Married, with Children - New to DL!

toolprincess

Earning My Ears
Hi, all. We're new to the big "D" experience. We're planning a mid-March 2006 5-day park hopper pass, 4 night vacation. We are trying to decide between the Candy Cane Inn and the Paradise Pier. It's only $150 more to stay at PPH with the $150 resort gift card incentive. We have a 6 year old and our youngest will be a little over 2.5 when we go. Both girls. We're driving in from New Mexico. Leaning towards the PPH just because of the kiddos. Suggestions? :wizard:

Welcome to the DISboards, toolprincess!

Five days at DLR is great! You'll have plenty of time to do everything (and all the best things more than once). March is a lovely time of year and even if the week you go is during school break (therefore a busier time) five days will be plenty.

Have you done any research yet? I recommend you do lots of reading of current and old threads and also visit the Disneyland trip reports....that's one of the BEST places to discover what things you'd like to do and see. Then after a bit of that post questions on specific topics, like dining, attractions, etc.

I can't speak on the topic of Candy Cane versus Paradise Pier as I haven't stayed at either one. There's a lot to be said for staying 'on property' as far as atmosphere and 'feel' go. Candy Cane is well liked and quite close to the park entrance.....possibly closer that Paradise Pier is to the Plaza. If I remember correctly from walking past Candy Cane, it is a motel like set up, that is to say room doors open to the outside. PP is a true hotel with a lobby and rooms open to inside hallways (kind of like the difference between a deluxe and a moderate at WDW). The pool at PP isn't anything special (though it has been redone and I think they added a slide), but you are allowed to use the Neverland pool at the Disneyland Hotel also.
I be arriving in Disneyland in about 46 hours! Five nights at a time share (Peacock Suites) to have a last hurrah before my AP expires

I think that you will find Candy Cane to be a quicker walk. PP used to have a private entrance to DCA but that has been closed, so now the it is quite a walk just to get to Downtown Disney not to mention the parks. I've stayed at Candy Cane Inn in the 1970's but that's not much help to you since it is quite a different hotel now. I like the new renovation and think that I will be making the same decision as you in late 2006. I plan on coordinating 3 family's with a package deal and those two hotels are my prime choices.

Thanks, guys! Jackie, have fun! :) Steve, we were wondering if the CCI was closer than the PPH, but it looks like you answered that! Everywhere we look, the CCI got GREAT reviews, better than DH or PPH! :goodvibes

Thanks, I knew I came to the right place for answers..........

toolprinces,

You are going to have a great time. It is such a wonderful age. Our girls had great interaction with the characters this past holiday season. The smiles on their faces in IASM are priceless.

I am sure you know to take it slow with the little ones. My kids (Two girls, nearly 5 and just about 2 1/2) are great at Disneyland when we do 4 or 5 day trips, taking nap/park breaks in the afternoon.

The places you are considering are all close enough that time away from the parks is an option.

But this summer we did something that we knew better than to do.
1) One day trip - Meeting a couple with kids the same age, plus my BIL, SIL, and teen nephew and niece. Yes 12 people trying to move around together.
2) Did not get to the park at opening
3) Spent the entire day at the parks. By the end of the day my husband had been puked, peed, and bled on. One kid had busted nose and the other was so traumatized that she would just go to our hotel door and say 'want to go home mommy.'
4) Hotel in San Diego

NEVER again will we make these mistakes. What got us is WE KNEW BETTER. We go to Disneyland just about every year. We became one of those families that you look at in disbelief. We now know we will always put our kids above family obligations ect...

Sherry

We love the CCI! We're only staying at the PPH in Nov. because by staying there we can get special park tickets that will allow us to hold multiple fastpass tickets (we also get a free night at PPH during Nov). Otherwise, I definately would not spend the extra money to stay there as opposed to CCI. True, the walk is closer from CCI than from PPH.

Whew!! I'm glad you're just asking for hotel info.
When I read the title to this thread, I thought DL was going to have a new "Married with Children" attraction with an Al Bundy character for meet-n-greets. :earseek:

PPH may have the Disney magic, but getting to the parks from CCI will be easier and that leaves more time to enjoy the parks. DH & I stayed at CCI in Jul and enjoyed our stay. The room and pool were OK, nothing to get too excited about, but I came to spend time at the parks and we sure did. We were there 20-23 and the crowds were bad after the 50th party and the heat was HORRIBLE. Each day we took an afternoon break at the hotel, with little ones you should plan on that too.

CCI has a free continental breakfast, toast, bagels, pastries, cereal, milk, & juice. Saving money from breakfast gave me more to spend at other places.

I can not express how great the free shuttle to the park is. On each hour and half hour the shuttle would pick up at the hotel and drop off at the park. The shuttle stop in the Disney lot has a cement bench and is covered (nice on a hot day). The stop is close to the plaza between DL and DCA. The shuttle picks up at the park at 15 and 45 past each hour. There is a tip basket up front near the driver and we tipped $1 for each trip. We were not pressured and did not feel obligated to leave a tip. Shuttle hours change according to the park hours. On our EE day I wanted to get the park super early and the shuttle was not running at that time. We just walked to the park, it is not too far. It's easier to walk in the morning than after a tiring day at the parks.

Just ask if you have any other questions. I'd suggest having a daily itinerary. We just roamed around the parks and I feel like we wasted a lot of time. Crowds were bad and the HEAT really wore me out. I think better planning would have helped us get more out of the trip. We had a great time anyway and since we didn't get everything done DH says we need to go again. He says we need to take the grandkids, but we don't have any yet. I'll just keep reading these boards and searching for that great deal and we'll be back there soon.

Enjoy your planning.

Brenda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter