Marathon Weekend 2025

Just found out that All Star Music has family suites. Has anyone stayed in one? What are your thoughts? I like AoA suites but the price is better on these.
I haven’t stayed in one, but I’ve looked at the pictures online and they look good to me. I’ve booked one for Springtime Surprise 2025 because my grandma might come with me and the price is about the same as 2 separate rooms at Pop, but with the added bonus of a kitchenette.

I haven’t stayed in one, but I’ve looked at the pictures online and they look good to me. I’ve booked one for Springtime Surprise 2025 because my grandma might come with me and the price is about the same as 2 separate rooms at Pop, but with the added bonus of a kitchenette.
Looks like 2 extra beds are queen sized too. My 6ft 1in 15 year old would appreciate that.

Also, how are the buses from all star music? Do all the all star resorts share the same bus? I have heard that the buses there take longer.

Just found out that All Star Music has family suites. Has anyone stayed in one? What are your thoughts? I like AoA suites but the price is better on these.
We stayed there a couple of times when our 4 kids were younger! We liked them quite a bit. The kitchenette is nice, as was having 2 bathrooms. Not sure how an adult would feel about the fold out beds, but my kiddos were perfectly happy and slept great.

Here's a quick wrap-up of last week's SAFD results before we move on to this week's question. We had 45 votes submitted for the Skyliner Bracket favorite attractions poll, beating our participation in the Kingdom Bracket!

In Epcot, Guardians of the Galaxy ruled the day with an absolutely dominant showing. Soarin', Spaceship Earth and Living With the Land rounded out our top four, leaving Remy on the outside looking in. Can Guardians maintain its momentum when it meets the other parks? We'll find out in a few weeks!

In Hollywood Studios, hidden rebel agents among us ensured that Rise of the Resistance got its due as the favorite attraction. Tower of Terror came in second, showing the timelessness of the Twilight Zone. Toy Story Midway Mania made the third position, giving carnival games everywhere hope for the future. We rounded out the top four with Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railroad.

As a reminder, each attraction was awarded 7 points for a 1st place vote, 5 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd and 1 for 4th, with total points being tallied for their overall score. Here are the results for each park, with the attractions advancing to March Magical Madness highlighted in green. We'll start the head to head voting in two weeks.

1709479633564.png

1709479671289.png

Good morning RunDisney All-Stars! Welcome to this week's edition of Sundays are for Disney (SAFD). We'll get back to March Magical Madness next weekend, but let's talk more running this week. At the end of January, we talked about our favorite RunDisney races. There's a wide world of running outside of Disney, though, so what are your favorite non-Disney races? Any time, anywhere, any distance, everything's fair game here.

SAFD: There are a good number of races run near me in central NC, but I struggle to call any of them favorites, as nothing really stands out with them. The races that I love tend to be on the outer banks of NC. I grew up fishing with my father on the outer banks, so that gives the region a strong emotional pull for me. Chief among the ones that I've run are Blackbeard's Revenge 100k/100m and Badwater Cape Fear with 40 of its 51 miles on the beach itself. Both marvelous races with beautiful coastal scenery and well run. I'm hoping to get to Kill Devil Hills in April to run the Flying Pirate Half Marathon that starts and finishes at the Wright Brothers Memorial. I've wanted to run it for a long time, but the timing just hasn't worked out. So many races, so little time.

SAFD: my favorite non-Disney race is the Twin Cities Marathon Weekend Loony Challenge (ok, it’s technically 3 races)
There’s always a ton of crowd support for the 10K/5K day, and for the end of the race on the 10 Miler day (since it’s shared with the Marathon and the Marathon is a BIG DEAL)

SAFD:
I've only ever run a few charity/fun runs and one 10k not at Disney, so I'll write about races I'd like to do.

The DONNA sounds amazing as far as race support and just the general spirit of the weekend. And the Space Coast races always look like fun. I like that you can choose a party route or a more serious route.

Other than that... I'm a big fan of races that give me an excuse to travel and I love the national parks, so I've been looking at Vacation Races and wondering if one of those might be fun to add to my list. And of course there's a challenge! I could do the Grand Teton and Yellowstone 5ks and half marathons on back to back weekends and get three extra medals! Not this year, though.

SAFD: Gasparilla Distance Classic in Tampa it was my gateway race as I came home from a vacation in November 2014 saw a posting by the time clock about employee discount registration and thought well it’s almost a 2 mile walk to the bus stop I can speed that up to a brisk jog and add another 1.1 miles and do the 5K walk event….

This past February was my 10th year and since then I’ve done all distances (5k, 8k, 15k & half) at least once (the 15k/8k challenge being my most ran event)

SAFD:

I was somewhat shocked at how much I enjoyed the Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon a couple years ago. I loved running at dusk vs. early in the AM. Running the full strip, being a virtually 100% out and back so we could see all the other runners the whole time, and having it turn to night with the lights coming on was really awesome. I’m more of a Disney guy than a Vegas guy, so it’s not one that immediately became an every year must do, but I will definitely run that race again at some point in the future.

SAFD: Gasparilla Distance Classic in Tampa it was my gateway race as I came home from a vacation in November 2014 saw a posting by the time clock about employee discount registration and thought well it’s almost a 2 mile walk to the bus stop I can speed that up to a brisk jog and add another 1.1 miles and do the 5K walk event….

This past February was my 10th year and since then I’ve done all distances (5k, 8k, 15k & half) at least once (the 15k/8k challenge being my most ran event)
This one is high on my bucket list! I usually run princess though. This year I ran Clearwater Running Festival instead of Princess, but since I’m not local I couldn’t justify another trip to Florida a few weeks later. One year it will happen!

SAFD: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend is my favorite non Disney race. It offers several distances and challenges. I’ve run all the individual distances over the years and one of the challenges a few times. It has the most distance through the city of all the Philadelphia races (vs just out and back along the river that a lot of the races do) and usually the weather is good although it can be cold/windy/snow or rain.

SAFD:

I was somewhat shocked at how much I enjoyed the Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon a couple years ago. I loved running at dusk vs. early in the AM. Running the full strip, being a virtually 100% out and back so we could see all the other runners the whole time, and having it turn to night with the lights coming on was really awesome. I’m more of a Disney guy than a Vegas guy, so it’s not one that immediately became an every year must do, but I will definitely run that race again at some point in the future.
That’s one I’d like to do sometime

SAFD: I choose Boston for many reasons. First, I'm a native Mass-hole, so even though I was not a runner til much later in adulthood, it still has an emotional pull and I followed the exploits of others (Bill Rodgers, the Hoyts). Second, running Boston the first time was something I never would have thought would happen to me. Not running the distance, not qualifying, none of it. So I do feel a sense of pride/accomplishment.

And that first race gave me so many memories: From seeing my first "male runners peeing in the woods" (outside Hopkinton HS), my ears ringing when I passed Wellesley college, passing Fenway asking the score of the game, my daughter meeting me in Kenmore Square for a hug and to take my running belt before that last mile, seeing a couple of my sisters in the crowd as I went" right on Hereford, left on Boylston."

Last edited:
SAFD: Although I would love to do many of these someday, my favorite non-Disney race that I've actually run (I think three times now?) is Rock 'n' Roll DC. The course is hands-down my favorite in the District, the entertainment is fun, the medals and t-shrits are always great, and it's well organized and executed. I'd definitely recommend it over the cherry blossom 10-miler if you're looking to run during cherry blossoms - the timing usually lines up better for peak bloom anyway, and it's much better-run.

SAFD: Hmmm I've only done non-Disney races in my home state of Texas. A couple that have stood out to me include Austin's 5-miler Turkey Trot. It is well organized, a fun course, and of course a festive atmosphere. Our local joint reserve base started putting on a 10 miler that's pretty fun as well; it starts with a flyover then you get to run down the runway, past fighter jets, etc. No crowd support since it's on the base, but the atmosphere is still pretty unique!

SAFD: my favorite non Disney races are ones that are well organized. After doing Disney so many times, it’s hard when big races aren’t organized. I do give small local races a pass because they are limited in their resources.

That being said, I loved the MCM 10k, even with it pouring before the start, and the Hot Chocolate series in Denver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter