Marathon Weekend 2025

This is my husband’s logic. I don’t have to travel to do them either. I recently told him if I do MW, I’ll stop talking about it. 😂 At least until I’m ready to sign up for another race.
I just finished laughing (with you) long enough to reply. It has been my experience that participating in MW leads one to talking even more about it (to excess according to my wife and certain relatives). There is no known cure for this, but (to your point) symptoms are mitigated by signing up for another race.

I have also had people (including one rather grumpy co-worker who was a runner: "I don't know why you need to spend money to run. Just put on your sneakers and go do it") harumphing about organized races in general, and the cost of something like MW in particular. Yeah, I get it: I can run locally for nothing or for a lot less for nearby races. But that ignores the fun of going somewhere new/different to go run. For me, I haven't run many non-local places other than WDW, but I'm now looking at more travel races just for the fun of combining travel and races. For myself, I mused on how fun it would be to run in the parks before I found out that Disney hosted races, so that turned into a self-fulfilling wish.

The grumpy view also ignores the experience of being with/around/amongst hundreds or thousands of fellow runners, and the energy and excitement of running a race with them. For my very first half, it was MW and I flew down. As we went to push back, the flight attendant asked how many were going to MW, and probably half the airplane raised their hands. How cool just to be part of that. Ditto all the nods, waves, and comments with fellow runners at a race, Disney or otherwise, and seeing all the other race shirts people are wearing.

Gads, I never imagined become a runner and somewhat of a health nut in my old(er) age. :)

I just finished laughing (with you) long enough to reply. It has been my experience that participating in MW leads one to talking even more about it (to excess according to my wife and certain relatives). There is no known cure for this, but (to your point) symptoms are mitigated by signing up for another race.

I have also had people (including one rather grumpy co-worker who was a runner: "I don't know why you need to spend money to run. Just put on your sneakers and go do it") harumphing about organized races in general, and the cost of something like MW in particular. Yeah, I get it: I can run locally for nothing or for a lot less for nearby races. But that ignores the fun of going somewhere new/different to go run. For me, I haven't run many non-local places other than WDW, but I'm now looking at more travel races just for the fun of combining travel and races. For myself, I mused on how fun it would be to run in the parks before I found out that Disney hosted races, so that turned into a self-fulfilling wish.

The grumpy view also ignores the experience of being with/around/amongst hundreds or thousands of fellow runners, and the energy and excitement of running a race with them. For my very first half, it was MW and I flew down. As we went to push back, the flight attendant asked how many were going to MW, and probably half the airplane raised their hands. How cool just to be part of that. Ditto all the nods, waves, and comments with fellow runners at a race, Disney or otherwise, and seeing all the other race shirts people are wearing.

Gads, I never imagined become a runner and somewhat of a health nut in my old(er) age. :)
I like traveling to races too, but my travel is being put on hold because I'm planning on a 40th birthday trip to Princess next year, and a week at Coronado Springs cost money :P

I have a hard time running local races because while I'm getting out of my neighborhood, there's no special factor about local races. I just moved to Colorado Springs so maybe local races will be better than around Denver. Maybe? My main thing is parking, and of course with Disney, I take the bus and don't have to worry about the parking situation.

I've also become a fan of starting early in the morning before the sun is up. It keeps the heat at bay, and some local races don't start until 8:30 or 9am.

I've also become a fan of starting early in the morning before the sun is up. It keeps the heat at bay, and some local races don't start until 8:30 or 9am.
This would’ve solved the whole problem at Twin Cities Marathon Weekend last year, where they had to cancel the 10 Miler and the Marathon because of excessive heat—if we’d started at 5 am instead of 7 or 8 am, we could’ve been done/close to done before it got obscenely hot for the first Sunday in October in MN.

This would’ve solved the whole problem at Twin Cities Marathon Weekend last year, where they had to cancel the 10 Miler and the Marathon because of excessive heat—if we’d started at 5 am instead of 7 or 8 am, we could’ve been done/close to done before it got obscenely hot for the first Sunday in October in MN.
I wonder what percentage of their volunteers they'd lose if folks had to be out setting up 3 am instead of 5 or 6 am? That might be a big factor for local races.

I do the RNR half or 5k most years in DC. This year I was running late, so they had already started the 5k.

But the race support & fans are amazing on the half. The course has mostly Ben the same for years, and people come out of their houses or apartments to cheer on the runners.

I keep going back because it’s a really fun race. So if anyone is looking for a fun half with a very relaxed pace, I recommend this one. It does have a couple huge hills though.

I went to the half finish line & cheered in the last 30 runners. I hope they appreciated having people there.

I went to the half finish line & cheered in the last 30 runners. I hope they appreciated having people there.

As someone who has been at the very back of the pack a few times, I assure you they do! It is discouraging to feel like everyone has gone home, they're just waiting to tear things down, and nobody cares if you finish or not.

I used to go out and spectate for the last hour or so at the SLC Marathon most years before we moved, and one year the race director came over to ask who I was waiting for. When I told her I was just cheering for the final finishers, she gave me a huge hug! I'd love to go join the group that does this for the NYC marathon some year.

SAFD: Good morning RunDisney All Stars! March Madness is well and truly underway, both on the court and in the parks. So far there haven't been any Cinderella stories in March Magical Madness, as all four #1 seeds have advanced to our Final Four. Here are the results from last week's round, compiled from 53 votes, as our participation continues to increase:

Guardians of the Galaxy 36
Spaceship Earth 17

Toy Story Midway Mania 17
Rise of the Resistance 36

Haunted Mansion 30

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad 23

Expedition Everest 19
Kilimanjaro Safaris 34

We've officially reached the Clash of the Titans phase of the tournament. Who will prevail now that we have our first cross-park match-ups? You get to decide!

1711294194145.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter