MARVEL: Movies, TV Shows, Comics, and More!

Ryno

Earning My Ears
Staff member
A thread where we can talk all things MARVEL!

I wasn't sure if someone had already created a thread dedicated solely to Marvel so my apologies if I'm stepping on anyone's toes! I just figured there's so much going on right now in the Marvel universe that this would be a great time and place to get some fun discussions going. Whether it be someone who is new to the Marvel Universe, a dedicated fan, or just the person with the casual interest, all are welcome!!

So this is what the next five years in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is looking like as of this week:

2016:

May 6: Captain America: Civil War
November 4: Doctor Strange

2017:

May 5: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
July 28: Marvel Studios co-produced Spider-Man film (Sony)
November 3: Thor: Ragnarok

2018:
February 16: Black Panther (new date)
May 4: Avengers: Infinity War, Part 1
July 6: Ant-Man and the Wasp (new addition)

2019:
March 8: Captain Marvel (new date)
May 3: Avengers: Infinity War, Part 2
July 12: Inhumans

2020:

May 1: Untitled Marvel Studios film (new addition)
July 10: Untitled Marvel Studios film (new addition)
November 6: Untitled Marvel Studios film (new addition)

I would bank some money on one of the films from 2020 being a Spider-man sequel...but I don't know if Disney would have included that in their announcement since it's a co-produced venture with Sony. I also wouldn't be surprised if one of the 2020 movies isn't another Guardians of the Galaxy sequel. I have my fingers crossed it is!! I also think it's interesting that there are going to be two movies, Ant-man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel, in between the Avengers Infinity War. I'm wondering this that means that they are two separate movies entirely dealing with the same villain, Thanos, and plot, the Infinity stones and gauntlet. It'll be curious to see how those two movies impact, if they impact at all, the Infinity War storyline, or if those movies are about how those particular characters find their place and inclusion in the Infinity Wars storyline. Only time will tell for now.

Stupid question because I'm just not as up to date on these things as I wish I was, but isn't the X-Men franchise a Marvel thing? Or are they owned by 20th Century Fox, so Deadpool and those movies wouldn't be included?

Stupid question because I'm just not as up to date on these things as I wish I was, but isn't the X-Men franchise a Marvel thing? Or are they owned by 20th Century Fox, so Deadpool and those movies wouldn't be included?

Not a stupid question at all. X-Men, Deadpool etc. are all Marvel properties but marvel does not own the movie licenses for them. They "sold" the rights to other studios so those other studios "own" those characters....at least in the movie sense. Since 2008, Marvel has been setting up the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" which legally can only includes the properties Marvel owns. (Unless Marvel partners with another studio that owns the rights to character, like they are partnering with Sony on Spider-man.) So for Disney, the only things that really count are the ones that come out of Marvel Studios. That's why Disney/Marvel is not on the hook for the HUGE flop that was The Fantastic Four this summer.

Here's a quick visual guide from the Geek Twins that will give you a quick overview of who owns what when it comes to Marvel at the movies. BTW - This Marvel Licensing this is the same reason it will be a while before we get Marvel characters in Disney World. Universal currently has the rights to those characters within like 250 miles of Orlando.
Marvel-Characters-Movie-Studio-Ownership-570x456.jpg

Hey Ryno, is Inhumans still on the board? I've been getting some strong rumours from the people who went to NY Comic Con that Marvel has cancelled it? Either way, I like the idea of a Spider Man sequels but I'm not sure about Guardians 3 though. Do they all have contracts through 3+ films?

The Marvel rights sell-off happened when the company was going bankrupt in the late 1990's. The sale of the rights to other studios actually saved the company. At the time, X-Men, Spider-Man, Daredevil, etc. were the hot properties and nobody would have thought of making movies of Iron Man and the Avengers related characters. This turned out to be good luck for Marvel when they changed from a film licensing company to a studio. They originally partnered with Paramount as a distributor for their in-house films, but after the Disney buyout that all changed of course.

The bummer is that as long as Fox keeps making X-Men and Fantastic Four movies every few years they keep the rights in perpetuity. That's why they rushed out this summer's rather awful FF movie as it helps them retain the rights. Of course, they may have killed the franchise making siad rights worthless, but that happens sometimes.

Hey Ryno, is Inhumans still on the board? I've been getting some strong rumours from the people who went to NY Comic Con that Marvel has cancelled it? Either way, I like the idea of a Spider Man sequels but I'm not sure about Guardians 3 though. Do they all have contracts through 3+ films?
I hear the Inhumans movie may be off. I think Agents of Shield is going to explore that story line more then originally thought so by the time the movie rolls around, the show will have exhausted the storyline. As far as Guardians goes, my understanding is that almost all actors, when signing with Marvel, sign for 6-9 movies now. I think most are for 6. Sam Jackson was for 9.

The Marvel rights sell-off happened when the company was going bankrupt in the late 1990's. The sale of the rights to other studios actually saved the company. At the time, X-Men, Spider-Man, Daredevil, etc. were the hot properties and nobody would have thought of making movies of Iron Man and the Avengers related characters. This turned out to be good luck for Marvel when they changed from a film licensing company to a studio. They originally partnered with Paramount as a distributor for their in-house films, but after the Disney buyout that all changed of course.

The bummer is that as long as Fox keeps making X-Men and Fantastic Four movies every few years they keep the rights in perpetuity. That's why they rushed out this summer's rather awful FF movie as it helps them retain the rights. Of course, they may have killed the franchise making siad rights worthless, but that happens sometimes.

I don't mind FOX owning X-Men. I say they've actually upped their X-Men game quite a bit in the last few years and I am very excited to see what X-Men Apocalypse looks like as well as the third Wolverine movie.

It's not a stupid question! That's why I wanted to start this thread. I wasn't sure if I should include all Marvel properties in that list or just Marvel/Disney properties. Some other studios still own the rights to other Marvel properties. The biggest property owner currently is FOX. Any preexsting contracts continue to be honored. As long as a studio makes a film every few years they will retain the rights to that Marvel property. It doesn't always work out though. In the case of Blade and Daredevil, FOX could not get a movie going fast enough and the rights to those two properties reverted back to Marvel. I have to say, I'm so thrilled with what they did with Daredevil. If you haven't seen it, I absolutely recommend signing up for Netflix for this show alone. It's fantastic. I was skeptical, but it's up there in one of the best things Marvel Studios has done.

I don't mind FOX owning X-Men. I say they've actually upped their X-Men game quite a bit in the last few years and I am very excited to see what X-Men Apocalypse looks like as well as the third Wolverine movie.

I dunno. While the X-Men franchise has been way better than Fantastic Four (or Fox's Daredevil), I can't say I love them. I absolutely hated DOFP. I was hoping for "First Class Part 2" but instead got X-Men 2.5. First Class is the best one for me. I also very much dislike X2 (even more so than X3 which I find watchable). I do also like the second Wolverine movie, but I was disappointed that the end stinger literally had nothing to do with DOFP, which was just a mess in my opinion. I know the end of DOFP kinda soft-rebooted the continuity, but I'll have a hard time getting excited about Apocalypse.

Update: Well, looks like this rumor may be false. Too bad!

Orginal Post:
Looks like that info-graphic might need an update. Word on the street is that Marvel has traded X-Men television rights to Fox for all Fantastic Four and related character film rights. This has been suspected for a while, especially after the box-office bomb that was Josh Trank's Fantastic 4 movie. Of course, FF might be a tainted property so they are not talking about another movie for them until 2020, but the characters are all fair game, including the true big-bad of the Marvel Universe, Doctor Doom! They can also use Skrulls, Silver Surfer, Galactus, Annihilus (he'd fit perfect in GOTG films), and several other FF related chatacters that it was rumored that they couldn't before (I'm not sure as to all the rights included).

I suspect they may "backdoor" the characters into other films first, like the Avengers Infinity War films, before giving them a non-origin solo outing, kinda how they are handling Spider-Man.

Last edited:
I saw a Collider article on the fantastic four rights but they went back on their word. Is anyone else confirming it? I wish Marvel had the four. They have been so abused in movies.

http://collider.com/fantastic-four-movie-rights-marvel-fox/
It came out shortly after that these rumors were false. Marvel Cinematic does not have the Fantastic Four rights in any capacity. The rumors were that Fox could make X-MEN TV programming if Marvel could make Fantastic Four movie programming. While I think both of those have great potential, I do not foresee Fox giving up the rights any time soon, which means we will probably see another terrible FF movie in approximately 6 years.

Can't decide if I'm more excited for Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 or Captain America :') such an exciting time! Does anybody watch Agents of Shield?

^ I love AoS. The show has gotten really good and is one of my most anticipated shows of the week.

^ I love AoS. The show has gotten really good and is one of my most anticipated shows of the week.
There is just so much going on at the moment! Didn't think I would like the direction they took with Coulson as director but my other half made me stick with it and I'm so glad I did! I love May so much too, she is just an awesome character.

There is just so much going on at the moment! Didn't think I would like the direction they took with Coulson as director but my other half made me stick with it and I'm so glad I did! I love May so much too, she is just an awesome character.

I sorta miss Coulson's suits, but still love the character. Last night's episode was pretty good. I wonder what "it" is. I kinda feel bad for Fitz though; he tries so hard!

Just saw the latest Jessica Jones trailer. I'll be honest in that I never really gave any thought to Jessica Jones, I really don't even know who she is. But, after the trailer, I can't wait to find out.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this plays out. It feels to me that the show is a sort of dichotamy, the physical prowess and gifts of Jessica Jones against the mind manipulation of Kilgrave. What use is strength, if it can be turned against you, or worse yet, turned onto the innocent.

Marvel is just riding high right now. Standalone films and tv shows that work, but are all pieces of one great big universe.

I really think that DC wishes they could have that kind of set up for their characters....but it just all seems a mess right now. Shows that have no bearing on upcoming films, and vice versa. That's not to say that the shows are not good, but they all play in different sandboxes and have very little or no connectivity. Just look at Batman. There's the Michael Keaton/Val Kilmer/George Clooney versions, which don't inhabit the same world as as the Nolan versions, which do not inhabit the same world as the Affleck Batman, which have nothing to do with the "Gotham" young bruce wayne world.

While it can be said that the Spiderman situation is similar to this mess, it's on it's way to be cleared up and join the MCU ranks. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter