Marching Ahead! March 2024 Exercise Thread

Elizabeth Smith

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the March 2024 exercise thread! This month, the theme is "marching," so we'll be looking at the Disney Marching Band and the month of March in the Disney Parks. Kind of a hodgepodge theme, but it'll do!

If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back! If you’re new, welcome to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. You can post daily or just catch up when you can. You decide what movement counts towards your goal - which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day. Since March has 31 days, here are some common conversions:

15 minutes/day = 465
20 minutes/day = 620
30 minutes/day = 930
45 minutes/day = 1395
1 hour/day = 1860

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress:

10% - Brass Blue
25% - Overture Orange
50% - Percussion Purple
75% - Piccolo Pink
90% - Ragtime Red
100% - Grand Green

We’re officially starting this challenge on March 1st, but if you don’t find the thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join! There's no better time than the present to start toward your goals!! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Participants:
Elizabeth Smith 660/700
PollyannaMom 775/600
ShannyMcB 274/315
sophy1996 1280/1200
BonnieF 150/350
WDW_fan_in_TX 595/600
piglet1979 550/465

TEAM 4284/4230

Last edited:
In Disneyland the marching band is known simply as "Disneyland Band." I think the history behind the band is kind of fun!

"When Walt Disney wanted a band for opening day at the park, he asked British bandmaster Vesey Walker to assemble one. The band was hired only for a two-week engagement, but it became so popular that it was held over and still performs at the park today. The band ranges from about 15 to 20 members, and has been directed by Walker, James Christensen, Jim Barngrover, Stanford Freese, and Art Dragon. In July 1982, the band celebrated its 50,000th performance. The band performs in parades, and gives concerts in various areas around the park, with a repertoire that includes marches, polkas, jazz, and waltzes, with perhaps the most-requested tune being the “Mickey Mouse March.” The band has also performed in Band Concert Series for young people throughout Orange County." -- from the D23 website.

1709350683678.png

Thanks for hosting, Elizabeth Smith! I love that a two-week engagement has lasted decades!

In for 1200. Started off with a shift at the food bank, packing macaroni. And a walk, plus a bit of “spring” yard work this morning. Spring in quotes because we’ll likely have several more snowfalls in the next couple of months.

100/1200

I'll try this again- in for 350 minutes, and hoping for a quiet month! That fall in January was a doozy! No concussion, but weeks of vertigo and a gorgeous black eye - ugh! But I'm game for another attempt to get moving. The weather here should be in the 50's so I should have no excuses.
Fun theme - love a marching band!

+25

125/1200

I'll try this again- in for 350 minutes, and hoping for a quiet month! That fall in January was a doozy! No concussion, but weeks of vertigo and a gorgeous black eye - ugh! But I'm game for another attempt to get moving. The weather here should be in the 50's so I should have no excuses.
Fun theme - love a marching band!

Wow, that sounds tough. Glad you're better!

Edit: I believe I have to post what I think I will walk. I will say 20 minutes per day, so 600 for the month.

I am new to this section of the boards and am joining my first chat. I love it. I try to walk 25-45 minutes per day and go 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 miles 7 days of the week. Walked in 40 degree temps earlier this week. Today, I did 2 miles in 30 minutes, 28 actually. Prior to about 5 weeks ago, I didn't walk, didn't exercise at all. Since then I have started. Began with about a half mile walk, upped it to 1 mile then 1-1/2 miles. The last 2 Sundays (last week and today), I've tried to stretch it. Went 2-1/2 miles last Sunday and 2 miles today.

Here's my breakdown so far this month:
Friday: 1-1/2 miles, 25 minutes;
Saturday: 1-1/2 miles, 25 minutes;
Month to date: 3 miles, 50 minutes

Last edited:
I have 110 minutes to add for the last few days, bringing me to 145 and Brass Blue. sophy1996 and newcomer WDW_fan_in_TX have also reached Brass Blue! And the Team!

On the other coast, The Main Street Philharmonic performs in Disney World. It is a 12 piece ensemble comprised of brass instruments and percussion. They play on Main Street and in Fantasyland. On the Disney World website, it says their showtimes today were 11:40am, 1:25pm, 2:35pm, and 3:40pm.
1709616629500.png

I am back starting this month. I am going to go with 465 this month. I am having surgery on Friday so I will done for a little bit so I don't want to be ambitious. I have a goal to lose 20 pounds by October when we are going on a cruise for our 20 year anniversary.

Friday -- 0
Saturday -- 30 minutes
Sunday -- 30 minutes
Monday -- 30 minutes

90/465 total.

Here's the last 2 days combined. I most likely won't be able to walk tomorrow as we're supposed to get some really bad weather tomorrow afternoon here in DFW. But the totals so far this week look like this:

Monday - Was dark when I got home from work, no walk;
Tuesday - 2-1/2 miles in 35 minutes;
Today - 2 miles in 28 minutes.
So, 4-1/2 miles in 63 minutes.
Month to date total: 113/600

Last edited:
sophy1996 and I have reached Overture Orange! And congrats to piglet1979 for reaching Brass Blue.

I read an interesting article today about the music of Main Street.
1709955626698.png
The most interesting tidbit was about opening day of Magic Kingdom in WDW. A Marching band of 1,076 members performed the song 76 Trombones that day. The Main Street Philharmonic allegedly still play that song in their rotation to this day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter