Marathon Weekend Weather

Hello fellow Disnney Running Freaks... :yay:

This will be first year in a while that I haven't run at least one or both of the races on Marathon weekend. Figures it would be nice and cool this year.

LOL

I'm from Ohio and have trained for and run the half, full and goofy over the last few years in temps well below freezing, so I know each of you can do it!

A couple of thoughts...

Even though I regularly train in those really cold temps in Ohio, I never really stood around outside very long before I started a training run. I recommend you wear plenty of clothes and have enough hand, toe and head warmers to stay warm while you wait in the corrals or staging areas. If you haven't run Disney before, the wait for the start seems like forever since most folks get there pretty early. You really don't want to be cold that entire time. Buy whatever you need. Cheap or expensive. Just buy it. When you toss it before the race, well... At least you were warm before the start and keep your leg muscles in good shape before the race. Those dollars will be considered well spent when you see others freezing before the start then possibly cramping or tightening of the calves not far into the race.

Bring a really big lawn / leaf garbage bag or two. Cut out a hole for your arms and head and wear 'em! You'll look really silly. :laughing: But - If it's the least bit windy as you are waiting... This will cut the wind and you'll be happy. If there's any chance of rain in the forecast before the start, the garbage bag can serve a dual purpose by helping keep your shoes and (more importantly) your socks dry. These take absolutely zero space in your luggage but can be invaluable as they really keep your body heat IN! I wear one all the time in the corral when running races that start below 40 degrees even when I'm just wearing a singlet and shorts underneath. Ditch them at the start.

Another trick I do in cold races is wear a long sleeve tech shirt over my singlet. (I put my race bib on the singlet.) When I warm up enough, I take off the long sleeve tech shirt and tie it around my waist. Then I'm good to go for all the photo opportunities. :woohoo: Chances are you may get cold again during the race with the sweat / wind / cool weather, so you can always untie the tech shirt and put it back on whenever necessary. Typically this only happens to me when I'm running in temps below 30 at home, but that's because I'm used to it.

Make sure to continue to drink fluids at the same rate you do during your training runs. Cold weather will make you think you don't need as many fluids as you won't appear to be sweating as much. While there is a little truth to this, you still need plenty of fluids when going these distances. Don't let yourself think you don't need to drink as much because we all know what happens when we push our bodies to the limit and there isn't enough fluid in there. Better to make one ot two pit stops during the race if needed than DNF or bonk in the second half of the race.

Be positive! You mental conditioning will go a long way on race day. Good, positive attitude will help you run better than bad, negative attititude. My first ever half marathon was at Disney and I worried about every possible thing and I just didn't run well that day. It was like 68 degrees at the start and I had not run in weather that warm in months other than a few shorter training runs on the treadmill. I was scared to death and my run showed it. Missed my expected finish by over 11 minutes and actually had to walk about 5 minutes during the race. I went out too fast, I didn't listen to my body, I didn't smile and generally didn't have fun. All that training for this??? I was SO disappointed.

Well - That was my fault. So... Go out at run just like you've trained. Chances are you aren't going to win (unless you are Adriano Bastos), so don't fret if things aren't perfect with the weather as I've learned that is absolutely one thing we CANNOT control. All we can do is control how we react to the weather.

Smile when you can and enjoy a moment like no other in racing. Running at Disney is absolutely the BEST distance running you will do with all the magic constantly around you. You will have more cheering during the entire race than anywhere else that I've run. HAVE FUN! (It's harder than you think if you are not an experienced half or full marathoner.)

I wish each of you the VERY BEST this weekend and I'll be with you in spirit.

You've trained it. You've worked very hard. You've put yourself in position to be a champion. All that is left to do is EXACTLY WHAT YOU'VE TRAINED YOUR BODY TO DO. It's ready!

See you at the starting line in 2011...

Mav

I need to face reality in that I may not even be going! :mad:
I'm driving down, and I know I don't live in the coldest part of the world, but when we get forecasts for snow and ice on the roads Thursday and Friday they really take things seriously. This is going to stink if I can't make it down!

For this very reason, we might be going down on Thursday instead of Friday. (We're in GA.) We were going to leave early Friday morning, but we could be getting snow Thursday night, so we might just head on down right after work on Thursday.

Good luck - hope you are able to make it down!

I need to face reality in that I may not even be going! :mad:
I'm driving down, and I know I don't live in the coldest part of the world, but when we get forecasts for snow and ice on the roads Thursday and Friday they really take things seriously. This is going to stink if I can't make it down!

I live about 20 minutes from you in Inverness. Thank goodness we decided to leave Wednesday night. Is it possible for you to leave a day early and just get a hotel on the way down?? I am rooting for you! Right now, I am worried about my 17 and 20 year olds getting stuck in our neighborhood with no heat and on their own without us!!:eek: Praying for the power to stay on while we are are away!!!!!

It has snowed in WDW.
When you have time ask to see the photos at the TTC monorail station.
They are in the control booth, go up to the MK express and its at the far end.

Went to UA and got a cold gear fleece. I also have the hood being shipped!!!

You serious?? I need photo proof! ;)

Forcecasts have dropped with a front prediction firming up and a smaller chance of wet.
The three forecasts continue to align. It looks like a cold half and colder full.

NWS
5k Start – 41F – Hi 54F – 30% Chance - NE Wind
Half Start – 30F – Hi 53F – NE Wind @ 5
Full Start – 25F – Hi 58F – NW Wind @ 5

NWS Discussion
Discussion...

Thursday-Friday night...temperatures modify a little Thursday and Thursday night as the winds shift to the south then southwest ahead of the tail end of
a cold front associated with a deep low over the Canadian Maritimes sweeping across the southeast...northern Gulf of Mexico and Florida overnight Thursday. Surface front should move quickly through in the broad upper troughing pattern clearing central Florida overnight Friday.

Sat-Mon...a return to cold...dry weather as high pressure rebuilds over the Gulf Coast and Florida. Northerly upper flow brings a very dry air mass down the peninsula sun and Monday with brisk northwest to north winds along the coast each day.

Weather Channel
5k Start – 41F – Hi 64F – 40% chance
Half Start – 30F -- Hi 48F – NW Wind @13
Full Start - 28F – Hi 50F – NW Wind @9

Accuweather
5k Start 43F - Feel Real 36F – Hi 52F (chance of shwr) – NW Wind @15
Half Start 32F - Feel Real 18F - - Hi 52F – Cloudy - NW @14
Full Start 27F- Feel Real 14F -- Hi 53F – Cloudy – NW @ 14

Intellicast
5k Start – 41F – Hi 63F - 40% chance - Wind W@13
Half Start – 31F - Hi 47F - Wind NW @ 12
Full Start – 28F – Hi 49F- Wind NW @ 12

As a statistical point the weather service averages are low 50F and hi 71F. Averages since I have been attending (1999) Low 48 and Hi 72

Thanks for keeping us up to date Charles.

Whatever the temps it will be warmer then it is for me at hope. Just still hoping it will be dry.

See you all real soon!!!!

Thanks, as always for the update. One interesting thing about the NWS forecast for the Full is that even though they are expecting it to be colder for the low, they are also predicting it to warm up more to a high of 58, which would indicate that it would warm up a bit more quickly. So for us slow pokes, we may start at 25 degrees and yet end at 52 - 55. This clothing situation is turning into a nightmare.

Looks like it will be cold, but I'm hoping for the 5 MPH winds not the 14 MPH. Running in cold wind is a killer:eek:

Loved watching the news programs (Today Show, Early Show, Good Morning America) weather watch! :scared1:

coldest its been in Florida in a "quarter of a century"

and we're running through it!!

Thanks, as always for the update. One interesting thing about the NWS forecast for the Full is that even though they are expecting it to be colder for the low, they are also predicting it to warm up more to a high of 58, which would indicate that it would warm up a bit more quickly. So for us slow pokes, we may start at 25 degrees and yet end at 52 - 55. This clothing situation is turning into a nightmare.

I would hesitate to put a lot of weight on the NWS as I pull the forecast early in the day and I do not think they update the 7 day forecast until late morning.

Sadly, tomorrow morning I will retire as the officil WDWM weather reporter.

Mav,
thanks for taking the time to post. Very helpful and encouraging.

I would love for it to snow. Heck, if I am going to start in 30 degree temps I might as well see snow. :banana:

Duane

Loved watching the news programs (Today Show, Early Show, Good Morning America) weather watch! :scared1:

coldest its been in Florida in a "quarter of a century"

and we're running through it!!

And all us FLoridians have no idea how to cope, you should have seen the kids at school drop off this morning, I am going to take layering tips from them!! :lmao: you would have thought it was -32* with how many clothes those little people were wearing :worship: man was it cute :goodvibes I got in my car yesterday and had no idea how to turn on the heat :rotfl: and when I found it I am pretty sure the car got confused and it just kept the AC on, thank goodness for heated seats :rotfl2:

At least its still sunny out :cool2:

Kirsty

After months of training and planning I am trying very, very hard to be cheerful about this :rolleyes:, but I HATE the cold! I really do. I pretty much feel chilled here in Philly all the time from November through March, and I was so looking forward to a break from this.

To further add to this, my 11-year-old had a total upset freak-out yesterday because we are "making" her go to Disney and she'll be missing school and dance classes :confused3 (in her defense she was not feeling well, and very tired, but still . . . !). This has just left me feeling upset about the whole trip.

Well, at least I have practice with running in the cold! And there won't be any snow on the ground like there was for my long run a few weeks ago (where I ran in ski tracks)! And we'll be at Disney! And best of all I get to see all of you!

But, boy would I love for that front to stay to the North, and have temps of 40s to start.

When I do a full or half I am always hoping to run in temps between 43 and 48. It is cool enough to keep me from getting too warm and slowing down and warm enough that I don't feel cold. I usually bring a garbage bag to wear before the start as it is great at keeping the air inside warm while being cheap enough to just throw away. I'd rather be cold at the start and warm up than warm at the start and heat up.

I don't like wind on a race day though, at least no anything more than a breeze. Of course a one way course with the wind at your back would be nice but how often does that happen.

I'm driving my poor wife crazy with all my flip-flopping about what clothes to get clean and bring with me. She's walking the half with her mom and thus doesn't have as much concern about various options as I do. Right now, here's my clothing plan:

Sat - throw-away sweats over tights, long sleeve shirt, and vest. Hat and gloves. With the sun not coming up until 715-ish, I figure I'll be done by the time it starts to really warm up.

Sun - throw-away sweats over shorts, short sleeve shirt, and jacket. Hat and gloves. I'll drop the sweats as I get warm, put the hat and gloves into the jacket pocket, and by the time 9 o'clock rolls around, I'll be down to shorts and short sleeves as the sun warms things up.

As my first running coach told me and I think he's right, once you start running, your body heats up to the point where it feels 15 degrees warmer than it actually is. So, by the time the sun comes up on Sunday and it's 40, that'll make me feel like it's in the 50s, plenty warm enough for shorts.

And all us FLoridians have no idea how to cope, you should have seen the kids at school drop off this morning, I am going to take layering tips from them!! :lmao: you would have thought it was -32* with how many clothes those little people were wearing :worship: man was it cute :goodvibes I got in my car yesterday and had no idea how to turn on the heat :rotfl: and when I found it I am pretty sure the car got confused and it just kept the AC on, thank goodness for heated seats :rotfl2:

At least its still sunny out :cool2:

Kirsty

Heated seats in Florida? That would be like having an ice maker installed in my car here in Wisconsin. :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter