Marathon Weekend 2025

I’m loving all the advice for completing the Dopey Challenge! Based on others experiences, I would try to take it easy for the first 3 races. Maybe not completely walk, but also easy running. I want to enjoy the courses and characters since not sure how soon I’ll be back. The only thing is figuring out vacation with family and getting decent rest. But there’s plenty of time to figure that out. I did my first challenge this year which was an 8k on Saturday followed by a marathon on Sunday. I did super easy pace for 8k and raced my marathon and got an awesome PR. Got 15 minutes faster than I had planned!

I’ve completed 3 marathons in the past 3 years and I’ve used Hal Higdon’s plans. This past year, his intermediate plan was a great combination for me. Im planning to use his Dopey training plan. Anyone tried his plan?

I’m not a high mileage runner. I’m injury prone so I’ve adopted the run/walk method, which I love. I want to be able to still run as I age and I think this will help me to do that. I believe this is what has helped me to cross the finish line each time for the marathon. It was hard at first to include the walking, but I had to overcome the mental block I had about walking. For me, walking is harder than running.

Good luck to everyone trying to get a spot next week!
I can not share enough praises for the run/walk/run method! I believe it saved running for me! I suffered a significant injury that led to more than a year of PT, rest, multiple doctors and eventually surgery. Post surgery my rehabilitation PT, who is a runner, got me to try r/w/r. I struggled at first with my ego and, sadly, my fear of what others would think if I was walking during a run - so stupid… But I got over it and now totally embrace r/w/r. That was 2019/2020 and I have circled past 50 and am running better than I could have hoped to! It was a total game changer for me.

I’ve completed 3 marathons in the past 3 years and I’ve used Hal Higdon’s plans. This past year, his intermediate plan was a great combination for me. Im planning to use his Dopey training plan. Anyone tried his plan?

I’m not a high mileage runner.

I’ve used the Higdon dopey plan many times, and it will definitely prepare you for MW. “High mileage” is such a subjective term, so be prepared for 5 days a week of running, with the long run the first week being 13 miles. My only caution with run/walk is that I feel people spend too much time on their training long runs. Galloway has the longest run being a full marathon, and people are spending 8 hours completing this. I definitely feel that once you go past 3 hours on a long run, there are some major diminishing returns.

DFW runner, checking in.

Thank goodness the WDW Marathon is in January, because it's basically inhumane to run outside before Sep/Oct.
Houston here. I find that training during the summer makes the runs in January feel like a breeze, even when it is a little warmer and humid. My co-workers think I am crazy when I go out to run at lunch in the middle of the summer.

I can not share enough praises for the run/walk/run method! I believe it saved running for me! I suffered a significant injury that led to more than a year of PT, rest, multiple doctors and eventually surgery. Post surgery my rehabilitation PT, who is a runner, got me to try r/w/r. I struggled at first with my ego and, sadly, my fear of what others would think if I was walking during a run - so stupid… But I got over it and now totally embrace r/w/r. That was 2019/2020 and I have circled past 50 and am running better than I could have hoped to! It was a total game changer for me.

I started to embrace r/w/r when I was training for my 2nd and 3rd marathon. I used it for training runs and my running group joined in. So many of them commented on how quickly they recovered after out 18-20 mile training runs! I ended up PRing by nearly 8 mins with r/w/r in my marathon. As previously mentioned, I am a 2 time cancer survivor and I used r/w/r through both of my rounds of chemo which enabled me to keep running and feeling like myself through it all. I now use it exclusively and have been slowly getting back to my pre-cancers running time, but I don't really care if I do get there. I am just happy to be running. I met with Jeff Galloway at the expo for Princess. There was no one there at the time so I could really talk to him about my experience with his program. You can't argue with an olympian who has done over 200 marathons and is still running at his age after having a heart attack.

Same here in Orlando, which is why I have to embrace the treadmill. :P
Galloway has the longest run being a full marathon, and people are spending 8 hours completing this. I definitely feel that once you go past 3 hours on a long run, there are some major diminishing returns

@nancipants it is the inverse of us up North! I embrace the treadmill all winter then get excited to run in the summer. Well unless it is hot and humid which it was a lot this year. We have had a mild winter up here in NY so we have been lucky to have been able to do our long runs outside. I would run outside more mornings it's just usually dark at that hour and as a woman, I am not keen to run by myself in the dark.

@Zutroy Galloway does have you go pretty far in training and I typically don't go quite that far, but saying you shouldn't go more than 3 hours doesn't seem right. I trained 20+ mile runs and it took me over 3 hours and I was a 4:10-4:20 marathoner. The point is mileage on your legs. I feel that Galloway has made running inclusive and helps people see themselves as a runner.

Houston here. I find that training during the summer makes the runs in January feel like a breeze, even when it is a little warmer and humid. My co-workers think I am crazy when I go out to run at lunch in the middle of the summer.
I got that look from my wife when I went out yesterday afternoon when it was 84°.

I reminded myself that in a few months, I'll consider that a good temperature. Like, a get-up-at-5-so-you-can-beat-the-heat temperature.

Another DFW area runner here as well. Due to schedules I typically do all my runs about 5 AM regardless of temps (with the exception of ice storms of course). I feel that has helped me be prepared for any kind of weather. I'm not looking forward to the summer, though... it's when I always question my choice of hobby.

DFW runner, checking in.

Thank goodness the WDW Marathon is in January, because it's basically inhumane to run outside before Sep/Oct.
I love that we live like less than a mile apart. DFW runner and already seriously regretting signing up for the DL Halloween weekend doing all three races because the meat of the training will be during the heat of the summer. Back to early morning runs I suppose. Sheesh.

] Galloway does have you go pretty far in training and I typically don't go quite that far, but saying you shouldn't go more than 3 hours doesn't seem right. I trained 20+ mile runs and it took me over 3 hours and I was a 4:10-4:20 marathoner. The point is mileage on your legs. I feel that Galloway has made running inclusive and helps people see themselves as a runner.

The research on this issue shows that your body doesn’t see a significant increase in aerobic development, specifically mitochondrial development, when running over 90 minutes. The majority of physiological stimulus of long runs occurs between the 60 and 90 minute mark. This means that after running for 3 hours, aerobic benefits (capillary building, mitochondrial development) aren’t markedly better than when you run for only 2 hours. A long run of over 3 hours builds about as much aerobic fitness as one lasting 2 hours. The term I’ve heard to describe these is “junk miles” where you get no benefit, but risk injury and make recovery harder. Here’s the literature on the subject:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6295989/

I’ve used the Higdon dopey plan many times, and it will definitely prepare you for MW. “High mileage” is such a subjective term, so be prepared for 5 days a week of running, with the long run the first week being 13 miles. My only caution with run/walk is that I feel people spend too much time on their training long runs. Galloway has the longest run being a full marathon, and people are spending 8 hours completing this. I definitely feel that once you go past 3 hours on a long run, there are some major diminishing returns.
I started a customized Galloway Plan in March, after being continuous runner for almost 10 years. Just thought I would try it for something new. And the past several years, I have not run over a 3 hour long run (and ran probably 5 marathons a year using that kind of plan), but I have had more mileage during the week to compensate for that. That has worked great, and I still really like that.
So far I have already had a 26 mile run (60 second run/30 second walk), it took me about the time I usually run marathons in (since I don’t usually run them hard - just long run type pace, about 5 hours plus stops for me). I was tired the rest of the day- normal for how I feel after a marathon, but I was not sore and felt completely fine the next days - whereas I am usually a little sore for a couple days after a fully run marathon. Anyways, I say that because I think the walk really does allow for faster recovery.

It will be interesting to see if and what course changes will happen during the 24-25 season and beyond to accommodate for the test track construction

I started a customized Galloway Plan in March, after being continuous runner for almost 10 years. Just thought I would try it for something new. And the past several years, I have not run over a 3 hour long run (and ran probably 5 marathons a year using that kind of plan), but I have had more mileage during the week to compensate for that. That has worked great, and I still really like that.
So far I have already had a 26 mile run (60 second run/30 second walk), it took me about the time I usually run marathons in (since I don’t usually run them hard - just long run type pace, about 5 hours plus stops for me). I was tired the rest of the day- normal for how I feel after a marathon, but I was not sore and felt completely fine the next days - whereas I am usually a little sore for a couple days after a fully run marathon. Anyways, I say that because I think the walk really does allow for faster recovery.
I also wanted to add that I had heard and then just found this fellrnr article (Section 4, with lots of references) that the 2.5-3 hour long run is based on an animal study (which is fine I guess), but there is at least one other study that doesn’t have the same results. And it seems to correlate longer long runs with better times (but is that because faster people are running longer??). https://fellrnr.com/wiki/The_Science_of_the_Long_Run

In my own ‘study’ the 2.5-3 hour long run has worked great and I have PR’d with it. But, I also just PR’d a 10k with run/walk, so I think any plan that has some sort of reason behind it can have great results if it is followed.

We are headed to Savannah for me to run my 50th half, and spent the last while catching up on this thread (me reading aloud while DH drives). I haven’t been able to train (I’ve only done two short runs since PW), so this one’s going to be a real struggle. I’ve had a lot of health issues, and this distance is now really tough for me. I’m not sure if this will be my final half or not. The only thing I’m registered for after this is the Peachtree. I want to keep running, but I might need to stick with shorter distances. I just don’t know at this point. I’m hoping to get in the 10k for MW, and DH wants to do the full again. The last time I ran the full was 2020 (and it turned out that I had the flu and covid while running it). I haven’t been the same runner since (heart rate goes very high when running and my pace is very slow). My cardiologist thinks I have long covid. Throw in a major emergency abdominal surgery in 2022, with complications, and my running times got even worse. It’s frustrating, but I feel like I need to get to 50 before I possibly retire from the half distance. I could use any encouraging thoughts you have for me while I’m on the course tomorrow. Thank you!

The research on this issue shows that your body doesn’t see a significant increase in aerobic development, specifically mitochondrial development, when running over 90 minutes. The majority of physiological stimulus of long runs occurs between the 60 and 90 minute mark. This means that after running for 3 hours, aerobic benefits (capillary building, mitochondrial development) aren’t markedly better than when you run for only 2 hours. A long run of over 3 hours builds about as much aerobic fitness as one lasting 2 hours. The term I’ve heard to describe these is “junk miles” where you get no benefit, but risk injury and make recovery harder. Here’s the literature on the subject:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6295989/

I appreciate scientific references as I am a biomedical engineering professor and do research in bone and muscle mechanics. I also appreciate that there are limitations to animal studies (I have conducted animal studies on fracture healing and bone implant interfaces). We have to be careful extrapolating results from animal studies to people. Thank you for sharing this though!

We are headed to Savannah for me to run my 50th half, and spent the last while catching up on this thread (me reading aloud while DH drives). I haven’t been able to train (I’ve only done two short runs since PW), so this one’s going to be a real struggle. I’ve had a lot of health issues, and this distance is now really tough for me. I’m not sure if this will be my final half or not. The only thing I’m registered for after this is the Peachtree. I want to keep running, but I might need to stick with shorter distances. I just don’t know at this point. I’m hoping to get in the 10k for MW, and DH wants to do the full again. The last time I ran the full was 2020 (and it turned out that I had the flu and covid while running it). I haven’t been the same runner since (heart rate goes very high when running and my pace is very slow). My cardiologist thinks I have long covid. Throw in a major emergency abdominal surgery in 2022, with complications, and my running times got even worse. It’s frustrating, but I feel like I need to get to 50 before I possibly retire from the half distance. I could use any encouraging thoughts you have for me while I’m on the course tomorrow. Thank you!

I am sorry for your health issues. Honor where you are now with your body and do what you can to stay healthy. All this talk of r/w/r seems like this is a great way to keep your heart rate in check. Be safe!

My cousin is in Houston and she was asking me about my treadmill yesterday. She's got 2-year-old twins and I'm sure having a treadmill at home would make training for her easier. Put a movie on for the twins (and her), and do a long run inside during the summer.

I appreciate scientific references as I am a biomedical engineering professor and do research in bone and muscle mechanics. I also appreciate that there are limitations to animal studies (I have conducted animal studies on fracture healing and bone implant interfaces). We have to be careful extrapolating results from animal studies to people. Thank you for sharing this though!
One of those studies got me off soda almost cold turkey. I was drinking 2 sodas a day in middle school, and then freshman year during lacrosse I may have had a stress fracture in my shin. My dad then told me BU did a study with soda and its affects on mice causing stress fractures.

Now I rarely have a soda. I stick with water and milk when I'm not drinking wine with dinner. Since osteoporosis runs in my family, my doctor wants me focusing on more calcium consumption.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter