March 2021 Cruises Heading Towards Cancellation

Disney is still taking reservations for cruises to Key West in April.
It may sound like semantics, but DCL doesn’t cruise TO Key West, it is a port stop on another itinerary. No port stop is guaranteed. I would not expect DCL to pull those cruises, just modify the itinerary.

It may sound like semantics, but DCL doesn’t cruise TO Key West, it is a port stop on another itinerary. No port stop is guaranteed. I would not expect DCL to pull those cruises, just modify the itinerary.
It's possible that they would just modify. Either with a sea day or a double dip at another port. Modifying would be the best bet.

The point is that Disney knows they cannot go TO Key West, yet they still advertise that they will and take our money. It takes a few minutes to update a Website to notify its customers.

Disney did all sorts of “not-cool” stuff to hold on to peoples money. For example, they took months to cancel the Alaska cruises last summer. Meanwhile we were PIF on a cruise that everyone knew was going to be cancelled. (PIF date was early February.)
Same with the fall san diego cruises. The wonder had already returned east. It was obvious those cruises (and the EBPC) would be cancelled but it took Disney a long time to make it official.

The point is that Disney knows they cannot go TO Key West, yet they still advertise that they will and take our money. It takes a few minutes to update a Website to notify its customers.
I think the biggest drawback at this point is they dont know what can replace it, and someone will complain if they put Day 3 - unknown. All still depends on ports opening up and takes significant time to work through port agreements and Key West just recently kicked everyone off the island so they are all scrambling.

NCL cancelled all remaining March 2021 cruises today, so I would expect an announcement from DCL in the coming days. No way are they going to be setting sail before any of the 'big' cruise lines will.
"Updated December 29, 2020: Your safety is our #1 priority—both on and off our ships. Due to the current global environment, we are extending the suspension of cruises to include ALL cruises embarking through March 2021. Previously, we had announced the suspension of cruises on all ships except Norwegian Encore, Norwegian Escape, and Norwegian Joy. Today, we have added those three ships to the list of cruises suspended through March 2021. "

NCL cancelled all remaining March 2021 cruises today, so I would expect an announcement from DCL in the coming days. No way are they going to be setting sail before any of the 'big' cruise lines will.
"Updated December 29, 2020: Your safety is our #1 priority—both on and off our ships. Due to the current global environment, we are extending the suspension of cruises to include ALL cruises embarking through March 2021. Previously, we had announced the suspension of cruises on all ships except Norwegian Encore, Norwegian Escape, and Norwegian Joy. Today, we have added those three ships to the list of cruises suspended through March 2021. "
Yeah now I'm expecting an announcement sometime within the first week of January. I agree in thinking that DCL won't start back up if other 'big' cruise lines don't start back up.

Yeah now I'm expecting an announcement sometime within the first week of January. I agree in thinking that DCL won't start back up if other 'big' cruise lines don't start back up.

Yea DCL is definitely not going to put themselves in a position of being the first line out. Which is one of the reasons I don't expect them to restart for several more months. I think they're going to let the bigger lines start, watch what happens and then restart, or not, depending on how that goes.

Last edited:
We have a cruise booked for the last week of March 2021. It's all paid off. Dd's school just announced the school calendar for 2021-22. I am eagerly awaiting for our 2021 cruise to be canceled so I can rebook for 2022. I hope they do it soon(never thought I'd want a cruise to be canceled)!

Carnival just followed the trend started by NCL and cancelled all remaining March 2021 cruises. RCCL should follow in a few days at the most.

Btw, I’ve been sporadically looking at this page from the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html
For the moment, only Wonder is cleared to move forward with the next step in the process, which would be the crew-only cruises. Dream/Fantasy are still red. Magic is not even on the list, which means DCL does not intend on sailing her under the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order for the moment.

Magic is not even on the list, which means DCL does not intend on sailing her under the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order for the moment.

They're not bringing her back from Europe. I think they are hoping to sail her in Europe, but with current EU travel restrictions, I don't know how likely that is. So long as non-essential inbound travel is restricted, there are issues, especially as regards Americans inbound.

Which lines haven't cancelled March cruises yet?

DCL
RCCL
MSC
Any others?

HAL has announced they are canceling their cruises through 30 April, and their Alaska cruises through mid-May [plus some later specific ones; for 2021 they were to start the Alaska season in late April]. Some other destinations are canceled through even later into the year [see link below].

Princess has announced they are cancelling their cruises through 14 May.

See

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/pause-extension-may-2021.html
https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/impacted-cruises.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter