March Trip reports

Good luck, and if in trouble, ask the nebibours, campers usally go out of there way for others.

I tried posting the camper pic, but it was too large haha!

Traffic was great, only had two detours.

That 8 hour setback did a number though. We just hit Tallahassee at midnight. Zzxxz

Yup Ed-we still don’t quite beleive it. A good sleep and 4 more hours on the road and under the arches!

Safe travels everyone!

I tried posting the camper pic, but it was too large haha!

Traffic was great, only had two detours.

That 8 hour setback did a number though. We just hit Tallahassee at midnight. Zzxxz

Yup Ed-we still don’t quite beleive it. A good sleep and 4 more hours on the road and under the arches!

Safe travels everyone!
Glad all is well. Where are the detours, we are leaving in 3 days following your tracks when we hit Texas. Will pass through Houston to just past Baton Rouge next Sunday.

We are all very grateful that you are willing to go the extra mile in everything you do....:thumbsup2

Just takin' one for the ol' DIS team, Jimmy.

giphy.gif

ED

Last edited:

Thanks BamaeEd, that is exactly what we need. You are the best source yet.

That was Terri, not me, and she IS an outstanding source. ::yes::

Because she lives "only 37 miles" from Fort Wilderness.

And camps there about 6 times a year so she is pretty current.

But NEVER from May thru September because it's just too darn hot.

Plus, she keeps up with the Fort on FB (me, I am not on FB).

And she's good at posting pictures.

She and DH are "good people".

Bama Ed

PS - Terri, did I do it right? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

That was Terri, not me, and she IS an outstanding source. ::yes::

Because she lives "only 37 miles" from Fort Wilderness.

And camps there about 6 times a year so she is pretty current.

But NEVER from May thru September because it's just too darn hot.

Plus, she keeps up with the Fort on FB (me, I am not on FB).

And she's good at posting pictures.

She and DH are "good people".

Bama Ed

PS - Terri, did I do it right? :rolleyes:

Almost perfect, :flower3: haven't hit 6 times yet, 5 is the most so far.

Rideswithchrist, Glad y’all made it to the happiest place ever! Can’t wait to see your pictures, if you have time.

wow, 2.5 from go big red state, that hurts. I did a 600 mile day once, many years ago, I agree on the getting too old for that nonsense, 400 is my max now, I'm on vacation, I want the landing gear down and beer in hand before 5 :thumbsup2

We will do 600 miles routinely. And yes have landing gear down and relaxing by 5. Of course that means my day starts about 3am.

I'm a "list guy" as well. I have 2 or 3 going on at any given time....

Gotta get stuff done and it's rained the last four weekends and rain this weekend.... slowing me down! I gotta go!

My lists have graduated to spreadsheets, one for the truck, trailer, pantry, fridge, wife, my stuff, totes that come in and out. Have a few lists.

It has been said here on the board that CMs get the reservations 3 days before arrival date. The computer does most of the assignments and the CMs address anything the computer couldn't figure out and any requests. I think calling at a week in advance couldn't hurt and maybe the morning of the 3rd day before arrival.

Ed likes to bet Chris' truck a lot, but I do have to make a small correction. It's actually a little foreign 6 cylinder. Never mind that one "cylinder" is the size of a Prius.

I went looping through the 2000 loop in September. I liked it. It reminded me of my old time camping days. I was glad I was in a golf cart. I don't think my dually would have made it through the loop. :-)

j

Yes it is a little 6 cylinder, and we should be down to 67 feet over all here shortly, if it ever stops snowing.

Checking items off my to-do list before we leave for Florida Saturday morning.

Fill propane tanks - check
Made out beds and put sheets on them-check
Bought new shiny hitch ball to replace rusted one-check
Oil change in tow vehicle (230,000 miles and ticking)-check

I think I will take off a half-day vacation Friday afternoon to pack the stuff in the back of the Suburban (EZ up awning, folding chairs, etc.) and load my personal gear. Have the electrical cooler pre-cooled and loaded in the kitchen by Friday night so I can just carry it out and plug it in the back of the Suburban Saturday morning. That way loading will be less stressful.

This is a repeat drive of several trips in the past. Not the destination but the timing. We have often traveled on the weekend when we turn the clocks forward. Plus we go from Central to Eastern time zone. So we will gain an hour on the drive from home to St. Augustine (Anastasia SP) on Saturday and then overnight into Sunday we will gain another hour. I think we will make sure we get enough rest and NOT leave Anastasia until the official check-out time of 1pm (I've learned the hard way that Captain Daddy can't push his crew too hard on the morning they lose 2 hours). It's a short drive into town proper for church and lunch though. No crack-of-dawn pulling out kind of thing. It's only two hours to Jetty Park Campground (Cape Canaveral is the listed city there at the Port; next town south is Cocoa Beach). Thus I'd like to get away first thing Saturday from Alabama which is 5-6am and drive the 10 hours via Montgomery-Dothan-Tallahassee-Jacksonville-St.Augustine-Cape Canaveral. It's I10 and I95 in Florida. I could come down I75 through Orlando and head over but I know every crack in the pavement that route from the Fort trips so I am looking forward to the different route (only drove it once this past New Years).

So here is our rough daily schedule:

Saturday-drive home to St. Augustine (Anastasia SP)
Sunday-arrive at Cape Canaveral (Jetty Park Campground). Dinner at FishLips?
Monday-spring training baseball game at Disney (Atlanta Braves & Pittsburgh Pirates) with dinner at Disney Springs (The Edison).
Tuesday-Magic Kingdom day 9am rope drop till after 11pm close. Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern and Dinner at The Plaza.
Wednesday-down day to rest and recover but we have some neat plans.
Thursday-spring training baseball in Lakeland (Detroit Tigers & Boston Red Sox).
Friday-spring training baseball in Port St. Lucie (New York Mets & Washington Nationals).

Hope to see some cruise ships arrive and depart (I have the schedule), hopefully a rocket launch from the Kennedy Space Center, and enjoy some nice temps and weather.

DD and I were over at the Fort around New Years so that's not on the list this trip (unless I can sneak away from MK on Tuesday on the boat and see the stakes/new resort markings around Pioneer Hall).

Tick tock. More to do still. :hourglass

Bama Ed

PS - stay tuned for my Dog-n-Suds Reports....

PPS - plus hoping to get the Mickey's Kitchen Sink Sundae at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor in MK for the souvenir bowl to add to my collection. It's expensive but I'm going to do it.

Mickey-Kitchen-Sink-Sundae.jpg

I think the take-out side of Beaches-n-Cream had a similar takeout Mickey sundae.

Last edited:
@bama_ed, you may be in luck for the rocket launch. The Delta IV is still scheduled for 6:58pm on the 13th. I'm hoping the Falcon Heavy will go during the last week of the month when we'll be at The Fort!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter