like that. It just feels like there has to be more to the story.

Well, there are only two reasons that someone doesn't have health insurance....they can't afford it, or they're not the brightest bulb in the batch. But I've been wondering if her adult daughters know the whole story. She may wake up from being sedated and on a ventilator to find out that her fans and admirers have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay for her medical bills. And then she responds to her daughters..."I said I didn't have LIFE insurance....not HEALTH insurance".....or something like that. It just feels like there has to be more to the story.
yeah - i'm pretty sure with the health connector you can get a plan - even if it covers very little it would be better than nothing in this case.

Its all based on current income and not net worth and they will give you credits in advance so I am not sure how someone cant afford it. They may not be able to afford to use it - that's a deferent story and my biggest issues with this requirement to have health insurance.

It may depend on the state IDK - but I can tell you that in my state the $0 plan is better than the one I pay way too much for. It covers everything and includes dental.

Reactions: GAN

yeah - i'm pretty sure with the health connector you can get a plan - even if it covers very little it would be better than nothing in this case.

Its all based on current income and not net worth and they will give you credits in advance so I am not sure how someone cant afford it.

It may depend on the state IDK - but I can tell you that in my state the $0 plan is better than the one I pay way too much for. It covers everything and includes dental.

Yeah...I don't get it. But....Ms. Retton will be covered one way or another. She has hundreds of thousands of dollars in her crowd funding account. Plus the olympic committee pledged some help. And...I guarantee you the hospital system will just write off the rest at fear of being "cancelled" if they don't. Hopefully she recovers. If she does, I'm betting that she becomes the spokesperson for one of those health share ministries. A lot of people in the FIRE (financial independence retire early) community use those because they are inexpensive and protect most people against this scenario.

Doctors can be greedy? Seniors on Medicare advantage plans cost us taxpayers more than those on traditional Medicare, so patients are greedy also. When they eventually get around to overhauling medicare those advantage plans will not be so generous.
I'd hardly call elderly people in need of healthcare greedy. They need more care, they're not just going to doctors for funsies.

And even if you do have insurance, you may not be covered if your scummy insurance company deems your treatment "not medically necessary".

I posted last month about my stroke. My hospital admission was denied. Not a penny paid by my insurance. I kid you not, in the USA, insurance companies don't consider a stroke as medically necessary for in patient treatment. It is per the MCG Guidelines that insurance companies use to deny payment.

And I have an old school, "Cadillac Plan" with BC/BS. They are still slimy. I am now involved in a very time consuming appeal.

I was saddened to hear this. I remember watching Mary Lou in the Olympics and loved her strength, determination and smile. Don’t know about her personal life or insurance situation and don’t care to speculate; her family has chosen to keep it private. Hoping for her full recovery.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned her lobbying against the Protecting Young Victims from Sexual Abuse and Safe Sport Authorization Act of 2017.

No one deserves to be bankrupted by medical bills but she didn't have insurance and also campaigned against the affordable care act and was vocally against COVID 19 vaccinations.

I hope she recovers either way. She was a hero of mine as a kid. It's too bad she didn't live up to that as an adult.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned her lobbying against the Protecting Young Victims from Sexual Abuse and Safe Sport Authorization Act of 2017.

No one deserves to be bankrupted by medical bills but she didn't have insurance and also campaigned against the affordable care act and was vocally against COVID 19 vaccinations.

I hope she recovers either way. She was a hero of mine as a kid. It's too bad she didn't live up to that as an adult.
I didn't know about any of it until the last few days. I still don't wish death or extreme hardship on her, but I don't think super highly of her after learning more.

I mentioned I wasn’t a fan and Nassar being one of the reasons. But apparently that’s okay.

ICUs are brimming every day with people with various medical crises. Like, seriously, it’s hard to get a bed in one. How is it that this made the news - because she didn’t have health insurance? Did they really want to keep it private? If she doesn’t know about the fundraising, I wonder how she’ll feel when she wakes up learning that this has been national news, along with a lot of criticism? Maybe she’ll just have to go on the “pay $5/month“ plan.

I'd hardly call elderly people in need of healthcare greedy. They need more care, they're not just going to doctors for funsies.
And, they’ve earned it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter