Marty Sklar's Book Signing - Magical Experience?

kcb1dizbksfan

Mouseketeer
Did anyone attend yesterdays and/or todays book signing?

How was the experience?

I was told by a CM today that todays signing at DTD at The Art of Disney had a line starting at 7 am and of course the signing was only for 90 minutes and then Marty headed back to the airport.

If you get a book that is signed that is great, but its not like he was signing books before or after the actual signing event and so if you had a long line of people in front of you and you did not get there early, you were out of luck.

So who attended the signings and how did it work out for you?

My son and a friend were there. He was able to get Mr. Sklars' book signed for me. Mr. Sklar also looked through and signed a book that my son had found at a flea market. He posed for photos & talked with both of them (they are both cast members). My son(Tony) was just amazed and actually star struck! He said that he was kind and full of inspiration for both of them.

Sadly after my overnight travel we somehow were too late to get a wristband for the signing. We arrived well before the event but people were camped out to the point of being out of luck. Checking into POR tomorrow.

Very nice . . . Marty signed my Imagineering book after his presentation during DAP1 a few years ago . . . I just received my signed copy of his book today. As a collector of Disney related books, I typically purchase a reader and a signed copy by the author ... if possible and then the signed copy never sees the light of day.

When you read his book . . . two more chapters to go for me . . . you realize what a living legend he actually is . . . its hard to believe one person can cite so many pioneering experiences.

I am glad the experience was favorable . . . I really wish I was there today.

I got to DTD around 9 and got the green wrist ban. Got the book and he signed it, it was really cool, such a humble man for what he has done.

I was at DHS on Wednesday. I got there before the park technically opened. Around 8:40 am. I was let straight into the park and straight to Writer's Stop. The line was already so long and it was only 8:45. The "standby" wristbands ran out 3 people in front of me. He was supposed to leave at 11am. Ended up staying until noon. I never made it in but, Disney management, and of course, Mr. Sklar, was awesome. Once the majority of the 200 people behind me left the line and we refused to leave until we saw Marty leaving, managers started collecting our books and brought them in to Marty to sign really quick. Then brought them back out to us. The last 25 or so of us left were all calm and orderly. We just didn't want to leave on the chance he may stay. He had already stayed an hour longer so, it was worth it. It was sad that the last of us didn't get a chance to personally meet him but, I can tell you that we were all very grateful for everything Disney and Mr. Sklar did to make sure we left with signed books.

Cast Members kept coming around with cookie samples and streetmosphere cast members kept us entertained the entire time. It was definitely a fun experience.

Ok . . . good. I am glad you at least received your signed copy of the book.
Disney is very good about the Streetmosphere CM's . . . never heard that termed coined before and its appropriate . . . I think I will use that as part of my Disney jargon.

That's really cool that they were able to get those extra autographs after the event ended!
congrats! :thumbsup2

Right out of the gate, a couple of quick observations I liked about this book, even before reading a single page was the larger print size and the relatively short chapters length.

I purchased the book on pre-order and have incrementally been reading it over the past few weeks and finished the last chapter today.

While this is an autobiography of Marty Sklar, the narrative within the entire book doesn’t at all seem self-effacing or self-aggrandizing by the author, but rather he describes his life more as a lifelong Disney story and journey and introduces the reader to so many other people into his narrative that you almost forget the book is about Marty Sklar. I felt very drawn into the situations Marty describes so vividly in his book, that I almost felt like I was attending the same meetings with him when he and other Disney Execs were travelling to meet prospective financiers for WDW and other major capital expenditure ventures. You get introduced to so many different people and personalities within the Disney organization that helped shape and influence Marty’s career and obviously many people he collaborated with and influenced.

In the early chapters of the book when he and so many other Disney employees were standing up Disneyland, I really enjoyed hearing of the interactions between Walt Disney himself, Marty Sklar and many other innovators who made up his inner leadership circle. Many people can write about interactions with Walt Disney, but the dialogue may be heresay or many layers removed from the person actually engaged in the conversation with Walt and so you never really know if what is being described is fact or fiction. So we are treated to having the conversations recounted between Walt Disney and Marty and others primarily first hand.

I am very familiar with the majority of the names cited by Marty in his book, given my extensive Disney book collection (hobby) over 20 years, but what really stuck in my mind was how The Walt Disney Company was able to so successfully attract and retain some of the best and brightest talent at a time when theme park creation was very limited and the identification and hiring of such exceptional talent in both Imagineering and feature animation with the nine old men and many others is simply mind-boggling.

So as I progressed in reading through further chapters in the book, it becomes very obvious that even the Disney dynasty cannot rest on their laurels in being self-content with their prior successes in the construction of Disneyland and how the Florida Project and the construction of Disney World and attracting the right financiers was a lot of work for Marty and many other luminaries in the company. I think you get more of a collective “we” vs “I” when Marty discusses the level of effort to bring Imagineering innovations to life and other business related Imagineering ventures. Someone to be successful at Marty’s level not only has to have the technological know-how, but the business acumen and strategic planning abilities to make dreams a reality. But additionally, to be an effective leader, you need a lot of soft skills as well and I enjoyed reading Marty’s personal notes he hand wrote to people in his organization that he recognized for their efforts. This practice made me think how this inexpensive positive reinforcement practice is so lacking by many “managers” I have dealt with over the years . . . I intentionally left of the labeling of “leaders” in my description, because this is an Art that is barely practiced today from my experiences and is sorely needed in todays corporate leaders.

Clearly there was no love lost between Marty in Imagineering and some in Disney Operations, particularly in the discussion about the deterioration in the overall maintenance in some of the parks and the corporate reporting structure with Imagineering falling under the control of Operations at one point.

It really took someone who had Marty’s gravitas and deep history and personal working relationship with Walt, to stand-up to what he observed was wrong and have the political courage to recommend a course correction when short-term financial gains through merchandising superseded the long term development and nurturing of the creative content which allows for any long term merchandising to be successful in the first place.

When you finish reading this book and you begin the process of distancing yourself from the people, processes and technology innovation described throughout the book and you begin to analyze the underlying themes and messaging, the one pattern you can detect in almost every chapter is about leadership, as previously noted. While the book is about Marty Sklar and his lifelong working journey as the head of Disney Imagineering, but yet again, he cites very good examples of other bona fide risk takers and pioneering collaborators at Disney who created the magic throughout the Disney enterprise and cites their leadership successes (e.g. To name only a few noteworthy luminaries like John Hench, Herb Ryman, and particularly Marc Davis who was a double creative threat as both a master animator and Imagineer were all “rock stars” in their day and their legacy continues today) .

Walt Disney knew what he wanted in the end result, but I don’t think from reading this book that he was in any way prescriptive in telling his direct reports, what exactly he wanted in the end product. Walt hired you for your creative talents and it sounded like he gave his people plenty of rope in the creative process, but it seems that his team were measured by their results and not necessarily their efforts and direct praise from him would be more the exception rather than the rule and communicated more circuitous than perhaps some would have preferred.

In conclusion, the only area that I personally would have liked to have seen discussed in the book was perhaps less of the Art of the Deal from a business focus and equal time given to discussions on what Imagineering does best and that is in it’s technological innovations. Perhaps a chapter or two discussing the Imagineering creative processes and perhaps discussion of the Imagineering that never was (similar to a book released many years ago describing the Disney animation that never was). Being a technical person, I would like to have heard about Imagineer successes and failures. But with that being said, I also realize that it’s a fine balance that has to be walked between a discussion in the abstract and the risk of divulging any proprietary Disney Intellectual Property (IP). Perhaps a sequel book for Marty to think about writing for his second book, might be taking a proverbial page out of Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnson’s Disney Animation Illusion of Life book, but obviously discussing Imagineering not animation and would not duplicate other previous publications describing the Imagineering creative processes and product.

Has anyone else read part or the entire book and what are your individual thoughts so far?

I went with 2 friends on the 11th, we got in line around 9AM, waited 2.5 hours, didn't get in. About 10 people ahead of us, they said they tried to get people to move faster with less talk and photos but they couldn't.

My friends went to DTD the next day to try again and took my books, they got in that time.

I went with 2 friends on the 11th, we got in line around 9AM, waited 2.5 hours, didn't get in. About 10 people ahead of us, they said they tried to get people to move faster with less talk and photos but they couldn't.

My friends went to DTD the next day to try again and took my books, they got in that time.

90 minutes goes quick for any book signing and of course the time used for interactions . . . and that window closes real quick . . . DTD was a better move just by virtue of having so many guests at DHS the prior day who may or may not have even been aware of the book signing until that day.

I don't believe his book signing tour is that long . . . Disneyland, a few book stores on the left coast, Ryman Arts and WDW . . . I too feel fortunate in having a signed copy despite not physically being at the signing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter