Marathon Weekend 2025

I loved the Higdon intermediate marathon plan. I felt like it had enough mileage to train without taking up all my time. I love the step back weeks. I see the Dopey plan has step back weeks too. I did 2 20 mile long runs last training block and it took me 4 hours each time. I do think for a marathon you need to get a good long run in at least once. But that’s the beauty of running, each person is different and requires different training. Just takes the time to figure out what works best for you.

Good Luck to those doing a race this morning!
Run your race with perseverance and cast aside those things that are waying you down. Keep your eyes fixed on the prize! Hebrews 12:1-2
The Hal Higdon beginner marathon plan is good for just getting through the marathon, but it's not gonna be a fun race. I feel like you need the intermediate plan mileage to actually enjoy the marathon. IMO those miles after around 18 are all mental willpower and if you haven't been in it your brain can start to throw some mental roadblocks at you.

Throwing my two cents on running over 3 hours and running more then 20 miles... I know if I just ran 3 hours... I would have not finished my marathon. Those stats that say do not run over 3 hours for training marathon are not looking at slow runners. I know after 3 hours I found new spots for blisters and had to learn how to fuel to be out there longer than 3 hours. 3 hours just gets me to half marathon length so it would not have prepared me for everything I needed to know on marathon day. I think 23 miles is a good length. 20 is still to short for slow runners like myself. Cause that is still another 1 and half on our feet once u hit 20 miles (which is blizzard beach parking lot). And yeah a lot of people were hitting a wall around 20 miles cause they never trained past that part. It is good to hit the wall in training and then learn how to push past it. Also know the stats that say 3 hours or means more injury does not factor in run/walk/run wich really helps keep injury from happening. Jeff Galloway team analyzes the data from all their people and running those longer runs makes it so u can enjoy your race instead of just making it through it and run/walk/run keeps u from getting injured even on the long run days. Also not an expert... just my interpretation from Jeff Galloway method of running and why it works for us slow peeps.

Dumb question, but how quickly does the marathon sell out? For most years, I have signed up for Dopey or Goofy, which has always been a nail biter. In olden days, the marathon used to take months to sell out. I haven't watch how quickly the marathon sells out. Basically wondering our chances of getting in. Already made hotel reservations, just in case. I am done with Dopey for awhile. It is fun, but ready to switch it up a bit...

Dumb question, but how quickly does the marathon sell out? For most years, I have signed up for Dopey or Goofy, which has always been a nail biter. In olden days, the marathon used to take months to sell out. I haven't watch how quickly the marathon sells out. Basically wondering our chances of getting in. Already made hotel reservations, just in case. I am done with Dopey for awhile. It is fun, but ready to switch it up a bit...
See the first post in this thread:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/historical-race-weekend-sell-out-timing.3844193/
It has sellout times for all recent races.

Chiming in on the “no more than 3 hours” training topic…

As a 6-7 hour marathoner, stopping at 3 hours sounded nuts to me. Only train up to less than HALF of the race distance??? And while doing Dopey, nonetheless?! I had always topped out around 5 hours in training for my longest runs, and did at least 2 b2b2b2b weekends for Dopey with the final one being a 3/6/12/20 mile stack. Never injured (at least not from training or running - I did manage to break a toe whilst making the bed once), always successfully completed my races feeling good (I mean, relatively - there’s always a point in a marathon where one doesn’t feel great, right?!).

That said, training for my final marathon was interrupted by health issues and my longest training run wound up being 16 miles, a little under 4 hours… I was surprised to find that I had no issues with endurance during the race. The only major problem was some IT Band pain, which always rears its head if I take a massive jump in mileage - that set in around mile 20, which makes sense. But I finished and other than the angry IT Band, I felt solid.

BUT. That was my 7th marathon in as many years, 4 of them during Dopey: I am 100% convinced that I got away with being “undertrained” because I had a decade of long distance training under me already. I think that’s something we don’t talk about enough - the cumulative effect of years of long distance running. You build strength and endurance through that that doesn't just drop off a cliff, right? And you build mental strength through those years of training, too. No question that I was able to draw on all of that for marathon #7, but I really do not think the same would have been true for marathon #1, had I only trained up to 3 hours. I remain skeptical of the no more than 3 hours “rule” applying to everyone, but can now see how it can apply to some: as always, we are all an experiment of one.

Chiming in on the “no more than 3 hours” training topic…

As a 6-7 hour marathoner, stopping at 3 hours sounded nuts to me. Only train up to less than HALF of the race distance??? And while doing Dopey, nonetheless?!
To go the other direction...I've never gone over 3 hours/13.1mi in training and completed 4 marathons, 2 of which were part of Dopeys. So it IS possible, and I felt adequately prepared for it, and was only super sore after my first marathon....the rest (a Goofy and 2 Dopeys) I've felt shockingly OK after.

I remain skeptical of the no more than 3 hours “rule” applying to everyone, but can now see how it can apply to some: as always, we are all an experiment of one.
This is absolutely the truth. Most of us are never going to be elite runners, and while the science is helpful, it's not a rigid directive.

And I honestly think that some of the conventional wisdom doesn't really apply to Galloway stuff, because my Galloway intervals are like [10k pace + walk] and for "running-only" runners that probably sounds insane. All of the walking likely makes it very different from 'running only' and once you get into really long runs, Galloway even say to walk the distance if you want/need to in training. I'm sure they've done their own studies, and we just haven't seen the science behind r/w/r.

To go the other direction...I've never gone over 3 hours/13.1mi in training and completed 4 marathons, 2 of which were part of Dopeys. So it IS possible, and I felt adequately prepared for it, and was only super sore after my first marathon....the rest (a Goofy and 2 Dopeys) I've felt shockingly OK after.

Just to add to this, all 15 of my marathons have featured maximum long runs of 13-16 miles, not exceeding 3 hours. I'll take it a step further and add that I've never gone beyond those distances in training for any of my 9 ultras, which include three 100k and another out to 76 miles.

I think people get too hung up on the distance of the long run and don't realize that it's just one piece of the training puzzle, with different approaches and techniques in the other training runs making up a larger portion of readiness than the long run itself. There are major training plans like Hanson's that limit the duration of the long run for a reason. @DopeyBadger's training plans do the same. That's not to say that other training plans aren't equally valid or as effective, but given a properly crafted plan, a 3 hour long run is absolutely long enough to complete a marathon or longer.

Last edited:

Thank you to all who gave me encouragement. That really meant an awful lot to me. I appreciate being part of this community. It wasn’t pretty, but I got it done. My first half was the 2013 Princess. Whether I do another one or not, I have 50! I’ve already retired from the full distance with 6, and ultras with 2. If I only do shorter distances after this, I feel pretty satisfied. Thank you again for the encouragement.

Attachments

• IMG_0175.jpeg
    IMG_0175.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 19
Good morning RunDisney All-Stars. It is my distinct pleasure to present to you your March Magical Madness champion, the Haunted Mansion! The 999 spooks came to play and showed that they had room for one more trophy! The initial voting was close, with the Guardians and the spooks trading the lead, but as the voting wore on, the Haunted Mansion slowly pulled ahead to a 33-20 victory. I hope everyone had fun playing and debating the finer points of Disney attractions.

1712495542986.png

1712495616169.png

Sundays are for Disney: Good morning, again, RunDisney All-Stars. With the fun of March Magical Madness out of the way, let's get back to running. This week features the event before the event that we're all here for. What could that be? Registration! We've got a fair number of new participants in the thread and, lurkers, we know you're there even if we can't see you. With registration for Marathon Weekend on Tuesday, let's share tips and tricks to secure those coveted bibs.

SAFD: I don't have too many tips or tricks. With my work computer's security settings refusing to play nice with RunDisney IT to the extent that I can't complete registration on it, I'm down to my personal devices when registration rolls around. Fortunately, this year I've already secured my Dopey bibs through charity. When I do go through general registration, I have my iPad and iPhone going and get into the waiting room shortly before the queue opens. If your queue times are all long, don't fret, the amazing folks here are great about sharing queue links once they're through the process. Those seem to work best through private/direct message (PM/DM), so make sure you've got enough posts to send and receive them now. Don't wait for registration to roll around to get that set up. Once you're in, don't worry about entering proof of time, it just slows you down and you can edit your registration to add it later. Finally, be persistent. The registration process is known to be rife with glitches, so if something doesn't work the first time, try and try again (without going back through the queue). It'll take eventually. Good luck, everyone!

SAFD
Huge thank you @camaker for the tournament!

For tips, there are threads for all the technical things, but the biggest advice I have is to just keep a window open to check in here before, during and after reg. This thread will provide camaraderie, support, advice and celebration for all the ups and downs of rD registration day!

Grateful for my Club status that allowed me to register for Dopey last week, but my DH and MIL are considering the 5K, so I may be in the scrum after all.

SAFD: No real tips or tricks. Registration is frustrating, partially because of how rD does it but also because it’s simply a lot of people trying to accomplish similar goals at the same time and it’s always going to be a bit of a mess.

Sign in to your rD account, open a few windows (whatever you can easily keep track of), have your registration plan ready (who are you signing up, what races are most important, etc.), have your payment information ready, and be prepared to zag if certain races fill up very quickly.

To expand on what I’ve previously posted, I’ve signed up for at least one race every year since 2012. Some years have been easy, some have been crazy hectic; but I have always gotten the registrations I was targeting. Multiple years I’ve signed up family members as well and I’ve only missed on getting the races I wanted once with those (during the drastically limited post-Covid registration where the races were eventually cancelled anyway). I’ve never done anything out of the ordinary; I’m just prepared. Perhaps the day will come when I miss out, but I’m prepared for that eventuality as well. There are plenty of other ways to spend money.

SAFD: thanks @camaker for March Madness! Thrilled to see a classic attraction take the trophy!

Tips - nothing much to add. Multiple browsers, patience, and the kindness of others on this thread sharing queue IDs and keeping us sane.

Good luck everyone- hoping you get what you are looking to register for. Extra stressed as I will be travelling and won’t have my multiple devices. I don’t even know if I will have reliable (or any) internet.

SAFD:

@camaker great job with the Magical March Tournament, I wish GOTG had put up more of a fight towards the end but it was all so much fun! Thank you.

As for tips/tricks… I think we are our own worst enemies in doing this but the system really pushes us to do it and that is to come to play! Use multiple devices, multiple browsers, use incognito to up your browsers… other thoughts: don’t panick even if you get bad wait times, get on this thread and look for people who begin to share queue links. (No idea if this makes a difference) stagger your submit times, do one pretty early, a few just before and then right at 10am (est). Lastly, be logged into your runDisney account on all devices your are using and have all your needed info ready to go.

No doubt it is stressful, remember the year we waited for like an hour past 10 for it to finally open…. But, ppl in this thread are supportive and really do help with queue links and words of encouragement. Wishing everyone luck - but please leave me one Dopey bib!

SAFD: my only tip is something I’ll probably reiterate on registration day: please use direct messaging for sharing queue IDs instead of posting them publicly! If you post the ID several people will inevitably try to use it and only one will be able to get through, and given how fast these races sell out it’s not great to waste time waiting on a queue spot that might go dead.

If anyone is new to registering, Once Upon a Marathon has a great step by step guide. I don't have any other tips to add, other than "expect the unexpected." Glitches happen, wait times go from minutes back up to hours sometimes, it's all part of the RunDisney experience. Just hang on, hope for the best, and come here to commiserate.

https://www.onceuponamarathon.com/rundisney-registration-guide

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter